American MX - Tracks

Crush
Edited Date/Time 10/4/2013 12:11pm
So the MXDN has been run on two tracks in a row now with track conditions far outside the scope of what any MX promoter in America is trying to produce...

What say you?

Do you need a race at Coco beach and Carlsbad?

I think the track prep argument goes out the window, track was perfect all weekend and looked like what MX was when I was a kid. Didn't look fun, but looked difficult. Like a pro race should be.

Eli was the only one who looked like he wasn't fighting his bike all weekend.
|
fanger
9/29/2013 5:36pm
the track didn't have enough wood chips on it.....
Crush
9/29/2013 5:43pm
Exactly what I mean.

I thought it was prepped perfectly and it got rough, wasn't really worked on at all and honestly I think Dungey and Barcia's bikes looked pretty rough all day...

Not saying it is the bikes, but between the bike or them or the track they looked really uncomfortable. Dungey never pushed it seems, just had no spark.

Riding tracks like that, or like last year would be pretty difficult coming from SX and then for the most part sandy or loamy perfection every other weekend.
alien
9/29/2013 6:55pm
It looked like once again the track defeated our riders. This track wasn't a one off sand track that only a few can master ,
it was a super rough version of our tracks in the USA. If we care about this event and would like to win in the future the promoters of our outdoor series need to take note and stop over grooming their tracks.
Mike Brown related in an interview how when he first went to Europe to race the GP's he took his outdoor suspension from procircuit that he used the previous season in the USA and it was much too stiff and the rebound was too slow for the tracks he raced over there. The GP racers bike were dialed for those conditions after a full season but our guys only had a few days to get their bikes close.
Grizz
9/29/2013 7:42pm
I don't think the track had anything to do with it. I don't think anyone's trying to say it dude either.

The Shop

Crush
9/29/2013 7:53pm
Grizz wrote:
I don't think the track had anything to do with it. I don't think anyone's trying to say it dude either.
To do with what? Did you read what I wrote?

Clearly Dungey and Barcia looked uncomfortable all weekend. And Barcia DID say that the track was outside what they ride normally. VurbMx

The question is about whether the US tracks are too similar, too prepped, too loamy. The last two MXDNs have had track conditions outside the scope of American MX tracks and the US riders have struggled to adapt.
Motodave15
9/29/2013 7:54pm
I agree with the track statement. Also i thing scrubbing that big ass jump was a bad idea, The one that chadapulted tomac and almost caused barcia to crash. I didn't remember seeing the euro's trying to do that... But i could be wrong.. Too many beers this afternoon.
Crush
9/29/2013 8:06pm
Motodave15 wrote:
I agree with the track statement. Also i thing scrubbing that big ass jump was a bad idea, The one that chadapulted tomac and almost caused...
I agree with the track statement. Also i thing scrubbing that big ass jump was a bad idea, The one that chadapulted tomac and almost caused barcia to crash. I didn't remember seeing the euro's trying to do that... But i could be wrong.. Too many beers this afternoon.
I'm stinging for a beer! Send me one!!!

It is Monday 1pm tho.... Hmmm
jeffro503
9/29/2013 8:09pm
Crush is bringing up something that's been on my mind for the past few years. Our tracks ( the majority of them ) are overly groomed , water and a riders dream to race on......that bad side of that is it makes our riders "pussified " and the rough GP tracks end up kicking the shit out of them.

Eli was simply hauling ass today. Barcia rode extremely well to with his 4th and come from damn near last to 11th I think. RD is the big question mark here. Not sure what his deal was today.....as that seems to be a big speculation in a lot of these threads here today.

Bottom line.....The GP riders are the real deal and have been for quite a few years. Team USA aint as dominant as they once were and to some people that just can't get that through their heads.

As a "Fan of the sport " ( not an American or a guy from across the pond ).....you have to commend guys like AC222 , big Ken , CD25 , Ferris and so on........they just plain haul ass.
BAMX
9/29/2013 8:21pm
fanger wrote:
the track didn't have enough wood chips on it.....
They didn't groom between motos either.
dantheman
9/29/2013 8:42pm Edited Date/Time 9/29/2013 8:44pm
If Eli didn't "chadapult" and finished either right behind KROC or better, OR... if RV went and finished his typical better than Dungey finish and the USA won, is this even a discussion???

Eli and KROC, both full time AMA riders, had zero problems with the track. Other than the ill fated scrub which can happen "anywhere, planet Earth" Wink

I see it this way, Eli was beast mode as usual, Justin finished about where he should have, given circumstances and more competition at his level. And Dungey, well... he rode mediocre. RD was the only one not affected by "bad luck", had good starts and yet, he went backwards.

Simple as that, confirmed by Roger's interview in the other thread.
9/29/2013 8:44pm
R being destroyed by promoters trying to bring six outdoors. Leave the tracks more natural don't groom them and let men b men.
jeffro503
9/29/2013 8:52pm
dantheman wrote:
If Eli didn't "chadapult" and finished either right behind KROC or better, OR... if RV went and finished his typical better than Dungey finish and the...
If Eli didn't "chadapult" and finished either right behind KROC or better, OR... if RV went and finished his typical better than Dungey finish and the USA won, is this even a discussion???

