Anderson altitude sickness

beamer
Edited Date/Time 4/25/2017 11:39am
He missed the post race press conference due to this they said. What is it about altitude that causes issues ? I understand the air is thinner , but didn't he have the same thing at the national in Colorado last year ? Interesting that it has affected him yet again,
|
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
4/23/2017 8:29am
And he's from Albuquerque which is about 5000 ft elevation IIRC. I know he doesn't live there now, but I would think his body would be able to deal with it better just from living there in the past.
Crush
4/23/2017 8:36am
Didn't this happen to him a couple years back also?
JWACK
4/23/2017 8:37am
TbonesPop wrote:
And he's from Albuquerque which is about 5000 ft elevation IIRC. I know he doesn't live there now, but I would think his body would be...
And he's from Albuquerque which is about 5000 ft elevation IIRC. I know he doesn't live there now, but I would think his body would be able to deal with it better just from living there in the past.
Jason is from a small town outside of Albuquerque called Edgewood which is a town close by.
And it's up a bit higher in elevation actually.

The Shop

kkawboy14
4/23/2017 8:42am Edited Date/Time 4/23/2017 8:42am
Maybe he should go to those races on Tuesday instead of Thursday or Friday?
JVT357
Fantasy
3153rd
4/23/2017 8:44am
He needs to start planning ahead for these higher altitude races. He should be spending a whole week at the altitude prior to the events to let his body acclimatize. Its going to be a problem for him when he comes to Denver again this year. I wonder if he is taking Diamox at all before these events. Altitude sickness is a weird thing how it can effect people that are normal healthy individuals and athletes. We see it a lot here in the high country of Colorado.
kkawboy14
4/23/2017 8:45am
JVT357 wrote:
He needs to start planning ahead for these higher altitude races. He should be spending a whole week at the altitude prior to the events to...
He needs to start planning ahead for these higher altitude races. He should be spending a whole week at the altitude prior to the events to let his body acclimatize. Its going to be a problem for him when he comes to Denver again this year. I wonder if he is taking Diamox at all before these events. Altitude sickness is a weird thing how it can effect people that are normal healthy individuals and athletes. We see it a lot here in the high country of Colorado.
Is Diamox legal for him?
JWACK
4/23/2017 8:55am
Yeah for sure, Maybe he is just sick of 3rd place and it has nothing to do with altitude.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
4/23/2017 2:47pm
People have talked about how aldons program isn't for everyone, and I think it's pretty clear that Anderson is among those that don't gel with the strict regimen.
DonM
4/23/2017 2:54pm
People have talked about how aldons program isn't for everyone, and I think it's pretty clear that Anderson is among those that don't gel with the...
People have talked about how aldons program isn't for everyone, and I think it's pretty clear that Anderson is among those that don't gel with the strict regimen.
Based on what??
kkawboy14
4/23/2017 2:56pm
People have talked about how aldons program isn't for everyone, and I think it's pretty clear that Anderson is among those that don't gel with the...
DonM wrote:
Based on what??
I think he forgot Anderson just finished 3rd
4/23/2017 3:11pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2017 3:12pm
Very odd about the altitude sickness because he won his first race at Salt Lake in 2013, and if I'm not mistaken has put in some good rides at Thunder Valley. **I also remember hearing something to the effect of he has medication he was approved to take but he had thought he beat it and stopped taking it before Thunder Valley last year.** (asterisk because I may be way off, just for some reason I feel like I remember hearing that on a podcast or something)

Still he put in a good ride if he wasn't feeling too good, I hope he turns it up in the outdoors because the guys got one of the coolest riding styles in the sport and just seems to have the right attitude about racing.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
4/23/2017 3:16pm
DonM wrote:
Based on what??
kkawboy14 wrote:
I think he forgot Anderson just finished 3rd
I'll just wait til Lakewood and bump this thread.
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
4/23/2017 4:14pm
Why? Because altitude sickness is caused by Aldons training program?

