An exceptional tribute to Magoo...

DC
5/5/2010 2:03pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:22am
Jody and I don't always see eye-to-eye on things, but I have to say this is an exceptional piece of motocross literature about Magoo that everyone should check out:

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/GODSPEED-DANNY-MAGOO-CHANDL…

DC
MX Sports
|
5/5/2010 2:09pm
DC wrote:
Jody and I don't always see eye-to-eye on things, but I have to say this is an exceptional piece of motocross literature about Magoo that everyone...
Jody and I don't always see eye-to-eye on things, but I have to say this is an exceptional piece of motocross literature about Magoo that everyone should check out:

DC
MX Sports
Yep saw that earlier, very nice indeed.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
5/5/2010 2:45pm
And he had to know that if Billy Grossi was telling him Magoo was crazy, the bar was set pretty high.
Ozzy
5/5/2010 4:30pm
"GREAT job JODY!"Woohoo
I enjoyed it.
Dave O.Wink

The Shop

jmar
5/5/2010 4:37pm
Thanks Jody

Magoo has always been one of my favorite riders. He rode with the heart and determination of a true champion.
Crush
5/5/2010 5:00pm
I agree, first thing I read this morning, great article...
elsinore
5/5/2010 5:19pm
Thanks Jody. That was an awesome tribute.
mr50racer
5/5/2010 5:40pm
Wow. Chills....My first meeting of magoo was when he came and raced around missouri and kansas back in 76/77 time frame. He was riding suzukis and he would start the pro races and he would build up such a lead that he would stop and get a drink during the motos.. He would be doing no handers back then. Nobody did that stuff back then...I was there the day he hit the AMA official and he just jumped off his bike at full speed....He was on of kind for sure.. You can't think of the history of MX with saying magoo in there.....Beautiful article by jody......
`ol Ger
5/5/2010 5:54pm
Well spoken, JW.
mxer146
5/5/2010 5:55pm
Excellent article Jody. Thanks Jody.
Highsider
5/5/2010 6:02pm
Nice article on Danny.

This gave me a big smile:
"...and when Magoo came by he often was so out of control that he went behind the assembled mechanics, most of whom were frozen in fear."
500guy
5/5/2010 6:07pm
Highsider wrote:
Nice article on Danny. This gave me a big smile: [b]"...and when Magoo came by he often was so out of control that he went behind...
Nice article on Danny.

This gave me a big smile:
"...and when Magoo came by he often was so out of control that he went behind the assembled mechanics, most of whom were frozen in fear."
Excellent piece Jody
prillernut
5/5/2010 6:43pm
frikken' awesome! very well done, Jody Smile Thank you!
BobbyM
5/5/2010 7:18pm
DC wrote:
Jody and I don't always see eye-to-eye on things, but I have to say this is an exceptional piece of motocross literature about Magoo that everyone...

DC
MX Sports
i met jody through magoo at gh a couple of years ago...awesome jody, thanks
andymoto
5/5/2010 8:05pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 10:38pm
Thanks Jody for a well written tribute to Danny.

SIMX
5/5/2010 8:23pm
Pretty damn cool tribute!
Wandell
5/5/2010 8:35pm
Great job Jody!
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
5/5/2010 8:56pm
Very good read. RIP and thanks for the racing DMC.
roguemx
5/5/2010 9:11pm
I was still in diapers at the end of Magoo's career, but that was an awesome read and the guy was a true bad ass. RIP Magoo.
Coyote
5/5/2010 9:39pm
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
X1000
easywriter
5/5/2010 10:21pm
Magoo the man was as large as life a figure as Magoo the racing legend.
FlaNard
5/5/2010 10:47pm
RIP to a legend.
Tbill
5/5/2010 10:53pm
Great article, Thanks.

My memories of Danny were of him killing the mini-bike class at Carnegie, going as fast as us on the bigger bikes and then riding that 250 CZ in the novice class with his arms stretched way out to reach the grips. He could barely reach the pegs, much less the ground. To bad there aren't some of those picture floating around. That was amazing in itself watching that little guy ride that 250 CZ all the way around the old lower Trans-Am track.

