Another Reason to get OUT of California >>>

10/1/2020 8:49am
I just find it funny that a state riddled with power outages, pleas for customers to limit power usage, wild fires, and already the most expensive electricity rates in the country wants to drastically increase the load on the electrical grid. It's just pandering with a pipe dream at this point, and I say that as a person who likes electric vehicles. They will try to push solar again with tax incentives but the reality is the infrastructure here cant handle our current usage consistently, let alone an increased load.

I have a 20 panel solar system that produces about 5-6kW per day. A Tesla has a 75kW battery. That means it would take 15 whole days to charge the car alone, and more if we factor in normal electricity usage on top of that. It just simple doesn't make sense without drastically beefing up the power grid, and guess who's going to pay for that?
nate 415
10/1/2020 8:57am
Tuna wrote:
Texas, Idaho, AZ.
langhammx wrote:
You nailed it ! Texas has some crazy property taxes, from what I hear. In California I am currently protected with Prop 13. I’d feel different...
You nailed it !
Texas has some crazy property taxes, from what I hear. In California I am currently protected with Prop 13. I’d feel different if I was paying taxes on $700K (current appraised value), versus $168K (purchase price in 1992)

If these idiots get rid of this, I’ll be forced to leave and join the others leaving...
showtimemx wrote:
Good luck my friend. We have been completely overrun by out of state people (California, Washington, Utah). Home prices are no longer affordable and all the...
Good luck my friend. We have been completely overrun by out of state people (California, Washington, Utah). Home prices are no longer affordable and all the good hunting, fishing, riding is being closed off because California money has bought the land and closed off access. Most things that have made it a great place to live are being changed because those coming here are implementing the same things they are trying to get away from. We try to be very welcoming to all but it is sad to see those that have worked hard to make a living here struggle because the influx of people from other states. If you do move here shoot me a message I'd love to show you the amazing beauty of Idaho but leave your Californication at the front door. Hot tip change your plates and Oh and winters are COLD!!!!
THIS
Tarz483
Fantasy
379th
10/1/2020 12:43pm
plowboy wrote:
I took a little mini vacation in August. Drove from KS to Muir Beach and headed south hitting as many beaches as I could all the...
I took a little mini vacation in August. Drove from KS to Muir Beach and headed south hitting as many beaches as I could all the way to SD. Here are a few things I can state as fact:

1. Traffic...the freeways are crowded. But, the drivers are fast, aware and pretty damn courteous. (compared to most of the country, especially here in the plains states).

2. If you aren't in a gawdawful hurry there are secondary/backroads that are in excellent condition and offer an eye opening view of rural CA you just won't get at 80 mph on the big roads.

3. The state is full of hard ass working people...working those crazy big ass fields in the central valley...working 3 jobs to support a small business that is their dream...hustling to afford the insane prices for everything. They damn sure ain't afraid of work.

4. The rest of the country needs a lesson from California on diversity inclusion/acceptance. Everyone knows there are a lot of Spanish/Asian Americans in CA....but there are folks from just about everywhere....everywhere you go. And they're GETTING along. Their kids play together, their dogs play together...the price of welcome seemed to be a smile and a laugh.

5. I'm not stupid or blind...I did see poverty, homeless, trash...but not nearly as much as I expected. California is not paradise but it doesn't suck.

6. Lastly, the Pacific Ocean is cold as f$@k. I expected cold water up north but I wrongly expected San Diego to be like bath water. Hell no...like 2 degrees warmer....Destin it ain't. But, I'd trade it in a heartbeat for this Kansas winter that's on the way.

Shiftfaced wrote:
Thank you. I think this is the best single post I have ever read here. Your glass is half full, but filling. You see the positive...
Thank you. I think this is the best single post I have ever read here.

Your glass is half full, but filling. You see the positive, and I really appreciate that.

Props.
I feel exactly the same about wanting to leave this Minnesota winter behind And my wife is in support of leaving and saying" Lets just GO Lets just GO" so thinking about going For a month To Look for Jobs and see if we like it there. (thinking November)
Anyone know of any type of furnished short term rentals? Or even a Camper for rent with a flat rate for a month?
I'm also looking for a career change if anyone knows of any good opportunities, My back ground is in sales & marketing
mostly in the Car business. But I'm open to other things and I've always wanted to work in the moto industry.

