Am I the only one that doesn’t want to “Grow our sport”?

Gumby
Edited Date/Time 5/26/2021 9:26am
Unpopular opinion, but we constantly hear the same trope of “we need to do X to grow this sport into the mainstream” Maybe its just me but does noone else see that resulting in Our riders becoming more corporatized, Moto coming under even more legal fire from the outside, and having “Black Lives Matter” spray painted down the start straight like all the other mainstream sports? With the way things are out there right now, I think I prefer moto low-key for the time being.
|
BigBoreFan58
5/25/2021 8:37pm
The money men want to grow the sport. Someone tells you they wanna grow the sport, follow the money.

davermz450
5/25/2021 9:05pm
Growing the sport of super/moto or dirt bikes in general? IMO I dont want to see the dirtbikes in the cities doing wheelies grow but would like to see more people and families have an interest in moto. I look back to the early 2000s during the "bro" era and idk how I feel about the image of the sport then, did the metal mulisha freestyle "grow the sport'? idk. Im sure people bought more dirt bikes during that time but still didn't care about super/motocross.

I think super/motocross with always be "core". I think the racing, knowing who the riders are and actually following it wont ever become mainstream but I would like to see more dirtbikes in the back of a truck heading to the hills
Kelz87
Fantasy
1372nd
5/25/2021 9:24pm
I would love to talk to coworkers on Monday about the weekend races instead of football.

As for politics, it doesn’t belong in any sport
Last Braaap
Fantasy
4382nd
5/25/2021 10:39pm
Kelz87 wrote:
I would love to talk to coworkers on Monday about the weekend races instead of football.

As for politics, it doesn’t belong in any sport
Easy fix: Acquire better co-workers.

The Shop

OtotheB178
5/26/2021 3:02am
davermz450 wrote:
Growing the sport of super/moto or dirt bikes in general? IMO I dont want to see the dirtbikes in the cities doing wheelies grow but would...
Growing the sport of super/moto or dirt bikes in general? IMO I dont want to see the dirtbikes in the cities doing wheelies grow but would like to see more people and families have an interest in moto. I look back to the early 2000s during the "bro" era and idk how I feel about the image of the sport then, did the metal mulisha freestyle "grow the sport'? idk. Im sure people bought more dirt bikes during that time but still didn't care about super/motocross.

I think super/motocross with always be "core". I think the racing, knowing who the riders are and actually following it wont ever become mainstream but I would like to see more dirtbikes in the back of a truck heading to the hills
It has to be accessible and not cost prohibitive. This translates to more tracks and cheaper grass roots racing.

Now let's be real, motorsport of any kind is always somewhat elitist due to it's nature. However the current cost of new bikes has also driven up the cost of secondhand bikes, to levels that 'average' people don't want to spend. Especially not if their intention is for a weekend blast around a sand pit or woods. There's a financial, and therefore total, commitment to the sport that is too much for 'average joe'. This is without the cost of racing thrown on top.

i think it's a two prong resolution to increase numbers in dirtbike sales. Firstly you'd need government (in all it's guises) to allow/encourage tracks and riding spaces rather than restricting them. Secondly you need cheap, easy to maintain and repair bikes.
Cheap bikes means more people are open to dipping their toes in and therefore there's more income for tracks/areas as numbers are up. With more tracks and riding spaces you get more options and therefore more competition meaning competitive pricing and better quality tracks. This is all hypothetical and dream world stuff though.
5/26/2021 5:44am
I want the sport to grow at the professional level in hope that every rider lining up is making a living from it.

Imagine telling someone who doesn't know the sport that a pro rider in the top 0.001% of riders has to drive his own van to attend events, it's wrong.
Jeff_Brines
5/26/2021 6:12am Edited Date/Time 5/26/2021 6:18am
Long time lurker, few comments here.

I come from mountain biking where I've raced for longer than I care to admit.

The sentiment in mountain biking was always the same; "grow our sport, its good for it!". But like you said, it might not be. Especially when it grows for the wrong reasons or in the wrong direction. The last 5 years has seen an explosion of use. But when trail building doesn't follow the increase in the amount of use, you really just end up with a worse (more crowded) experience. I can say the same for backcountry skiing, resort skiing, and to a lesser extent mountain snowmobiling. The upside for a washed up racer like me is I look like a much more impressive athlete than I really am to the droves of newbies in the sport.

Shallow ego boosts aside, the fact is you need the sport to grow in tandem with places you can do the sport, and this rarely (if ever) happens. At least in real time. Especially not with the amount of red tape it takes to build a new trail or track on the motorized side.

