Amatuer support levels

jmurphy243
Fantasy
2073rd
Edited Date/Time 4/13/2016 5:14pm
Hey guys I have been out of the racing scene for a number of years, and even when I was racing most of my races weren't AMA or national caliber. I'm curious what a realistic amatuer support program looks like. How many A class riders are getting everything for free? How many B riders? I know there are some pretty big names in the B class but is there anyone getting a full ride in the C class? What can an unknown B class racer expect for support? I appreciate your responses! Can't wait to hear what you have to say!
|
MelonFan123
4/12/2016 8:11pm
How many instagram followers do you have? Dropped any edits lately?
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
4/12/2016 10:00pm
jmurphy243 wrote:
Hey guys I have been out of the racing scene for a number of years, and even when I was racing most of my races weren't...
Hey guys I have been out of the racing scene for a number of years, and even when I was racing most of my races weren't AMA or national caliber. I'm curious what a realistic amatuer support program looks like. How many A class riders are getting everything for free? How many B riders? I know there are some pretty big names in the B class but is there anyone getting a full ride in the C class? What can an unknown B class racer expect for support? I appreciate your responses! Can't wait to hear what you have to say!
Have you been taking the pot?
jmurphy243
Fantasy
2073rd
4/13/2016 6:00am
I have not been doing any of the pot, I have been in the military and unable to race. I can't really tell if you are being facetious or not does it really Coke down to your followers?

The Shop

OR Racer46
Fantasy
876th
4/13/2016 6:11am
Most of not all sponsors are not in it to lose money just to feel good by helping someone out . They are in it to make more money and it's just a part of there advertising budget .
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
4/13/2016 6:27am
There is A, B and mini riders getting everything for free and even some getting paid, but no C riders.
Panic_Rev
4/13/2016 6:42am
jmurphy243 wrote:
Hey guys I have been out of the racing scene for a number of years, and even when I was racing most of my races weren't...
I would start at your local shop and see if they have any rider support programs. This will most likely be in the form of a % discount. After a year of racing I would then go to your preferred brand names of products you use and submit a rider resume. Again if anything comes of this it will more than likely be a % discount. Year after year do the same thing. I bet you find that the companies that offer you something the first year will increase the discount because of the relationships you built and loyalty to their product. This is just my thoughts typed out. The furthest I have gone is my local shop and I am more than pleased with the service that I get so I want to send them all my business.
kkawboy14
4/13/2016 7:17am
Unless you are looking to go from Amatuer to Pro why would anyone want to "support" you?

They are really looking to support people early in their career in hope of them getting a return or exposure as they advance their mx career.

If that's not your goal then there are some manufacturer contingencies for certain amature series (Florida Winter Ams) that will help some. Like stated already some local shops will give you a discount but that isn't really support its more of a loyalty program to keep you coming to them.
hookieman24
4/13/2016 8:13am
Start a GoFundMe account - NOT!!
I seem to get bombarded with those everyday for racers
Jake86
4/13/2016 8:20am
jmurphy243 wrote:
kzizok wrote:
Have you been taking the pot?
He has but like Bill Clinton he didn't inhale...
4/13/2016 8:27am
Your C riders could have a lot of sponsors, but it will mostly be at discounted rates as opposed to free stuff. Manufactures usually stay away from C riders as well. Think there's a rule in the AMA books about C riders getting a certain level of support, but I could be wrong.
I never really had any of my own contracts with sponsors until I was in the B class, and I wasn't even winning at the amateur nationals. Most all of my contracts included free product. Tires, gear, goggles, oils, graphics and bikes with Honda of Houston. I'm sure the last name didn't hurt the cause at all, but sometimes just being a good kid can get you far enough with some sponsors.
jmurphy243
Fantasy
2073rd
4/13/2016 8:28am
I appreciate the replies everyone! I just want to clarify I'm not asking how to get sponsored or what I can expect. I'm just curious what these kids are getting. There seems to be a ton of kids that appear to have a factory ride, I'm just curious how many of them actually do and how many are full of shit.
Jake86
4/13/2016 8:30am
Everybody is a legend in their own mind!!
4/13/2016 8:32am
jmurphy243 wrote:
I appreciate the replies everyone! I just want to clarify I'm not asking how to get sponsored or what I can expect. I'm just curious what...
I appreciate the replies everyone! I just want to clarify I'm not asking how to get sponsored or what I can expect. I'm just curious what these kids are getting. There seems to be a ton of kids that appear to have a factory ride, I'm just curious how many of them actually do and how many are full of shit.
Most of them are full of shit. In my experience, a local joe gets 25% off from Dunlop through Sponsorhouse and all of a sudden gets the factory spec tires straight from the KTM truck.
Freddie
4/13/2016 9:45am
jmurphy243 wrote:
i'd have to guess most of the top A guys are getting a fair amount of stuff for free, tires, gear, lubricants, stuff like that. the B class is a mix of "older" riders coming up from the C class and some really fast amateurs coming off of super minis like Forkner was, Faulk etc... Lots of guys in the B class still seem to get a lot of local dealer support if they are not one of the top Team Green, Orange Brigade, Blu Crew riders etc.
Seems like most of the C riders are all locally supported by local dealers or some connection they may have to a local business, usually owned by mom or dad or a relative.
I'd suggest looking into getting a Hookit account if you don't already have one. It's a good way to get connected to some of the companies you are probably going to want to get sponsorship from.
Good Luck!
peelout
4/13/2016 9:53am Edited Date/Time 4/13/2016 9:57am
funny little story, i hooked up with a girl on Tinder and one of the questions she asked me when we met up for a drink was "how many Instagram followers do you have", and she was dead serious.

