An Informal Look at AMA C Class (updated page 3)

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
6/14/2017 10:08pm
Racerxx wrote:
Here in Southern California, we get kids from everywhere coming to compete. My son is just starting to win a few local events and occasionally break...
Here in Southern California, we get kids from everywhere coming to compete. My son is just starting to win a few local events and occasionally break the top 10 at a National event it's just making him work harder riding with the faster kids. We know a few of the "sandbaggers" from the past couple of years they are from good families and truthfully it helps you get a step up in this industry and they have gained support from their good results so there's incentive to stay C sometimes. You always here "We are turning intermediate after Loretta's" or "after Mammoth". I see you're frustration with the reclassification the AMA should really look harder at what they are doing to the sport by creating these lifetime novices. When my son gets the nod he'll be moving up to B
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I see you are local. What is your kids name? Are you guys heading to mammoth next week?
Racerxx wrote:
We are leaving for Mammoth in the morning my son is Justin Richards #87 on a Yamaha he's entered in the 450C and 250CJr class. He'll...
We are leaving for Mammoth in the morning my son is Justin Richards #87 on a Yamaha he's entered in the 450C and 250CJr class. He'll also be riding the Support class on VET weekend against Darryn Durham so we'll see where his speed is at. He likes me to get pictures of him lining up with the fast guys. Are you heading to Mammoth?
That's awesome! Good luck to you guys and I'll be keeping an eye out for him in the results.

I wish I could say that I was, but money is tight and I'm way too out of shape for that right now. Plus, last year Sebastian Tortelli won the class I would be riding, +25 A/B/C. I can't justify all the money to know I'm racing a bunch of ex pros Laughing
wardy
6/14/2017 10:19pm
jrminiquad wrote:
[i]"and by the way. the "spread sheet" i would like to see it and scrutinize it a little bit as have been a part of appeals...
"and by the way. the "spread sheet" i would like to see it and scrutinize it a little bit as have been a part of appeals process and it's not a "money only" deal. If it was it sure the hell wouldn't be 50.00? 500.00 then yea it's a money deal. There is normally very few appeals."

My personal spreadsheet is nothing more than a list of the 19 riders who were advanced to B last year by the AMA because last years results ended up giving them an RPV over the limit to stay in B class. The sheet also included the actual RPV number, years they have raced C, what area qualifiers they entered in C, and the classes they were in.

If you do a rider search on 17 of those 19 riders on the AMA website, it then shows that their current status is "C" because of appeal to the AMA.

Don't know, couldn't get any answers. Just taking their advancement list and rider profiles at face value.
The appeal process isn't real hard. It's AmA Congress delegates who review results, appeal letters, and question local racing districts, or if those are not available they discuss the appeal with track owners/ referees.

Has very little to do with the 50.00 and more to do with giving the AMA member his/her fair shake if they feel they shouldn't be advanced. The persons chosen for this appeal task do not know the riders they are making a decision on, it's based on results, and opinions like stated above.

Most if not all will call and discuss the process with the appealing rider to get their idea on why, how, and what the circumstances are.

This isn't a "job" that anyone on the appeal boards take lightly. I have been on many over the years just not lately so I haven't been involved for a couple years.

When advancement was done locally (state or districts) it wasn't uniform it wasn't even close to "fair", as many riders simply didn't have to advance. Fast forward to late 90's and early 2000's, we crafted a process which took the "good" points from many districts who like our district had used an RPV system and it worked.

The process isn't fool proof, and isn't perfect no argument there. My point.

What out there is better? Actually on a national level there isn't anything and never has been.

anyway. I would vote for "no C'' class at the nationals. in a heart beat. But look at the sign ups, it's the biggest classes across the country so you know damn well that won't fly.

We have lessened the impact on advancement at the local or "small" events, as to not advance riders to quickly as we all know it had a devastating affect on local racing. But that in it's self didn't much fix anything as today's rider practices, races the "big" races and doesn't ride other races in fear of advancement and the whole idea that local racing is a devalued process.

Since this process (my opinion here) won't be "fixed" anytime soon or at all. Lets just face it, C class isn't the "beginner" or new rider class anymore. Hasn't been for a very long time, specially since we started crowning C class national Champions.

Being involved with this since the early 90's maybe we just kick the can one more time, Have three tiers of racing A/B/C and start offering Beginner. 10 years ago i would have said nope and I am not in love with the idea, but tracks i see doing this are getting big turn outs and those kids are truly beginners.

Today's hurdles with 10k motorcycles and 4 lap motos jumping 120' jumps are much more a concern of mine in this sport then sand bagging that has been going on since classes were invented.