The Shop

APLMAN99
10/1/2020 5:00pm
JamesReed wrote:
FWIW Volkswagen holds all the notable lap records for electric cars with the #94 IDR. Pikes Peak record, Volkswagen IDR
cz2crf2wc wrote:
Lap records are fine but I think range is the top selling point.
Indy mxer wrote:
Exactly. You can't buy an ev and drive from Indiana to Florida in a day like you can now. Range is the issue and will be...
Exactly. You can't buy an ev and drive from Indiana to Florida in a day like you can now. Range is the issue and will be for a while. Even though they've improved the range on them, they still have limits.
Electric bikes have the same issue. Some of the ofroad races here are 2 or 3 hours.Then again, maybe quick change batteries will solve that issue on bikes.

Besides, now that we pretty much produce all our own oil we're not dependant on OPEC anymore.
Other than Cali, gas is cheap. $1.85 here. Making ev's less cost effective and less attractive.
Fort Wayne, IN to Tallahassee, FL.....

Assuming following the "standard" speed limits, about 14 hours in a gas or diesel vehicle.

Counting recharges, about 19 hours in a Tesla Model 3.

Figure that you're probably stopping for at least one meal and maybe some bathroom breaks, the time gets a little bit closer.

But the vast majority of people aren't making that trip basically nonstop very many times a year.
10/1/2020 7:30pm
I always liked working in Cal., Especially in the winter .1st time was in 2-94 Oceanside Camp Pendleton base. Hhg rig 4 projects. Detoured do to a earthquake, driving down from Or. they wouldn’t let us work on sundays, went to a festival and other fun stuff. Years later in 04 I,m out there trucking, Anaheim for 3 days, got a hotel, met a rad chic, checked the town out, bought stuff for running the dirt trail, partied. 1 other co. I delivered to La., reload to Az., back to La. then N. cal. Which is way different than SoCal. Sang karaoke again in a bar on top of the grape vine. 2.5 months of Cal. Driving straight, I saw quite a bit of the state. I always got along great with Cal. People. Funny I,m always on the look out , for people doing rad stuff like 1/2 hanging out of a vehicle going down the road. Which I,ve seen.
brocster
10/1/2020 8:03pm
I just find it funny that a state riddled with power outages, pleas for customers to limit power usage, wild fires, and already the most expensive...
I just find it funny that a state riddled with power outages, pleas for customers to limit power usage, wild fires, and already the most expensive electricity rates in the country wants to drastically increase the load on the electrical grid. It's just pandering with a pipe dream at this point, and I say that as a person who likes electric vehicles. They will try to push solar again with tax incentives but the reality is the infrastructure here cant handle our current usage consistently, let alone an increased load.

I have a 20 panel solar system that produces about 5-6kW per day. A Tesla has a 75kW battery. That means it would take 15 whole days to charge the car alone, and more if we factor in normal electricity usage on top of that. It just simple doesn't make sense without drastically beefing up the power grid, and guess who's going to pay for that?
Agree 100% Bryan. Electricity doesn’t just fall from the sky and with idea of renewable resources generating power, where does it come from? Most of it now is used in house to operate the processing of “said” renewable resource there is no “extra” that can be used for the charging of electric vehicles even after asking me to sit in the dark.
Silas444
10/1/2020 8:15pm
brocster wrote:
Agree 100% Bryan. Electricity doesn’t just fall from the sky and with idea of renewable resources generating power, where does it come from? Most of it...
Agree 100% Bryan. Electricity doesn’t just fall from the sky and with idea of renewable resources generating power, where does it come from? Most of it now is used in house to operate the processing of “said” renewable resource there is no “extra” that can be used for the charging of electric vehicles even after asking me to sit in the dark.
"Electricity doesn't just fall from the sky...." - Actually, it does. It's called "lightning."
sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
10/1/2020 8:29pm
plowboy wrote:
I took a little mini vacation in August. Drove from KS to Muir Beach and headed south hitting as many beaches as I could all the...
I took a little mini vacation in August. Drove from KS to Muir Beach and headed south hitting as many beaches as I could all the way to SD. Here are a few things I can state as fact:

1. Traffic...the freeways are crowded. But, the drivers are fast, aware and pretty damn courteous. (compared to most of the country, especially here in the plains states).

2. If you aren't in a gawdawful hurry there are secondary/backroads that are in excellent condition and offer an eye opening view of rural CA you just won't get at 80 mph on the big roads.

3. The state is full of hard ass working people...working those crazy big ass fields in the central valley...working 3 jobs to support a small business that is their dream...hustling to afford the insane prices for everything. They damn sure ain't afraid of work.

4. The rest of the country needs a lesson from California on diversity inclusion/acceptance. Everyone knows there are a lot of Spanish/Asian Americans in CA....but there are folks from just about everywhere....everywhere you go. And they're GETTING along. Their kids play together, their dogs play together...the price of welcome seemed to be a smile and a laugh.