Im confused where the two are related here? Can you enlighten us please?
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
4/23/2017 4:20pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2017 4:24pm
He needs at least a month, probably more for him in particular. Some people are affected more then others, physiologically speaking. He could probably greatly benefit from a transfusion, in and out, but I would imagine that is not allowed.
4/23/2017 4:58pm
he looked fine when he was boarding an early flight
PRM31
4/23/2017 5:28pm
Sleep in an altitude chamber. At one point I heard endurance athletes did that. Benefits of high altitude but still live and train a lower elevations.
zehn
4/23/2017 5:52pm
Full acclimitization takes minimum 3 weeks. Idk what the right solution is but it's for sure a problem
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
4/23/2017 6:00pm
haydos25 wrote:

He's required to live and train at sea level. Is it still confusing?
bama205
4/23/2017 6:04pm
kzizok wrote:
He needs at least a month, probably more for him in particular. Some people are affected more then others, physiologically speaking. He could probably greatly benefit...
He needs at least a month, probably more for him in particular. Some people are affected more then others, physiologically speaking. He could probably greatly benefit from a transfusion, in and out, but I would imagine that is not allowed.
other people are affected after some people?
2slow4u
4/23/2017 6:51pm
we used to have some top guys come here to practice but lately i haven't been seeing anyone. When i first moved to Utah after living in Oklahoma for 5 years i was sick as a dog for a solid week, i ended up trying some ginger root and it took it right away and i've been fine ever since.
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
4/23/2017 7:00pm
haydos25 wrote:

As do pretty much everyone except Tomac. Whats your point and what does training at sea level have to do with Aldon's strict training regime that Anderson apparently doesn't gel with?

I am still confused at what you are advocating for him to do. Leave Aldon and go join Tomac in Colorado because he is now winning? What about at round 1 and 2 when Roczen was cleaning up? Should he have moved down the road and shacked up with Kenny and AC?

davistld01
4/23/2017 8:34pm
JWACK wrote:
Yeah for sure, Maybe he is just sick of 3rd place and it has nothing to do with altitude.
That's "attitude" sickness...not "altitude" sickness.
JWACK
4/23/2017 8:42pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2017 8:43pm
JWACK wrote:
davistld01 wrote:
That's "attitude" sickness...not "altitude" sickness.
E I no huh..
Hut
4/23/2017 8:52pm
Is the Utah race even considered High elevation? what is the elevation at the track?
When I lived near Breckenridge at 9600 feet people with altitude sickness would get sent down to Denver at 5280 feet to recover.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
4/23/2017 9:09pm
Hut wrote:
Is the Utah race even considered High elevation? what is the elevation at the track? When I lived near Breckenridge at 9600 feet people with altitude...
Is the Utah race even considered High elevation? what is the elevation at the track?
When I lived near Breckenridge at 9600 feet people with altitude sickness would get sent down to Denver at 5280 feet to recover.
SLC is at 4,225ft which is definitely high enough to cause issues for someone used to being at sea level. Bear in mind, Florida is also very humid and SLC is very dry. This comes in to play as well.

Even those who live at moderately high altitude, say 4,000-5,000, can still get spaced out if they go to 6,000-8,000 and exert themselves.
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
4/23/2017 9:42pm
haydos25 wrote:
As do pretty much everyone except Tomac. Whats your point and what does training at sea level have to do with Aldon's strict training regime that...
As do pretty much everyone except Tomac. Whats your point and what does training at sea level have to do with Aldon's strict training regime that Anderson apparently doesn't gel with?

I am still confused at what you are advocating for him to do. Leave Aldon and go join Tomac in Colorado because he is now winning? What about at round 1 and 2 when Roczen was cleaning up? Should he have moved down the road and shacked up with Kenny and AC?

Really don't understand what part of this is rocket science to you, but here you go.

Dungey did Bakers program remotely from Minnesota for a brief period before moving to FL. For whatever reason, somebody determined it was important that baker have more intensive oversight on his training, so it's safe to assume--as also hinted toward in other anecdotes--that bakers program requires the riders to live and train at the facility. So the design of bakers program includes living at the factory which is at sea level.