I have asked the same questions brought up in this post, and if i had the time i would look it up as well hence why i wanted to see the spreadsheet.

by the way I don't think the appeal process has a lot of "action". It sure doesn't see 300-400 appeals a year, hell i don't think it's 100.
the other point. this National Advancement Process has has 100% amateur racing compliance for a very long time, like maybe 10 years? So. No one is being "missed" because of non compliance by the AMA Amateur Race promoters and Clubs.

think about that for a second. ALL AMA MX results are being included. That was the hardest part of this program but has been consistently been done year in and year out. I realize a great many of the active posters here love to bash and blame AMA for much of this. Do you think for a second that Mx sports wants to handle this? or any other "promoter"???? Hell no, they get to be the knight in shining armor and the AMA gets to be stomped on, it's part of the process as well.

I don't get back here much, and actually forgot that I had posted what i did. Jrminquad pm me that spreadsheet. I would like to see it.

wardy

ricko
6/15/2017 5:28am
Neverclear wrote:
Yeah, that was a crazy concept. If I remember correctly, the winner was from the UK.
jndmx wrote:
That would be the infamous "Attack MX" race.
Falcon wrote:
Adam Chatfield won it and was eventually disqualified. He raced AMA Supercross the following year, I'm pretty sure.
ricko
6/15/2017 5:31am
Indy mxer wrote:
DC's silence on this subject is deafening. To me, LL's is a big money grab anyway. Besides the C class being a joke, the vet classes...
DC's silence on this subject is deafening. To me, LL's is a big money grab anyway.
Besides the C class being a joke, the vet classes are unfair as well.

They're called the "Amateur Nationals", yet the Vet classes are littered with ex-pro's.
You can work your ass off and spend a ton of money to get there. Then enjoy getting smoked by an ex-pro.
Once a pro, always a pro. imo

That said, I think DC has done a great job with the pro nats!!
DC has been rather busy getting his own national together this week, possibly he may chime in next week if this is still floating around.

The Shop

ricko
6/15/2017 5:35am
Indy mxer wrote:
DC's silence on this subject is deafening. To me, LL's is a big money grab anyway. Besides the C class being a joke, the vet classes...
DC's silence on this subject is deafening. To me, LL's is a big money grab anyway.

They're called the "Amateur Nationals", yet the Vet classes are littered with ex-pro's.
You can work your ass off and spend a ton of money to get there. Then enjoy getting smoked by an ex-pro.

mattyhamz2 wrote:
I'm with you on the vet classes. I ride +25 novice and no way in hell do I want to try to qualify with guys like...
I'm with you on the vet classes. I ride +25 novice and no way in hell do I want to try to qualify with guys like Reynard and the other that ride +25. I'd rather save my money and race locally in my class fairly, not spend thousands of dollars to drive halfway across the country knowing I'm going to get smoked back there by ex pros. No thanks!
I somewhat agree, I am 28 right now, I stand no chance in +25, 250B or 450B classes. I am at a tough spot for classes but it is what it is, at least +30 is a sportsman's class and I'll be there in a few years. I don't mind the pros being able to race, I mean they are racers at heart, they still want to race. They have a 125 B/C class at lorettas that I would love to try for but for some reason they limit the age 12-16, not sure why 3 schoolboy aged classes are really needed.
6/15/2017 5:38am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I'm with you on the vet classes. I ride +25 novice and no way in hell do I want to try to qualify with guys like...
I'm with you on the vet classes. I ride +25 novice and no way in hell do I want to try to qualify with guys like Reynard and the other that ride +25. I'd rather save my money and race locally in my class fairly, not spend thousands of dollars to drive halfway across the country knowing I'm going to get smoked back there by ex pros. No thanks!
Wishful thinking. You wouldn't make it out of your area qualifier if you were 25 novice, ergo you wouldn't be driving across the country to spend thousands of dollars. This kind of complaint drives me batshit.
danman
6/15/2017 8:21am
Here is my take. The AMA is useless and has been for YEARS. If wasn't already a life member, I wouldn't have paid any more $ to a sanctioning body that operates like they do.
As far as LL. I like the idea that if you raced the C class this year and qualified for LL, you get bumped. No appeals, just go race with the faster guys. For that matter, you could do that for every graded(A, B, C) class. I don't know about anywhere else, but D16 has a very skinny A class. By bumping everyone from the lower class up each year, the higher classes would fill out a bit more.
As for the age based classes. If you have EVER held a pro card, you don't get to race an age class. LL should just have an ex-pro class and stuff them all together there. It's quite ridiculous that I could show up at LL and have to race Jeff Emig, Jeremy McGrath, Damon Bradshaw, etc. Hell, I wouldn't see them after the start straight. There is no way I'd every get to their speed.
Anyway, LL and Mammoth have definitely contributed to the downfall of 'fair' competition in motocross. The bad part, the AMA is allowing it and doesn't seem to care.
steveada
6/15/2017 8:50am
Why is this always coming up? I looked at the laptimes in 250B vs 250C limited classes at ironman. B class top 5 was running 7-10 seconds a lap faster than C class top 5. That's a pretty big split and doesn't really fit all the complainers narrative that these C class sandbaggers are running faster laps than B class, Sure the top guys in C could have beat a bunch of the riders in B class, but that is going to happen no matter what system you use to stratify the riders. Bottom line is that no mater what C class was back in the day, it is not a beginner class anymore. That's why most of the local races have D or beginner classes now.
wardy
6/15/2017 12:36pm
danman wrote:
Here is my take. The AMA is useless and has been for YEARS. If wasn't already a life member, I wouldn't have paid any more $...
Here is my take. The AMA is useless and has been for YEARS. If wasn't already a life member, I wouldn't have paid any more $ to a sanctioning body that operates like they do.
As far as LL. I like the idea that if you raced the C class this year and qualified for LL, you get bumped. No appeals, just go race with the faster guys. For that matter, you could do that for every graded(A, B, C) class. I don't know about anywhere else, but D16 has a very skinny A class. By bumping everyone from the lower class up each year, the higher classes would fill out a bit more.
As for the age based classes. If you have EVER held a pro card, you don't get to race an age class. LL should just have an ex-pro class and stuff them all together there. It's quite ridiculous that I could show up at LL and have to race Jeff Emig, Jeremy McGrath, Damon Bradshaw, etc. Hell, I wouldn't see them after the start straight. There is no way I'd every get to their speed.
Anyway, LL and Mammoth have definitely contributed to the downfall of 'fair' competition in motocross. The bad part, the AMA is allowing it and doesn't seem to care.
sounds like you know exactly what they do, how much work they do and how they operate.