5. I'm not stupid or blind...I did see poverty, homeless, trash...but not nearly as much as I expected. California is not paradise but it doesn't suck.

6. Lastly, the Pacific Ocean is cold as f$@k. I expected cold water up north but I wrongly expected San Diego to be like bath water. Hell no...like 2 degrees warmer....Destin it ain't. But, I'd trade it in a heartbeat for this Kansas winter that's on the way.

This is a great description. It is a lot of work to stay here and the grind does get old. But then October rolls around, you get off work and drive down to the beach for a swim, there’s plenty of parking, 70 degree water and a mostly empty beach. the summer crowds are gone. Ca winters aren’t too hard to take. 3 hours ago Yeah this sucks alright

chasetwo79
10/1/2020 9:09pm
plowboy wrote:

sumdood wrote:
This is a great description. It is a lot of work to stay here and the grind does get old. But then October rolls around, you...
This is a great description. It is a lot of work to stay here and the grind does get old. But then October rolls around, you get off work and drive down to the beach for a swim, there’s plenty of parking, 70 degree water and a mostly empty beach. the summer crowds are gone. Ca winters aren’t too hard to take. 3 hours ago Yeah this sucks alright

I encourage everyone that I talk to who wants to leave to do so. This state needs a constant flow of exodus because a ton of people still move here from other states daily.

That said, we could also use to shave the numbers down a tad in total population as well, so if people want to go see what else this country has to offer, let them. It’s a win win for both sides or at least until they spend one summer in Texas and come running back!
RalphS
10/1/2020 9:52pm
cz2crf2wc wrote:
Lap records are fine but I think range is the top selling point.
Indy mxer wrote:
Exactly. You can't buy an ev and drive from Indiana to Florida in a day like you can now. Range is the issue and will be...
Exactly. You can't buy an ev and drive from Indiana to Florida in a day like you can now. Range is the issue and will be for a while. Even though they've improved the range on them, they still have limits.
Electric bikes have the same issue. Some of the ofroad races here are 2 or 3 hours.Then again, maybe quick change batteries will solve that issue on bikes.

Besides, now that we pretty much produce all our own oil we're not dependant on OPEC anymore.
Other than Cali, gas is cheap. $1.85 here. Making ev's less cost effective and less attractive.
APLMAN99 wrote:
Fort Wayne, IN to Tallahassee, FL..... Assuming following the "standard" speed limits, about 14 hours in a gas or diesel vehicle. Counting recharges, about 19 hours...
Fort Wayne, IN to Tallahassee, FL.....

Assuming following the "standard" speed limits, about 14 hours in a gas or diesel vehicle.

Counting recharges, about 19 hours in a Tesla Model 3.

Figure that you're probably stopping for at least one meal and maybe some bathroom breaks, the time gets a little bit closer.

But the vast majority of people aren't making that trip basically nonstop very many times a year.
I'm not a tree hugger nor I'm in denial so I got myself a model 3 almost 2 years ago (car is good for real and came with a 6250 tax incentive). Made a 4000 miles trip from SoCal to Montana this summer and yes the charging IS a PITA but if you've a long range car 350+ miles per charge it ain't that bad. We spent about 200 bucks in fuel and no maintenance cost associated plus the drive is really sweet, 110 miles felt like nothing.

That being said I don't recommend a Tesla let alone another EV (no supercharger network) for long trips (except for between large cities) or in winter time, wait until the 500+ miles EVs are available for a reasonable price.
Myke
Fantasy
2861st
10/1/2020 10:19pm
Guys please stop saying positive things about living in CA............

gt80rider
10/2/2020 10:02am
O&GDriller wrote:
Some observations. 1. Where does the electricity come from? Someday people will realize the electricity they use must be generated. Someday these same people will realize...
Some observations.

1. Where does the electricity come from? Someday people will realize the electricity they use must be generated. Someday these same people will realize 63% of the electricity currently being generated is from the combustion of hydrocarbons.

2. The times might be changing, in people's minds, but the laws of physics are NOT changing. There is NO "new" technology currently available, or on the horizon, to replace hydrocarbons as a viable fuel source. Renewables are not a viable option and battery storage still has to obey those pesky laws of physics.

3. Kalifornia can't provide it's comrades the electricity needed to meet their needs today let alone in 15 years. Anybody hear about the rolling blackouts!?!? Just wait and see what happens as people continue to increase demand imposed on the already strained electrical grid by plugging their vehicles into the hydrocarbon powered system.

