American in MXGP

RG1
10/4/2021 12:42pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2021 12:42pm
RG1 wrote:
It’s a huge adaptation to make both on and off the track. It’s very difficult to make that move and be successful, and its a pretty...
It’s a huge adaptation to make both on and off the track. It’s very difficult to make that move and be successful, and its a pretty big risk, because its kind of out of sight, out of mind for all the teams in the US if it doesn’t pan out. We’ve seen a few guys come over recently, Covington, Sanayei, Harrison, Charbonneau. Covington had some success but in general it hasn’t really worked out
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Covington is a head scratcher. He showed blazing speed at times in MX2 and while it's doubtful he would have seriously contended for a title in...
Covington is a head scratcher. He showed blazing speed at times in MX2 and while it's doubtful he would have seriously contended for a title in MXGP he certainly should have made a better showing than he did had he not left to try SX . Or maybe getting married affected him . Whatever the case he wasn't the same rider.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a rapid and strange decline in speed and form, it was very odd. Like you say he wasn’t someone who you ever thought would be MXGP champion, but based off of his MX2 career and who he was racing at the time you would think he would’ve been a consistent top 10 guy in MXGP. He just wasn’t fast anymore when he came back, the struggles he had on his return to America clearly affected him badly, was a real shame to see him fade away like that
10/4/2021 1:28pm
Brent wrote:
There is no money for the riders in MXGP. The only racers making anything past covering their expenses are about 11 guys on factory backed teams...
There is no money for the riders in MXGP.

The only racers making anything past covering their expenses are about 11 guys on factory backed teams, the rest are hobbyists looking to become one of the 11 guys making money.

Thank Mr. Loungo for that.

One other thing I found interesting is that the AMA and MX Sports officials at the very highest level went out of their way to find My Dutch racer in the pits at the nationals, and stop by to say "hi" and see if there was anything we needed.

My guy was shocked and surprised that so many officials came to check on us, he told me in MXGP if you are not one of the top 3 they tell you to basically go fuck yourself if you needed anything.

So the differences between how InFront runs the races as opposed to the AMA/MX Sports (who paid out prize money IN CASH), is a little different too.
So across both world championship classes, there are about 30 rich dudes with an expensive hobby?
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
10/4/2021 2:04pm
Unless you are on a top team you most likely will get more promises than pay
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4109th
10/4/2021 2:04pm
The low pay thing is a myth. A top GP giy makes as much as any top rider here. At one time, Herlings was making more than Dungey.

The Shop

Racer142
10/4/2021 2:16pm
The truth is that it's just not an American riders goal. They mostly want to race sx and not just mx like the gps. Most don't care about the mxgp title and if they aren't top contenders over here where are they going to find the funding to go overseas and race? So what's the incentive to go race faster riders in a series that does not help them get where they want to be (which is an sx rider)?
10/4/2021 3:33pm
UpTiTe wrote:
The low pay thing is a myth. A top GP giy makes as much as any top rider here. At one time, Herlings was making more...
The low pay thing is a myth. A top GP giy makes as much as any top rider here. At one time, Herlings was making more than Dungey.
He runs Lamboginis!!

Herlings would be one of the top earners in World MX!
Bineano
10/4/2021 3:54pm
My guess would be a Top 20 MXGP rider would be swimming in as much cash as a Top 20 AMA rider.
At any rate, very interested to see how Dylan Wright fairs in the last few Rounds 😜
Bring Home the €€, Dylan!!
FlaNard
10/4/2021 4:19pm
It’s been said but I’m guessing Supercross being huge here is the biggest factor.
Brent
10/4/2021 4:28pm Edited Date/Time 10/4/2021 5:06pm
EnvyMedia wrote:
So across both world championship classes, there are about 30 rich dudes with an expensive hobby?
I have been lucky enough to talk to a couple of these riders lately who have reached out to me, one who is a MXGP 450 guy.

( I bring one guy over here to race the nationals and people think I’m going to do it again for some reason😕)

they tell me because KTM is reducing its motocross racing budget in favor of motoGP, there is not what there used to be money wise.

not only that, some guys are paying the team to ride in some cases, Because they get gear and outside sponsor money.

It could be all bullshit, but the sources are definitely legit and they say the same thing.

I told them all straight up that supercross is the money maker here, and if you can’t or won’t learn how to ride it no one here will look at you as employable.

No I’m not going to say who they are.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
156th
10/4/2021 4:57pm
Brent wrote:
I have been lucky enough to talk to a couple of these riders lately who have reached out to me, one who is a MXGP 450...
I have been lucky enough to talk to a couple of these riders lately who have reached out to me, one who is a MXGP 450 guy.

( I bring one guy over here to race the nationals and people think I’m going to do it again for some reason😕)

they tell me because KTM is reducing its motocross racing budget in favor of motoGP, there is not what there used to be money wise.

not only that, some guys are paying the team to ride in some cases, Because they get gear and outside sponsor money.

It could be all bullshit, but the sources are definitely legit and they say the same thing.

I told them all straight up that supercross is the money maker here, and if you can’t or won’t learn how to ride it no one here will look at you as employable.

Do you have a bike for AC222? He expressed interest to do some nationals next year after retiring from MXGP.
He even sent a spy over there this year, his best buddy Lupino
Mavetism
10/4/2021 5:17pm
UpTiTe wrote:
The low pay thing is a myth. A top GP giy makes as much as any top rider here. At one time, Herlings was making more...
Possible. In 2016, shortly after Herlings contract renewal, Pit Beirer said in an interview: “He is in a range where he is with Ryan Dungey and Tony Cairoli and that is how it should be.”
He wasn't even on a 450 at that time. And after looking at his wins in 2018 I wouldn't be surprised when he was the highest paid rider in the last years.

