Another build you may not have ever seen--Vintage Husky lovers (Swedish), Honda Xr75 ,DG 100 and others coming

OldPro277
Edited Date/Time 9/11/2020 7:36pm
Just finished another odd bird. I love the real Husky's and always wanted to add a 175 GP to the collection to run in the Historic 200 class. However, the ML framed 175 had only a 2 year run (75-76) and really low production numbers,which made finding a good starting point much more difficult than I hoped ,and THEN finding missing pieces bordered on ridiculous. Finally found one in Arizona and was hoping it was a decent one since it spent the majority of its life in the dry climate. Of course I was wrong. Rust everywhere, engine completely locked up,( not a big deal) and eventually found that the magnesium center cases were rotted away in the crank area. ( Definitely a big deal) ended up finding and buying a second engine hoping those cases internals were better--they were not. I ended up repairing both sets, one by welding and re machining,and they other by good ol JB Weld. Using the JB cases in the bike currently. Crank needed rebuilt of course. Not usually a big concern,but I wasn't aware that the 175 engine was a stand alone piece and didn't share any pieces with other Husky's. Not a single 175 connecting rod in the entire United States or Europe, Yikes!!. Got a tip from an Australian dude that there was a Husky shop in northern Sweden that had a bunch of NOS Husky parts. I contacted them and not only did they have an NOS Rod and other internal pieces I needed ,but the owner was Arne Kring!!! Yes, the former Husky factory rider and GP legend. Super cool dude and his daughter sent me a bunch of Number plates and pictures that Arne signed for me. Waaay too crazy. Anyway, to speed up the story a bit , all frame/swingarm /hubs got blasted and PC's, rims were cleaned ,polished and anodized Husky gold,with Pirellis mounted,a little cerakoting here and there,I fabbed up some front and rear brake stays, used upgraded Husky triples, built new Piggyback Online out back ,Racetech gold valves in the front, new HPI external flywheel ignition,Lectron carb (legal in Historic class) ,I did some very mild porting , polished the exhaust port, had a cone pipe that was originally for my 74 Mag 250 but didn't fit the MK frame quite right,but did work perfectly on the 175 . Had a custom billet silencer fabbed by my local Aluminum magician. Gripper seat cover was made by EVO mx in the UK, Brian Fedigan did the tank paint. Bike runs and handles great, needs a few settings sorted out but its going to be a really good one . I did a trial run on it 2 weeks ago in a ridiculously dusty one hour X-country race,and it ran great. Anyway,it came out pretty nice I think. Im posting a few of the " before' and some "afters" .

|
spimx
9/9/2020 6:42pm
Husky has so many good looking bikes in heritage. There needs to be a year of blue huskies and the gold and black for sure, I think 1982. 2022 fe450 with a ti tank, blue and gold stripes.

Amazing build man.
DaveB771
9/9/2020 6:52pm
The only bike I've regretted selling was the 1982 Husky 125 XC that came with a 175 top end and a set of Ohlins shocks. I swear that rear suspension was as good as my 1981 RM250 full floater.
9/9/2020 7:12pm
My dad had a 76 XC175. He had a Blue gas tank, but I remember it being a different shade of Blue then the one you show? He also had a Almost blood Red tank for it. I think the Red tank held more fuel. I have not thought about that bike for a long time. I was 10 years old in 1976, I think we had it until 1980? Thanks for sharing this bike. It looks great.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
9/9/2020 8:13pm
That Lectron has got to be a God send for that bike.
Very nice job, looks great

