Ankle Replacement or Fusion

Torco1
3/7/2012 2:25pm Edited Date/Time 3/8/2012 10:33am
I know this has been brought up a few times here over the years, but has anyone had either of these done? I'm going to the doctor in about an hour to talk about either a fusion or replacement, the pain and "locking" of the joint is getting to be too much. I know Ridge has some thoughts on this.

Also, they are looking into knee surgery as well for chondromalacia patella (runners knee). Has anyone had this done and if so did it make a difference?

Thanks fellas
|
Highsider
3/7/2012 2:28pm Edited Date/Time 3/7/2012 2:32pm
That's heavy.
Good luck!
Ryno23
Fantasy
779th
3/7/2012 2:31pm
damn. Death by bunga bunga. Good luck torco!
Mutt
3/7/2012 2:37pm
When I did my Talus in, replacement was not an option. If I had to do it over, fusion would be my choice, much less painful in the long run is my understanding. I've got a half, at best, working ankle that is painful a majority of the time.
Torco1
3/7/2012 2:40pm
Mutt wrote:
When I did my Talus in, replacement was not an option. If I had to do it over, fusion would be my choice, much less painful...
When I did my Talus in, replacement was not an option. If I had to do it over, fusion would be my choice, much less painful in the long run is my understanding. I've got a half, at best, working ankle that is painful a majority of the time.
I know that ankle replacements really aren't to proven yet and I'm only 36 so that plays a part in it too. I had my hip replaced about 9 years ago, so I know a lot about the problems and whatnot with joint replacements. Damn dirtbikes.

The Shop

Ryno23
Fantasy
779th
3/7/2012 2:42pm
you should change your screen name to Mr. Bionic. Just a thought...
Grieby54
3/7/2012 2:43pm
Ryno23 wrote:
... We can rebuild him.
Torco1
3/7/2012 2:45pm
Ryno23 wrote:
You're not kidding, I've also broken my back, multiple ribs, collarbone, shoulder, collapsed both lungs, shredded my spleen, broken both arms and have had many concussions. All from moto........and I still ride. I'm an idiot.
Torco1
3/7/2012 2:45pm
Ryno23 wrote:
Grieby54 wrote:
... We can rebuild him.
How are your welding skills?
Grieby54
3/7/2012 2:47pm
Ryno23 wrote:
Torco1 wrote:
You're not kidding, I've also broken my back, multiple ribs, collarbone, shoulder, collapsed both lungs, shredded my spleen, broken both arms and have had many concussions...
You're not kidding, I've also broken my back, multiple ribs, collarbone, shoulder, collapsed both lungs, shredded my spleen, broken both arms and have had many concussions. All from moto........and I still ride. I'm an idiot.
Sweet baby Jesus! My welding skills aren't THAT good!
Mutt
3/7/2012 2:48pm
I was about your age when I finally realized I'd had enough. You don't bounce as well anymore and recovery seems to take three times as long.

Every one said I didn't have to quit, just had to slow down and stop doing big obstacles. I quit.
Ryno23
Fantasy
779th
3/7/2012 2:53pm Edited Date/Time 3/7/2012 2:55pm
Torco1 wrote:
You're not kidding, I've also broken my back, multiple ribs, collarbone, shoulder, collapsed both lungs, shredded my spleen, broken both arms and have had many concussions...
not true torco. you just know the pain is worth the pleasure. I am facing a hip replacement in the near future as well. I have screws holding the top of my femur together now from a crash in 2004. Spent a month in the hospital with a screwed up neck in 97, broke my T5-6 in April of 2010, a few wrist breaks over the years, blah, blah, blah... Still, there is nothing like a good day of riding/racing with my friends/family.

a little slogan for ya, Life is not a journey to the grave in a pretty and well preserved body. It's supposed to be a broadslide in from a 100mph ride, totally wore out, thoroughly used up, and loudly proclaiming "now that was a ride!!!"

best of luck to ya on your decision with the ankle but keep ur chin up and the throttle twisted.

