Yeah I did when I had mine.

|

3/18/2017 7:46 PM

Markopolo400 wrote:

Yeah I did when I had mine.

What did you use?

|

3/19/2017 1:14 AM

Only have dynamat around the cargo area at the moment to limit road noise, but I plan on lining insulation in the cavities then carpeting in the near future

|

3/19/2017 1:34 AM

Do you mean for temperature of sound? I install sound installation so people cannot hear the children in the back.

|

3/19/2017 2:17 AM

Well yeah, the road noise is really loud through the back of the van since its just the bare body panels, so dynamat has muffled that a bit, temperature isn't a real concern.

And I use a good quality chloroform, keeps the kids quiet.

|

3/19/2017 4:38 AM

I picked up a new Transit and it came with wall liners and heavy cargo mat that has insulation under it. It's black so I'm kinda concerned with the temperature in the summer. I'm not living in and most likely will only stay a night at a time in it.

|

3/19/2017 6:03 AM

I did a sound dampener layer. Then a radiant barrier of Reflectix. You can get it at lowes/home depot and works best if you can do double layers with air in between. Reflectix doesn't have a high R valve but with a black van I would worry more about that radiant heat.

When I did my sprinter last year, there was so many opinions on insulation what to use and not, I said screw it, just put down a heavy rubber floor, sound dampened and reflectix. Works great.

|

3/19/2017 1:34 PM

I'm about to do mine. Will do the Dynamat or equivalent and not as concerned about the temperature.

|

3/19/2017 1:39 PM

If it's rattling on the road, larger diameter comfort tires will make the biggest difference. You want as tall of a sidewall as possible as that cushions the bounces, and a larger diameter tire has better rollover ability so it won't feel like every seam in the pavement is a curb. From there, dynamat or similar will take the resonance out the panels. Don't use spray foam for large areas as it will get brittle over time and drop a bunch of crumbs into the bottom parts of the panel that will collect moisture and promote rust.

|

3/19/2017 2:15 PM

I did mine with dynamite and this silver insulation from Home Depot. My one regret was not insulting the floor enough, the cold comes right up in the winter months.
Photo

|

1/27/2019 11:40 AM

Been working on insulating mine for a few weeks now. With the kids back in school, I don't have as much time to mess with it.

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

Purveyor of Awesome
Host of Seat Time
seattime.co

twitter: @woodybepierced
instagram: @woodybepierced

1/27/2019 12:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/27/2019 12:54 PM

Photo

Mine was insulated with spray foam insulation.
|

1/27/2019 12:57 PM

I think the best insulation is the thinsulate. The reflectrix bubble wrap foil stuff doesn't work at all if it's pressed up against anything... it needs an air barrier in order for it to work.

|

1/27/2019 2:48 PM

Definitely insulate as best you can, it makes a huge difference between driving a resonating steel drum or a comfortable ride that you can actually talk in and listen to music. Also really helps in the summer and winter. Empty vans are either ovens or ice chests if they aren’t insulated. You can do it cheap with window flashing, fiberglass insulation and a reflective barrier like you would wrap air ducts with. Like the silver insulation in Joes pics a couple posts up.

|

1/27/2019 3:33 PM

I bought fiberglass insulation and put it trash bags and stuffed it everywhere I could. Also insulated the wall we put in and sound deadened everywhere else. It's pretty quiet now but I think most of the noise we still have is from the driver/passenger area.

|

1/27/2019 8:44 PM

My 05 chevy express extended is completely bare stock, no insulation, no wall, just two captain seats and I don't have any problems with noise. I can listen to music fine and I've even played podcasts off my phone speaker and could hear everything. Does get a little cold at night though

|