I sure wish guys would be way more informed on how the amateur side of AMA works.

Dave from D16 was instrumental in getting the advancement process ready to implement. I know since i worked with him on it.

A class numbers are what they are because of two things.

1. local racing can't pay those guys enough to take the risks they have to take.
2. they are at time in their personal lives where daddy isn't paying anymore, they have to become self sufficient adults and can't afford the sport and be solvent.

The problems today are not "17" riders but maybe 2-3 or three that make the whole process look bad it happens to often.

There is a rule in place that riders that appeal "back" in classification can be "re looked at". I do believe there are some riders being "re-evaluated" as we discuss this stuff on here. Watch how big of brew ha ha hits this place if a rider gets moved BAck to B. Then once again AMA will suck.

AMA will never come on post boards and air the laundry, promoters, riders, etc will, AMA will not. So it's easy to bag on those people who have dedicate themselves to the sport.

My opinion I always looked at how it affects to sport first, then the individual. Maybe not the correct thinking, but it has to be fair. and that word can be a bitch.

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
6/15/2017 3:13pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Wishful thinking. You wouldn't make it out of your area qualifier if you were 25 novice, ergo you wouldn't be driving across the country to spend...
Wishful thinking. You wouldn't make it out of your area qualifier if you were 25 novice, ergo you wouldn't be driving across the country to spend thousands of dollars. This kind of complaint drives me batshit.
It was a hypothetical if I made it. But even at that, at the area and regionals around here there would be a ton of local A and B riders trying to qualify for the class which keeps me from even thinking about trying to go to an area. Same with Mammoth. I looked at the Racers List earlier this morning and a majority of the +25 A/B/C are also riding either 250/450 pro, 250/450 b, open a or open b. I'll wait until I am 30 so I can race my actual class. I don't want to be in the same race with the A and B guys. No business racing with those guys.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
6/15/2017 3:24pm
Indy mxer wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:
ricko wrote:
I somewhat agree, I am 28 right now, I stand no chance in +25, 250B or 450B classes. I am at a tough spot for classes...
I somewhat agree, I am 28 right now, I stand no chance in +25, 250B or 450B classes. I am at a tough spot for classes but it is what it is, at least +30 is a sportsman's class and I'll be there in a few years. I don't mind the pros being able to race, I mean they are racers at heart, they still want to race. They have a 125 B/C class at lorettas that I would love to try for but for some reason they limit the age 12-16, not sure why 3 schoolboy aged classes are really needed.
I don't have a problem with them racing at all in the A classes, but I just don't see a reason to group the C guys with A and B. Thankfully +30 is split up by classes! There is one local promoter around here that actually splits all of the +25 guys and I am able to ride 2 classes(+25 Open and +25C) and not have to deal with all the young kids in 450C Laughing I have a family to take care of and work on Monday! haha
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
6/15/2017 4:27pm
jrminiquad wrote:
Although it has been discussed and debated for years, and seems to pop up every season, I actually took an informal, but in depth, look at...
Although it has been discussed and debated for years, and seems to pop up every season, I actually took an informal, but in depth, look at the AMA area qualifiers to see if C class sandbagging is as common and widespread as made out to be.

