Another oil thread - Who DARES to go against Momma KTM's recommended Motorex?

mxb2
10/20/2017 2:47pm
mxb2 wrote:
Didn't you get a manual with your bike? Best $60 you'll spend. My Fe came with one.
markit wrote:
No but he's going to fallow it to a T.
sgrimmxdad wrote:
I said I have a new FE on order, so no manual. Didn't say I was going to follow it to a "T." Just said I...
I said I have a new FE on order, so no manual.

Didn't say I was going to follow it to a "T." Just said I use the recommend oil, it can't hurt.... I change mine more often than called for, does it help? Probably not, does it hurt? Absolutely not....
My bad, was gonna check my manual for you. You should receive one and a air pump, tool kit with your new ktm. Bobpa, gave ya the info. Depends on rider 3-7 hrs , oil change,. Air filter as needed. Oil filter change every other oil change.
Vet Rider
10/20/2017 2:54pm
markit wrote:
No but he's going to fallow it to a T.
sgrimmxdad wrote:
I said I have a new FE on order, so no manual. Didn't say I was going to follow it to a "T." Just said I...

Didn't say I was going to follow it to a "T." Just said I use the recommend oil, it can't hurt.... I change mine more often than called for, does it help? Probably not, does it hurt? Absolutely not....
mxb2 wrote:
My bad, was gonna check my manual for you. You should receive one and a air pump, tool kit with your new ktm. Bobpa, gave ya...
My bad, was gonna check my manual for you. You should receive one and a air pump, tool kit with your new ktm. Bobpa, gave ya the info. Depends on rider 3-7 hrs , oil change,. Air filter as needed. Oil filter change every other oil change.
No more tool kits.
10/20/2017 2:58pm
The whole thing with Motorex and KTM is a mutual working agreement where KTM uses and recomends Motorex in all their new assemblies and servicing and in return receives a lower purchase price and race team backing from Motorex. It helps keep KTM costs down and in return Motorex sells more oil to KTM servicing, the DIY mechanic and those that ask that Motorex be used when getting their machine serviced eleswhere because it has a sticker on it and for fear of failure by using another brand of oil. A win-win for both.
All oils have ratings and specifications from various organisations worldwide (look on the back SG, SH, SJ etc) and it is this specification that you need to follow as stated in your manual because that is what has been found to offer the right amount of lubrication protection during testing at the factory.
Read this simple to understand piece below for better understanding. Any engine is still an engine but they all have different operating requirements and demands. Same with suspension, transmissions, final drives etc.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a53/1266801/
While I personally have found the Motorex to be a good oil and have seen no detremental effects using it as the service department oil by association at KTM workshops, I'm a big fan of Motul engine and transmission oils. The self bonding to parts of their top line oils is what I find the greatest thing. Although I do use the Motorex suspension fluids because they just don't seem to get as dirty or smelly as the Motul when servicing and the red colour shows this up over the brown. I've had nothing but good experience from Belray products also.
I'll leave the penny pinching/try this oil and see what happens to my expensive motorcycle to someone else.
tempura
10/20/2017 3:05pm
twotwosix wrote:
As long as the oil meets the MFG required API specs/HTSV and is motorcycle specific, go for it. The problems come when idiots run car oil...
As long as the oil meets the MFG required API specs/HTSV and is motorcycle specific, go for it.

The problems come when idiots run car oil in their dirtbikes. If the oil is going to be cycled through your transmission and clutch, IT HAS TO BE MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC or it will break down WAY faster than is acceptable.
Unless you own one of the previous model Honda's, which has the motor and trans oil separated.
I believe, in this case car oil shouldn't cause any problems in the motor side?

The Shop

49weasel
10/20/2017 3:06pm
Rekluse does not recommend Rotella anymore. Shell changed the formula when the bottle changed.
mxb2
10/20/2017 3:42pm
sgrimmxdad wrote:

