Another mistake by WADA

Related:
Create New Tag

7/2/2021 11:49 AM

I love how some are using the argument that it's legal in her state....so the airline pilot from CO can test positive and it's ok while the pilot from FL loses his job...rules are there it's the responsibility of the athlete to know those rules and abide by them if they don't the consequences are very clearly stated....

|

“I’m not Swap…”

7/2/2021 11:51 AM

KurtJ99 wrote:

I don't think it's inconsistent to both hold the athlete accountable for breaking the known rules, and have sympathy for the ...more

kijen wrote:

Sure, everyone can have diffetent views, but th OP claims WADA made a mistake? Did they?

No, they didn't make a mistake by enforcing the rules. The conversation started to diverge from there.

|

7/2/2021 11:53 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/2/2021 11:54 AM

ama530 wrote:

Yup. That is their policy and they stick to it. I work for a HVAC company and we can't have anyone lit up on the job. Huge ...more

thatswhathappens wrote:

Also "weeds" out perfectly functional employees that opt to consume THC instead of alcohol to relax at the end of the day.

ama530 wrote:

Most of the 'perfectly functional" employees are home sitting on their a$$ collecting off the government and happy getting ...more

Stop grouping all of those people into one category. Get off your high horse. Smoke a joint, maybe you would loosen up a bit.

|

7/2/2021 12:04 PM

Only a 30 day suspension... Might still compete in the relays.

The Olympics are a joke, a sausage fest from way back. Trainer's abusing kids, PED's until testing time, sicko pedo's and more. Bruce Gender is a product of that environment. I don't watch and don't much care. But that's a man.

|

7/2/2021 12:12 PM

ama530 wrote:

Yup. That is their policy and they stick to it. I work for a HVAC company and we can't have anyone lit up on the job. Huge ...more

thatswhathappens wrote:

Also "weeds" out perfectly functional employees that opt to consume THC instead of alcohol to relax at the end of the day.

ama530 wrote:

Most of the 'perfectly functional" employees are home sitting on their a$$ collecting off the government and happy getting ...more

I wouldn't say most, but there is no doubt a lot of government leeches sitting at home getting stoned.

|

7/2/2021 12:14 PM

Photo
|

7/2/2021 12:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/2/2021 1:13 PM

Legality of drugs alone is not the only factor as to wether they are on WADAs list. Pseudo is also banned I believe. As are a lot of over the counter drugs.
Pot may be considered performance enhancing for some sports. Less hand tremors in shooting sports maybe?
Or does it mask other PEDs? I am not sure.
The WADA Code makes sense for Olympic type sports in my opinion, without it PEDs would be rife.
In sports where performance is 100% dependent on physical ability a super strict policy is a must.

I don’t think it’s an appropriate framework for MX/SX though.

https://www.usada.org/athletes/substances/marijuana-faq/

|

7/2/2021 1:07 PM

So by that logic, heroin likely isn't performance enhancing either, so it shouldn't be on the WADA ban list?

|

Make sure you downvote!

7/2/2021 1:12 PM

I would guess that would fall under the “Use of illicit drugs that are harmful to health and that may have performance-enhancing properties is not consistent with the athlete as a role model for young people around the world”. that was in the USADA link I posted

|

7/2/2021 2:10 PM

kijen wrote:

Athlete made the mistake, life time effort to get to the Olympics and cant stay off the weed for a few months, no sympathy. We ...more

Motoxdoc wrote:

I suppose at 21 y/o you could consider a few years dedicated to making the Olympics a life time effort. However, to not have ...more

So if you work for a company that has random drug tests and you get fired for testing positive for weed, it's the companies fault for having a dumb rule because it's legal in some states? MMMMK.

|

Facebook.com/8tensolutions
Twitter and Instagram @8tensolutions

7/2/2021 2:12 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/2/2021 2:20 PM

Motoxdoc wrote:

I suppose at 21 y/o you could consider a few years dedicated to making the Olympics a life time effort. However, to not have ...more

Wildeye511 wrote:

Please stop enabling. This is the problem with our country, we like to let everyone have an excuse for not doing what they are ...more

jjavaman wrote:

Perhaps weed is legal in her state? What happens if you fail a pot test at work and pot is legal in your state? Do you lose ...more

Yes. If your employer doesn't allow it. I don't know of any employer that allows weed. There are employers who choose not to drug test though.

|

Facebook.com/8tensolutions
Twitter and Instagram @8tensolutions

7/2/2021 2:21 PM

DonM wrote:

This has nothing to do with WADA and 100% to an athlete just being plain stupid...