The Shop

Redrcr34
9/9/2020 8:14pm
You have a real gem there! Congrats and also a cool story about getting it put backed together. My first bike was a 76 husky 250 in 1980. My cousin bought a 1979 husky 125cr with blue tank, loved that bike and regret not buying it for 600.00 when he sold it in the 90s.
yota
9/10/2020 11:51am
awesome build! I have the factory 175 kit in this. makes a huge difference in torque.
Dropbear
9/10/2020 4:53pm
Nice. They look like Betor forks. Used to run them on my Japanese 80’s.
OldPro277
9/10/2020 4:57pm
That's awesome! Also, looks like you have a 1979 KX in the background.
Thanks-- and yep its a KX,but actually its an 1980 250.. An extremely nice mostly all original survivor. But the tank was stained and tacky looking ,so I took it off months ago to try to restore it. Finding a good KX tank is almost impossible. Currently I have 20 full size Vintage bikes in various stages of the restoration process. 11 are done and 6 of those get ridden/raced regularly including that 175GP Husky. But I do have 6 that are strictly show only , a 77 RM125 Fox Replica, an 80 DG RM100, the works edition 1978 XR75 and what I believe strongly is an authentic CH Industries 1974 Honda Cr125 thats almost done, a Pro Circuit/Anaheim Husky 125 replica and a very cool numbers matching 74 YZ125A that I'm building as a showroom stock. That YZ build is a deviation from my normal building of race team replica bikes using authentic period-correct mods, but it was a prime candidiate to be an OEM stocker since the frame and engine have matching VINS.
By the way--some of my builds will be looking for new homes soon, including that KX and a really nice 1974 Yamaha MX 360. My hobby got out of hand and I'm needing to free up a bit of space Whistling
OldPro277
9/10/2020 5:05pm
langhammx wrote:
That Lectron has got to be a God send for that bike.
Very nice job, looks great
Thanks-- and yes ,I have a love affair with Lectron carbs,particularly on my vintage bikes,lol. ALL of my vintage bikes that are going to be raced I use Lectrons, as long as they are legal in that particular class. Just a HUGE improvement and sooo much easier to get them dialed
Dropbear
9/11/2020 3:45pm
OldPro277 wrote:
Thanks-- and yep its a KX,but actually its an 1980 250.. An extremely nice mostly all original survivor. But the tank was stained and tacky looking...
Thanks-- and yep its a KX,but actually its an 1980 250.. An extremely nice mostly all original survivor. But the tank was stained and tacky looking ,so I took it off months ago to try to restore it. Finding a good KX tank is almost impossible. Currently I have 20 full size Vintage bikes in various stages of the restoration process. 11 are done and 6 of those get ridden/raced regularly including that 175GP Husky. But I do have 6 that are strictly show only , a 77 RM125 Fox Replica, an 80 DG RM100, the works edition 1978 XR75 and what I believe strongly is an authentic CH Industries 1974 Honda Cr125 thats almost done, a Pro Circuit/Anaheim Husky 125 replica and a very cool numbers matching 74 YZ125A that I'm building as a showroom stock. That YZ build is a deviation from my normal building of race team replica bikes using authentic period-correct mods, but it was a prime candidiate to be an OEM stocker since the frame and engine have matching VINS.
By the way--some of my builds will be looking for new homes soon, including that KX and a really nice 1974 Yamaha MX 360. My hobby got out of hand and I'm needing to free up a bit of space Whistling
Could you post pics of your show bikes please? In particular the 1978 XR75. Sounds interesting.
Fox88
Fantasy
35th
9/11/2020 4:04pm
If taking requests, please post pics of the DG RM100!
Tyler would also approve..
Sierra Ranger
9/11/2020 4:06pm
You can see how badass that thing was for the time. Still badass, in fact. I love checking out vintage bikes.
speedman
9/11/2020 4:45pm
Beautiful job on that bike--I had a 79 125CR from new and loved it, would think the 175 would be optimal for that chassis, especially the 10" travel years, which to me were the best looking 70s Husky.
Dropbear
9/11/2020 4:52pm
speedman wrote:
Beautiful job on that bike--I had a 79 125CR from new and loved it, would think the 175 would be optimal for that chassis, especially the...
Beautiful job on that bike--I had a 79 125CR from new and loved it, would think the 175 would be optimal for that chassis, especially the 10" travel years, which to me were the best looking 70s Husky.
A ‘79 125 Husky won the Australian 125 championship in that year. A bit of trivia there.
OldPro277
9/11/2020 5:03pm
OldPro277 wrote:
Thanks-- and yep its a KX,but actually its an 1980 250.. An extremely nice mostly all original survivor. But the tank was stained and tacky looking...
Dropbear wrote:
Could you post pics of your show bikes please? In particular the 1978 XR75. Sounds interesting.
I will certainly try to accommodate. I have already posted a thread on the XR75, so if any of you have already seen it ,I apologize in advance. I took the XR to the High Point Vet National last year and Davey Coombs was all over it and wanted to take it home, lol, even posted pics of it on RacerX's instagram or website .

