Announcing by FM at local races - how well does it work?

mark_swart
11/1/2018 4:17pm
Pretty straightforward question, looking at options to propose to my local sanctioning body. Our organization travels to different tracks, so it needs to be a portable system.

Curious about the pros and cons that you have all experienced. And if anyone has been hands on, maybe some recommendations as far as specific gear. Thanks!!
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
11/1/2018 4:23pm
mark_swart wrote:
Pretty straightforward question, looking at options to propose to my local sanctioning body. Our organization travels to different tracks, so it needs to be a portable...
Pretty straightforward question, looking at options to propose to my local sanctioning body. Our organization travels to different tracks, so it needs to be a portable system.

Curious about the pros and cons that you have all experienced. And if anyone has been hands on, maybe some recommendations as far as specific gear. Thanks!!
It's nice to be able to hear it in the truck. A lot of places at the track you can't hear the PA system. Seems to be that way at almost every track out this way.
teggers
11/1/2018 4:52pm Edited Date/Time 11/1/2018 4:53pm
I actually have a ton of experience with this.
I (and several tracks) use the Ramsey FM100 with the 1 watt amp. It has to be purchased out of the country as a pre-build item. You can buy the 100 mw Unit directly from Ramsey and do your own modification. Used to be around $500 in the antenna was about 150. I heard someone was able to get one a few years back from Canada. The one watt unit uses an external antenna and make sure you use RG6 wire. Ramsey offers an Omni directional antenna with an adjustable center mast to optimize your bandwidth frequency. It’s good for about a half mile in every direction but excellent within a quarter-mile. I’m sure there’s some newer options from our Chinese friends.

It’s completely illegal but I’ve never heard of anyone ever being popped. We only use it one day out of the month or so at most tracks for the race. It’s such a small footprint I don’t think it can even be detected by the black suits.

Just get in your car and find a station that has static. Enter it in the FM100 and bingo you’re in business.

I do large car shows spread over about a half a mile and use battery powered speakers with FM receiver (built-in) and they work pretty good. I’ve also used walkmans with the headphone jack and plugged it into the speaker and it works well too! We just have to sit down and make custom cables.
Call me if you have questions 407 832 3196
Text me first or I won’t answer.
JB500
11/1/2018 5:19pm
Several tracks around here do this and as a racer it’s nice to be able to keep tabs on where they are in the program so you don’t end up in staging 4 motos to early....
Mr. Info
11/1/2018 6:24pm
Been doing it for years at Glen Helen

The Shop

JustMX
11/1/2018 6:58pm
teggers wrote:
I actually have a ton of experience with this. I (and several tracks) use the Ramsey FM100 with the 1 watt amp. It has to be...
I actually have a ton of experience with this.
I (and several tracks) use the Ramsey FM100 with the 1 watt amp. It has to be purchased out of the country as a pre-build item. You can buy the 100 mw Unit directly from Ramsey and do your own modification. Used to be around $500 in the antenna was about 150. I heard someone was able to get one a few years back from Canada. The one watt unit uses an external antenna and make sure you use RG6 wire. Ramsey offers an Omni directional antenna with an adjustable center mast to optimize your bandwidth frequency. It’s good for about a half mile in every direction but excellent within a quarter-mile. I’m sure there’s some newer options from our Chinese friends.

It’s completely illegal but I’ve never heard of anyone ever being popped. We only use it one day out of the month or so at most tracks for the race. It’s such a small footprint I don’t think it can even be detected by the black suits.

Just get in your car and find a station that has static. Enter it in the FM100 and bingo you’re in business.

I do large car shows spread over about a half a mile and use battery powered speakers with FM receiver (built-in) and they work pretty good. I’ve also used walkmans with the headphone jack and plugged it into the speaker and it works well too! We just have to sit down and make custom cables.
Call me if you have questions 407 832 3196
Text me first or I won’t answer.
I actually have that system from when I had tracks.

I bought the stronger transmitter kit as a diy add on but never installed it because I had a strong enough signal to cover my area without it.
kNewc
11/2/2018 8:09am Edited Date/Time 11/2/2018 8:10am
Get a HAM radio license and you'll be on your way. Then you can LEGALLY broadcast FM. They will give you your own FM channel to broadcast on. Then you just need an amp... You can get them legally unlike the poster mentioned above. Amateur radio is still alive. But honestly the easier/cheaper alternative would be to post it online - maybe a live podcast, FB Live, or something.
JackLHyde
11/2/2018 12:31pm
I have no idea and I am just thinking out loud, but what about using WiFi to stream it locally at the race?
mark_swart
11/2/2018 12:40pm
JackLHyde wrote:
I have no idea and I am just thinking out loud, but what about using WiFi to stream it locally at the race?
Haha I have no idea either. I do know that cel reception is bad in a lot of places where we race. That's also why doing FB or Youtube live probably wouldn't work so well.
teggers
11/3/2018 11:48pm
WiFi is another level. Maybe even 2 levels below direct.

FM is direct. It is pure.
ricko
11/4/2018 5:37am
Tbh FM is more ideal then online, who wants to steam that all day and kill data and phone battery. FM radio is simple and cost effective. Plus most tracks don’t have great phone service where I am. All use FM around me, it’s hit or miss. Depends on the track.

Post a reply to: Announcing by FM at local races - how well does it work?

The Latest