Should America not race MXON?

robkinuk
6/19/2019 5:21am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2019 5:22am
Didn't hear any complaints about the scheduling of the MXDN all those years Team USA were on a winning streak?WinkShocked
DonM
6/19/2019 5:21am
Ramrod wrote:
I think the top reason there is any sentiment within the industry to NOT go is because there is like a month off after the US...
I think the top reason there is any sentiment within the industry to NOT go is because there is like a month off after the US nationals and guys want to relax (rightfully so) instead of keeping the training up for mxdn. And they would rather spend that time adjusting to new rides, or preparing for the Monster Cup.

The reason to not go about the cost is the cost is almost the same as any other country, no?
That's what i thought after listening to Pulp and to be fair to the riders they need to get ready for SX. I would love to...
That's what i thought after listening to Pulp and to be fair to the riders they need to get ready for SX. I would love to see them out racing but if they withdrew i get it , also it is maybe what they need to do to put pressure on the world mxgp to finish the week after or before the AMA MX is finished.
why did AMA put the MEC just after MXON is a better question ?
MXON has always been around at same date for decades
Not the AMA...They have nothing to do with it...I wish they would have the MEC closer to the beginning of SX but the industry will never let that happen...
early
Fantasy
2212th
6/19/2019 5:25am
DonM wrote:
Not the AMA...They have nothing to do with it...I wish they would have the MEC closer to the beginning of SX but the industry will never...
Not the AMA...They have nothing to do with it...I wish they would have the MEC closer to the beginning of SX but the industry will never let that happen...
Or just no MEC. The race has lost its luster.
6/19/2019 5:28am
That's what i thought after listening to Pulp and to be fair to the riders they need to get ready for SX. I would love to...
That's what i thought after listening to Pulp and to be fair to the riders they need to get ready for SX. I would love to see them out racing but if they withdrew i get it , also it is maybe what they need to do to put pressure on the world mxgp to finish the week after or before the AMA MX is finished.
why did AMA put the MEC just after MXON is a better question ?
MXON has always been around at same date for decades
DonM wrote:
Not the AMA...They have nothing to do with it...I wish they would have the MEC closer to the beginning of SX but the industry will never...
ah my bad , didnt know ..Wink
and agree , MEC should be a warm up race for A1 , and not a season ender race after outdoors ..makes no sense

The Shop

teamddr
6/19/2019 5:49am
speedman wrote:
Hypothetical: If they're healthy and still riding well at selection time, send the best team in the US, instead of the putative three best riders: Anderson...
Hypothetical: If they're healthy and still riding well at selection time, send the best team in the US, instead of the putative three best riders: Anderson, Osborne, and Mosiman on Husqvarna.

The pluses: They pit together instead of scattered around the paddock, after training together. Husqvarna has the most to gain in the US market with a win, and Husqvarna Europe might even be forthcoming with assistance on engine package and suspension advice, since this year it looks like not many Husky Euro contenders besides Olson. Osborne is deeply experienced in living and racing there, for more advice. Anderson has already shown what he can do; he and Osborne are both gonna fight forward the whole race no matter what. Mosiman is responding very well to career pressure this year, stands fifth among US 250 riders now; if he's competent in sand and has starts together by race day, that can be sufficient for the winning formula of recent years: two guys who can win or podium their class, and a third who exceeds expectations with maybe a top six in class?

Attrition in the Euro ranks means a genuine team could work this year, even if it doesn't include the US 250 champ. Main reason I would sub anyone for a healthy Cianciarulo is that his boss does not want to go. Another reason is that people would expect too much of him; he'd face more pressure than anyone else we can send on a 250.

We have a bunch of good riders--isn't a 250 GP winner currently eighth in the US standings? But our 250 guys usually have the talent, yet not the experience with varied tracks to do their best at the MXDN, and it seems like unless your 250 rider is a lock to medal the class, or outright, you might as well send anyone who will keep their head, execute, and scrap forward the whole race.

Sending Tomac, AC, and Osborne or Anderson or Webb is definitely appealing, of course.

But sending a strong enough single-brand team harks back to the first US win. Not sure such a US team can be mustered on another brand this year. Husky seems like the brand that would say, "Hold my beer" if the opportunity arose, and this year seems like a window of opportunity due to Euro attrition.

