Another Track Bites the Dust

Dave v3.0
Edited Date/Time 7/22/2022 1:22pm

|
crusher773
7/21/2022 1:48pm
Yeah that sucks. Never been, but it was on the list to hit someday.
Leeham
Fantasy
3088th
7/21/2022 1:49pm
Ah yes. Another billionaire buying up land to make even MORE money. Damn shame
nrosso391
Fantasy
2829th
7/21/2022 1:49pm
Take those millions and buy up remote land away from these crappy developments and make a new track.
alien
7/21/2022 1:55pm
This was remote land away from developers, look at a map view it was out in the country.

The Shop

mtl
7/21/2022 1:55pm
nrosso391 wrote:
Take those millions and buy up remote land away from these crappy developments and make a new track.
That's a great idea, except you need X number of people within Y miles of a facility to make the economics work...
JK BRO
Fantasy
1610th
7/21/2022 2:18pm
"Don't tell people how to spend their money"

The irony when a real estate group buys up an mx track vs someone buying Ryder D's bike.
hititpind
7/21/2022 2:44pm
JK BRO wrote:
"Don't tell people how to spend their money"

The irony when a real estate group buys up an mx track vs someone buying Ryder D's bike.
That comment really bugged you huh?
7/21/2022 3:04pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Haha beat me to it Mav. You're on top of it. Definitely some cool memories I wanted to share... took me down a rabbit hole today, that's for sure. And I really only opened up two days worth of footage. Archive hard drives are a trap I tell ya!! Plug one in and next thing you know it's 3 days later and you haven't eaten anything.
Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
7/21/2022 3:52pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2022 3:52pm
Yeah....the electric take-over of the sport sure cant come soon enough.....right?

7/21/2022 4:01pm
Dave v3.0 wrote:
I should also mention that the McWilliams Family was the last group to run races at Lake Whitney in Texas. Just before it was sold to...
I should also mention that the McWilliams Family was the last group to run races at Lake Whitney in Texas.

Just before it was sold to a land developer...

Absolutely coincidental I'm sure...Cool

https://racerxonline.com/2008/05/17/mcwilliams-family-buys-lake-whitney…
Was just about to comment that.....
mwilcox349
Fantasy
82nd
7/21/2022 5:24pm
Dave v3.0 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/07/21/560554/s1200_Screen_Shot_2022_07_21_at_3.44.23_PM.jpg[/img]

I knew something was up when they didn't hold their 'Summer Classic' race this year. So I take it all the rest of the races are canceled this year? They had several left.

Also not sure who would put up a 300+ house community there. The road it's on sucks and isn't great for traffic. The area at that exit is on is pretty dead. Must not have been asking the millions these other "training facilities" are too.
Dave v3.0
7/21/2022 5:40pm
Dave v3.0 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/07/21/560554/s1200_Screen_Shot_2022_07_21_at_3.44.23_PM.jpg[/img]

mwilcox349 wrote:
I knew something was up when they didn't hold their 'Summer Classic' race this year. So I take it all the rest of the races are...
I knew something was up when they didn't hold their 'Summer Classic' race this year. So I take it all the rest of the races are canceled this year? They had several left.

Also not sure who would put up a 300+ house community there. The road it's on sucks and isn't great for traffic. The area at that exit is on is pretty dead. Must not have been asking the millions these other "training facilities" are too.
If it's a "top 5 builder" then you know it's going to be cookie cutter tract homes like KB & Lennar build.

All the local Karens can now complain about the clear cutting of trees, dust and noise from the construction, and increased traffic. Not to mention the increased crime.

Sometimes ya gotta be careful what you ask for...
mwilcox349
Fantasy
82nd
7/21/2022 7:29pm
I know some of the people running the track had a realtor connection or was a realtor. I'm sure that has to do with it since what Lake Whitney turned into. I'm sure they took the cash instead of getting more money selling it to someone that wanted to continue it as a moto track. I don't know their property lines, I have been there a decent amt in the last 2 years and 300 houses in that area is cramped. I'm sure they have from the front of the entrance to beyond the night track and at least track to the trees in the parking area for width but still. Maybe their neighbors sold too. Either way it sucks because that was a great track.
7/21/2022 7:31pm
mwilcox349 wrote:
I knew something was up when they didn't hold their 'Summer Classic' race this year. So I take it all the rest of the races are...

