Another one BITES the DUST!!!πŸ˜₯

Related:
Create New Tag

3/18/2021 11:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/18/2021 12:06 PM

Awful news this is now the 6th track that has CLOSED in Arizona since I moved here 33 years ago and that was one of the reasons I moved here in the first place as they were closing tracks in So Cal!

Sad state of affairs, for today's youth that is spending more time playing video games than actually going outside.

I was there when it first opened and raced many times, such good memories.

Thank you Jonah for all your Blood Sweat and Tears you put into ET. sad
Photo

Photo

|

3/18/2021 11:55 AM

Terrible news. Saw an Instagram post from USAC (sprint cars) that it had 3 races remaining there and it was gone. I assumed it was just a matter of time there but this is sudden.

|

3/18/2021 12:06 PM

Sad et was the first track I rode when I moved out their.
That's sucks.

|

3/18/2021 12:15 PM

Thats my thumbs down G-man πŸ‘†. Hate to see this

|

3/18/2021 12:17 PM

I am pretty sure they are going to develop the land around the track into housing. Just yesterday someone was telling me that a big developer acquired a bunch of land on the south side of Apache, which would be near the track.

|

3/18/2021 12:25 PM

Thumbs down that sucks. I haven’t ridden any tracks out in AZ but everyone always said that place was really fun.

|

Don't ever let facts get in the way of a great story

3/18/2021 1:45 PM

Is that the one out past Fountain Hills? I never got to ride there when I lived in Phx. It looked cool, though.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

3/18/2021 2:40 PM

Bummer indeed, really hate that we're losing yet another track.

|

3/18/2021 3:02 PM

We're down to three in the whole state now?

|

3/18/2021 3:04 PM

Noise kills another track.

Electric bikes are a simple, complete solution.

|

3/18/2021 3:08 PM

msp332 wrote:

Noise kills another track.

Electric bikes are a simple, complete solution.

Not even close has nothing to do woth noise.

|

3/18/2021 3:14 PM

yzf162 wrote:

Not even close has nothing to do woth noise.

"The Arizona State Land Department has decided that the facility and the noise it produces does not fit into their neighboring development plan and no further negotiations will be had."

What am I missing?
|

3/18/2021 3:24 PM

msp332 wrote:

Noise kills another track.

Electric bikes are a simple, complete solution.

yzf162 wrote:

Not even close has nothing to do woth noise.

msp332 wrote: "The Arizona State Land Department has decided that the facility and the noise it produces does not fit into their neighboring ...more

The one track was in now prime real estate. A developer talked a big game. The town or state saw $$$$ suddenly the track is noisy and doesn't fit their vision. Aka they were bought off.

|

3/18/2021 3:27 PM

Dang, that really sucks.

|

3/18/2021 3:35 PM

yzf162 wrote:

Not even close has nothing to do woth noise.

msp332 wrote: "The Arizona State Land Department has decided that the facility and the noise it produces does not fit into their neighboring ...more
SmokinJoe439 wrote:

The one track was in now prime real estate. A developer talked a big game. The town or state saw $$$$ suddenly the track is ...more

There is plenty of available land surrounding the track. But nobody wants to live there because the track creates too much noise, or at least that is the argument.

Eliminate the noise, eliminate that argument.

Residential real estate and the resulting taxes from it will always be preferred over any place to ride. The only solutions involve solving the noise at the track or controlling the land uses surrounding the track until there is enough distance to solve the noise problem.

|

3/18/2021 3:51 PM

msp332 wrote: "The Arizona State Land Department has decided that the facility and the noise it produces does not fit into their neighboring ...more
SmokinJoe439 wrote:

The one track was in now prime real estate. A developer talked a big game. The town or state saw $$$$ suddenly the track is ...more

msp332 wrote:

There is plenty of available land surrounding the track. But nobody wants to live there because the track creates too much ...more

So you think. My friend said back in Pomona ca. There was a long time bmx track nearby some houses. Compared to a mx track it was quite. The loudest thing was the starting gate crashing. The PA was turned down you could barely hear it and the occasional metal clang from bike crashes cheers from the crowd.

Guess what they still got noise complaints from the nearby houses. Electric bikes are definitely louder than a bmx bikes. Even at the track I could hear the alta this guy was riding when it was on the gas even with all the other bikes. And that was just one so imagine 30 - 40 of them all at once. It's still audible its just a different type of noise.

If it's not the noise it will be the dust if it's not the dust it will be the crowds. If you took a bunch of teenagers and told them to go stand in a parking lot and not do anything. Some fool would complain.

|

3/18/2021 4:13 PM

SmokinJoe439 wrote:

So you think. My friend said back in Pomona ca. There was a long time bmx track nearby some houses. Compared to a mx track it ...more

There is an objective way to argue and defend against noise complaints. I'm an acoustical engineer. Noise levels can be measured and compared to local ordinances (either municipal code or general plan). While anyone can complain, anyone can show how loud their facility is and how that compares to governing laws or noise from other surrounding uses (airport, automobile traffic, etc.).

If the track is in fact quiet enough, there is a very straightforward way to eliminate any validity of noise complaints.

Dust - water. Measure air quality.

Teenagers gathering in a parking lot - right to assemble and freedom of speech, 1st amendment.

