Another Alta Redshift MX race...

ben990
Edited Date/Time 8/11/2017 10:25am
This past Sunday it was time to race the Alta Redshift MX at the Palmyra NY motocross track.

I signed up for the two fastest classes offered, +40B and +50. OK, maybe not the fastest but the most experienced.

The Alta worked great, and I *almost* got what might have been the first moto win, and overall, for an Alta in local motocross. In my +50 class I got the holeshot in the first moto (thank you, map 4) and then got passed about halfway through the first lap, and I held onto second place.

I am friends with the guy that got first, and after the moto we were talking about two of the bigger jumps that we both weren't doing, and we both agreed that it wasn't worth it.

So, in the second moto I get the holeshot again (thank you, map 4), and led for about half a lap, got passed, and then the guy in the lead (my friend) tipped over in a corner, and I got the lead back. I led for the next 2 laps, and he passed me back. Dammit! I sucked it up, passed him back, and thought that maybe I should have ran him over when he tipped over in front of me, so that he stayed down a little longer. I pulled away a bit, and then with less than half a lap to go, and I thought I had a moto win in the bag. We come up to one of the big jumps we weren't doing... and he does it and lands next to me. WTF?! We go into the next corner side by side, and then come down a hill, and head towards another big step-up jump that we both weren't doing... and he does this one! Double WTF?! This got him a bike length ahead of me when we crossed the finish line.

Obviously his 1-1 beat my 2-2, and when we talked afterwards, I reminded him of the "agreement" we had with those two jumps but it didn't change anything. I made a mental note that if it happens again that if he tips over in front of me again I will stand on his bike until I make sure it is not running, twist the throttle a few times to flood it, and then maybe pull off his spark plug cap. Is that poor sportsmanship?

As I mentioned, the Alta worked great, but with that said, I just ordered heavier fork springs and a heavier shock spring for it. On some tracks the suspension works great, while on others I think the heavier suspension will hold up my 220 pound well-chiseled physique (and beer belly) better.

On a side note, in my recent issue of Dirt Rider, they have a "Long Haul" report of the 2017 Yamaha YZ250FX. where they talk about the bike over their 33 hours of use. Here is my "Long Haul" report on the Alta:

Primary use: motocross

Main mods: more aggressive footpegs, soon to be heavier fork springs, and heavier shock spring

Moment of glory: several plaques/trophies, hopefully a first coming soon

Forgettable experiences: getting stuck and pinned in by the Alta in a mud pit

Hours: ~35? 471.6 miles.

Aftermath: 0 oil changes, 3 rear tires, 2 front tires, 0 air filter cleanings, grips

Alta Redshidt MX: Ride. Wash. Lube chain. Repeat.

|
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
8/10/2017 7:56am
Great write up and congrats. Next time jump it yourself.

Have you noticed any decrease in battery life?
ehr400
8/10/2017 8:34am
A question also on tire life, i noticed you said you have used 3 rear tires, does it seem like since it has alot more torque that it is harder on tires? Just curious since it has peak torque from 0rpm. I remember when i had my YZ400 in 99 and kept breaking steel belts in Bridgestones from the heavier and torquier 4 stroke.
Ted722
8/10/2017 9:19am
Alta neophyte here. Can you change the map mid-race without stopping. Great write up. Thanks!
R.EX
8/10/2017 9:25am
If you hold down the right-most button on the dash, it should give you an accurate hour readout.

The Shop

ben990
8/10/2017 10:10am
I have noticed no change in battery life since I bought it.

Yes, you can change the map mid-race. I start in map 4, and then switch to map 3 or map 2 a corner or two in.

I don't think I wear out tires any faster or slower than I would on any other bike. You do hear a lot of tire scrubbing and scraping in the corners, and when I first got the bike I stopped once or twice thinking I had a flat. Now I am used to the sounds, and if anything it helps me with my throttle control, as now I can feel and hear my traction, and I can adjust the throttle accordingly.

I need to get my software updated to get the accurate hour readout from the right-most button on the dash. There is a dealer being set up near me soon. Once they are officially a dealer I will get the update.
loftyair
8/10/2017 10:22am
A few models in, when it's cheaper, longer-lasting, lighter, and more powerful, I will do what it takes to own one. Until then, liking the use updates, thanks!
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
8/10/2017 10:42am
I like how you made a mental note to run your buddy over in the Vet classes so you can get a bigger plastic trophy. Atta boy! That's Motocross!
I would definitely do that to a few of my friends.
MX Guy
Fantasy
727th
8/10/2017 11:19am
Cool man, nice read.

I like what you said about map 4, only rode the bike once but that 4th map has the potential to hang with 450's off the start easily.
LoudLove
8/10/2017 12:27pm
ben990 wrote:
I have noticed no change in battery life since I bought it. Yes, you can change the map mid-race. I start in map 4, and then...
I have noticed no change in battery life since I bought it.

Yes, you can change the map mid-race. I start in map 4, and then switch to map 3 or map 2 a corner or two in.

I don't think I wear out tires any faster or slower than I would on any other bike. You do hear a lot of tire scrubbing and scraping in the corners, and when I first got the bike I stopped once or twice thinking I had a flat. Now I am used to the sounds, and if anything it helps me with my throttle control, as now I can feel and hear my traction, and I can adjust the throttle accordingly.

I need to get my software updated to get the accurate hour readout from the right-most button on the dash. There is a dealer being set up near me soon. Once they are officially a dealer I will get the update.
"Hear my traction" - that's a line that will live on in perpetuity. Mankind will move away from listening to their exhaust, and evolve into listening to their tires, which are actually better indicators of traction & forward momentum.

Mark the date boys; the future is now!
8/11/2017 4:10am
Falcon wrote:
I like how you made a mental note to run your buddy over in the Vet classes so you can get a bigger plastic trophy. Atta...
I like how you made a mental note to run your buddy over in the Vet classes so you can get a bigger plastic trophy. Atta boy! That's Motocross!
I would definitely do that to a few of my friends.
It's not the trophy that counts; it's winning damnit!
8/11/2017 10:25am
loftyair wrote:
A few models in, when it's cheaper, longer-lasting, lighter, and more powerful, I will do what it takes to own one. Until then, liking the use...
A few models in, when it's cheaper, longer-lasting, lighter, and more powerful, I will do what it takes to own one. Until then, liking the use updates, thanks!
The bike is already too powerful for you. I know this because you're not racing the A class on a 250f.

Post a reply to: Another Alta Redshift MX race...

The Latest