What prompted this was an observation at an area qualifier for the Loretta Lynn’s National Championship where an A-class rider signed up to race and qualify in the 450C class. The rider was quickly recognized by a fellow racer and after speaking with the track referee, was disqualified for the day.

While looking at results after this same area qualifier I did a quick Google search of the rider that finished first in two C classes. This rider was from Canada and I easily had found out he raced in 250B and 450B classes in Canada a total of thirty times last year (winning two thirds of those races). I spoke with the AMA and after they looked at his results deemed that he was ineligible to race C class. Their statement was that once you race a higher class race in the same style of competition, regardless of location, that is where you stay.

Moving on, I referenced the AMA’s 2016 B class Advancement list that is issued at the end of every season to alert what riders are being moved from C to B class because of either participation in the national or because their Rider Performance Value (RPV) was high enough to bump them to the next level of competition.

What I found was that there were a total number of nineteen riders who had qualified in one or more C classes at one or more area qualifiers who should have been racing B class. Their names were either on the AMA’s advancement list, last revised in December, or they had raced in at least one B class race last year.

Some of these riders raced in only one area qualifier, while others raced in up to four qualifiers trying to secure a qualifying position to advance to regionals. A few still did not qualify in some of their classes, while others swept whatever classes they raced.

The AMA also has a “Rider Search” function as part of their website. It is here that you can look up racers who have competed in AMA events and is also where the AMA pulls the information to assign the riders’ RPV number. It was here that I found that seventeen of the nineteen advanced riders who were racing C classes, had appealed their B class advancement and had it approved by the AMA.

According to the AMA, the appeal process consists of paying a $50 fee, filling out a form, and having a review by a three member panel. One of the things they take into consideration is how many years the rider has been racing in C classes, and of the appeals granted, most riders have been racing C for three to five years.

Once the AMA makes their ruling on an appeal it is final, and may not be appealed again. Of interesting note is the following taken from the AMA completion rulebook regarding rider classification appeal:

e. Riders who wish to contest placement, are [b]only those who are considered completely noncompetitive
in the class they are leaving and won’t dominate the class in which they are returning

h. The AMA Appeal Board reserves the authority to re-evaluate and overturn an advancement/
classification appeal decision based upon new information and / or documented race results
within six months of the Appeal Board’s decision.[/b]

On the surface it seems the advancement system is in place to serve riders who enjoy racing and occasionally finishing in a top spot, but who may not be of the talent required to make it to the national. However, that does not seem to be the case and in complete opposition to section “e” regarding noncompetive riders when some of these approved appeal riders have swept their four areas qualifier classes with finishes of first place in each. In reality, all seventeen riders who had their advancements repealed by the AMA qualified in the area qualifiers to advance to regionals. It makes you wonder what documentation they included in their appeals process that made the AMA believe that they were “noncompetitive” in their class.

The AMA touts that they have a system in place to ensure that competition is fair in their sanctioned races and the road to Loretta’s. You might even remember an article they published at the beginning of this year titled “A is A, B is B and C is C” reiterating the monitoring of rider classification. The only part that seemed to be left out of that article is that if you didn’t like your classification, $50 could buy the one you want. The AMA’s 2016 Advancement list had a total of 99 riders who were advanced to B class because the RPV number exceeded the allowable limit to stay in C class. Of this total, 25 riders appealed and were approved to continue racing C class.

Old-timers will tell you it was a bit of an honor to receive word from the AMA that you were being bumped up a class because of your riding abilities. Many argue that C classes should not be offered at the national. I can see the argument for that, but at the same time you want to build the sport and a sure way to do that is including the C classes at the national.

Bottom line, and everyone should be willing to admit it, it all comes down to money. Whether you are MX Sports requiring the “Qualifying Fee” at races, E-Score bumping up the price of transponders at regionals, the RV site raffle at the national, or the dad driving his kid to four area qualifiers across the country just trying to get into one spot.

In summary, it seems to be that everything that has been repeated each season regarding “sandbagging” appears to have merit, and looks to be actually be promoted by AMA.
Actually, on the offroad side, we set a precedent this year. An individual who had reclassified from A to B in offroad was reevaluated, and required to race A from that point forward. This was the first time the clause to re-evaluate a reclassification was invoked...it was not previously used in MX either.