Eli and KROC, both full time AMA riders, had zero problems with the track. Other than the ill fated scrub which can happen "anywhere, planet Earth" Wink

I see it this way, Eli was beast mode as usual, Justin finished about where he should have, given circumstances and more competition at his level. And Dungey, well... he rode mediocre. RD was the only one not affected by "bad luck", had good starts and yet, he went backwards.

I totally agree with what you said Dan. But Crush has a good point...."most" of the American tracks get overly groomed and so forth. We need some different surface type tracks here. Hard packed blue groove , extremely deep sand and stuff like that. A lot of our national tracks end up looking the same....as where the GP tracks seem to have a multiple types of terrain. As far as the GP tracks go....I'd admire some of the tracks those guys have. Beautiful , rough and makes for some great racing.
Brent
9/29/2013 8:57pm
Damn Id love to try a track that looked like that, but then again I loved Carlsbad too...
Crush
9/29/2013 8:59pm
dantheman wrote:
If Eli didn't "chadapult" and finished either right behind KROC or better, OR... if RV went and finished his typical better than Dungey finish and the...

Ya I agree that that it could have easily been different if Eli didn't flip or Barcia didn't crash in the start, but that's just luck... But what about the tracks??

My point, like Jeffro says is more to do with Barcia and Dungey looking uncomfortable on a track surface/condition that maybe isn't presented to them in their native series - And wether or not that is best for them and the MXDN etc.

Would your rather see some more variety in the USA mx tracks? Theoretically, Red Bud/Buds/Millville/Muddy Creek/Colorado/Hangtown are all really similar loam etc... Elsinore/Utah are just weird! Washougoul and maybe Unadilla or High Point are hardpacked but they still have loam/woodchips on it and get groomed... are they as rough?

Maybe lites bikes are easier to ride on rougher stuff? Maybe Ken woulda done on any home German track? Maybe Eli is just a beast as you say... Barcia said on the Vurb interview that he felt uncomfortable just as much as last year for different reasons, and we can probably assume Dungey wasn't comfortable because he is better than 6-7. No doubt.
dantheman
9/29/2013 9:00pm
jeffro, jeffro jeffrohhhh... man dude, you should appreciate what we HAVE!!!

Supercross styled lake bed, wood chipped and moon dust buddy, the future of American MX, woohooo!

Hehehe
Crush
9/29/2013 9:04pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I totally agree with what you said Dan. But Crush has a good point...."most" of the American tracks get overly groomed and so forth. We need...
I totally agree with what you said Dan. But Crush has a good point...."most" of the American tracks get overly groomed and so forth. We need some different surface type tracks here. Hard packed blue groove , extremely deep sand and stuff like that. A lot of our national tracks end up looking the same....as where the GP tracks seem to have a multiple types of terrain. As far as the GP tracks go....I'd admire some of the tracks those guys have. Beautiful , rough and makes for some great racing.
Pretty sure I read a interview with Glover, who runs the Dunlop track support, that almost all the US mx guys run the same tyre every week, except Southwick where they switch the rear... And not even all of them.

That's a pretty good indicator that the conditions are pretty similar at each event.
jeffro503
9/29/2013 9:06pm
And this could open up a whole other can O' worms........we got rid of Glen Helen and Southwick............for Elsinore and Utah.

In my mind.......if that isn't going backwards to what MX is all about..........then I have no idea what I'm even talking about.
jeffro503
9/29/2013 9:07pm
jeffro503 wrote:
I totally agree with what you said Dan. But Crush has a good point...."most" of the American tracks get overly groomed and so forth. We need...
Crush wrote:
Pretty sure I read a interview with Glover, who runs the Dunlop track support, that almost all the US mx guys run the same tyre every...
Pretty sure I read a interview with Glover, who runs the Dunlop track support, that almost all the US mx guys run the same tyre every week, except Southwick where they switch the rear... And not even all of them.

That's a pretty good indicator that the conditions are pretty similar at each event.
Totally get what you're saying mate.......and totally agree!
pilotdude
9/29/2013 9:09pm
jeffro503 wrote:
And this could open up a whole other can O' worms........we got rid of Glen Helen and Southwick............for Elsinore and Utah. In my mind.......if that isn't...
And this could open up a whole other can O' worms........we got rid of Glen Helen and Southwick............for Elsinore and Utah.

In my mind.......if that isn't going backwards to what MX is all about..........then I have no idea what I'm even talking about.
Ok Jeffro then how do you explain the fact that the race today was held on a track in Germany that WASN'T used for the German GP this year? The German GP was held on a shitty Daytona rip-off in a car racing facility.
jeffro503
9/29/2013 9:14pm
jeffro503 wrote:
And this could open up a whole other can O' worms........we got rid of Glen Helen and Southwick............for Elsinore and Utah. In my mind.......if that isn't...

pilotdude wrote:
Ok Jeffro then how do you explain the fact that the race today was held on a track in Germany that WASN'T used for the German...
Ok Jeffro then how do you explain the fact that the race today was held on a track in Germany that WASN'T used for the German GP this year? The German GP was held on a shitty Daytona rip-off in a car racing facility.
I can't really explain it. Except for the fact that it looked about 10X better than our Utah and LK Elsinore tracks. Not just the way the dirt looked....but the overall feel of the track seemed 10X better.