Do we focus on sending our three best guys, or our best team?

I may be way overestimating Mosiman, but I think maybe he could help the US sneak in there and steal one, with a little luck.
If someone like husky gave their riders full support with bikes and travel etc then anyone in the states should direct their hard earned coin towards purchasing their products instead of a non conforming (for MXON)) Kawasaki. To tell someone like ELi that he can’t go and represent his country because it doesn’t have have commercial returns is shameful. It’s two to three weeks tops and it bolsters there exposure on the world stage.
I really think the USA could come into this event and do really well. If Prado and herlings, Toni are healthy maybe not a overall but a team podium for sure.
Motohead279
6/19/2019 6:39am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2019 6:42am
They really need to do something about the schedule of this race. I don’t blame riders for not wanting to go. The AMA riders get no...
They really need to do something about the schedule of this race. I don’t blame riders for not wanting to go. The AMA riders get no time off from October when their new contracts start until the end of the nationals end of August. September is really the only month that riders can take a vacation, kind of eat what they want to eat ( remember all of these riders are on a very strict diets) and just get away from Racing and spend time with their family

Any rider who is picked to go now gives up any vacation they have and now has to continue to train and stay in race shape for an extra five more weeks. Then add on the extreme pressure of this race and that if team USA doesn’t win then we didn’t get 2nd or 3rd, but “USA Lost”. And as fans we shit on them when they don’t ride as we expect them to.

Then throw in the fact that the MEC is a week later, which instead of testing for they are focusing still on motocross .

The AMA and the FIM need to work better together to get this race at a better date. The MXON keeps moving later and later in the year and the nationals have ended a little earlier because our series take less breaks during the year.
date list from a few pages back . 2001- 30 September 2002- 21 October 2003- 5 October 2004- 3 October 2005- 25 September 2006- 24 September...
date list from a few pages back .

2001- 30 September
2002- 21 October
2003- 5 October
2004- 3 October
2005- 25 September
2006- 24 September
2007- 23 September
2008- 28 September
2009- 4 October
2010- 26 September
2011- 18 September
2012- 30 September
2013- 29 September
2014- 28 September
2015- 27 September
2016- 25 September
2017- 1 October
2018- 7 October
2019- 29 September

also wonder why did AMA put the MEC a week after MXON dates ??

as you see dates havent changed much at all , US schedule has changed and best option would be to move MEC later in year and make it a sx warm up race and not a season ending race like it is now ? i mean they just finished out doors , race MXON outdoors and have to setup bikes for SX for a single race ?
I forgot to add that part into my previous statement. I agree and I have been saying that all along. Move the MEC to December as a Supercross warm-up event. The timing of the MEC is horrible . Not only because of the MXON but also riders are just switching teams beginning of October.

what I remember hearing was that the race teams in America wanted less weekends off during the season so they could finish up sooner in the year. I believe the nationals used to wrap up first or second week of September.
motomike137
6/19/2019 6:44am
It's funny how the "industry" seems to see this race as an afterthought and we the "core" fans care about it more than any other race of the year.
Sideways
6/19/2019 7:43am
I think Kawasaki not going is really Eli not wanting to go.
If Eli really wanted to go they would.

Its just easier to "blame" the team and Eli doesnt get as much hate.
6/19/2019 7:51am
Why are we talking about Eli not going ? Did i miss a statement ? Because last thing i remenber is last October after Redbud he was pretty angry at him and he badly wanted his revenge at Assen.
6/19/2019 7:53am
Lucifa. wrote:
If they don't go, the USA will look like a bunch of sore losers so I hope they turn up.
They are sore losers.
wolf918 wrote:
Hmmm, hard to be excited about going to a race that is rigged against us all while knowing that your going to be put on blast...
Hmmm, hard to be excited about going to a race that is rigged against us all while knowing that your going to be put on blast when you return by your own fans! I’d probably be sore.
Explain how the rces are rigged against the U.S.A. They are not, team U.S.A. is losing.
6/19/2019 7:57am
robkinuk wrote:
Didn't hear any complaints about the scheduling of the MXDN all those years Team USA were on a winning streak?WinkShocked
You didn't when GBR did either....oh wait, that hasn't happened since the 60s.
davistld01
6/19/2019 8:03am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2019 8:03am
HUGE financial commitment for zero return...accept getting our asses kicked.

