Anaheim 2 Pass Counts

Bosco
Edited Date/Time 1/20/2020 6:46pm
What a night of racing at Angel Stadium! Yesterday's track was very challenging, giving races heavily influenced by mistakes, especially in the 250 class. This was reflected in the pass counts with season high numbers everywhere.

250s:

Points of note:
- In the 250s, there were at least 108 passes made, up 30 from last week's 78. This includes Craig's DNF.
- Hayes put in a relatively silent charge after a lap 2 problem put him in 21st. He recovered to 8th, giving him the most passes in class, and the most passes of any 250 rider in the season to date.
- Oldenburg's recovery from a poor start and first lap got him from 17th to 7th.
- Ferrandis made 6 passes on his way to 1st.
- Craig was the only rider to not make a pass, after starting first and (contraversially) DNFing from 2nd. This put Craig in the most passes conceded position again this week with 21 passes against. Last week he conceded 19 places after a fall and DNF.
-Forkner lost 16 places overall, 15 of them in his get-off in the whoops.

450s:

Points of note:
-450 riders made a total of 125 passes from the end of lap one of the main event, (35 last week, 77 at A1)
- Davalos is your charger this week, making 13 passes during the race. This is a poor start, combined with a lap 3 incident that put him in 22nd for 4 laps. He came back to 13th place.
- Tomac is high up the passes board again, this time making 9 passes (and conceding none) on his way to his maiden win of this decade.
- Tied with Eli on 9 passes is Hill, who lost 12 places in the first few laps, but regrouped immediately and held on to his finishing position of 12th for over half the race
- Tomac, Brayton and Stweart were the only riders not to concede a position.
- Roczen was the only rider not to make any passes, although I'm sure he'll be happy enough with a 2nd place finish and the red plate.

Standard caveats:
- Counting only starts from the end of lap one, as the AMA don't publish holeshot positions.
- This method only picks up positions at the end of each lap, so if a rider passed someone and got passed back in the same lap it won't show here.
- DNFs are counted. Any DNF shows as a pass for each competitor behind the downed rider, and as many positions lost by the rider themselves.
- I might have made a mistake when transposing data from the PDF to my spready.

Can anyone else spot anything interesting I missed?
|
Crush
1/19/2020 11:32pm
Tracks have been good this year. Not necessarily the design, but the builds.

Keep em steep, slow and more technical. Id like to see them push it more. More mistakes, better racing.

A2 was the more like last few years and seemed to spread out a bit.
FlaNard
1/19/2020 11:53pm
I love these posts. Lots of really good information that the track builders should pay attention to if they want to make the tracks good for racing. Thanks for taking the time to put these together.
Bosco
1/20/2020 10:52am
Crush wrote:
Tracks have been good this year. Not necessarily the design, but the builds. Keep em steep, slow and more technical. Id like to see them push...
Tracks have been good this year. Not necessarily the design, but the builds.

Keep em steep, slow and more technical. Id like to see them push it more. More mistakes, better racing.

A2 was the more like last few years and seemed to spread out a bit.
I'm not sure that I agree that more mistakes makes for better racing. I'd much rather have seen Bagget dice it up a bit with Roczen and Tomac to end up with a pass count of 2 or 3, instead of making a mistake and ending up passing 7 guys in the back half of the pack. Maybe small mistakes would help improve racing, but I don't think washing out a front and falling 10 places would.

The A2 pass counts are only high due to the amount of big mistakes and DNFs. I might try and see what the numbers might look like if you exclude DNFs. It's difficult though, as a DNF results in everyone behind gaining a position.
Crush
1/20/2020 6:46pm
Bosco wrote:
I'm not sure that I agree that more mistakes makes for better racing. I'd much rather have seen Bagget dice it up a bit with Roczen...
I'm not sure that I agree that more mistakes makes for better racing. I'd much rather have seen Bagget dice it up a bit with Roczen and Tomac to end up with a pass count of 2 or 3, instead of making a mistake and ending up passing 7 guys in the back half of the pack. Maybe small mistakes would help improve racing, but I don't think washing out a front and falling 10 places would.

The A2 pass counts are only high due to the amount of big mistakes and DNFs. I might try and see what the numbers might look like if you exclude DNFs. It's difficult though, as a DNF results in everyone behind gaining a position.
Do we count a crash as a mistake? Bagget washed the front end coming in to a turn right? Not sure track design had anything to do with that.

I 100% believe the slower the tracks the better the racing... there's lots in that conversation (bikes, tracks and their effect on mistakes) but in general I think if the guys aren't going "holy shit!" all the time, they're more likely to have an opportunity to pass and try too.

Post a reply to: Anaheim 2 Pass Counts

The Latest