Then a few years later at a CMC race at Fremont, I was running like 5th in the 250 Pro class and passed Danny after he crashed, of course he passed me right back. He then crashed again and so I passed him again. Then of course, he got up flew right back by me. Some guys would come up behind you and you could hear them. You would almost never hear Danny. He would pass you as soon as he caught you where ever that was on the track. Danny was going to the front and you were just another obstacle along the way.
5/5/2010 11:21pm
I had the privlege of meeting Danny post injury about eleven years ago. We were living in Truckee and I was out at the track at prosser pits by myself just ripping around burning off some steam after a day at work. I noticed across the field there was this guy over there in a wheelchair, out in the middle of this bumpy dusty riding pit, coaching a young kid who was also practicing. So I rode over and stopped just to say hi and chat. I realized immediately who it was. I said hows it going or something and he with that huge smile said hi I'm Danny Chandler . I couldn't believe it finally meeting the legend that I idolized as a kid and I gave him my respects as a star struck moto fan ( and he smiled and accepted it graciously). What struck me was how sincere he was, we spoke for about a half hour or so and he was very convicted with regards to safety and educating kids about safety and the consequence's of injury. He told me that when he was racing he just wanted to go as fast as he could and please everyone (sponsors,fans etc..). He said that no one ever told him to slow down or take it easy. I could see the regret and pain in his eyes as he explained this to me. It was truly a moment where I was so blown away meeting this legend I idolized as a kid out in the middle of crappy ridng pit in the Sierra mountains and at the same time was deeply saddened to witness what had become of his physical state. The reality of this was utterly sobering. I never really understood what it meant up close to be paralyzed. This moment really impacted me deeply. What also struck me was his will to share his experience so that others would not have to ever experience the same thing he had to. He had passion toward it, he actually inspired me to go out and get a neck brace after that. I think what Jody said in his tribute about how to him Danny's highlight wasn't his legendary performances while racing but how he perservered after his injury. He found a purpose and made the best of a terrible situation. I am selfishly sad that he has passed but I am thankful for him that his struggle and pain is now behind him. God Bless, Danny, thanks for the memories and hopefully we'll see you on the other side man.

Good night guys.
robkinuk
5/6/2010 12:43am
I had the privlege of meeting Danny post injury about eleven years ago. We were living in Truckee and I was out at the track at...
I had the privlege of meeting Danny post injury about eleven years ago. We were living in Truckee and I was out at the track at prosser pits by myself just ripping around burning off some steam after a day at work. I noticed across the field there was this guy over there in a wheelchair, out in the middle of this bumpy dusty riding pit, coaching a young kid who was also practicing. So I rode over and stopped just to say hi and chat. I realized immediately who it was. I said hows it going or something and he with that huge smile said hi I'm Danny Chandler . I couldn't believe it finally meeting the legend that I idolized as a kid and I gave him my respects as a star struck moto fan ( and he smiled and accepted it graciously). What struck me was how sincere he was, we spoke for about a half hour or so and he was very convicted with regards to safety and educating kids about safety and the consequence's of injury. He told me that when he was racing he just wanted to go as fast as he could and please everyone (sponsors,fans etc..). He said that no one ever told him to slow down or take it easy. I could see the regret and pain in his eyes as he explained this to me. It was truly a moment where I was so blown away meeting this legend I idolized as a kid out in the middle of crappy ridng pit in the Sierra mountains and at the same time was deeply saddened to witness what had become of his physical state. The reality of this was utterly sobering. I never really understood what it meant up close to be paralyzed. This moment really impacted me deeply. What also struck me was his will to share his experience so that others would not have to ever experience the same thing he had to. He had passion toward it, he actually inspired me to go out and get a neck brace after that. I think what Jody said in his tribute about how to him Danny's highlight wasn't his legendary performances while racing but how he perservered after his injury. He found a purpose and made the best of a terrible situation. I am selfishly sad that he has passed but I am thankful for him that his struggle and pain is now behind him. God Bless, Danny, thanks for the memories and hopefully we'll see you on the other side man.

Good night guys.
Thank's for sharing that, really sums up the man we all came to know and love.
Hank_Thrill
5/6/2010 5:20am
Awesome write up.

For a guy that rode the way he did, it almost puts me in a state of disbelief that a hay-bale after a checkered flag would end his racing career.
motomike137
5/6/2010 5:24am
He was born for that brief moment in time when he got the factory Honda ride and went on that tear. He was born to ride those factory Honda big bores and wring everything out of them. Two of what I feel are the most iconic of American MX photographs are both pictures of guys jumping out of gravity cavity... the one of Hannah, and the one of Danny sailing through the air one handed, big bore Honda crossed up sideways, thumb in the air with his free hand, roadhog on the back of his pants... WFO!

http://www.dannymagoo.com/merchpics/UNADILLA-poster-large.jpg
DoctorJD
5/6/2010 5:40am
Great piece!
I saw Magoo ride several times when the big boys came south for the Nationals, SX or, Trans USA. Controlled chaos was, indeed, the best way to sum up his style. The guy was larger-than-life. RIP Magoo.

Post a reply to: An exceptional tribute to Magoo...

The Latest