So...both reasons.
Mr. Afterbar
6/19/2019 8:06am
jjavaman wrote:
How come DC hasn’t chimed in on why they couldn’t start outdoors later?
The Nationals have to be over when they are due to TV. College football starts and NBC will not show MX over college football.
Sir
6/19/2019 8:16am
How has a six week break become a disadvantage for the USA? Six weeks gives the riders time to recover from niggling injuries, time to assess bike set-up and training if needed while also giving plenty of time to get back into the swing of riding a motocross bike. One or two weeks of rest and recuperation followed by four weeks of training on the race bike. Or split the time up however the rider feels like.

As for the picks for USA - if he's healthy then Osbourne is a definite as he has said he wants to go and represent and a more determined and gutsy racer the USA does not have. No hanging about for Osbourne on the track if overtaking is needed he just gets it done and doesn't shirk from adversity should it happen - you need a rider like that for MXdN, helps that he is fast as well - 250 or 450..
Sir
6/19/2019 8:21am
true , who beats Boris ? Laughing
EZZA 95B wrote:
Boris beats Boris. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/06/19/355552/s1200_87_1259646407mueb.jpg[/img]
Boris beats Boris.

Boris beats Germans as well.

Sideways
6/19/2019 8:24am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2019 8:25am
Why are we talking about Eli not going ? Did i miss a statement ? Because last thing i remenber is last October after Redbud he...
Why are we talking about Eli not going ? Did i miss a statement ? Because last thing i remenber is last October after Redbud he was pretty angry at him and he badly wanted his revenge at Assen.
There's been alot of talk about Kawasaki (us team) not going.
wolf918
6/19/2019 8:38am
They are sore losers.
wolf918 wrote:
Hmmm, hard to be excited about going to a race that is rigged against us all while knowing that your going to be put on blast...
Hmmm, hard to be excited about going to a race that is rigged against us all while knowing that your going to be put on blast when you return by your own fans! I’d probably be sore.
Explain how the rces are rigged against the U.S.A. They are not, team U.S.A. is losing.
Date of the race, location of the race, FIM rules vs our AMA rules- fuel requirements- noise levels- true factory bikes catered to mx vs our production based bikes that cater to sx. Start with everyone on production based bikes. Not that this is rigged but we can’t even get a team manager that believes in “team” and will assemble a “team” and make them work like a “team”. Decoster is passed his time, we need rick Johnson.
motomike137
6/19/2019 8:45am
Sir wrote:
How has a six week break become a disadvantage for the USA? Six weeks gives the riders time to recover from niggling injuries, time to assess...
How has a six week break become a disadvantage for the USA? Six weeks gives the riders time to recover from niggling injuries, time to assess bike set-up and training if needed while also giving plenty of time to get back into the swing of riding a motocross bike. One or two weeks of rest and recuperation followed by four weeks of training on the race bike. Or split the time up however the rider feels like.