Ryan

BTW, I'm 36 as well so I feel your pain.
Mini Elsinore
3/7/2012 2:56pm
Torc, I'm in the same boat----only with both ankles. I'm holding out for better options on the replacement side of the equation. Talked to a few guys with fusion----and they waved me off as they limped away. Let us know which path you elect and how it goeth.
RF219
3/7/2012 3:01pm
keep us posted on what they say at your meeting. I am in the same boat, I destrtoyed both of(one is a little worse than other) my ankle and one doctor says to get it all fused and my other dr is telling me to wait cause of some new replacement that should be available next year. I have been waiting it out.
stax199
3/7/2012 3:08pm
Hey Torco.. i had my entire talus replaced by a cadaver talus/ankle bone .. other option was cut off the lower leg or fusion whiich would limit shifiting walkin etc.. its ugly and not 100% but i have my enough strength and flexiblity.. i had to go thru 4 docs to get fixed.. took a long time to recover..
jimmie
3/7/2012 3:08pm Edited Date/Time 3/7/2012 3:12pm
Ryno23 wrote:
Grieby54 wrote:
... We can rebuild him.
It's never the same...

At 45 I broke my left talus/foot (and ulna&radius).
At 46I broke my left tib&fib, quite severely, at the ankle joint. 8 months later a competent orthopedist re-broke half assed fix the other doctor botched.

All to say this, I will deal with pain and discomfort until a replacement is perfected.

I have absolutely no intention to ever have a fusion done on my ankle. Time (and pain) will tell if I stay true to my words through.

I can't advise you on what to do but, good luck, and I am sorry you even have to deal with this crap, and at such a young age, (relatively speaking).

Let us know how it goes.
tireguy111
3/7/2012 3:12pm
I lived with a bad left ankle since I broke my lower tib/fib in 1997, for close to 10 years before my ankle fusion. After the fusion, the pain and discomfort was gone. My ankle didn't move anymore or anyless before and after the fusion, it just did not hurt anymore. I could still shift a motocross bike just fine as long as I didn't have a long shift throw like on an old CZ. I can't run, but then with knee problems, I couldn't run anyway. I don't know if I would have gone with the ankle replacement if it was available to me due to not being able to ride bikes or do anything sports related. Ankle replacements were not really proven for any sports related activities back then.................Good luck..............
exsarg
3/7/2012 4:05pm
im 43 relatively healthy.knock on wood, dislocated ac s bad knee. minor arthritis. after reading these posts i wanna go into the garage and start up my old ford with the door shut.
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
3/7/2012 4:49pm
tireguy111 wrote:
I lived with a bad left ankle since I broke my lower tib/fib in 1997, for close to 10 years before my ankle fusion. After the...
I lived with a bad left ankle since I broke my lower tib/fib in 1997, for close to 10 years before my ankle fusion. After the fusion, the pain and discomfort was gone. My ankle didn't move anymore or anyless before and after the fusion, it just did not hurt anymore. I could still shift a motocross bike just fine as long as I didn't have a long shift throw like on an old CZ. I can't run, but then with knee problems, I couldn't run anyway. I don't know if I would have gone with the ankle replacement if it was available to me due to not being able to ride bikes or do anything sports related. Ankle replacements were not really proven for any sports related activities back then.................Good luck..............
After a fusion you can still move your ankle?
Torco1
3/7/2012 5:04pm
I just got back from the ortho doc. It went pretty much how I expected......more questions than answers. He did talk about the cadaver procedure that Stax199 had done and said they are hoping those will get better and better. As of right now I'm not really ready for a full replacement (his words and my thoughts now) riding would pretty much be out with a total replacement. I guess they aren't as strong as hip and knee replacements because of the lesser amount of bone and soft tissue to work with.

We are going to see how much longer I can stand the pain before a fusion, he did say that sometimes full replacements can be done even after having it fused......so that is somewhat comforting. I was afraid of not being able to shift since it's my left leg but it sounds like its possible with what Tireguy is able to do. He was pretty honest though and said he would do it now if I wanted it done but I probably wouldn't be to happy with it.

As for the knee, that needs to be done but its nowhere as bad as the ankle. Just some cleanup work. I told him I would want to do that in the summer when its hotter because of riding reasons, so we are looking at July.

