An old man considers a 2019 KTM 300 XC

Related:
Create New Tag

2/20/2019 8:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/20/2019 8:29 PM

I'm taking my old RM250 back wheel into the KTM dealership for a new tire, and I walk by this thing.
So- fuel injection, healthy little extra CC from a 250, sick WP suspension with twist-knob adjustment, OIL injection (no mixing), quick-change air filter, electric start. beautiful craftsmanship and distinctive styling. The Japanese Big 4 need to get their asses in gear if they want to hang with KTM.
This thing is insanely cool, and they are apparently flying out the doors. (and yes, I am really just a dirt bike fan, not getting paid) What you need in this business is the ability to inspire people to ride, and this bike qualifies.

|

2/20/2019 8:28 PM

300xc isn't a TPI, but a good bike nonetheless.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

2/20/2019 8:30 PM

Here's the pic:

Photo

|

2/20/2019 8:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/20/2019 8:33 PM

yes, XCW. Good bike, most seem to really like them with relative few issues.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

2/20/2019 8:50 PM

That’s a pic of the xcw, not the xc. They are both great bikes. The xc is more for GNCC, fast paced racing. The xcw is more geared toward extreme enduros or weekend riders who don’t want to have all that snap.

|

2/20/2019 8:51 PM

Sierra Ranger wrote:

I'm taking my old RM250 back wheel into the KTM dealership for a new tire, and I walk by this thing.
So- fuel injection, healthy little extra CC from a 250, sick WP suspension with twist-knob adjustment, OIL injection (no mixing), quick-change air filter, electric start. beautiful craftsmanship and distinctive styling. The Japanese Big 4 need to get their asses in gear if they want to hang with KTM.
This thing is insanely cool, and they are apparently flying out the doors. (and yes, I am really just a dirt bike fan, not getting paid) What you need in this business is the ability to inspire people to ride, and this bike qualifies.

Just buy it already. You only live once, go and have some fun on that thing. You'll make it work.

|

2/20/2019 8:54 PM

Must be wise man and....Speak with the wallet....wink

|

There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear.

2/20/2019 8:59 PM

agn5009 wrote:

That’s a pic of the xcw, not the xc. They are both great bikes. The xc is more for GNCC, fast paced racing. The xcw is more geared toward extreme enduros or weekend riders who don’t want to have all that snap.

Thanks- I updated the right photo once I realized, I think. Damn, KTM has a lot of bikes.
I will own some version of this bike, at some time. I am getting ready to hopefully buy a house, so a new bike isn't quite in the picture, but it can be a hell of a motivator!

|

2/20/2019 9:04 PM

My worthless opinion is, if you have the means, pull the trigger. My 72 year old dad has a '13 300XC, and he loves it.

|

2/20/2019 9:58 PM

I pulled the trigger on the ‘19 XCW 300 TPI

I haven’t gotten to ride it yet, I got 4 more weeks of healing to finish ! But I’ve torn it down to grease it and install the necasary upgrades (and then some...) ??

|

2/21/2019 12:59 AM

This has been talking to me all winter Photo

|

2/21/2019 2:05 AM

I bought a 300 of the 2012 used a couple of years ago, I use it for MX and Enduro, I've even done some racing with it.Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

2/21/2019 6:10 AM

Photo

I bought mine about 2wks ago, got to ride it once. Love the bike, motor is very smooth and it feels lighter than my 18 250sxf.
|

2/21/2019 6:18 AM

The XC is a pussycat to ride. Too much boost? Just boot it into the next higher gear to mellow the power. Nice to look at but I rode one last weekend and for the money ($9K) it isn't that much better than older models. You can save a lot of $$$ and go just as fast on an older 300. Still, new is new.

|

2/21/2019 6:39 AM

I would get the 300 carb bike. I watched a very interesting video on youtube. twice....

|

ride

2/21/2019 7:14 AM

Looks like an awesome machine--KTM has been leaving the "Big 4" behind for years imo.

Amongst one of the Clubs out here Arizona Trail Riders (ATR) there are many hardcore dudes who ride GNARLY single-track that some of it could be considered TRIALS sections. Anyway the majority of them are on 300's.

M/C sales are down across the board and KTM and Husky sells out on these MODERN 2-storokes year after year, Boggles my mind on why the Japanese can't pick up on this and come up with some modern 2-strokes and update them every 3 yrs or so. Bike sales are Bikes sales aren't they?

|

2/21/2019 7:20 AM

G-man wrote:

Looks like an awesome machine--KTM has been leaving the "Big 4" behind for years imo.

Amongst one of the Clubs out here Arizona Trail Riders (ATR) there are many hardcore dudes who ride GNARLY single-track that some of it could be considered TRIALS sections. Anyway the majority of them are on 300's.