as for the OP, i think it varies from rider to rider, class to class, but i do know the kids hitting all the nationals at the top of their classes are getting quite a bit of help. i remember Weimer back on Suzuki amateur team had a pretty decent payout from Suzuki but an even better one from his gear sponsor.

my guess is the top kids are likely getting bikes and parts and an allowance for travel plus a little extra

TeamGreen
4/13/2016 12:03pm
peelout wrote:
funny little story, i hooked up with a girl on Tinder and one of the questions she asked me when we met up for a drink...
funny little story, i hooked up with a girl on Tinder and one of the questions she asked me when we met up for a drink was "how many Instagram followers do you have", and she was dead serious.

as for the OP, i think it varies from rider to rider, class to class, but i do know the kids hitting all the nationals at the top of their classes are getting quite a bit of help. i remember Weimer back on Suzuki amateur team had a pretty decent payout from Suzuki but an even better one from his gear sponsor.

my guess is the top kids are likely getting bikes and parts and an allowance for travel plus a little extra

So, she was a Ho?
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
4/13/2016 12:29pm
jmurphy243 wrote:
I appreciate the replies everyone! I just want to clarify I'm not asking how to get sponsored or what I can expect. I'm just curious what...
They do have a factory ride many times, but it is out of their parent's wallet. While your top amateur kids are getting freebies, times have changed a lot in the last 10 years from what I've seen. It seems anyone can get a 15-20% off deal, more of the guys who used to get free products are getting 40-60% off. There are always exceptions, but a majority of the local A guys I know are paying something for pretty much everything. Your top, say 5 national amateur guys are getting freebies, and on back after that is discounted with a few exceptions.

moore433
4/13/2016 1:27pm
I believe if you were a factory supported mini intermediate racer, when you moved up to big bikes you could go down to the c class. I believe that is what Jason Edwards did years ago.
Dtat720
4/13/2016 1:48pm
I remember watching the barcia episode of inside the great outodoors, talking about how being on Geico Honda was great as far as bikes went, but everything else was paid for out of pocket until he was out of the am ranks. Travel, gear, everything. I would think 7 years later and an even worse economy, its about the same for top am riders.
c0ncEpT
4/13/2016 1:52pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Unless you are looking to go from Amatuer to Pro why would anyone want to "support" you? They are really looking to support people early in...
Unless you are looking to go from Amatuer to Pro why would anyone want to "support" you?

They are really looking to support people early in their career in hope of them getting a return or exposure as they advance their mx career.

