Anaheim 2 Supercross Futures 25+ video

Csb146
Edited Date/Time 1/23/2019 1:50am
Raced 30+ and 25+ at the A2 Supercross Futures. I'm a mid class vet B rider. I'm not lighting the world on fire, but I'm not a bad rider, and I've never felt like such a squid in my life. There were several guys in both of my classes that packed it in after 1 practice which is a bummer because it's not a cheap race. I understand they track needs to be tough for the "futures" class, but it's a bummer when they are basically building a track that the top 15% of dudes there can ride, and the rest of the people who pay just to go and have fun spend the day trying to not die. If you're thinking about doing one of these races it might be something to consider. I still had fun, but it was also one of the most nerve racking things I've ever done. This video was my last race and honestly by that time I was more concerned with just going home safe.

https://youtu.be/3uxb0fDU1X8
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
1/21/2019 3:17pm
Damn dude I was watching that nervously. Those two rhythms looked pretty sketchy. Bet it was fun though!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
1/21/2019 3:18pm
Csb146 wrote:
Raced 30+ and 25+ at the A2 Supercross Futures. I'm a mid class vet B rider. I'm not lighting the world on fire, but I'm not...
Raced 30+ and 25+ at the A2 Supercross Futures. I'm a mid class vet B rider. I'm not lighting the world on fire, but I'm not a bad rider, and I've never felt like such a squid in my life. There were several guys in both of my classes that packed it in after 1 practice which is a bummer because it's not a cheap race. I understand they track needs to be tough for the "futures" class, but it's a bummer when they are basically building a track that the top 15% of dudes there can ride, and the rest of the people who pay just to go and have fun spend the day trying to not die. If you're thinking about doing one of these races it might be something to consider. I still had fun, but it was also one of the most nerve racking things I've ever done. This video was my last race and honestly by that time I was more concerned with just going home safe.

TSCHAM101
1/21/2019 3:20pm
man I shoulda raced it with you in 25+.. I thought I was gonna run into all the ex-pros...
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
1/21/2019 3:24pm
TSCHAM101 wrote:
man I shoulda raced it with you in 25+.. I thought I was gonna run into all the ex-pros...
Exactly why I didn't push to do it this year Laughing

Let's do it next year boys!

The Shop

deanwhite51
Fantasy
2582nd
1/21/2019 3:34pm
man tough track! can see people who genuinely half decent riders struggling.
Hard to say behind a screen but looks like almost taking the wide lines would of been key.

looks a lot more harder to keep a flow the the other tracks we have seen.

1/21/2019 3:34pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2019 3:42pm
I was initially pretty surprised by the difficulty. That said, I thought the track was tough but I appreciated the difficulty. The tracks last year were too easy in my opinion. This track had some easy sections and some challenging sections. It showed you how truly gnarly supercross is.

I hope they keep doing amateur SX races for years to come. I also hope local tracks in this area start building actual "SX Futures" level practice tracks. For example, the Amateur SX at Milestone is a fricken joke. It is way too easy and didn't actually prepare me for yesterday. That track is more of a vet sx track. SX Futures was a real supercross track tamed down slightly.

PS: I was the guy on the Alta in 30+ Wink . Had bad luck and didn't make the main, but i had the speed to make it (based on laptimes). With 4 lap heats and 3 lap LCQ's, its really tough to recover from bad starts or bad luck early in the race. It really puts into perspective how important gate picks are and how important a good start is.

BTW: Renofilter captured a photo of you and I in the heat i think?

1/21/2019 3:54pm
Another note. I wasn't really happy with how gate picks for the heats were assigned. They assigned gate picks by the order in which you signed up for the event. They should use times in practice as a way to seed you into the heats. I was 13th/40 in lap times in practice but had 21st gate pick in the heat (i was way outside on the gate).
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
1/21/2019 3:59pm
Another note. I wasn't really happy with how gate picks for the heats were assigned. They assigned gate picks by the order in which you signed...
Another note. I wasn't really happy with how gate picks for the heats were assigned. They assigned gate picks by the order in which you signed up for the event. They should use times in practice as a way to seed you into the heats. I was 13th/40 in lap times in practice but had 21st gate pick in the heat (i was way outside on the gate).
Or pick numbers from a bucket.

I've always been to races where you either picked a number from a bucket or they picked based off of sign ups.
Csb146
1/21/2019 4:01pm
I was initially pretty surprised by the difficulty. That said, I thought the track was tough but I appreciated the difficulty. The tracks last year were...
I was initially pretty surprised by the difficulty. That said, I thought the track was tough but I appreciated the difficulty. The tracks last year were too easy in my opinion. This track had some easy sections and some challenging sections. It showed you how truly gnarly supercross is.

I hope they keep doing amateur SX races for years to come. I also hope local tracks in this area start building actual "SX Futures" level practice tracks. For example, the Amateur SX at Milestone is a fricken joke. It is way too easy and didn't actually prepare me for yesterday. That track is more of a vet sx track. SX Futures was a real supercross track tamed down slightly.

PS: I was the guy on the Alta in 30+ Wink . Had bad luck and didn't make the main, but i had the speed to make it (based on laptimes). With 4 lap heats and 3 lap LCQ's, its really tough to recover from bad starts or bad luck early in the race. It really puts into perspective how important gate picks are and how important a good start is.

BTW: Renofilter captured a photo of you and I in the heat i think?

