And the Award for Lamest Broadcast Ever Goes to...

jasonv43
Edited Date/Time 4/15/2013 9:39pm
CBS!!!

No heat race win interview with Josh Hill?
Did we really need to talk to Tucker Hibbert instead?
Was the monster truck segment really necessary?

Anything else I missed?
|
Choppy
4/14/2013 11:19am
I don't understand showing the track map after the heat races. Does it not make more sense to show it before?
Bytor
4/14/2013 11:20am
It's an Infomercial for field and monster. We're are lucky to have this much coverage I suppose. It's a dog and pony show any more. Bring on the outdoors!
DonM
4/14/2013 11:27am
Bytor wrote:
It's an Infomercial for field and monster. We're are lucky to have this much coverage I suppose. It's a dog and pony show any more. Bring...
It's an Infomercial for field and monster. We're are lucky to have this much coverage I suppose. It's a dog and pony show any more. Bring on the outdoors!
What in the world would give you that idea...
BobbyM
4/14/2013 6:29pm
Bytor wrote:
It's an Infomercial for field and monster. We're are lucky to have this much coverage I suppose. It's a dog and pony show any more. Bring...
Wtf does feld have to sell...the fucking circus?

The Shop

humtercarrot
Fantasy
2643rd
4/14/2013 6:39pm
Bytor wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
Wtf does feld have to sell...the fucking circus?
Monster jam
dirtnapper
4/14/2013 7:03pm
Come on dude!!!

That monster truck ride was the funnest three minutes of Dungey's life!! Of course they had to show it!

Laughing
rolandk
4/14/2013 7:54pm
Our local station was supposed to air it at 4:00pm but golf ran long. At 4:15 it didn't look like they were even close to being done so I said fuggit and went to the gym instead. Hop on the treadmill and guess what.... they were showing it on the gym TV's!
40Plus_922mx
4/14/2013 8:04pm
Monster trucks are the bomb.
Showing the track after it is raced is lame lame. That's like watching the theory of boxing after a knock out?
Glad CBS shoehorned both heats and the main into the tight time slot. We used to just get one heat and then the main.
KC124
4/14/2013 8:12pm
I enjoyed the battle for 12th place.
AZ35
Fantasy
550th
4/14/2013 8:17pm
During a live broadcast, it is completely understandable to "miss" some big pass or crash as it happens.

But missing the same event during an edited next day show, incompetent.

Case in point, Stewart crashing during the heat. They are showing some other riders, then show him on the ground. Then they proceed to replay it from 3 different camera angles, after we already knew he crashed so the only "excitement" was seeing WTF happened.

How about edit the broadcast to show it as it happened? That is much more dramatic and exciting than to have the announcers say he just crashed- sorry you missed it but we will replay it 6 times so you can see what you missed (that they could have showed us to begin with...).

Pet peeve I guess, but I just cannot understand what the editors are thinking when they are putting together the show and intentionally not include the most interesting part of that heat race?
AZ35
Fantasy
550th
4/14/2013 8:21pm
Oh, and agree 100% on calling BS for not showing the Josh Hill podium interview after his heat. That was the first one I can think of that I was actually looking forward to watching, given his long road from injuries I would guess it would have been pretty emotional for him to win anything. But all we can do is guess, since they did not show it. Maybe Monster made that decision for CBS.
Rewindcaz
Fantasy
3120th
4/14/2013 9:08pm Edited Date/Time 4/14/2013 9:10pm
Seriously cannot wait for Hangtown to come. Supercross on TV is treated like a circus.

I really, really hope alisports does their own version of live online practice coverage for the outdoor nationals. The live timed practice shows for Supercross have been amazing and I'm going to miss them Pinch
SEE ARE125
4/15/2013 7:42am
Didn't we already see Dungey in a monster truck? Earlier this season or maybe last season? Seems like I remember seeing that segment before. But I agree about the coverage not being up to par. We have Albrecht teaching us how to keep mud off our bikes, Dungey in a monster truck, no interview with Hill on his FIRST heat race win of 2013, and several laps missing from the races. I don't see the NBA missing the 3rd quarter to show us how to install a basketball goal at our house and inflate the ball to the correct PSI. If I was RC, I would be pissed that my rider just won his first heat race of the year, and RCH's first win at anything, and there wasn't an interview to promote the team and their sponsors.
JeepnMike
4/15/2013 9:01am
I am going to start whining about theTV coverage of the outdoors now....

Mike (I have Comcast, no Fuel, it can get worse than CBS SX airing the next day)
smoker
4/15/2013 9:04am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Didn't we already see Dungey in a monster truck? Earlier this season or maybe last season? Seems like I remember seeing that segment before. But I...
Didn't we already see Dungey in a monster truck? Earlier this season or maybe last season? Seems like I remember seeing that segment before. But I agree about the coverage not being up to par. We have Albrecht teaching us how to keep mud off our bikes, Dungey in a monster truck, no interview with Hill on his FIRST heat race win of 2013, and several laps missing from the races. I don't see the NBA missing the 3rd quarter to show us how to install a basketball goal at our house and inflate the ball to the correct PSI. If I was RC, I would be pissed that my rider just won his first heat race of the year, and RCH's first win at anything, and there wasn't an interview to promote the team and their sponsors.
I kinda thought so too. I wonder if they used the same segment cause Dungey was like "this is my first time in a monster truck" and I thought I had seen him in one before?
peelout
4/15/2013 9:09am
i thought not giving Josh Hill his interview on tv was lame as fuck. other than that, the CBS broadcast didn't bother me like it usually does
IWreckALot
4/15/2013 9:12am
I think the last Dungey/Monster Truck deal was comparing SX to Monster Trucks in general. I don't think Dungey actually got behind the wheel. . . That was probably the most legit comparison I've ever seen. . . Sarcasm.