One thing to note...when someone is suspected of sandbagging, or riding illegally in a class (yes, even the local A guy that drops to B is illegal per AMA rules) a written protest must be filed with the AMA referee, or his/her designee. Such a protest must be supported by documentation, and there is no provision anywhere in the rulebook which would allow for an individual so protested to continue to compete in the lower class.

harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
6/15/2017 7:19pm
wardy wrote:
The appeal process isn't real hard. It's AmA Congress delegates who review results, appeal letters, and question local racing districts, or if those are not available...
The appeal process isn't real hard. It's AmA Congress delegates who review results, appeal letters, and question local racing districts, or if those are not available they discuss the appeal with track owners/ referees.

Has very little to do with the 50.00 and more to do with giving the AMA member his/her fair shake if they feel they shouldn't be advanced. The persons chosen for this appeal task do not know the riders they are making a decision on, it's based on results, and opinions like stated above.

Most if not all will call and discuss the process with the appealing rider to get their idea on why, how, and what the circumstances are.

This isn't a "job" that anyone on the appeal boards take lightly. I have been on many over the years just not lately so I haven't been involved for a couple years.

When advancement was done locally (state or districts) it wasn't uniform it wasn't even close to "fair", as many riders simply didn't have to advance. Fast forward to late 90's and early 2000's, we crafted a process which took the "good" points from many districts who like our district had used an RPV system and it worked.

What out there is better? Actually on a national level there isn't anything and never has been.

anyway. I would vote for "no C'' class at the nationals. in a heart beat. But look at the sign ups, it's the biggest classes across the country so you know damn well that won't fly.

We have lessened the impact on advancement at the local or "small" events, as to not advance riders to quickly as we all know it had a devastating affect on local racing. But that in it's self didn't much fix anything as today's rider practices, races the "big" races and doesn't ride other races in fear of advancement and the whole idea that local racing is a devalued process.

Since this process (my opinion here) won't be "fixed" anytime soon or at all. Lets just face it, C class isn't the "beginner" or new rider class anymore. Hasn't been for a very long time, specially since we started crowning C class national Champions.

Being involved with this since the early 90's maybe we just kick the can one more time, Have three tiers of racing A/B/C and start offering Beginner. 10 years ago i would have said nope and I am not in love with the idea, but tracks i see doing this are getting big turn outs and those kids are truly beginners.

Today's hurdles with 10k motorcycles and 4 lap motos jumping 120' jumps are much more a concern of mine in this sport then sand bagging that has been going on since classes were invented.

I have asked the same questions brought up in this post, and if i had the time i would look it up as well hence why i wanted to see the spreadsheet.

by the way I don't think the appeal process has a lot of "action". It sure doesn't see 300-400 appeals a year, hell i don't think it's 100.
the other point. this National Advancement Process has has 100% amateur racing compliance for a very long time, like maybe 10 years? So. No one is being "missed" because of non compliance by the AMA Amateur Race promoters and Clubs.

think about that for a second. ALL AMA MX results are being included. That was the hardest part of this program but has been consistently been done year in and year out. I realize a great many of the active posters here love to bash and blame AMA for much of this. Do you think for a second that Mx sports wants to handle this? or any other "promoter"???? Hell no, they get to be the knight in shining armor and the AMA gets to be stomped on, it's part of the process as well.

I don't get back here much, and actually forgot that I had posted what i did. Jrminquad pm me that spreadsheet. I would like to see it.

wardy

Wardy, it's obvious that you haven't been on a appeals board for awhile. You seem to care about the issue, therefore you couldn't have been on recent boards. As late as last year, at least on the offroad side, reclassifications were getting rubber stamped, with former B class champions running A for a few races, then dropping back down to B without appealing. When protests were filed, these riders appealed their classifications, and were allowed to remain in B. One was reviewed after the AMA hired the new offroad director, and he got moved back to A.
wardy
6/15/2017 9:09pm
wardy wrote:
The appeal process isn't real hard. It's AmA Congress delegates who review results, appeal letters, and question local racing districts, or if those are not available...

wardy

Wardy, it's obvious that you haven't been on a appeals board for awhile. You seem to care about the issue, therefore you couldn't have been on...
Wardy, it's obvious that you haven't been on a appeals board for awhile. You seem to care about the issue, therefore you couldn't have been on recent boards. As late as last year, at least on the offroad side, reclassifications were getting rubber stamped, with former B class champions running A for a few races, then dropping back down to B without appealing. When protests were filed, these riders appealed their classifications, and were allowed to remain in B. One was reviewed after the AMA hired the new offroad director, and he got moved back to A.
Actually it's been 2 years since i have done appeals. Mainly because I was disgusted with some other things and simply said ya know i will take a little time off. (this was the same time we started working on our indoor facility and had absolutely no spare time).

The new off road guy, he is pretty aggressive and it doesn't surprise me. I do believe that there had been 1 maybe even 2 mx guys re-looked at. I know for a fact a few are right now.

