Am I the only one who thinks the MXDN

WhKnuckle
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 9:03am
is a collosal pain in the ass? Every year there's big fight about who's going, then there's a big issue about who's going to pay for everything, then there's a big problem with whether the riders can get back for the US Open, then there's the race and everyone tries to microanalyze every pass and everyone tries to put spin on their favorite riders and team's performance, and at the end of the day nobody really wins and nobody really loses. There's a "Yes, but..." story to every ride.

That's so un-moto. The best thing about motocross is the gate drops, one guy wins, the others fill out the rest of the positions, and that's that. But people debate MXDN performances for decades, "Well, he blew Everts' doors off..." "But Everts was protecting Belgium's win..." "Villo beat Reed on a 250..." "But Reed was riding for Australia and his team had no chance..." It never ends.
|
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
8/14/2010 6:00pm
Sorry, I don't agree with you. I like the event, like the national pride aspect, and enjoy seeing guys representing their country, rather than themselves.

I've also been to several BMX and Mountain Bike World Championships, as well as watching mountain biking in the Olympics® when it was part of the of the calendar of events for the first time in Atlanta. There's a lot of the of the same color and feel, with riders sporting their country's colors.
PD441
8/14/2010 6:02pm
MXdN is the bestest.

The Shop

Team Euro
8/14/2010 6:05pm
The MxDN is just a over-rated motocross all star race which means nothing to the GP riders as they have ridden against each other weekly from the 80cc to today. They only put on a different set of riding garments and put on a show, the Americans don't ride with these guys so it's a big fantasy to ride against them and win overall not individually. The only winner is the promoters!!yawn...
calimxer91
8/14/2010 6:06pm
Ask anybody who's won it what it means to them.
Team Euro
8/14/2010 6:26pm
You don't seem to grasp the concept that there is a world outside the US borders which the US riders never cross. The GP riders may have a license in a country they hold citizenship in but have not lived in for years, they probably have a house in a practice track area in another country where the team is based.They may travel back to their origin home in the off season sometimes and may never race in their origin country ever again after rising to the GP level. The patriot fanaticism is a hype of a race environment with insecurity as a underlying driving force to be accepted in a world of motocross outside it's borders that it has no part of or status
WhKnuckle
8/14/2010 6:32pm Edited Date/Time 8/14/2010 6:33pm
In the US, we always seem to have such a chip on our shoulder about having to win, because we DO win a lot, but when you think about it, we should win. The US has a population of 320 million people and we have the highest per-capita income of any large nation in the world, so Americans have money to spend on the sport. Compare our talent pool to Germany, with 82 million people, Italy with 60 million people, Belgium with 10 million people, the UK with 61 million people, Australia with 23 million people - we have a much larger talent pool and we have all the economic and sport-structure advantages with the amateur nationals and everything. We have the upper hand every time.

I remember the old InterAm and Trans-AMA days and how it was such a thrill if an American won, and I'm really happy that the sport has progressed to a point where America is a dominant force. But we shouldn't get so puffed up about it. With all our advantages, we should be a dominant force.

I hope our team goes to Lakewood and wins, but if they don't, it's not the end of the world. I think it's pretty cool when a country like Belgium, with only 10 million people in the whole country, finds a way to win. Good for them.

Post a reply to: Am I the only one who thinks the MXDN

The Latest