M/C sales are down across the board and KTM and Husky sells out on these MODERN 2-storokes year after year, Boggles my mind on why the Japanese can't pick up on this and come up with some modern 2-strokes and update them every 3 yrs or so. Bike sales are Bikes sales aren't they?

The japanese , for the most part, play follow the leader with each other and don't really seem to be aware of what is going on in the world of bike sales. Or they don't care.

There are TONS of 350f and 300 two strokes at the local off road races....tons of them. All purchased at a premium price. All the while, the hapless japanese are having year end fire sale after fire sale to give away overstock.

you would think one of the big four would step out and do it's own thing...Yamaha shows a slight glimmer of hope. But likely they will just continue to take their cues from each other, ignoring what is going on at the retail sales level. Seems like the japanese are very good at thinking inside the box

|

ride

2/21/2019 7:25 AM

G-man wrote:

I honestly don't think the Jap's care and to an extent KTM doesn't either. Yes, they do R&D and produce newer and better 2stks but they don't push them on the consumer like they do the 4stks. None of there pros besides Cody Webb even rides a 2stk. And Cody only rides them at the extreme enduro's, he rides a 350 everywhere else. GNCC, FGSE, NEPG are there guys are on 4stks. Russell Bobbitt just won sumter NEPG on a 300xc but he's racing on his dime now. Yamaha makes that 250X but its 90% the same as the mx model. I just don't see any of the big 4 making (or improving ie Yamaha) 2stks again.

Hard enduro seems to be gathering steam, "IF" anything would convince them to build 2stks it would have to be that. Because GNCC and all other forms of off-road racing is dominated by 4stks.

|

2/21/2019 7:26 AM

The 300 is a sweet sweet ride. I've ridden an 01, 06, 14, and 17. They just keep getting better and better.

I even raced an Arenacross on one just for the hell of it. It was a hoot.

Haven't ridden the FI version yet but I don't think you really need it unless you are doing long point-to-point enduros more like a adventure bike than the kind of trail riding most of us do.

|

2/21/2019 7:37 AM

user760a wrote:

I would get the 300 carb bike. I watched a very interesting video on youtube. twice....

Most of the bikes in that video are the same few guys. There ARE problems with some of them but I think most are having good luck. Granted, I did just buy a used 2018 250 TPI. I may be a little on the optimistic side. However, what I did find interesting is, if there are so many problems with them, why aren't they dumping into the used market? I looked over a four or five state area and found two used TPI bikes - one 2019 Husky and one 2018 KTM.

|

2/21/2019 8:19 AM

I think maintenance has some to do with the TPI's bad rep, I saw on another site the service manual suggests changing the oil pump every 40hrs.

|

2/21/2019 8:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2019 8:27 AM

In reference to the TPIs, a well known local KTM dealer posted the other day that they've had 20 TPIs go out the door and not a single one has come back with an issue.

That video was created to get viewers to his channel. You miss the backstories on the issues. For example the guy who siezed his because his aftermarket GET ECU wasn't energizing the oil pump.

|

2/21/2019 8:42 AM

I raced a 17 300xc in Secca harescrambles and loved it.
Photo

|

2/21/2019 8:44 AM

I'm looking at this thing in the dealer going "She would divorce me...but maybe living in an apartment and eating Stouffers every night wouldn't be so bad..hmmmm."

|

2/21/2019 9:02 AM

yeah, i can see how a few disgruntled individuals may have put that video out

|

ride

2/21/2019 9:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/21/2019 9:21 AM

Sully wrote:

My worthless opinion is, if you have the means, pull the trigger. My 72 year old dad has a '13 300XC, and he loves it.

We have 3 TPIs total. 2 Husky one KTM. All flawless so far. 2 Get worked HARD in winter with Timbersled kits.
Solid stuff. My Dads gets daily use year round. About a mile out to get the mail and newpaper so that plus alot of woods riding.

|

2/21/2019 10:06 AM

Ian_McGregor wrote:

This has been talking to me all winter Photo

I have a 2017 husky. I picked up the TE because I have been doing more extreme enduro than harescrambles. I absolutely love the bike. I did do a regular harescamble on it at the end of last year. I changed the sprockets and put the red power valve spring in and it worked great. It felt perfect for faster paced harescramble. Then when I got back to the extreme enduro stuff I switch stuff back around. It’s such a versatile bike. You can do literally anything on these things.

|

2/21/2019 11:17 AM

The best for me is 2012-2016, in 17 change the carburetor...afte comes the TPI...

With my bike I can ride MX and Enduro, with road legal in the street, for MX is better take out the counter kms for don´t broke it.

|

2/21/2019 5:22 PM

Ohhhh yeah. Hell yeah.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

2/21/2019 6:02 PM

I do not think it would be a disadvantage at all. I am 31 and ride mine on all different terrain. Street, track, woods...you name it. It handles quite well on the track, and makes great power. It uses the same chassis and suspension as an SX, just slightly softer valving.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....