If that's not your goal then there are some manufacturer contingencies for certain amature series (Florida Winter Ams) that will help some. Like stated already some local shops will give you a discount but that isn't really support its more of a loyalty program to keep you coming to them.
You don't think it can be mutually beneficial for a rider and company to have some sort or relationship if the rider doesn't plan on going pro?
MelonFan123
4/13/2016 2:06pm
I was listening to this week’s Pulp Show earlier and there was a long discussion about the current state of amateur mx between Matthes, Ryan the Team Green supervisor guy, and the guest hosts (Paul from ProTaper and Randy from ANSR). I thought it was an interesting listen and figured it was relevant to this thread. Seems they all agree that many of these kids are getting too much too soon nowadays.
Sorry OP not trying to hijack..
twizzler
4/13/2016 2:51pm
Some amateurs are given a credit card from their sponsor or sponsors. Credit card typically has a $ budget. Can be spent on anything from gear, parts, accessories, fuel, oil, etc...from that particular sponsor. Then some factory (Honda, Kaw, Yam, Suz, KTM) offer credit cards with a budget for the racer and family to spend on travel expenses such as; lodging, fuel, vehicle maintenance, food, etc... to get to the practice track as well as to the races. Plus they may get free product such as: gear, bikes, parts, etc.. Basically some riders amateur career is completely funded 100%. And some get less support of varying degrees.
NITRODOG
Fantasy
1338th
4/13/2016 3:31pm
Max Lee is a "C" class rider that has a pretty decent support ride. Smile Plus he's a good, hard working kid and hella fun to watch ride!
Jake86
4/13/2016 4:22pm
If anyone wants to sponsor me id gladly take some VPR fuel Wink
I would like a Chipotle sponsorship, or Ruth's Chris sponsorship. I will pay for my own bike, gear, parts, etc.. Just feed my big ass...
4/13/2016 4:44pm
One of the fastest am kids in the country resides in texas - and he pays for bikes, mods, suspension, travel, racing etc. Sure he gets many things at a discount - but that discount is just a "dealer" level deal...meaning whatever part, gear, goggles he gets is still making the original company the same money as it does to be sold at a local dealer...just cuts out the dealer.

Outwardly looking in many people think he is fully sponsored...as that's the appearance it comes off as.
But plain and simple - they pay for it all.

In fact without racing families like them who buy 15 bikes a year, tons of mods, parts etc...much of this industry wouldn't be around.

Unless you get the highly coveted, geico, star, TLD, and occasional PC ride (most those kids are team green with great perks - but it's not a full ride) - there isn't much to be had. Pro racing is the sad epitome of this - with guys out there loosing money to be there. It doesn't get better at am level.
4/13/2016 5:06pm
One of the fastest am kids in the country resides in texas - and he pays for bikes, mods, suspension, travel, racing etc. Sure he gets...
One of the fastest am kids in the country resides in texas - and he pays for bikes, mods, suspension, travel, racing etc. Sure he gets many things at a discount - but that discount is just a "dealer" level deal...meaning whatever part, gear, goggles he gets is still making the original company the same money as it does to be sold at a local dealer...just cuts out the dealer.

Outwardly looking in many people think he is fully sponsored...as that's the appearance it comes off as.
But plain and simple - they pay for it all.

In fact without racing families like them who buy 15 bikes a year, tons of mods, parts etc...much of this industry wouldn't be around.

Unless you get the highly coveted, geico, star, TLD, and occasional PC ride (most those kids are team green with great perks - but it's not a full ride) - there isn't much to be had. Pro racing is the sad epitome of this - with guys out there loosing money to be there. It doesn't get better at am level.
A lot of which as to do with the economy crashing imo. You don't really see too many 5-10 guys in the B class or A class these days with any manufacture support. A lot of teams cut back big time with Suzuki shuttering their program for a few years and Honda of Houston basically disappearing. Xtreme Team Green was the first team that I remember to do the amateur-pro deal with Villopoto and Stroupe. The unfortunate thing for a lot of the guys not on an amateur supported team is almost being over looked by the factories before ever racing a supercross or outdoor.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
4/13/2016 5:14pm
moore433 wrote:
I believe if you were a factory supported mini intermediate racer, when you moved up to big bikes you could go down to the c class...
I believe if you were a factory supported mini intermediate racer, when you moved up to big bikes you could go down to the c class. I believe that is what Jason Edwards did years ago.
If they were a factory mini rider then they would have ridden LL's. If a rider has ever qualified, in any class (even the PW class), you cant ride C. Have to go to B.

Post a reply to: Amatuer support levels

The Latest