Anaheim 2 amateur day....

RangerLee
10/24/2017 9:35am
Went to a few in the late 80's, it was carnage lol, so many people going down that in my mind it could hold a torch to endurocross. (ok not that many falls, but it was alot)

Even with the "mellowed" track, the whoops alone took their toll.
twotwosix
10/24/2017 9:36am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2017 9:37am
I rode amateur free practice day at the Charlotte USGP and they left the track the exact same. It was awesome. We were still going 4 over the wall outside of the track into the back straight and the lips were all still good. Didn't tame it down at all. Then I was at Atlanta for the Amateur SX racing the Sunday after and the track looked boring as hell. They knocked everything down BIG time. Glad I didn't pay to race that one.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/24/2017 10:02am
JM485 wrote:
Awesome! I seriously have to put some thought into making this race happen, I've always wanted to give something like this a try. Hopefully they expand...
Awesome! I seriously have to put some thought into making this race happen, I've always wanted to give something like this a try. Hopefully they expand it next year to all of the rounds, then it wouldn't require such a long drive.
I knew you'd be the 1st in line at sign up! Go get 'em tiger. Keep the rubber side down Cheerful
JM485 wrote:
Lol you know I'm down to race anything, I'm a little scared of this one though. We'll see what the prices are when entries become available...
Lol you know I'm down to race anything, I'm a little scared of this one though. We'll see what the prices are when entries become available tomorrow, and there's also a lot of logistical issues I need to consider before I commit to it. I'm SO excited that they're going to run these though, I think it's awesome that it's getting opened up to the public since this is the only chance most of us will get to ride a track like that.

Mattyhamz2 I'd be in 250C, I'm not old enough for 25+ yet, a couple years off. I'm worried it's going to be a zoo out there and super sketchy, most guys in the class can ride really well when you get up near the front (regardless of what Vital thinks), but it's usually the biggest class and that many guys on a tight track like that could be pretty scary.
Ahh bummer! +25 is awesome! Don't have to worry about those 14-16 year old kids that don't mind going balls out for a trophy when you have to work on Monday haha. I completely agree with you though. No matter what Vital says, Most guys in the C class can ride. I know back east the c class is the beginner class, but out here isn't like that at all.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/24/2017 10:05am
Bret wrote:
I got to race an amateur event at the L.A. Coliseum back in '82. It was one of my most memorable races. Still have the Maico...
I got to race an amateur event at the L.A. Coliseum back in '82. It was one of my most memorable races. Still have the Maico too.

My dad has a picture of him jumping out of that also. He always wished that I could have raced at the coliseum and have one of those pictures also. I'll try to find that picture of him and post it. its awesome!

The Shop

Johnny Depp
10/24/2017 12:00pm
Bret wrote:
I got to race an amateur event at the L.A. Coliseum back in '82. It was one of my most memorable races. Still have the Maico...
I got to race an amateur event at the L.A. Coliseum back in '82. It was one of my most memorable races. Still have the Maico too.

Priceless! Great Pic and gear, bike, style etc. Rocking the red boots, not sure but your jersey looks like it spells OMGTongue That bike is the best ever, especially if it was a 490. Still competitive. Thanks for posting.
TJMX947
10/24/2017 12:14pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Ahh bummer! +25 is awesome! Don't have to worry about those 14-16 year old kids that don't mind going balls out for a trophy when you...
Ahh bummer! +25 is awesome! Don't have to worry about those 14-16 year old kids that don't mind going balls out for a trophy when you have to work on Monday haha. I completely agree with you though. No matter what Vital says, Most guys in the C class can ride. I know back east the c class is the beginner class, but out here isn't like that at all.
I think you're confusing East with the North. C class around here usually has some quick people on the gate.

Hell to graduate out of D class you have to jump 90% of the jumps on the track to even stand a chance in C class. I have friends from Wisconsin who started off in C and were moved to B by their district and me being a C rider we turned similar lap times.
Radical
Fantasy
2384th
10/24/2017 12:17pm
I've heard from others that there's a heck of a lot of waiting for very few laps. I'm down for it though. It would be very cool to race a pro track. I won't be doing the huge doubles, that I guarantee.

I got to race Pala the week before the national in 2011. That was absolutely awesome! The only major difference was that they turned a huge table top in front of the bleachers into an insane double for the pros.