Comical...
Yes.... there is nothing clean about going electric... electric means coal, nuke, and tons upon tons of lithium, cobalt, and mangenese....
JamesReed
10/2/2020 10:03am
10000hrs wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/10/01/452093/s1200_DDE9E4F1_E783_4640_846C_EEA8B71F7AED.jpg[/img]

That new solar gas is gonna change the game.
dpingree101
10/2/2020 10:20am
Motoxdoc wrote:
Electric by 2035?.... Sounds good to me! Some states just don’t give a shit about their environment. I wish we could fast forward 15 years and...
Electric by 2035?.... Sounds good to me! Some states just don’t give a shit about their environment. I wish we could fast forward 15 years and see the expression on your face when you’re the only one burning fossil fuels. The times are changing old man (I am assuming) and California is on the forefront. It would behoove you to embrace new technology rather than fight it.... and if that means quieter bikes and a cleaner environment, why would you? Unsure
I’m no engineer, but I found this video very interesting regarding the carbon footprint of an ICE vehicle VS an electric model.

https://youtu.be/17xh_VRrnMU
dean122
10/2/2020 10:23am
showtimemx wrote:
Good luck my friend. We have been completely overrun by out of state people (California, Washington, Utah). Home prices are no longer affordable and all the...
Good luck my friend. We have been completely overrun by out of state people (California, Washington, Utah). Home prices are no longer affordable and all the good hunting, fishing, riding is being closed off because California money has bought the land and closed off access. Most things that have made it a great place to live are being changed because those coming here are implementing the same things they are trying to get away from. We try to be very welcoming to all but it is sad to see those that have worked hard to make a living here struggle because the influx of people from other states. If you do move here shoot me a message I'd love to show you the amazing beauty of Idaho but leave your Californication at the front door. Hot tip change your plates and Oh and winters are COLD!!!!
My son just recently moved back home (Upland, CA) from Pocatello. He went to ISU the last 4 years and is getting ready to head back in a couple weeks to try and find a job. We have close ties with Pocatello PD and Fire so he's trying to get in with them. If he locks something down, my wife and I may end up following him. We've traveled to Poky and the surrounding area several times over the past 4 years (football) and absolutely love the state. I prefer the Boise area, but we'll see how things go. All my son's ID buddies absolutely hate Californians moving in. You nearly need to be a sponsored move in or they won't take kindly to you, especially smaller communities.

Oh and good advice, if you move there, change them plates quickly. He had to immediately change his plates when he started school.
petef930
10/2/2020 10:35am
endurox wrote:
Went to a CARB related meeting back when this started in 1996. Not one manufacture bothered to showed up. I will be riding my plated 2...
Went to a CARB related meeting back when this started in 1996. Not one manufacture bothered to showed up.
I will be riding my plated 2 stroke here in Idaho in 2035 unless the rapture happens.
You mean new California?
petef930
10/2/2020 10:38am
showtimemx wrote:
dean122 wrote:
My son just recently moved back home (Upland, CA) from Pocatello. He went to ISU the last 4 years and is getting ready to head back...
My son just recently moved back home (Upland, CA) from Pocatello. He went to ISU the last 4 years and is getting ready to head back in a couple weeks to try and find a job. We have close ties with Pocatello PD and Fire so he's trying to get in with them. If he locks something down, my wife and I may end up following him. We've traveled to Poky and the surrounding area several times over the past 4 years (football) and absolutely love the state. I prefer the Boise area, but we'll see how things go. All my son's ID buddies absolutely hate Californians moving in. You nearly need to be a sponsored move in or they won't take kindly to you, especially smaller communities.

Oh and good advice, if you move there, change them plates quickly. He had to immediately change his plates when he started school.
My parents both live in Idaho. Dads outside Boise. Moved in 07. Mom went to the pan handle Spirit lake Idaho in 04. When they moved and we visited it looks a lot different to me than it does now. My pops meets new people on the golf course and they all come from the Bay Area.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2889th
10/2/2020 10:52am
I’m no engineer, but I found this video very interesting regarding the carbon footprint of an ICE vehicle VS an electric model. https://youtu.be/17xh_VRrnMU
I’m no engineer, but I found this video very interesting regarding the carbon footprint of an ICE vehicle VS an electric model.

While this video does raise some good points, I'm not sure how honest it is. The hard part about researching this issue is that most of the sources I can find seem to be created by groups with an agenda. I would put PragerU on the list of groups that is not going to give an honest analysis, and that is the case here.

Some issues that I question:

1) In comparing gas cars vs. electric cars, they are assuming a vehicle "lifetime" of 90,000 miles. That's ridiculous. Most vehicles are on the road for twice that.

2) Part of their argument against electric cars being green has to to with tax breaks given to electric vehicle owners. That's an entirely different question than the inherent sustainability of an electric vehicle.

