Another Alta Redshift MX Race Report...

ben990
Edited Date/Time 9/5/2017 9:53am
To the guy who said in some other thread that he will puke if he reads another Alta ride/race report; here ya go and get out your barf bag!

I raced the Little Hollow XO race in Genoa, NY this past Sunday. It was a J-Day style race, where you race two 30 minute motos about an hour apart. I love this format, where my motos (+35 B class) were both in the morning and I was heading home around 12:30pm, getting over an hour of seat time.

It rained overnight, so the course (65% moto, 25% woods, and 10% hard section) was soft and slick in spots. It also started raining right before my second moto and continued the whole way through.

I almost went into panic mode when I first got there because I pulled the Alta and my son's bike out of the trailer, and when I turned on the Alta display, I saw that I only had about 1/4 battery left! WTF?! I think I got distracted maintaining my son's KX85 Saturday, cleaning the air filter and changing the gearbox oil, and I forgot to charge the Alta from a previous practice moto. Dooohhhhh!

I quickly put it on the 220v generator, and got it up to a suitable level of charge before the first moto.

I went 1-1 for 1st overall in +35B, and the Alta worked great in the slick stuff. I switched it down to map 1 after the start, as it seemed to work better in the soft muddy conditions. I could hear the scoring personnel questioning what the heck I was riding as I came through, and I also would say "Hey, how ya doin!'" to a couple photographers taking pictures, and I think they were confused and amused at the same time.

I am almost at 600 miles on the Alta, and it is by far my favorite bike in my stable. I just recently put a skid plate on it, and some cool white plastic and new graphics will be going on shortly. It feels a lot better with heavier fork springs and a heavier shock spring to my 220 pound self, and I can't wait to race this in a motocross race again.

Stay tuned for more ride/race reports, and get your barf bags ready!

Charging up between motos

Best.Scoring.Sign.Ever

The fruits of my labor yielded a solid gold medallion and gloves!

|
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
9/5/2017 7:46am
Solid gold ? Whistling

Nice work on the results, I'm looking forward to riding one of these bikes soon. If the big 6 get involved in a competitive electric bike to compete, it's going to elevate the game. It's cool to see you winning a competitive class on it already, good job
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
9/5/2017 7:48am
I still think that bike needs a re-design. To each their own but that thing is fugly.
RangerLee
9/5/2017 9:24am
Same I like the race reports and keeps me wanting to get my own Alta. Need a dealer in Pa, pronto.

The Shop

Motofinne
9/5/2017 9:33am
I would love to try one someday!

Is that shock exactly the same as on 2011-2015 KTMs? You could get a very cheap Trax shock for it second hand if it is the same. I saw one in the Bazaar for 650 bucks.

colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
9/5/2017 9:53am
RangerLee wrote:
Same I like the race reports and keeps me wanting to get my own Alta. Need a dealer in Pa, pronto.
Did you get my pm?

Ben make sure you post some pics with the white plastics. Should look better.
BTW do you wear xl gloves or is that all they were giving away? Gloves would be cool to win but my tiny hands would be disappointed
ben990
9/5/2017 10:28am
RangerLee, Motovate, a motorcycle dealer in Victor, NY, (4-5 hours away from you in PA?) just became an Alta dealer and I think they got some bikes this past Friday - give them a call at 585-924-8800 if you really want one.

I believe the shock is that same or similar to what came on the 2014 KTMs.

I wear XXL gloves. They were giving away all sizes... except XXL. The Novik XL are actually a bit tight on me.

You know what they say about guys with big hands? They wear big motocross gloves.

9/5/2017 11:15am
No, I agree with that dude. There is a forum specially dedicated to electric bikes so stop being so cocky and post it their next time.
defeatist45
9/5/2017 11:53am
No, I agree with that dude. There is a forum specially dedicated to electric bikes so stop being so cocky and post it their next time.

Lighten up, guy.

Ben990, keep it coming. By all accounts, I think my first brand new bike could end up being an Alta.

9/5/2017 12:00pm
Nice report. How is arm pump on these things? Do you think not having the clutch and on/off throttle at gear changes helps? Or is it the chassis suspension combo if?
9/5/2017 12:03pm
Why? It's moto and he's just telling it like it is. Do you believe he's not one of us, and should sit at the back of the pits too?
ben990
9/5/2017 12:28pm
defeatist45, you made me laugh out loud. Well done!

I think m.hardesty16 is just upset because my hands are bigger than his, and he lost his triangle stand at the track a while back. m.hardesty16, send me your address and I will send you one if you still need one. I have several hanging in the workshop.

I don't get arm pump at all on the Alta, but probably not because of a lack of clutch lever and/or no shifting. One reason is that there is no engine vibration at all and it is butter smooth. The main reason though is probably the fact that I am riding more at 51 years old than I have at any other point in my life! I probably get out and ride 4-5 times a week since I got this thing, where in the past I usually rode once or twice a week. I bust out 35-40 minute motos on my practice track, and on race day it makes those 10-12 minute motos seem short and easy!

PRM31
9/5/2017 1:47pm
Thanks for the update. Keep it up!

It's fun to see the cry babies come out too!

Bultaco
9/5/2017 3:10pm
there..........just saying.
loftyair
9/5/2017 3:23pm
You can try one this weekend at milestone, for free.

Post a reply to: Another Alta Redshift MX Race Report...

The Latest