mxb2 wrote:
My bad, was gonna check my manual for you. You should receive one and a air pump, tool kit with your new ktm. Bobpa, gave ya...
Vet Rider wrote:
No more tool kits.
That sucks.
mx317
10/20/2017 4:15pm
49weasel wrote:
Rekluse does not recommend Rotella anymore. Shell changed the formula when the bottle changed.
Not true according to the video on their website. It shows several oils that would be ok including Rotella. At the end of the video they show the back of a Rotella jug with the Jaso MA rating. https://rekluse.com/faq/
49weasel
10/20/2017 5:08pm
49weasel wrote:
mx317 wrote:
Not true according to the video on their website. It shows several oils that would be ok including Rotella. At the end of the video they...
Not true according to the video on their website. It shows several oils that would be ok including Rotella. At the end of the video they show the back of a Rotella jug with the Jaso MA rating. https://rekluse.com/faq/
I had 2 long conversation with 2 different people at Rekluse in the last week and both said stay away from the new bottle Rotella.
I was a diehard Rotella guy until recently. I have had nothing but trouble with my 18 CRF450 clutch and have been picking the brains of the guys at Hinson and Rekluse. Hinson highly suggested not to run Rotella also.
JM485
10/20/2017 5:11pm
disbanded wrote:
What planet are we on that someone would change their oil after every ride and their piston after 10 hours?
Some things I can understand, but then I read stuff like that and can't even begin to fathom in my mind how they came to the conclusion things like that were necessary. Or that a name on a bottle of oil is the only thing keeping the delicate balancing act of smooth operation and catastrophic failure in harmony within their highly strung stock KTM motor. . .
TeamGreen
10/20/2017 5:22pm
agn5009 wrote:
Every 3 hours? Damn.

I use amsoil in my KTM 300. No issues.
So, is it REALLY bad that I change my oil every ride, my longest day being 90 minutes of run time? Some days it's only an...
So, is it REALLY bad that I change my oil every ride, my longest day being 90 minutes of run time? Some days it's only an hour, still hits the drain pan.
disbanded wrote:
What planet are we on that someone would change their oil after every ride and their piston after 10 hours?
Bro! You're Obviously NOT Factory, Bro! Do you even torque your sprocket bolts, Bro? Pfffft.

Bro, out at the dunes I'm like "Brrrrraaaaaap, Brrrrrrraaaaaaap" all the way thru 6th gear, Bro! Faster than Factory!

I change my oil after every ride, Bro. Even if I'm only out in the dunes for a week! I go home and drain that black stinky sledge out every damn time.

I'm Factory, Bro!

Recognize!
4rings
10/20/2017 6:18pm
Key word is recommended. Manufacturers have oil contracts for the factory fill, what they stock in dealerships, and what they recommend in the owners manual. Motorex is the good shit, but if you are concerned running a different brand maybe send out for an oil analysis?
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
10/20/2017 7:04pm
49weasel wrote:
mx317 wrote:
Not true according to the video on their website. It shows several oils that would be ok including Rotella. At the end of the video they...
49weasel wrote:
I had 2 long conversation with 2 different people at Rekluse in the last week and both said stay away from the new bottle Rotella. I...
I had 2 long conversation with 2 different people at Rekluse in the last week and both said stay away from the new bottle Rotella.
I was a diehard Rotella guy until recently. I have had nothing but trouble with my 18 CRF450 clutch and have been picking the brains of the guys at Hinson and Rekluse. Hinson highly suggested not to run Rotella also.
Which is the, "new bottle" they have a bunch of different oils.
yeroc281
10/20/2017 7:19pm
If you think about it you drop up to $10000 on a bike then complain about the price of oil that the manufacturer recommends for your $10000 ride. Why not just get a $2000 bike, bikes do the same this just like oil is the same right? I don't understand the logic.
mxb2
10/20/2017 7:22pm
yeroc281 wrote:
If you think about it you drop up to $10000 on a bike then complain about the price of oil that the manufacturer recommends for your...
If you think about it you drop up to $10000 on a bike then complain about the price of oil that the manufacturer recommends for your $10000 ride. Why not just get a $2000 bike, bikes do the same this just like oil is the same right? I don't understand the logic.
Or buy a skateboard lol: GrinningGrinning
10/20/2017 7:35pm
Vet Rider wrote:
I actually do think I get the point of the thread considering Im the author of this thread. But hey what do I know....Ahahahaha
lol that was pretty hilarious
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4002nd
10/20/2017 7:48pm
I ran Motorex Cross Power 4T for the 1st year or so after buying my 350exc new. Now I run Amsoil 10w60 Synthetic Dirtbike Oil & have had 0 issues. I change my oil/filter every 6-8hrs unless I have one of those 16hr dualsport rides.