I agree that last year the track was too easy, and I think this year was basically at limit of what I’m willing to do, haha. The upshot of it being so technical though was even if you crashed you probably weren’t going fast.

I was also gunna transfer outa the 30+ heat, but I ran out of talent with a lap to go and ended up in some tough blocks.
OldnBroken
1/21/2019 4:06pm
OMG I need to race one of these. I wish they still had the Vancouver SX Sad
DJBobbyD
1/21/2019 4:13pm
Did they have a cutoff on how old a bike you could ride in the “Vet” class? Like could someone race a bike from the 90’s or 00’s and just blend in? Seems to me tthat there are a lot of older guys that go pretty fast on clapped out 03 CRF450’s and the like??
snackfedbear
1/21/2019 4:24pm
Looks gnarly!! how much practice time did you actually get to get the rhythms down and such?
Csb146
1/21/2019 4:28pm
DJBobbyD wrote:
Did they have a cutoff on how old a bike you could ride in the “Vet” class? Like could someone race a bike from the 90’s...
Did they have a cutoff on how old a bike you could ride in the “Vet” class? Like could someone race a bike from the 90’s or 00’s and just blend in? Seems to me tthat there are a lot of older guys that go pretty fast on clapped out 03 CRF450’s and the like??
I’m pretty sure as long as you’re paying they don’t care what you’re on.
Csb146
1/21/2019 4:30pm
Looks gnarly!! how much practice time did you actually get to get the rhythms down and such?
For each class you got 4 laps of practice = about 4 minutes. Which just added to the difficulty.
milamcreek
1/21/2019 4:39pm
not knocking your riding ability, if you are more of an outdoor track rider or don't have an opportunity to ride arenax or sx style tracks you will have issues with rythym sections. sx futures track are just that rythym and flow. tracks look great this year. see you in Houston. (knee willing)
Jason_Ashton
Fantasy
4022nd
1/21/2019 4:42pm
Csb146 wrote:
Raced 30+ and 25+ at the A2 Supercross Futures. I'm a mid class vet B rider. I'm not lighting the world on fire, but I'm not...

But atleast you looked good while doing it.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2310th
1/21/2019 5:46pm
milamcreek wrote:
not knocking your riding ability, if you are more of an outdoor track rider or don't have an opportunity to ride arenax or sx style tracks...
not knocking your riding ability, if you are more of an outdoor track rider or don't have an opportunity to ride arenax or sx style tracks you will have issues with rythym sections. sx futures track are just that rythym and flow. tracks look great this year. see you in Houston. (knee willing)
Wow, another Athenian! Gotta meet up somewhere for a few motos!

And OP, I know exactly what you're saying--I tried racing the 30+ class at the Waco arenacross last year, and after crashing four times in practice and qualifiers, I felt like an absolute idiot that couldn't ride a lick. Went out to Swan MX on Sunday and felt absolutely fantastic in the 50+ class, even won a moto. Same bike, same rider, just a totally different kind of track. Crazy how much skill AX / SX takes.
Kyle978
1/21/2019 6:51pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2019 6:52pm
I certainly don’t mean to be rude, but you may be overestimating your abilities.

There’s a big different riding tight, technical tracks if you’re used to outdoor only.
1/21/2019 6:56pm
Hey who gives a shit if he’s overestimating or underestimating his ability. . Why do we do this ? To have fun.
TymeMoto
1/21/2019 7:10pm
Jump turns, split lanes and whoops before a finish line double seem like a bad idea for amateur day.

It also seems like some of the jumps in the rhythm sections were smaller but the spacing remained unchanged. Same with the finish line. That’s a long jump considering the size of the face combined with the fact that the whoops section leading up to it slows everyone down...
Kyle978
1/21/2019 7:14pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2019 7:14pm
Hey who gives a shit if he’s overestimating or underestimating his ability. . Why do we do this ? To have fun.
Well, because he signed up for SX race and is complaining it was too difficult.

That looked like the build up for Brandon’s first race.
kaptkaos
1/21/2019 7:27pm
I watched your video and I thought you did really well, not just anyone can ride one of those tracks, especially with 4 laps of practice and first time jitters. You did really well.
bvm111
1/21/2019 7:27pm
Kyle978 wrote:

Yeah you’re cool dude, post up your video.... we’ll wait.
Kyle978
1/21/2019 7:32pm
bvm111 wrote:
You’d be surprised
Csb146
1/21/2019 7:32pm
Kyle978 wrote:

I'm not really complaining, or at least that's not my intent. I still had fun, and it's a cool experience. I'm trying to say it's a bummer for guys that payed just to realize it was to hard for them and they just left, and maybe if you're planning on going to one of these take it into consideration that the tracks are day and night harder compared to last year. That's all.
Kyle978
1/21/2019 8:32pm
I’d be surprised if you actually did It
You’re a SoCal local, let’s go ride
Kyle978
1/21/2019 8:46pm
I do more of this these days

But I still have some of this in me

I raced AX in 06-09. Indoor is no joke, it should be left to the pros IMO. Respect to the OP for not getting defensive.
SoCalMX70
1/21/2019 8:51pm
Kyle978 wrote:

No, he's actually dead on in his assessment of the situation and he had the balls to share his experience.

They decided to amp up the tracks considerably this year yet still invite C class riders and old guys with open arms. It doesn't work very well, period. I know several decent riders (and a few not so decent) who didn't expect such a difficult track and they straight up backed out of it.

Post a reply to: Anaheim 2 Supercross Futures 25+ video

The Latest