I get frustrated with many "main guys" in here as they bash AMA for just about everything. There are a ton of volunteers like myself that have spent not years but decades trying to make our sport of racing and riding a good one.

There has been many gafs along the way, and some i have been very vocal about. I get a kick how some people attain "god like" status and much of the reason for it is because the "hard stuff" is being done by AmA while others just sit back and point "handle it".

anyway. The system isn't perfect by any means, and it can be scammed. Much less and much harder to do the tap dance around it then in the past.

little history lesson. in 1993-94 Roger Ansil explained to me how to make a "rider performance advancement" process. We here in d17 instituted somewhere around that time. By 1999-2000 AMA was full on working with many districts but mainly the ones from the midwest like 14, 16, 17 etc. We got it passed like in 03?04? but found the biggest problem was getting results. Enter in Kip Bigelow who busted all of our butts and got particiapation to 70% then 90% and now the 100% results submitted for many years.

Just that feat alone was huge. But you listen to these "grand stand dudes" in here it all sucks and has no value etc etc etc.

All i can say is many of the people who I personally met working on this issue spent hundreds of hours on it and it does work. 30-40 thousand riders (guessing not sure on that number) and a shit load of events, and AMA has recorded and process 100% of all the results for 5-8 years in a row. So maybe because of all that I am biased.

lastly.

With riding camps, and full time coaches, and all the other stuff going on today, how quickly can a rider improve? How are those riders compared to the ones from 20 years ago who raced, and tried to make it? that kind of thing is a huge different atmosphere.

6/15/2017 10:38pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2017 11:04pm
At the Ironman regional the winner of both the 250C and 250C Ltd classes was won by a rider who appealed his B class promotion to the AMA because, according to the AMA rules, he was a non-competitive rider in C class and should be allowed to remain in C, yet he sweeps two classes in the regional and would have had a third if not for a wreck.

First it is not that a rider is non competitive in the lower class, it is that he is non competitive in the higher class.

So, lets look at this riders C class results vs. your son's results from 2016 (the year in which he was advanced).

Adam Johnson raced 250C 7 times in 2016 and had an RPV of 15.42 (108 points/7 races) meaning he scored an average of 15.42 points per race. He had one race with a big gate where he scored 35 points. Since the sample size of 7 races is pretty small, this one race moved him from a 12.16 to a 15.42. Adam also had no races for the 7 months between March 11th to October 16th due to injuries and other assorted issues. Those were the things that were taken into account in his appeal.

So lets look at TR:

TR scored 90 points on 5 races which would have been an RPV of 18 if he would have had the required 6 races. So had TR raced one more time in 2016, even finishing last he would have had a 15 RPV and would have been advanced to B. Had you filed an appeal, the committee would have looked at the limited number of races he had, and the one race where he scored 35 points, which skewed his average, and probably given him the benefit of the doubt.

So Adam Johnson and your son were basically the same rider in 2016 with your son actually having better average finishes, but Adam having 2 more races. I don't know either of the kids, but if I had to guess, the difference from 2016 to 2017 is geographical. He lives in Florida and rode all winter, and you live in Ohio where you lose 4 months every year.

The advancement appeal committees are certainly not perfect but they also don't just take the money and rubber stamp each appeal. The following steps are taken with each rider:

1. Complete review of the riders results history in AMA and non AMA competition when available. Not just the results, but the level of competition at the races. Evidence of sandbagging (tanking races at the end of the year) is looked for and if found usually leads to an immediate denial.

2. Discussion with the local district officials on each rider appealing. Many times this is the best place to get info on the rider and how the local district will be affected if his/her appeal is approved.

3. Discussion with the rider and / or the riders parents. What caused the gaps in racing results. What injuries did the rider have? What personal issues did the rider or family go through?

4. Calling any references, though not a lot of weight is typically given to these. What rider in their right mind is going to provide a reference that isn't firmly on their side.

A committee of three decides each appeal and one of the committee members is responsible for the 4 steps above for each rider.

Not perfect, but a lot more goes into it than you think.
wardy
6/16/2017 11:32am
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ thank you mike.

Erek_Kudla
6/16/2017 12:25pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2017 12:36pm
Wardy, it's obvious that you haven't been on a appeals board for awhile. You seem to care about the issue, therefore you couldn't have been on...
I do what I can Wink Can't fix the past but I am doing my damnedest to right the future. You know as well as anyone, send me their results in the higher class and they're out. ( in OFF-ROAD, not MX... different department)

Thanks for quoting the "A is A, B is B, C is C" article for this thread to get started, granted it was written specifically about Off-Road as MX doesn't have an AA class...