A lot of their tracks overt there don't look like that either. And what this thread is about is how the AMA tracks look all so similar compared to what the GP guys get to race on. Gotta admit....they have some beautiful and challenging tracks over there.
dantheman
9/29/2013 9:30pm
Crush, well of course I'd like to see more variety in tracks stateside Wink Glen Helen is EPIC and the old Southwick "sand" was preferable to not only Southwick now(2013), but NO Southwick at all Sad

But remember, Barcia feeling uncomfortable is not that hard to believe, he's not "proven" outdoors. No 250 title and not even a single 450 moto win all season. He's at a brand new track, regardless of track conditions, and he had a lot of competition today.

I still think this hinges on Dungey's performance, or lack thereof. His lack of "quick strike" aggression, both when passing and simply at the beginning of a race is more telling of the results than the track itself.

I do believe last year was most definitely a Team out of their element though Wink So I "kind of" agree with you Wink
bd
9/29/2013 10:17pm
I agree with this thread..... moto is supposed to be natural and challenging. The constant placement of top soil, grooming has changed moto in the US. RC stated the nationals would become a freeway when they started grooming. The worst to happen to Nationals: tracks like SLC MX and Lake Elsinore MX.

If the track is in S CA, leave 75% of the dirt natural. Hard pack, sand, loam, top soil.... all all natural dirts need to be at the rounds.

The MXDN is by far my favorite race.
bd
9/29/2013 10:18pm
jeffro503 wrote:

pilotdude wrote:
Ok Jeffro then how do you explain the fact that the race today was held on a track in Germany that WASN'T used for the German...
jeffro503 wrote:
I can't really explain it. Except for the fact that it looked about 10X better than our Utah and LK Elsinore tracks. Not just the way...
I can't really explain it. Except for the fact that it looked about 10X better than our Utah and LK Elsinore tracks. Not just the way the dirt looked....but the overall feel of the track seemed 10X better.

A lot of their tracks overt there don't look like that either. And what this thread is about is how the AMA tracks look all so similar compared to what the GP guys get to race on. Gotta admit....they have some beautiful and challenging tracks over there.
At a minimum, 10x
9/29/2013 10:30pm
R being destroyed by promoters trying to bring six outdoors. Leave the tracks more natural don't groom them and let men b men.
Yea look at unadilla. Looks nothing like it did back in the day. There were rollers, kickers, holes, bumps everywhere back then.

This year .....high speed Supercross/motocross hybrid nowhere near as rough as it used to be.

Heck maybe we are lucky cairoli and herligs stay over the pond. They might light the world on fire with smoother groomed tracks.
fanger
9/29/2013 11:41pm
watching the ama nationals this year, in the highlight reels i couldnt tell which tracks were what. the tracks are loosing their identities, they are all becoming the same thing, up hill triples and wood chips and rollers.

another thought, maybe more variety in the tracks will bring the riders closer together, if villopoto couldnt run the same set up all year, would it slow him down?
Crush
9/29/2013 11:57pm
fanger wrote:
watching the ama nationals this year, in the highlight reels i couldnt tell which tracks were what. the tracks are loosing their identities, they are all...
watching the ama nationals this year, in the highlight reels i couldnt tell which tracks were what. the tracks are loosing their identities, they are all becoming the same thing, up hill triples and wood chips and rollers.

another thought, maybe more variety in the tracks will bring the riders closer together, if villopoto couldnt run the same set up all year, would it slow him down?
Good question!
mxmasta
Fantasy
814th
9/30/2013 1:24am
jeffro503 wrote:

pilotdude wrote:
They didn't have the GP in Teutschenthal this year because they had the MXoN there.
Next year the GP of Germany will be back at Teutschenthal.
9/30/2013 1:28am Edited Date/Time 9/30/2013 1:32am
Grizz wrote:
http://www.pulpmx.com/sites/default/files/audio/2013-mxdn-barcia.mp3

Listen to what Barcia has to say, for him the track has everything to do with it. It was gnarly as fuck.
This MXdN proved again that conditions between the GP's and AMA are very different. Send Gp riders to the nationals and they wil get eaten by the conditions aswell. (heat, humidity, elevations and different man made obstacles for example)
Huckster
9/30/2013 4:25am Edited Date/Time 9/30/2013 4:28am
Not for nothing but all you "Barcia looked uncomfortable" guys, you do realize he WON MX3 O/A correct? He went 4/11 with the 11th coming from basically dead last. In his first moto, he lost to Ken and Eli and NO ONE was catching them. DeSalles ran him down and passed him as well but still finished 4th. If our other two riders won their respective classes, we would be having very different conversations. At least Justin held up his end of the bargin......Just think what he could do if he was "comfortable."

On TV that track looked nasty, one lined, man made and short. 1.44sec lap times. I think they could do better.......

Post a reply to: American MX - Tracks

The Latest