3) The main gist of their argument for gas vs. electric is comparing gas to coal power. Less than 25% of electricity in the US is powered by coal. Source And more specifically to the topic at hand, in California we only get about 3% of our electricity from coal. source

Also of note is that the United States is relying less and less on coal to provide our electricity. That trend should continue going forward, which would help in the argument for electric vehicles. Source
JamesReed
10/2/2020 11:05am

Let's just put like 10 of these in Death Valley. I'm not a rocket surgeon, but projects like that could tip the scales in favor of electric pretty easily.

Skip Intro
10/2/2020 11:10am
NC is a very bad place to live. Everything and everyone is sub par. Disease, famine, mosquitoes and the plague...the NE is where it's at.
10/2/2020 11:26am
I’m no engineer, but I found this video very interesting regarding the carbon footprint of an ICE vehicle VS an electric model. https://youtu.be/17xh_VRrnMU

RichieW13 wrote:
While this video does raise some good points, I'm not sure how honest it is. The hard part about researching this issue is that most of...
While this video does raise some good points, I'm not sure how honest it is. The hard part about researching this issue is that most of the sources I can find seem to be created by groups with an agenda. I would put PragerU on the list of groups that is not going to give an honest analysis, and that is the case here.

Some issues that I question:

1) In comparing gas cars vs. electric cars, they are assuming a vehicle "lifetime" of 90,000 miles. That's ridiculous. Most vehicles are on the road for twice that.

2) Part of their argument against electric cars being green has to to with tax breaks given to electric vehicle owners. That's an entirely different question than the inherent sustainability of an electric vehicle.

3) The main gist of their argument for gas vs. electric is comparing gas to coal power. Less than 25% of electricity in the US is powered by coal. Source And more specifically to the topic at hand, in California we only get about 3% of our electricity from coal. source

Also of note is that the United States is relying less and less on coal to provide our electricity. That trend should continue going forward, which would help in the argument for electric vehicles. Source
It's not just coal, there are a bunch of jet engine powered electric powerplants as well. Unless we get more Nuclear plants, which everyone is scared of doing, I'm not seeing how electric vehicles are the holy grail people are making them out to be.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2889th
10/2/2020 11:34am
It's not just coal, there are a bunch of jet engine powered electric powerplants as well. Unless we get more Nuclear plants, which everyone is scared...
It's not just coal, there are a bunch of jet engine powered electric powerplants as well. Unless we get more Nuclear plants, which everyone is scared of doing, I'm not seeing how electric vehicles are the holy grail people are making them out to be.
The jet engines run on natural gas.

"The team made other adaptations to optimize the LM9000 for industrial applications. They switched the machine’s combustion system from jet fuel to natural gas. "

https://www.ge.com/news/reports/ge-oil-gas-just-turned-worlds-largest-j…
Skip Intro
10/2/2020 11:53am
This place is full of hypocrites. You love ripping up earth with your petroleum tires, drive a big ass something to the track and burn all types of fuel.
Can't wait for the fukin rail that runs from CA to HI or NYC to GB. .
Sell your dirt bike and get a Tesla. If this forum was dedicated to MTB, maybe this holier than thou banter would have a hint of sincerity.
STFU
dboivin
10/2/2020 12:00pm
JamesReed wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/10/02/452237/s1200_panelsreflec.jpg[/img] Let's just put like 10 of these in Death Valley. I'm not a rocket surgeon, but projects like that could tip the scales in favor...

Let's just put like 10 of these in Death Valley. I'm not a rocket surgeon, but projects like that could tip the scales in favor of electric pretty easily.

you should see the amount of birds that thing vaporizes when they fly thru the light stream. literally cooks them in .0003 miliseconds.
10/2/2020 12:03pm
10000hrs wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/10/01/452093/s1200_DDE9E4F1_E783_4640_846C_EEA8B71F7AED.jpg[/img]

I think everyone knows, that the Diesel engine was invented by Rudaph Diesel a German guy. His engine ran on peanut oil. Tanker ld port Newark nj. To Canada. Big rush on the ld, unloading I took a 5 gal pail. And borrowed 25 gal of veg oil from the tanker into the truck. The 460p Mack engine ran smoother, had fuel tank heaters which helped. Injectors Have extreme high pressure on the high performance Mack engine. I was shocked by how great it ran. I pulled 2 loads of crude oil off a lease, in w Tx. That smelled and looked like diesel fuel. At night was super creepy feeling, like there was something or people all around me. Others said the same thing. Indian burials and dessert coyotes, mountain lions are in the area.
fcr
10/2/2020 6:23pm
?

Post a reply to: Another Reason to get OUT of California >>>

The Latest