Hard to feel sorry for a idiot that had the rules right in front of her.

|

7/2/2021 2:37 PM

kijen wrote:

Athlete made the mistake, life time effort to get to the Olympics and cant stay off the weed for a few months, no sympathy. We ...more

Motoxdoc wrote:

I suppose at 21 y/o you could consider a few years dedicated to making the Olympics a life time effort. However, to not have ...more

Wildeye511 wrote:

Please stop enabling. This is the problem with our country, we like to let everyone have an excuse for not doing what they are ...more

I believe you used the word "enabling" wrongly....and the idea that, "This is the problem with our country" is laughable. You obviously haven't been paying attention lately!!! Speak for yourself, not me, when you say, "We like to let everyone have an excuse for not doing what they are supposed to do." You feel bad that her mother died but not that her dreams were crushed? I suppose you have a wee bit of empathy, that's better than none. My point is that it is a stupid rule. Alcohol is undeniably MUCH more detrimental to the human body than weed....and you drink alcohol. If your boss said, "you are not supposed to" drink alcohol, how would that go over with you? Could you stop for 30 days? Would you?

|

7/2/2021 2:49 PM

kijen wrote:

Athlete made the mistake, life time effort to get to the Olympics and cant stay off the weed for a few months, no sympathy. We ...more

Motoxdoc wrote:

I suppose at 21 y/o you could consider a few years dedicated to making the Olympics a life time effort. However, to not have ...more

8tensolutions wrote:

So if you work for a company that has random drug tests and you get fired for testing positive for weed, it's the companies ...more

That's a random question to ask me, but I'll answer it. No. It's your own fault for working at a company that has a dumb rule and thinking you can cheat it. That doesn't make the rule any less dumb...and it wouldn't encourage me to voice a lack of empathy for that worker.

|

7/2/2021 2:57 PM

Motoxdoc wrote:

I suppose at 21 y/o you could consider a few years dedicated to making the Olympics a life time effort. However, to not have ...more

8tensolutions wrote:

So if you work for a company that has random drug tests and you get fired for testing positive for weed, it's the companies ...more

Motoxdoc wrote:

That's a random question to ask me, but I'll answer it. No. It's your own fault for working at a company that has a dumb rule ...more

Yep be self employed, or work a place that doesnt test. She knew they test, she got caught. Now deal with it. Not any valid excuses. We all have rules in life. Quit playing victims,look in the mirror, Todays society, blame everybody else Plenty other ways to relax and stress.

|

7/2/2021 2:57 PM

Wildeye511 wrote:

Please stop enabling. This is the problem with our country, we like to let everyone have an excuse for not doing what they are ...more

jjavaman wrote:

Perhaps weed is legal in her state? What happens if you fail a pot test at work and pot is legal in your state? Do you lose ...more

sandtrack315 wrote:

Weed is legal in her state.

I am not saying it was not a mistake on her part. That's not up for debate. I am saying it's a ...more

You can get all sorts of performance enhancing
treatments legally. The legality of weed is not really relevant. It’s about the sports rules not state laws.

|

7/2/2021 3:18 PM

jbonemalone wrote:

It’s not a mistake if they tested positive for a substance that’s not legal.
Legal in locations under numerous circumstances ...more

100% agree. An athlete aiming for the Olympics should know these things.

Now, how does this violation get a one month suspension while MXers have seen 2 - 4 years for equally trivial offenses?

|

7/2/2021 3:35 PM

It’s 2021, we just went through a pandemic that killed hundreds of thousands of people, and we’ve gained so little perspective that we’re still going to dampen an athletes career because they smoked a joint. Give me a fucking break, the mentality and self importance of these people is just insane.