Also, I'd also like to make clear that by me posting pics of my bikes ,that I'm NOT boasting,bragging or being a dick. I just love building the machines that I and my friends raced back in the day while we were young and chasing the dream racing the Nationals. Some of those same friends are the ones that pushed me into posting some of my builds on here.

Do I spend too much too much time building these ?? Possibly---
Do I spend too much money on the bikes ?? Definitely
Is it worth it ??? Absolutely
Do I have the greatest wife in the world ?? Without a doubt !!!!

I will post the XR first-- then the DG100, the 77 Fox Rm125, then the FMF 125 (thats a show bike that gets raced 5-6 times per year. The 203 lb Hurricane YZ250G that Darryn Durham rode at MidOhio Vintage days one year, and the 74 CH Industries Honda and the 74 Noguchi YZ125 when I get those wrapped up (both of those are super badass) Then we can move on to the ProCircuit/Anaheim Husky's.

However, I am prepping my 74 Husky Mag 250 and my son in laws 74 YZ 175 at the moment for this weekends race, so I'm not sure when I'll start this pic posting-orgy. I was thinking of starting a new thread for each, but maybe I'll just keep them together here so I don't come across as a pretentious asshat,lol. Whats the preferred method ?

Thanks for the interest and hope you all enjoy whats coming....
neverwas
Fantasy
740th
9/11/2020 5:25pm
Looking forward to the pics.
If you have the time, money and mechanical skill to restore bikes as nice as you have,show em! and that goes for anyone else on here. Love to see the bikes of my youth.
OldPro277
9/11/2020 5:42pm
Dropbear wrote:
So.... although I've built several full size vintage show bikes and racers with period correct race mods, this is my first mini build. Obviously it HAD to be an XR75 since that's what we all had for pit bikes back then.

This one was in semi sketchy condition which is what you'd expect for a 42 yo thrashed mini . But it was a good base starting point.

First it was stripped down ,engine popped apart, finely bead blasted, painted in VMX red at 50% gloss, new bearings, seals, Big bore High compression Wiseco piston, Custom ground high performance cam, new valves, A PVL ignition, billet intake and a 24 mm Mikuni rounded out the engine.
The frame was repaired in a few spots, kick stand cut off and ground smooth and painted in the same VMX red at full gloss as was the fuel tank. Used cut down Elsinore forks in the front. Works Gassers in the rear attached to an authentic DG alloy arm, A DG race exhaust was found ,stripped and I did my special "scotchbrite wheel" procedure on it, lol. made an alloy rear brake stay , adapted some modern footpegs, and had old Vital member Clayton Miller do some bronze cerakoting work on the valve cover, triples , clutch cable guide and a couple other pieces. Mika mini bars,old school Oury grips (still my favorite !!) and shorty Maguras handle the controls. I had a local upholsterer conjur up an HRC blue seat cover , polished up some DID rims and anodized them gold and slipped a nice Pirelli on the rear and an IRC on the front.All the hardware is polished stainless allen heads, found a couple of NOS axles (the originals were beyond refinishing) And my man at TJ ghosted in my "277" on the big number 1 ,pretty cool !! And the "L" pays a little tribute to my wife (her initial) for putting up with my crazy Vintage bike disease.

Finished product came out better than I expected, now I'm almost afraid to use it for what I intended.
I'm a little torn on putting any period correct decals that I originally planned on doing, because it looks so damn good naked.
OldPro277
9/11/2020 7:36pm
Fox88 wrote:
If taking requests, please post pics of the DG RM100!
Tyler would also approve..
The 1980 RM100T DG team bike. This started out in 3 cardboard boxes and 4 milk crates. , stripped the engine , rebuilt the crank, Eric Gorr did the porting work, I found an original DG head and cone pipe, got a new 32mm Mikuni, Works Performance Gas shocks , grafted an entire RM125 front end on to the bike and a lot of small detail work went into the rest of the bike. Built this one to race in the Marty Tripes Works Revenge 100 class , afterwards I realized that none of the East coast vintage races run that class ,lol. Still a very cool piece and it won "Best in Show" at the High Point Vet Nationals a few years back.

Post a reply to: Another build you may not have ever seen--Vintage Husky lovers (Swedish), Honda Xr75 ,DG 100 and others coming

The Latest