All of the broadcast needs to be prioritized and then the production assembled. Seems like they put it together out of order.
SEE ARE125
4/15/2013 9:22am
Ok just making sure I wasn't alone on the monster truck thing. Because I clearly remember the Target deal and him driving El Toro Loco and saying it was his first time in a monster truck.

I have Comcast too, no Fuel, but somehow watched both motos last year?? I have NBC Sports, but I can't for the life of me remember what channel I watched the other motos on. But I remember having to switch between 2 different channels, Moto 1 on one channel and 2nd moto on another.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
4/15/2013 10:38am
It is a "Live to Tape" deal. There isn't a bunch of time to edit in every little incident that happened in the race after the checkered flag flew and when Feld has to satellite the feed to the CBS affiliates.

Could it be done better, sure. Is it better than nothing, yes.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
4/15/2013 10:42am
peelout wrote:
i thought not giving Josh Hill his interview on tv was lame as fuck. other than that, the CBS broadcast didn't bother me like it usually...
i thought not giving Josh Hill his interview on tv was lame as fuck. other than that, the CBS broadcast didn't bother me like it usually does
x2
Torco1
4/15/2013 10:43am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Didn't we already see Dungey in a monster truck? Earlier this season or maybe last season? Seems like I remember seeing that segment before. But I...
smoker wrote:
I kinda thought so too. I wonder if they used the same segment cause Dungey was like "this is my first time in a monster truck"...
I kinda thought so too. I wonder if they used the same segment cause Dungey was like "this is my first time in a monster truck" and I thought I had seen him in one before?
You guys are getting that mixed up with an old Viva La Bam episode where Raab himself drove a monster truck for the first time.
STBY
4/15/2013 11:01am
I don't post much and I try to keep my negative comments to myself but I want the awesome coverage we have (same day and next day air) to promote the sport and create new viewers who want to watch Supercross... My issues and the things that I think could be better...

For Minneapolis

1. The heat race deal was a fail for sure and I'm sure the powers that be know and will do a better job in the future, I think that is the first time they didn't interview heat winners... Josh Hill is a feel good story and maybe his ability to overcome adversity could inspire new viewers and would have brought some major exposure to his team and sponsors, who totally deserve it!

2. The monster Truck segment was a waste, although Target did get some exposure as one of Dungey's sponsors so not a total waste if that makes sense...

3.Tucker Hibberts segment was not so bad and at least crosses over into moto, sort off (he spent years trying to succeed at Supercross) but if you're not going to interview heat winners and air things like this it looks bad and doesn't offer teams and companies of the sport ROI. I know it's not felds job to help promote the teams sponsors but there has to be a balance or the teams go away... JWR, Kranyak Racing, JDR, L & MC, that is a lot of teams folding in 1 year!

4. Tyler Bowers! Stop trying to make it look like he is some success of the "Ricky Carmichael Road to Supercross"... I get what they are trying to do but, this kid has been around for awhile and was pretty serious prospect before he turned pro! He did start out racing a lot of Arenacross because he was too young to turn pro and too big to ride 80's... He raced Supercross for a while, but found his way back to arenacross several years ago (injuries, lack of a good ride, money, etc) it wasn't because he didn't have supercross skills...

Just a suggestion for all the shows, get Ricky out of the booth and maybe use him in smaller segments... I really don't think they need 3 people in the booth, Ralph and Jeff do a pretty good job for the most part. I'm not a Ricky hater but he is not very good in there! His name is definitely recognizable too a ton of people who don't follow the sport closely. Maybe he could be utilized else-ware in the broadcast. Plus as a team owner he has a conflict of interest that I think hurts his team as he really tries to stay away from hyping his own riders during the broadcast, even if it's deserved. Definitely a no win situation for him and his team...

In general it's good and I am thankful that we have all the coverage we have!
rallendude
4/15/2013 3:08pm
NOTHING peeves me more during a SX broadcast than to hear the crowd erupt while watching 12th and 13th battle for position, THEN go and show it all in replay.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
4/15/2013 3:48pm
Unless I missed it, I thought another low point was that they didn't show any of the LCQ or results. I didn't know if JS7 was racing the main until I saw a 7 on a jersey going thru the first corner....
DonM
4/15/2013 5:01pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
smoker wrote:
I kinda thought so too. I wonder if they used the same segment cause Dungey was like "this is my first time in a monster truck"...
Torco1 wrote:
You guys are getting that mixed up with an old Viva La Bam episode where Raab himself drove a monster truck for the first time.
Nope they showed that exact same segment last year
czernik
4/15/2013 9:39pm
Ya and Ralph ..do you need to yell so much ..I hear ya!!!!!!!

Post a reply to: And the Award for Lamest Broadcast Ever Goes to...

The Latest