Bakers job is to physically prepare riders to compete at the races, wherever they may be. Jason Anderson has been physically incapable of competing at Lakewood and has shown the problem has not improved with his issues at Utah. So if a riders is physically incapable of competing at an event then his physical preparation didn't do what it's supposed to.

This has nothing to do with Tomac winning. I made no mention of tomac or anybody else winning. You wrote that second paragraph on your own for whatever reason. I'm addressing a specific problem that applies to one rider. That specific problem has known solutions that haven't been implemented. Since moving to bakers program, Anderson has physically struggled at altitude.

Anderson has the ability to win races and contend for a championship. But both schedules include a race at altitude and he has a problem at those venues. He and his team cannot reasonably expect to win a championship knowing he will potentially wash out at certain rounds based on a treatable physical issue. His training needs to be adjusted by changing locations, sleeping in a pressure chamber, doping with EPO or whatever they want to do to fix this problem. Bakers program hasn't done this.
RacerX8
4/23/2017 10:27pm
haydos25 wrote:

Clearly he would have won the race if he wasn't training at the Baker Factory... Wink
haydos25
Fantasy
3333rd
4/24/2017 12:40pm
Really don't understand what part of this is rocket science to you, but here you go. Dungey did Bakers program remotely from Minnesota for a brief...
Really don't understand what part of this is rocket science to you, but here you go.

Dungey did Bakers program remotely from Minnesota for a brief period before moving to FL. For whatever reason, somebody determined it was important that baker have more intensive oversight on his training, so it's safe to assume--as also hinted toward in other anecdotes--that bakers program requires the riders to live and train at the facility. So the design of bakers program includes living at the factory which is at sea level.

Bakers job is to physically prepare riders to compete at the races, wherever they may be. Jason Anderson has been physically incapable of competing at Lakewood and has shown the problem has not improved with his issues at Utah. So if a riders is physically incapable of competing at an event then his physical preparation didn't do what it's supposed to.

This has nothing to do with Tomac winning. I made no mention of tomac or anybody else winning. You wrote that second paragraph on your own for whatever reason. I'm addressing a specific problem that applies to one rider. That specific problem has known solutions that haven't been implemented. Since moving to bakers program, Anderson has physically struggled at altitude.

Anderson has the ability to win races and contend for a championship. But both schedules include a race at altitude and he has a problem at those venues. He and his team cannot reasonably expect to win a championship knowing he will potentially wash out at certain rounds based on a treatable physical issue. His training needs to be adjusted by changing locations, sleeping in a pressure chamber, doping with EPO or whatever they want to do to fix this problem. Bakers program hasn't done this.
Well he finished on the podium this last week at altitude, are you suggesting he would've beaten Tomac or Dungey without the sickness?

What about all the results at sea level this year which have been less than stellar? Is that Bakers issue also? Because as you say he should be contending for a championships I just don't understand how you can categorically say that he should leave Baker based on this. Yes I will agree that last year at Lakewood wasn't a good look, but to be fair he'd never shown signs of that before so there was no reason to expect it to happen when it did.

And as far as suggesting EPO as a way to cure altitude sickness in a professional athlete, well I wont even dignify that with a response
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
4/24/2017 2:45pm
No. I specifically stated I'm talking about 1 rider and his problem. I specifically said this has nothing to do with Tomac winning and did not state that Anderson would have won. I'm talking about his altitude sickness which must still be a problem if he's experiencing it at a location 1,000 ft lower than Lakewood. Some people have problems with altitude sickness, others have problems with reading comprehension. One is easier to fix, apparently.

I'm saying he should adjust his program to solve this issue. That probably means leaving baker because baker is not keen on tailoring programs to specific riders, but not necessarily. His physiology has specific needs that have to be addressed, however he handles that is his business. He's showed signs again, so it's a repeated, known problem. Fix it.

Post a reply to: Anderson altitude sickness

The Latest