From Amsoil’s website:
10W-60 Synthetic Dirt Bike Oil: recommended for KTM, Husqvarna and other dirt bikes where 10W-60 motorcycle oil is used. Recommended in place of Motorex Cross Power 4T. JASO MA, API SG, SJ, SH, SL.

disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
10/20/2017 7:50pm
I change my oil every 30 seconds
JM485
10/20/2017 8:02pm
yeroc281 wrote:
If you think about it you drop up to $10000 on a bike then complain about the price of oil that the manufacturer recommends for your...
Except that oil has to pass minimum standards, a used dirtbike in Craigslist does not. Do you run Royal Purple in your car just because it's a $10000+ car and you want to buy expensive oil just to say you did?
10/20/2017 8:12pm
disbanded wrote:
I change my oil every 30 seconds
I run a front number plate fuel tank for the gas, converted my main fuel tank to an oil tank and engine to total loss lubrication system. There's no way I'm chancing my oil to more than one rotation of the crank.
Fuel range is a little shitty but my engine oil is on point Cool
coastie44
10/20/2017 8:26pm
Another vote for Motul in the correct/ recommended viscosity.
Squidward
10/20/2017 8:28pm
I ran Motorex Cross Power 4T for the 1st year or so after buying my 350exc new. Now I run Amsoil 10w60 Synthetic Dirtbike Oil &...
I ran Motorex Cross Power 4T for the 1st year or so after buying my 350exc new. Now I run Amsoil 10w60 Synthetic Dirtbike Oil & have had 0 issues. I change my oil/filter every 6-8hrs unless I have one of those 16hr dualsport rides.

From Amsoil’s website:
10W-60 Synthetic Dirt Bike Oil: recommended for KTM, Husqvarna and other dirt bikes where 10W-60 motorcycle oil is used. Recommended in place of Motorex Cross Power 4T. JASO MA, API SG, SJ, SH, SL.

I want some Amsoil funnels like that....
deluxeman
10/20/2017 8:59pm
Oil is oil, the difference is in the additive packages that are used by different manufacturers. Years ago Sport Rider magazine did a pretty comprehensive test with many different brands. The additive packages do really make a difference especially in a bike with a wet clutch.
ob
10/20/2017 10:43pm
I used rotella for years no issues. On my 16 350 it really wasn't happy with rotella, tranny just didn't work like it should lots of false neutrals and very bad timing when it happend. Nowadays I only run the recommended motorex 10-60 and no more problemo.
captmoto
10/20/2017 10:53pm
teamchrist wrote:
I have run motorex for a long time. To me it is the best oil on the market. I used to have a lot of clutch...
I have run motorex for a long time. To me it is the best oil on the market. I used to have a lot of clutch problems, basically wearing out extremely fast. Switched to motorex and get triple the life out of my clutches using motorex compared to any other oil I have run. Everyone has their opinion mine is motoerex is cheap insurance. I also change my oil every 2 hours. Cheap insurance, better than replacing an expensive 4-stroke motor.
Since you are running the Motorex why not wait until 10 hours that KTM and Husky recommend? Are they right on the oil and wrong on the interval? The Motorex recommendation is marketing. Husky, same motor, recommends Belray, 10-50. Is the Belray a lesser quality oil?
swtwtwtw
10/20/2017 11:27pm
I know my FC250 makes less engine noise with motorex vs rotella, so I spend the 12 bucks per litre. Plus it lasts longer.
mx317
10/21/2017 5:18am
49weasel wrote:
I had 2 long conversation with 2 different people at Rekluse in the last week and both said stay away from the new bottle Rotella. I...
I just pointed out what was on THEIR website. The only difference in the newer Rotella is less zinc content which should not affect the clutch. I use Motorex because I get a good deal on it and it's what KTM recommends. Other Jaso MA oils would be fine including Rotella which is now Jaso rated.
49weasel
10/21/2017 5:59am
49weasel wrote:
mx317 wrote:
I just pointed out what was on THEIR website. The only difference in the newer Rotella is less zinc content which should not affect the clutch...
I just pointed out what was on THEIR website. The only difference in the newer Rotella is less zinc content which should not affect the clutch. I use Motorex because I get a good deal on it and it's what KTM recommends. Other Jaso MA oils would be fine including Rotella which is now Jaso rated.
I was certainly bummed because it’s cheap and seemed to be decent. I recently switched back to Belray Exp because a local shop has tons of it on clearance for $15 a gallon. The tech guy at Belray said that’s there is very little difference between EXP and the Thumper oil.

Post a reply to: Another oil thread - Who DARES to go against Momma KTM's recommended Motorex?

The Latest