But nonetheless, when we talk about MXGP vs AMA low pay, this is mainly about privateers and the fact is that privateers in europe basically make zero money. I don't even understand how some of them still have the ability to grind for so many years.
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4382nd
10/5/2021 4:30am
Brent wrote:
I have been lucky enough to talk to a couple of these riders lately who have reached out to me, one who is a MXGP 450...

crusty_xx wrote:
Do you have a bike for AC222? He expressed interest to do some nationals next year after retiring from MXGP. He even sent a spy over...
Do you have a bike for AC222? He expressed interest to do some nationals next year after retiring from MXGP.
He even sent a spy over there this year, his best buddy Lupino
I guess in that case KTM USA might lend Brent a race engine for a weekend. 9 world titles under the awning should be good leverage. Laughing
Cortami79
10/5/2021 4:59am
As Brent said. Only a few factory riders make good money. Most EMX250 riders make zero. Guys like Herlings, Gajser, Prado, Febvre, Coldenhoff, Seewer, Jonass, Cairoli, van Horebeek, Olsen have a decent salary. But it probably declines alot from top5-10. Top 15-25 range isn’t that good. Mx2 only the (semi) factory teams as well. Guys like Monticelli have major sponsors that will help getting in a team. That’s what most people in the industry have told me, if anything i’ve said isn’t the case then please tell me. For me, those guys all deserve to earn a very decent living with these speeds.
byke
10/5/2021 8:35am
SCC wrote:
Americans believe the usa is the best country, most pay, best food, easiest life, hottest women etc. It’s not the 1970’s anymore. Every country offers freedom...
Americans believe the usa is the best country, most pay, best food, easiest life, hottest women etc. It’s not the 1970’s anymore. Every country offers freedom of choice and travel. Far more healthy food than the usa food supply. Non Instagram sluts. Real natural mx tracks. The mxgp series has been more competitive than the us nationals this year and more entertaining to watch. As much as I love the us nationals I would prefer 1 world SX series and 1 world MX series.
I love the downvote ratio on this one. You're 100% right, but ooooohhhhhh it makes me mad, downvote!!! Lol.
10/5/2021 10:13am
Cortami79 wrote:
As Brent said. Only a few factory riders make [u]good[/u] money. Most EMX250 riders make zero. Guys like Herlings, Gajser, Prado, Febvre, Coldenhoff, Seewer, Jonass, Cairoli...
As Brent said. Only a few factory riders make good money. Most EMX250 riders make zero. Guys like Herlings, Gajser, Prado, Febvre, Coldenhoff, Seewer, Jonass, Cairoli, van Horebeek, Olsen have a decent salary. But it probably declines alot from top5-10. Top 15-25 range isn’t that good. Mx2 only the (semi) factory teams as well. Guys like Monticelli have major sponsors that will help getting in a team. That’s what most people in the industry have told me, if anything i’ve said isn’t the case then please tell me. For me, those guys all deserve to earn a very decent living with these speeds.
It's a rich man's sport, all the guys in gp have a huge budget, in EMX if you win the title you get 0 dollars and you have to pay to join a team to ride in mx2 the following year. Sad...
Brent
10/5/2021 11:03am
It's a rich man's sport, all the guys in gp have a huge budget, in EMX if you win the title you get 0 dollars and...
It's a rich man's sport, all the guys in gp have a huge budget, in EMX if you win the title you get 0 dollars and you have to pay to join a team to ride in mx2 the following year. Sad...
… because there is a fat Italian vacuum cleaner that sucks up all the money in MXGP for himself.

Giuseppe, what happens when the circus performers won’t perform for free anymore? What will you do?
DL
10/5/2021 11:38am
Going back a few years to 2012 when Michael Leib filled in for Osborne on the DRT Yamaha he got second at Fermo in Italy. Michael had already spent two years racing MX2 and after the second year on the factory Husqvarna, BMW owned team, he came home but had a chance the following year in 2012 to fill in for Osborne. There was lots of politics and I think the hardest part is living in foreign countries and adapting to the languages, food culture etc. I completely understand why we don't see more US riders over there. Here are a couple photos.

Graybeard
Fantasy
2206th
10/5/2021 11:56am
If you want to better understand why Americans aren't jumping across the pond, listed to 1)The Whiskey Throttle Show with the Lawrence family, and 2)The Max Anstie Pulp MX Show Interview in the show after Washougal. Both of these will open your eyes to what those three guys are / were facing to race over there. Brutal.

Will there be an American race MXGP in the future? Probably. If a team decides to sponsor someone like an Osbourne, who was a top amateur talent here but for some reason lost his ride after a couple years, and that guy is willing to put in the work like Zacho did, it can / will happen.

But I can't see anyone from the US paying for their ride over there in MXGP when they could do the same thing here and actually bring home paychecks from race results to augment their own sponsor deals.
Looby321
10/5/2021 2:06pm
Cortami79 wrote:
As Brent said. Only a few factory riders make [u]good[/u] money. Most EMX250 riders make zero. Guys like Herlings, Gajser, Prado, Febvre, Coldenhoff, Seewer, Jonass, Cairoli...
It's a rich man's sport, all the guys in gp have a huge budget, in EMX if you win the title you get 0 dollars and...
Yep, it’s the same way with hockey now. Both used to be blue collar sports and now both are crazy expensive to do legit.

Post a reply to: American in MXGP

The Latest