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



7/2/2021 3:46 PM

EngIceDave wrote:

So by that logic, heroin likely isn't performance enhancing either, so it shouldn't be on the WADA ban list?

Yes. This is America we are supposed to be free and take personal responsibility for our actions. Do things responsibly and safely or not at all.

|

7/2/2021 3:49 PM

This should probably be moved to non-moto. I meant it as an indictment of WADA in general but also specifically to how it’s impacted motocross. One of our athletes could be next. But y’all want to chat about transgender athletes and how uncool you are.

|

7/2/2021 4:15 PM

fourfourone wrote:

some of the old timers in here making it sound like smoking weed is almost as bad a murder.

Judge the potheads while you sip ...more

No, the reading comprehension of people who say WADA made a mistake when they are enforcing a rule that the athletes are aware is unfuckingbelievable

|

7/2/2021 4:16 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/2/2021 5:08 PM

Bruce372 wrote: Photo

True. You can dope a pony, it'll never be a stallion.

|

7/2/2021 4:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/2/2021 4:29 PM

DonM wrote:

This has nothing to do with WADA and 100% to an athlete just being plain stupid...

I’m definitely inclined to agree with this.

Is it a dumb rule? Totally.

But let’s be honest, they didn’t just throw this at her out of thin blue air.

They have rules and terms that she agreed to adhere to, and she violated them.

This is a bit different than an MX athletes testing positive at a barely trace level.

Stewart and Tickle were done dirty. She knew what she was doing and took the risk.

|

7/2/2021 4:29 PM

Motoxdoc wrote:

I believe you used the word "enabling" wrongly....and the idea that, "This is the problem with our country" is laughable. You ...more

She crushed her own dreams, so why should I feel sorry for that? I have been told numerous times by an employer that I cannot drink for say the next 6 months or however long and I DID NOT DRINK. Its pretty simple. Its all about choices.

I agree the rule is stupid, but until its changed the athletes have to follow it. No need to feel sorry for them when they get caught.

|

2020 KTM 350 SXF

7/2/2021 4:46 PM

Bruce372 wrote: Photo
WCRider wrote:

True. You can dope a pony, it'll never be a stallion.

The sad part for Armstrong is that in bicycle racing....most all of the competitors doped. Lance just did it better and the rest of them were jealous of his innate skills coupled with what they all did...

|

Germany 1975 250 CZ Centerport, laydown shocks, mikuni with reed valve, Marzocchi forks with me as the motopilot

7/2/2021 4:53 PM

Weed is not legal in every state in the US
It is not legal federally in the US. (federal crime to possess)
It is not legal in a majority of countries around the world

But you're blaming WADA?

|

Make sure you downvote!

7/2/2021 5:05 PM

fourfourone wrote:

When I light up the jazz cabbage, that last thing I want to do is go for a run.

Exactly.

Weed makes you lethargic and slows your reflexes, who in the world considers those things " Performance Enhancing"?

This is beyond stupid - The fucking Russians are using cutting edge masking agents with their "Female" athletes and WADA can't effectively catch them, but a girl who eats an edible gets nailed?

Low hanging fruit is always easy for these people.

There will be a lot more to hear about this case, regular people are pissed about it.

|

7/2/2021 5:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/2/2021 5:15 PM

fourfourone wrote:

When I light up the jazz cabbage, that last thing I want to do is go for a run.

I love running high.

|

7/2/2021 9:03 PM

fourfourone wrote:

When I light up the jazz cabbage, that last thing I want to do is go for a run.

Brent wrote:

Exactly.

Weed makes you lethargic and slows your reflexes, who in the world considers those things " Performance Enhancing"?
...more

Regular people? All sports have rules and the olympics have a rule regarding marijuana usage….she knew the rule broke the rule and suffered the consequences for breaking that rule…you may think its stupid but that doesn’t matter…it’s still the rule…period

|

“I’m not Swap…”

7/2/2021 11:32 PM

It's interesting to me that so many people in this thread don't even consider that plenty of people who are fully functioning and successful members of society find that weed helps them focus, and and let go of anxiety

|