Thanks for all the replies and I really sympathize with all of you with similar problems, I hope you're all able to take care of your own issues.
tireguy111
3/7/2012 5:06pm Edited Date/Time 3/7/2012 5:09pm
I can move my ankle side to side quite easily. Up and down not so much. I can walk without any limp, but my ankle does move up and down alittle bit. Before I had my fusion, I could hardly stand without any pain and walking hurt quite abit. Remember there are different kinds of ankle fusions available. Some ankles need more fusion than others. You can always get a total ankle replacement after the ankle fusion. And I still ride with a totao knee replacement on my right knee and my left ankle fused.
Torco1
3/7/2012 5:15pm
tireguy111 wrote:
I can move my ankle side to side quite easily. Up and down not so much. I can walk without any limp, but my ankle does...
I can move my ankle side to side quite easily. Up and down not so much. I can walk without any limp, but my ankle does move up and down alittle bit. Before I had my fusion, I could hardly stand without any pain and walking hurt quite abit. Remember there are different kinds of ankle fusions available. Some ankles need more fusion than others. You can always get a total ankle replacement after the ankle fusion. And I still ride with a totao knee replacement on my right knee and my left ankle fused.
Yeah, that's what he told me. He said mine is at end stage arthritis, which I'm assuming isn't good. I broke the tib, fib and talus twice within 4 months of each other. The very first time back from riding after breaking it I crashed again and broke all three bones again. Now I have avascular necrosis and the joint is pretty much gone and is always swollen about twice the size as my right ankle. It sounded like mine would have to be fused pretty solid. I'm just afraid of having it done and regretting it.
I had to do the same thing with my hip and that thing got to the point of excruciating pain and the bones would literally lock together and I would have to move certain ways just to be able to move it and walk. I don't know if I want to go through that horrible crap with my ankle too.
ridge
3/7/2012 5:33pm
Cut it off, pussy.
nobhead
3/7/2012 5:39pm
my buddy's dad was the kicker for the San Diego Chargers years ago and had to have his ankle fused. I was surprised to see him walking without a limp. He said it was really not a problem.
ridge
3/7/2012 5:46pm
My left ankle was fused solid but I kept breaking it loose from Moto. That hurts. It's not a strong enough solution for moto so i had mine cut off.

The right one moves down like normal but I can't raise it up very high. It's fused a different way so it doesn't roll from side to side. Walking on lumpy grass is a little painful after a while. It still hurts quite a bit. I might cut that one off if it ever gets to the point of 20 Norcos a day (again.) If that happens, I'm gonna be the tallest sun of a bitch around. I'm tired of being short.

If you're gonna keep riding bikes and doing jumps, I'm not sure fusion is the answer. I would try it though (and other options) before cutting it off. Losing your foot and ankle isn't all that bad so I wouldn't let anybody tell you that you need to do something drastic...like quit riding. (I'm actually being serious.)
Highsider
3/7/2012 5:46pm
exsarg wrote:
im 43 relatively healthy.knock on wood, dislocated ac s bad knee. minor arthritis. after reading these posts i wanna go into the garage and start up...
im 43 relatively healthy.knock on wood, dislocated ac s bad knee. minor arthritis. after reading these posts i wanna go into the garage and start up my old ford with the door shut.
I must be a sick fuk, cause this made me laugh.Blink
Crush
3/7/2012 5:51pm
Mines fused... it's started hurting again in the end of the heel but I'd rather that than a full replacement...
Outsider
3/7/2012 6:01pm
That burning desire to get another bike has left me completely. Blink

Hope it works out OK Torco, wow.
Mutt
3/7/2012 7:26pm
ridge wrote:
My left ankle was fused solid but I kept breaking it loose from Moto. That hurts. It's not a strong enough solution for moto so i...
My left ankle was fused solid but I kept breaking it loose from Moto. That hurts. It's not a strong enough solution for moto so i had mine cut off.

The right one moves down like normal but I can't raise it up very high. It's fused a different way so it doesn't roll from side to side. Walking on lumpy grass is a little painful after a while. It still hurts quite a bit. I might cut that one off if it ever gets to the point of 20 Norcos a day (again.) If that happens, I'm gonna be the tallest sun of a bitch around. I'm tired of being short.

If you're gonna keep riding bikes and doing jumps, I'm not sure fusion is the answer. I would try it though (and other options) before cutting it off. Losing your foot and ankle isn't all that bad so I wouldn't let anybody tell you that you need to do something drastic...like quit riding. (I'm actually being serious.)
Ridge, you're a badass man! My first Docs solution was amputation, I couldn't wait to get out of his office. Second opinion was better and I would have kept getting opinions until I got one that didn't involve amputation. I was a scared little bitch!

My hat is off to you.
Kinetic1
3/8/2012 3:27am
ridge wrote:
Cut it off, pussy.
Thanks, hot coffee hurts like hell going through your nose.........dick. LOL
PastranaWho
3/8/2012 5:17am Edited Date/Time 3/8/2012 5:21am
Reason i quit riding , work and responsiblity of raising a family. When i broke my femur and couldnt work for 5 months, it financially drained me and the wife getting on my nerves about it i knew it was time to hang up the boots. And to be honest i dont miss it. The injuries are not worth it.

Post a reply to: Ankle Replacement or Fusion

The Latest