Here's the link for those that haven't read it - http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Home/News-Story/a-is-a-b-is-b-c-is-c

It doesn't talk about the appeal process as it was specifically about riding in the same class Nationally as you do Locally (for Off-Road), but it sounds like I should start another "Appeal Specific" one...
harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
6/16/2017 7:14pm
Erek_Kudla wrote:
I do what I can ;) Can't fix the past but I am doing my damnedest to right the future. You know as well as anyone...
I do what I can Wink Can't fix the past but I am doing my damnedest to right the future. You know as well as anyone, send me their results in the higher class and they're out. ( in OFF-ROAD, not MX... different department)

Thanks for quoting the "A is A, B is B, C is C" article for this thread to get started, granted it was written specifically about Off-Road as MX doesn't have an AA class...

Here's the link for those that haven't read it - http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Home/News-Story/a-is-a-b-is-b-c-is-c

It doesn't talk about the appeal process as it was specifically about riding in the same class Nationally as you do Locally (for Off-Road), but it sounds like I should start another "Appeal Specific" one...
Thanks for chiming in Mr. Offroad Director guy! Lol...you know I don't have a problem with the system itself, I simply think the classification appeal process should be tightened up, as in documenting what information sources were used in rendering judgement, ensuring that the people rendering judgement are accountable, etc....just some tweaks. I believe the basic process is sound. That and people need to do some research and file the correct paperwork in those instances instead of simply whining about it. You would know exactly why I feel that way too...
mx617
6/16/2017 9:50pm
The US system sounds kind of weird to me. Up here we get advancement points if you finish in the top 4. 1st = 4 and so on. And there's a minimum gate size to earn any points at all. You need more advancement points to move up from intermediate to pro than from junior to intermediate. Last time I looked was 36 for int to pro. So you'd need to win 9 races to bump up.

Seems simpler to understand, and if you really want that championship finish you can't sandbag.
wardy
6/16/2017 10:43pm
mx617 wrote:
The US system sounds kind of weird to me. Up here we get advancement points if you finish in the top 4. 1st = 4 and...
The US system sounds kind of weird to me. Up here we get advancement points if you finish in the top 4. 1st = 4 and so on. And there's a minimum gate size to earn any points at all. You need more advancement points to move up from intermediate to pro than from junior to intermediate. Last time I looked was 36 for int to pro. So you'd need to win 9 races to bump up.

Seems simpler to understand, and if you really want that championship finish you can't sandbag.
pretty much the same thing.

there is apoints chart in the rule book and it's based on rider counts.

the more riders, the bigger the points awarded. It's always been that way.

In your set up, you win 8 then "practice" the rest of the year or ride a different class to avoid being moved.

but anyway our system is similar.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/DesktopModules/EasyDNNNews/Document…
page 11.
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
6/16/2017 11:17pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2017 11:29pm
wardy wrote:
sounds like you know exactly what they do, how much work they do and how they operate. I sure wish guys would be way more informed...
sounds like you know exactly what they do, how much work they do and how they operate.

I sure wish guys would be way more informed on how the amateur side of AMA works.

Dave from D16 was instrumental in getting the advancement process ready to implement. I know since i worked with him on it.

A class numbers are what they are because of two things.

1. local racing can't pay those guys enough to take the risks they have to take.
2. they are at time in their personal lives where daddy isn't paying anymore, they have to become self sufficient adults and can't afford the sport and be solvent.

The problems today are not "17" riders but maybe 2-3 or three that make the whole process look bad it happens to often.

There is a rule in place that riders that appeal "back" in classification can be "re looked at". I do believe there are some riders being "re-evaluated" as we discuss this stuff on here. Watch how big of brew ha ha hits this place if a rider gets moved BAck to B. Then once again AMA will suck.

AMA will never come on post boards and air the laundry, promoters, riders, etc will, AMA will not. So it's easy to bag on those people who have dedicate themselves to the sport.

My opinion I always looked at how it affects to sport first, then the individual. Maybe not the correct thinking, but it has to be fair. and that word can be a bitch.

You make a lot of sense. Good to get insights from those involved.
mx617
6/16/2017 11:38pm
mx617 wrote:
The US system sounds kind of weird to me. Up here we get advancement points if you finish in the top 4. 1st = 4 and...

wardy wrote:
pretty much the same thing. there is apoints chart in the rule book and it's based on rider counts. the more riders, the bigger the points...
pretty much the same thing.

there is apoints chart in the rule book and it's based on rider counts.

the more riders, the bigger the points awarded. It's always been that way.