There is a successful, objective defense against all these complaints. We're not helpless. We just need to fix it.

|

3/18/2021 4:32 PM

msp332 wrote:

Noise kills another track.

Electric bikes are a simple, complete solution.

Not even close.

Politicians and Land Developers killed another track. It wasn't the noise, the dust, the 4 strokes, the 2 strokes, etc. Welcome to the spread of "Californication".

Just ask Washington, Idaho, Colorado, Montana, Texas, and a track near you....Arizona.

|

3/18/2021 4:45 PM

That sucks... participation is the number one issue in the sport.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


3/18/2021 4:53 PM

msp332 wrote:

Noise kills another track.

Electric bikes are a simple, complete solution.

LewDizzle wrote:

Not even close.

Politicians and Land Developers killed another track. It wasn't the noise, the dust, the 4 strokes, the 2 ...more

I believe it. My sister and parents live in mesa. My sister just bought a house like a month ago. Says new housing inventory is low there. Competition to get one was ridiculous.

|

3/18/2021 4:53 PM

msp332 wrote:

There is plenty of available land surrounding the track. But nobody wants to live there because the track creates too much ...more

SmokinJoe439 wrote:

So you think. My friend said back in Pomona ca. There was a long time bmx track nearby some houses. Compared to a mx track it ...more

msp332 wrote:

There is an objective way to argue and defend against noise complaints. I'm an acoustical engineer. Noise levels can be ...more

Yes you might have an argument for those complaints, what's your argument for the politicians putting money ( tax revenue) before a race track? The track can't compete with a big neighborhood in tax revenue. Unfortunately it's the dollars and cents that matter.

|

3/18/2021 5:14 PM

LOL, do you know how much money his land is worth... He sold out.

|

3/18/2021 5:16 PM

sad RIP ET

Photo
|

3/18/2021 5:25 PM

msp332 wrote:

Noise kills another track.

Electric bikes are a simple, complete solution.

LewDizzle wrote:

Not even close.

Politicians and Land Developers killed another track. It wasn't the noise, the dust, the 4 strokes, the 2 ...more

SmokinJoe439 wrote:

I believe it. My sister and parents live in mesa. My sister just bought a house like a month ago. Says new housing inventory ...more

No surprise to me one bit. My neighbors just put their 3 bedroom, 1 bath 1968 rambler on the market last weekend. Asked $340k (which is still too much). Bidding war insued. House was sold by Sunday for $520k - cash up front. Its nuts man. Feel bad for your sis, its a super-tough market out there now

Tracks cant compete with developers and the politicians alike. They are hand in hand and in each others pockets if ya know what I mean. Its like lining up a PeeWee racer vs. Stewart and seeing who wins. Though the noise, dust, etc certainly doesnt help our sport, thats not the real reason tracks are closing. They just use that excuse to put kindling onto a bonfire.

There are at least 2 locally owned golf courses that have recently shut down in my area that I know of. Golf isnt really known for noise and dust issues right? City and state politicians refused them water rights. Strong-armed them outta business only to sell the land to developers.......from....wait for it.....California.

|

3/18/2021 5:44 PM

It really sucks. I lived right around the corner for 8+ years. Unfortunately it's not surprising considering how San Tan Valley and Queen Creek have blown up. They're totally ok with Williams Field and the new expressway going in, but $ talks. I more than doubled my money on more than one house in AZ. First time in Gilbert before the crash, right next to what is now the 202 and the mall and the 2nd time was 2 years ago in San Tan Valley. So when people are coming in with stupid money just to buy (and probably creating a 2nd bubble.. but that's another story) you know an MX track isn't going to compete. Don't be surprised when the rest of the state trust land east of Ironwood is sold off too in "everyone's best interest". And San Tan Valley isn't even incorporated as a town yet. Crazy.

|

Indecision is a choice

3/18/2021 5:45 PM

Photo
There is nothing within a mile of the track. I do not think the reason for closing is because someone wants to build residential exactly where the track is.

The area around it is not suitable for residential, specifically from "the noise it produces" from the OP.

Less sound = more ground.
|

3/18/2021 6:56 PM

skeef wrote:

LOL, do you know how much money his land is worth... He sold out.

It's not his land and Jonah did not sell out.
It is state trust land and when I was there awhile back he told me that he probably would not renew his lease.

I imagine each year it got to be more hoops to jump thru and more $$ to lease.

|

3/18/2021 7:04 PM

But loud harleys creat noise around the country and that is ok?

|

3/18/2021 7:05 PM

RIP that was a good track. I was ripping it regularly 2013-2014. Good dirt and I always enjoyed hitting that big booter In the back.

Anyone in here ever ride moto grande back in the day? In Casa grande ? That was one kick ass track.

|

3/18/2021 7:08 PM

LewDizzle wrote:

Not even close.

Politicians and Land Developers killed another track. It wasn't the noise, the dust, the 4 strokes, the 2 ...more

^ He ain't lying! There is hardly even places to just ride in WA west of the Columbia anymore sad Literally everywhere I rode/raced growing up is now housing developments. It is amazing to me that SIR/Pacific Raceways has been able to battle off all of the legal BS over the years. The houses keep getting closer, hopefully they keep whatever attorney they have, succeeding so far.

I also share your sentiments for how we ended up like this.

|