Another injury question....

Nascarnick
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 12:18am
Coming off a ruptured achilles and just wondering who all has been through this. I had my surgery first week of May. It ruptured halfway between my heel and calf. I go to dr to hopefully get my walking boot off a week from today. Just curious as to what kind of road I have ahead of me!!! Thanks in advance!! BTW, this is moto related because I did it flatlanding a jump!

|
Cygnus
7/13/2010 11:30am
I know a guy that had to take two years off for his.
SteveS
7/13/2010 11:51am
The achilles tendon transmits the highest forces of any tendon in the body--8 times the body weight during running, perhaps 10 times or more when hopping. It requires time for healing and time for strengthening and relengthening before being stressed by sports.
Nascarnick
7/13/2010 11:58am
Thanks for the input Steve. I dont do really any jogging or stick and ball sports anymore. Just the standard gym routines and obviously riding. I know it will take some PT as the tendon is nothing but scar tissue thats stiff as a board right now!! I had someone send me this link...

http://d10797812.u144.isoaxishosting.com/

Anyone tried these???

The Shop

RNagy052
7/13/2010 12:55pm
I blew out both of mine a few years back flat landing a table. Both of my feet slipped back on the footpegs as I left the jump face so when I landed only my toes were on the footpegs and my heels dropped straight down on impact. Hurt like hell when it happened.

Where the damage took place on mine was right above the heels about ankle high. Both of them were like wet noodles back there for a while. The Dr. said he was going to have me just stay off of them for awhile, and then go through rehab, rather than due surguery. For a while I could not stand up or walk, had to just crawl around the house on my hands and knees.

I think I stayed off my bike for 6 or 7 months for that one, and then it was a few months after that before I could start jogging, and then running again.

Good luck with your recovery.
SteveS
7/13/2010 1:01pm
Nascarnick wrote:
Thanks for the input Steve. I dont do really any jogging or stick and ball sports anymore. Just the standard gym routines and obviously riding. I...
Thanks for the input Steve. I dont do really any jogging or stick and ball sports anymore. Just the standard gym routines and obviously riding. I know it will take some PT as the tendon is nothing but scar tissue thats stiff as a board right now!! I had someone send me this link...

Anyone tried these???
Those pegs were posted on here because some people were using them in supercross this winter.

Even with those, I still don't think I'd ride/race until I could do stairs well and quickly, etc.
Nascarnick
7/13/2010 1:14pm
RNagy052 wrote:
I blew out both of mine a few years back flat landing a table. Both of my feet slipped back on the footpegs as I left...
I blew out both of mine a few years back flat landing a table. Both of my feet slipped back on the footpegs as I left the jump face so when I landed only my toes were on the footpegs and my heels dropped straight down on impact. Hurt like hell when it happened.

Where the damage took place on mine was right above the heels about ankle high. Both of them were like wet noodles back there for a while. The Dr. said he was going to have me just stay off of them for awhile, and then go through rehab, rather than due surguery. For a while I could not stand up or walk, had to just crawl around the house on my hands and knees.

I think I stayed off my bike for 6 or 7 months for that one, and then it was a few months after that before I could start jogging, and then running again.

Good luck with your recovery.
Basically the same thing I did. Tapped the rear brake in the air and pulled my foot back a little too far. And yes, it hurt like a mofo instantly!! Mine completely snapped in two. Worst part was driving home, crawling upstairs, showering, and driving to ER because as the hospital knows I did it jumping out of a truck while helping a friend move. Wink The ER doc took one look and said "its 100% ruptured call this surgeon and heres some percoset to get you by." I spent a week or two crawling up the stairs also! Theres a pic in the other "injury" thread.
Nascarnick
7/13/2010 1:17pm
Nascarnick wrote:
Thanks for the input Steve. I dont do really any jogging or stick and ball sports anymore. Just the standard gym routines and obviously riding. I...

Anyone tried these???
SteveS wrote:
Those pegs were posted on here because some people were using them in supercross this winter. Even with those, I still don't think I'd ride/race until...
Those pegs were posted on here because some people were using them in supercross this winter.

Even with those, I still don't think I'd ride/race until I could do stairs well and quickly, etc.
Im 33 yrs old and dont even race. Maybe a HS or 2 but thats it. Its strictly a hobby and I at least try to stay within my limits!! It was a freak deal and I didnt even crash! What was said about those pegs?? Any downside to them? Thanks for your input Steve.

Post a reply to: Another injury question....

The Latest