In your set up, you win 8 then "practice" the rest of the year or ride a different class to avoid being moved.

but anyway our system is similar.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/DesktopModules/EasyDNNNews/Document…
page 11.
ah ok, I thought it was just based on points earned per moto which would really throw it out for small classes.
8tensolutions
6/17/2017 6:50am
For those complaining about any of this with regards to Loretta Lynn's.....that is a National Championship meaning the best riders in the country competing for a national title. They already separated vet classes where ex pros can only race certain age groups, modified the classes dozens of times, and have it packed full of races Tuesday-Saturday. You have to qualify through an Area and then a Regional, meaning not everyone gets to go. Little Jimmy who wins the C Class at Chicken Licks raceway doesn't necessarily have what it takes to make the national championships. LL is NOT $$ driven....yes, its expensive to go, but it is a real National Championship. If it was all about the $, they could open it up to two weeks or more and make a class for little Jimmy so he could "feel good" about a National Championship. Look at Cheerleading and what Orlando has done with that. Anyone can go to a National Championship and they literally have them all year long. Its a joke. If you or your kid is not fast enough to compete at that level, stop complaining about those that are and work harder, train more, twist the throttle more etc. As for the one off "sandbaggers", protest them at the event if its that hard for you to swallow getting beat.
Dirt222
6/17/2017 3:13pm
It is time to get back to racing. LLs runs a week and then you get no practice, only a site in lap. Now you show up at a local race and expect them to support the LL class structure. The promoter says OK because one rider now can ride multiple classes. I have been to local shows with over 40 classes in one day. Now you get as many as 5 classes on the start line at once and you run 5 laps on a 1 min 20 sec track. Less than 7 min motos. I have been to LLs 7 times, I loved every trip. At some point we have to ask is the big show killing local racing. Look at each class, D class is full, the C class has fewer riders. The B class has even fewer and you are lucky to get a couple of A riders. The big show has killed that want to be a A rider. I would stop worrying about C class riders not advancing and start worrying about the overall health of the sport of MX from supercross down to the local level.
bsharkey
6/17/2017 3:22pm
Most of the time the C-Class is the class for guys who will probably only go to Loretta's one time that's just how it is because in all honesty if you're fast on a mini 65/85 and you've been to Loretta's on Minis you can't ride the C-Class on big bikes. To make it to Loretta's in the b class you have to be pretty dang fast honestly even the guys at the back of the pack.
mx_563
6/17/2017 7:44pm
Note: Sorry but this turned into a bit of a rant...

My feeling is that it's not worth losing sleep over. Dont sweat Lorettas. I'm sure other sports are not without their vices but amateur MX is pretty ridiculous. With the ever rising costs, the injuries, cheating, broken contracts, broken families, poor officiating, a poor transition from mini bikes to big bikes, and the staggeringly low success rate, it just doesn't add up. Don't sweat Lorettas. When I hear about the drama and people taking out mortgages to fund "the dream" only to get burned...that's just Darwinism to me. That's the small fish that didn't have sense enough to know better getting eaten up by the big fish. Don't sweat Loretta's. Ride/race locally for fun. Use the Lorettas money for juniors college fund and make sure he goes! Don't sweat Lorettas. MX innocence is lost. Pick-up truck days are over. Chicken Licks raceway is gone. Been replaced by mtf, gpf, clubmx, sob, etc. Elementary school kids have trainers and some are doing backflips. You gotta look at the big picture and draw some conclusions. Don't sweat Lorettas. Especially the c-class.
Indy mxer
6/18/2017 7:30am
mx_563 wrote:
Note: Sorry but this turned into a bit of a rant... My feeling is that it's not worth losing sleep over. Dont sweat Lorettas. I'm sure...
Note: Sorry but this turned into a bit of a rant...

My feeling is that it's not worth losing sleep over. Dont sweat Lorettas. I'm sure other sports are not without their vices but amateur MX is pretty ridiculous. With the ever rising costs, the injuries, cheating, broken contracts, broken families, poor officiating, a poor transition from mini bikes to big bikes, and the staggeringly low success rate, it just doesn't add up. Don't sweat Lorettas. When I hear about the drama and people taking out mortgages to fund "the dream" only to get burned...that's just Darwinism to me. That's the small fish that didn't have sense enough to know better getting eaten up by the big fish. Don't sweat Loretta's. Ride/race locally for fun. Use the Lorettas money for juniors college fund and make sure he goes! Don't sweat Lorettas. MX innocence is lost. Pick-up truck days are over. Chicken Licks raceway is gone. Been replaced by mtf, gpf, clubmx, sob, etc. Elementary school kids have trainers and some are doing backflips. You gotta look at the big picture and draw some conclusions. Don't sweat Lorettas. Especially the c-class.
Very well said. I see too many kids that it's obvious aren't going to make it going all in. Home schooling (usually a joke)
and big dreams. 95% of the time it doesn't work out. Like you said, ride for fun and plan for college!
wardy
6/18/2017 8:29pm
^^^^^^ dirt222.

been saying that for a long time. but hell no one listens to old people so it's all good.

Post a reply to: An Informal Look at AMA C Class (updated page 3)

The Latest