As for the picks for USA - if he's healthy then Osbourne is a definite as he has said he wants to go and represent and a more determined and gutsy racer the USA does not have. No hanging about for Osbourne on the track if overtaking is needed he just gets it done and doesn't shirk from adversity should it happen - you need a rider like that for MXdN, helps that he is fast as well - 250 or 450..
On paper one could look at it like that but in reality there is no training for racing like racing. Also that period is the only real break that the riders racing in North America get for the year. You are in denial if you don't think our riders aren't ready for a mental and physical break after racing practically every weekend of the year up to the end of the nationals. Other than feeling really patriotic about it I can see how they would not want to do it.
teamddr
6/19/2019 8:48am Edited Date/Time 6/19/2019 8:49am
wolf918 wrote:
wolf918 wrote:
Date of the race, location of the race, FIM rules vs our AMA rules- fuel requirements- noise levels- true factory bikes catered to mx vs our...
Date of the race, location of the race, FIM rules vs our AMA rules- fuel requirements- noise levels- true factory bikes catered to mx vs our production based bikes that cater to sx. Start with everyone on production based bikes. Not that this is rigged but we can’t even get a team manager that believes in “team” and will assemble a “team” and make them work like a “team”. Decoster is passed his time, we need rick Johnson.
Can you explain what you mean exactly by production based bike
One like healings rode at Ironman
What a load of BS
Works MXGP spec of AMA spec if you set it up like a super cross bike outdoors it’s gonna handle like a drunk duck.
Maybe it would be better if US got a win soon to stop all this dribble.
DKmxFAN
6/19/2019 9:02am
I would rather have team USA loose then give up.
wolf918
6/19/2019 9:21am
wolf918 wrote:
Date of the race, location of the race, FIM rules vs our AMA rules- fuel requirements- noise levels- true factory bikes catered to mx vs our...
teamddr wrote:
Can you explain what you mean exactly by production based bike One like healings rode at Ironman What a load of BS Works MXGP spec of...
Can you explain what you mean exactly by production based bike
One like healings rode at Ironman
What a load of BS
Works MXGP spec of AMA spec if you set it up like a super cross bike outdoors it’s gonna handle like a drunk duck.
Maybe it would be better if US got a win soon to stop all this dribble.
Just going off what Langston said recently, that the euros are playing with frame dimensions as well as Herlings running a much longer frame from production. Recently Mathes was stating he believed Herlings was not actually on a complete US spec bike at iron man but couldn’t prove it. Maybe they are wrong I don’t know but it is a big difference running a longer bike at speed.
robkinuk
6/19/2019 11:55am
robkinuk wrote:
Team GB won in 1994 at Roggenburg Switzerland with, Nicoll, Herring and Malin. Do your research before posting fake news again!
ATKpilot99
6/19/2019 11:59am
robkinuk wrote:
robkinuk wrote:
Team GB won in 1994 at Roggenburg Switzerland with, Nicoll, Herring and Malin. Do your research before posting fake news again!
Yes . It was a one race win streak .
ando
6/19/2019 12:03pm
They really need to do something about the schedule of this race. I don’t blame riders for not wanting to go. The AMA riders get no...
They really need to do something about the schedule of this race. I don’t blame riders for not wanting to go. The AMA riders get no time off from October when their new contracts start until the end of the nationals end of August. September is really the only month that riders can take a vacation, kind of eat what they want to eat ( remember all of these riders are on a very strict diets) and just get away from Racing and spend time with their family

Any rider who is picked to go now gives up any vacation they have and now has to continue to train and stay in race shape for an extra five more weeks. Then add on the extreme pressure of this race and that if team USA doesn’t win then we didn’t get 2nd or 3rd, but “USA Lost”. And as fans we shit on them when they don’t ride as we expect them to.

Then throw in the fact that the MEC is a week later, which instead of testing for they are focusing still on motocross .

The AMA and the FIM need to work better together to get this race at a better date. The MXON keeps moving later and later in the year and the nationals have ended a little earlier because our series take less breaks during the year.
But, as you point out, they’ll readily train and test for the MEC. So they don’t really need a break...
ando
6/19/2019 12:06pm
robkinuk wrote:
If we had a decent search function it would be easy to correlate these threads/posts vs whether US won or lost the prior year.
peltier626
6/19/2019 12:11pm
DonM wrote:
early wrote:
Or just no MEC. The race has lost its luster.
AGREE, cancel the mec and focus on the MXON. I'd much prefer to see us participate in the MXON than the mec.
VetMX.com
6/19/2019 12:28pm
I was never that fast of a rider (+30 B class top 5 was my fastest) but you can bet your Ass that if my Country asked me to represent them at this historic race, I would buckle up and make it happen.

Yes, MEC is important for the prize money but I am old school and believe in helping my Country out and shutting up this EU trash talk would be a priority.

No one ever said it was going to be easy. MX in general isn't easy but isn't that why we all love it?

It should be an honour to represent the USA against the best in the world.
byke
6/19/2019 12:33pm
Super patriotic.

Spells like a Canadian.

Tongue
philG
6/19/2019 12:34pm
MOTO732 wrote:
Without the USA there it's basically just an off season MXGP race that nobody would care about.
No.. nobody in the US would care about.

Its the best race of the year, whether the US show up or not,
6/19/2019 12:45pm
robkinuk wrote:
robkinuk wrote:
I believe you said “winning streak”. One win is not a winning streak.

Post a reply to: Should America not race MXON?

The Latest