If money is good, and I get in some good practice, I'm considering it. I'll be in 40+ C.
smrscott
10/24/2017 4:57pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2017 4:58pm
One of the Amateur days in the 90-20s that Saundra P helped put on there were so many riders you were luck to get a few laps of practice, riders kept getting off the track and getting back in line. The races were 3-4 laps and the day started at 6am and they were racing till 2am the next morning. Practice started so late because people kept singing up and they did not shut the classes off at two divisions, there were like 7 in each class.

If they limited the classes to 22 riders per class, might be a fun event.

I had the chance to race Sun Devil in 86, Anaheim in 87, LA coliseum in 94 or 95 and a Thunderbike race at Anaheim under the lights with 15 thousand spectators - I was the last rider to make the main

10/24/2017 7:25pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2017 7:25pm
smrscott wrote:
One of the Amateur days in the 90-20s that Saundra P helped put on there were so many riders you were luck to get a few...
One of the Amateur days in the 90-20s that Saundra P helped put on there were so many riders you were luck to get a few laps of practice, riders kept getting off the track and getting back in line. The races were 3-4 laps and the day started at 6am and they were racing till 2am the next morning. Practice started so late because people kept singing up and they did not shut the classes off at two divisions, there were like 7 in each class.

If they limited the classes to 22 riders per class, might be a fun event.

I had the chance to race Sun Devil in 86, Anaheim in 87, LA coliseum in 94 or 95 and a Thunderbike race at Anaheim under the lights with 15 thousand spectators - I was the last rider to make the main

My dad got the chance to race those thunder bike races two different years. One year he was on a husaberg that looked more like a tank. I was about 12 years old at the time, but he won the lcq and got interviewed on the podium. It was pretty awesome.

I'm still on the fence about this amateur day race. Ill have to see how they are going to do sign up. Limiting entries would be good for everyone. But worse for the promoters pocket book.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
10/24/2017 7:56pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2017 7:59pm
Chains wrote:
Why 2 supermini classes both 9-15
One of them is called the Amsoil Dominator Supermini.
Pretty much the standard supermini classes. Supermini I, 9-15, allows 85 2T's (and their wheel size) to accommodate the younger sized riders. Supermini II, 13-16, w/supermini size measurements only, like wheelsize.
speed_racer
Fantasy
1939th
10/24/2017 8:01pm
It's all about the memories. Go for sure if you can get signed up.

10/25/2017 7:31am
AzTrooper wrote:
In 1994 I raced the amateur days at Anaheim and Las Vegas . The tracks were tamed down quite a bit. Anaheim more so than Vegas.I...
In 1994 I raced the amateur days at Anaheim and Las Vegas . The tracks were tamed down quite a bit. Anaheim more so than Vegas.I got 11th out of 20 at Anaheim.I have a feeling that the other 9 riders probably crashed and DNFd haha. At Vegas, they left the whoops just as they had been in the 250 main the night before. They were brutal (for me). I messed up in them during practice and had to go to the side of the track just to get started again.It was a lot of fun but a bit intimidating for me.
John
I too raced Vegas, but in 90’ and yes they left the whoops.... Not fun with stock suspension on my 1990 CR125.
Bret
10/25/2017 9:26am
Bret wrote:

Priceless! Great Pic and gear, bike, style etc. Rocking the red boots, not sure but your jersey looks like it spells OMG:P That bike is the...
Priceless! Great Pic and gear, bike, style etc. Rocking the red boots, not sure but your jersey looks like it spells OMGTongue That bike is the best ever, especially if it was a 490. Still competitive. Thanks for posting.
Thanks for the kind words. The MXL boots were plastic and were like wearing ski boots. I think that was the last time I ever wore them. The jersey was from a shop named D.M.G. in San Pedro, California. I still have the jersey too. They sold Maicos and Jet Skis if I recall correctly. The Maico is a 1981 490 and I still ride it in vintage races here in California. Interesting thing about the photo. Look in the bottom right corner and you will see a fender. I jumped nearly halfway down the peristyle every lap except this one because I didn't want to land on the guy in front of me. Just my luck that was the one lap when they snapped the photo. It was a blast jumping out into the coliseum and floating down so far. I felt like a hero for a day.

Post a reply to: Anaheim 2 amateur day....

The Latest