I'm sure the strip malls and Super Wal-Mart / Target will not be far behind.
mwilcox349
Fantasy
82nd
7/21/2022 7:52pm
Maybe, I don't see a huge development coming in with houses being built and sold by next spring. Talledaga raceway isn't too far, i-20 is there. Buc-ee's did put a location right near there and they seem to do their research on locations but more so for driving not living. There's a really nice lake to the east. Then Birmingham to the west but that's over 30 mins. Idk I'm more so pissed they sold out. It was the closest national caliper potential track to me currently. I never saw it listed for sale either and i've been looking.
gharmon
7/21/2022 8:00pm
Dave v3.0 wrote:

Ptobably my personal favorite track to ride!! Shit fuck..
Hcallz5
7/21/2022 8:18pm
Damn that looks like it was a killer track too. RIP

I know people hate regulations or whatever but it seems like we need some real estate regulations at this point. Some of these companies are just strangle fucking the system and preying on first time home buyers. The only option these kids have for real estate is a fucking rental unit or a cookie cutter townhome with and HOA.
7/21/2022 8:25pm
Dave v3.0 wrote:
I should also mention that the McWilliams Family was the last group to run races at Lake Whitney in Texas. Just before it was sold to...
I should also mention that the McWilliams Family was the last group to run races at Lake Whitney in Texas.

They never owned the land Lake Whitney was on. They bought the rights to the Spring Classic, and after Jesse Masterpool's accident in 2010, the land owners decided they didn't want any more involvement with running motocross races.

That's why the McWilliams moved the Spring Classic to Millcreek in 2011.
BadBoyBobbyB
7/21/2022 8:27pm
Glad to see a very dangerous, high speed, hard packed track off the corrupt amateur circuit for good. Owners of this track were some of the worst offenders of ruining the sport through having 60 different classes at 3.5 laps a moto per class
7/21/2022 8:35pm
Dave v3.0 wrote:

They never owned the land Lake Whitney was on. They bought the rights to the Spring Classic, and after Jesse Masterpool's accident in 2010, the land...
They never owned the land Lake Whitney was on. They bought the rights to the Spring Classic, and after Jesse Masterpool's accident in 2010, the land owners decided they didn't want any more involvement with running motocross races.

That's why the McWilliams moved the Spring Classic to Millcreek in 2011.
Man I never knew that. Damn
mwilcox349
Fantasy
82nd
7/21/2022 9:30pm
Glad to see a very dangerous, high speed, hard packed track off the corrupt amateur circuit for good. Owners of this track were some of the...
Glad to see a very dangerous, high speed, hard packed track off the corrupt amateur circuit for good. Owners of this track were some of the worst offenders of ruining the sport through having 60 different classes at 3.5 laps a moto per class
Obv never been there if you consider that place hard pack. Not going to disagree with the 2nd part tho.
BadBoyBobbyB
7/21/2022 9:49pm
Glad to see a very dangerous, high speed, hard packed track off the corrupt amateur circuit for good. Owners of this track were some of the...
mwilcox349 wrote:
Obv never been there if you consider that place hard pack. Not going to disagree with the 2nd part tho.
I’ve raced there a number of times. At the spring national it would get deep enough to be decent after a heavy rain, but the vast majority of the time the track was a hard pack freeway. Very high speed stretches of track and was just not technical at all. We can agree the sport didn’t really lose much by seeing these operators leave. The real winner here is monster mountain mx. They were always overshadowed by McWilliams crooked connection$ When monster is in fact the track that deserves higher status events
adamw21
7/21/2022 11:51pm
mwilcox349 wrote:
I’ve raced there a number of times. At the spring national it would get deep enough to be decent after a heavy rain, but the vast...
I’ve raced there a number of times. At the spring national it would get deep enough to be decent after a heavy rain, but the vast majority of the time the track was a hard pack freeway. Very high speed stretches of track and was just not technical at all. We can agree the sport didn’t really lose much by seeing these operators leave. The real winner here is monster mountain mx. They were always overshadowed by McWilliams crooked connection$ When monster is in fact the track that deserves higher status events
And they was even trying to sell out a few months ago 👀
TheMilkman
7/22/2022 5:36am
Dave v3.0 wrote:

I don’t think anything has been built at the old Lake Whitney site. Satellite view still shows the starting line shade and fences in place.
7/22/2022 6:13am
mwilcox349 wrote:
I’ve raced there a number of times. At the spring national it would get deep enough to be decent after a heavy rain, but the vast...
This! I have been around the McWilliams for years and even before they were "big" they were not friendly people to deal with. Few years ago they kicked some kids out for giving out tee shirts. I hate to see this place go, but I am glad to see this family out of moto. Monster is a way better track anyways, plus pricks don't run it.
wwoberg
7/22/2022 6:35am
I'd have to disagree with your assessment of the track. I'd also agree with your exaggerated assessment of motos and races, but that is common for all big amateur races.

Post a reply to: Another Track Bites the Dust

The Latest