Qualitatively, we'd all be a lot better off being happy we found this crazy awesome sport that is probably the best synthesis of man and machine the world has ever known and keeping it a bit quiet. (more on that if you like) Wink

Those wishing pros got paid more (or at all) have to remember we participate in a sport without teams (in the ball sports sense anyway), and most of the riders don't have a "brand" (outside of a handful) the way an NFL team has a brand. If we want more paid pro athletes, those pros need to be more valuable, which I'd argue comes from the media side. Frankly, compared to mountain biking or a handful of other sports like it, I actually don't think the coverage in dirt biking is all that good. SX isn't bad, MX not terrible, but the off road stuff is non-existent. Hard enduro gaining popularity thanks to Red Bull, but overall it too is pretty absent. In the end you could have a myriad of fast riders but if they don't actually move product, or people don't follow them obsessively (like an NFL player), they really aren't worth anything - despite being scary fast.

Don't forget, the manufacturers have every reason in the world to want to "grow the sport". Its not like they sit in meetings and go "ya know, I think our shareholders would be happy with less growth this year, keep those trails clear! Wink ). Regardless, It won't happen without a disruptive change in technology. I actually see the hybrid mountain bike dirt bike possibly serving catalyst. But we're a few years out of that. (Higher quality Surron/Segway that actually fits taller riders)

Time will tell...
5/26/2021 6:31am
It takes a special type of person to ride a mx bike, the typical "American' is in no shape to be doing Moto's or even thinking about swinging a leg over a bike. Not sure if its just the area i live in but most People around my age "37" need to stop and catch air while leaning on a full shopping cart half way through the store. Sorry if i hurt someone's feelings but this it the sad truth here. Anyone can drive a car, anyone can toss a football or shoot hoops but you have to be in some kind of decent shape to enjoy riding Dirt bikes. don't get me started on the health insurance side of it as well.
5/26/2021 6:35am
No sir, you are not! "growth" as most people define it will lead to moto and off road becoming more and more like F1.
agn5008
Fantasy
256th
5/26/2021 6:38am
I want everyone making main events to make a great living. They’re professional athletes and are absolutely amazing at what they do. I don’t know how to achieve that goal without the sport becoming a little more mainstream to attract more sponsors and money. I think the lowest salary an NFL football player can make is something like $750k (I could be a little off on that number.) Imagine if everyone making mains could make that good of a living racing dirt bikes. It would certainly be a lot more competitive.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
5/26/2021 6:42am
Guys, you’re not that special because you ride motorcycles. That it takes more skill than driving a car is a really low bar. There’s nothing elite about it unless you are an elite rider, which 99.9% of us are not. it’s niche, a small world. Maybe the best world, but that’s no more obvious to others than it is to us that someone thinks fly fishing is the pinnacle.

Enjoy our sport as long as you can, and fight for it’s survival.
5/26/2021 6:51am
I don’t know, I watch you tube and face book videos kinda special compared to those disasters.
Meister
5/26/2021 6:52am
My interpretation of "grow the sport" means to teach younger generations so the sports grows and continues. IDGAF if it becomes mainstream like Nascar.
Jeff_Brines
5/26/2021 6:58am
Guys, you’re not that special because you ride motorcycles. That it takes more skill than driving a car is a really low bar. There’s nothing elite...
Guys, you’re not that special because you ride motorcycles. That it takes more skill than driving a car is a really low bar. There’s nothing elite about it unless you are an elite rider, which 99.9% of us are not. it’s niche, a small world. Maybe the best world, but that’s no more obvious to others than it is to us that someone thinks fly fishing is the pinnacle.

Quoted for truth.

I've tried lots of things. Always amazed by anyone at the top, no matter if its chess, golf, crossfit, bikes, football, whatever.

Dirt biking is rad, and it is super hard, but that doesn't make us special.
agn5008
Fantasy
256th
5/26/2021 7:03am
Guys, you’re not that special because you ride motorcycles. That it takes more skill than driving a car is a really low bar. There’s nothing elite...

Quoted for truth. I've tried lots of things. Always amazed by anyone at the top, no matter if its chess, golf, crossfit, bikes, football, whatever. Dirt...
Quoted for truth.

I've tried lots of things. Always amazed by anyone at the top, no matter if its chess, golf, crossfit, bikes, football, whatever.

It’s not special in the sense of comparing it to other athletes. All professional athletes however are very special and should be compensated appropriately. Imagine the 20th best football player in the world having to pay his way to the games and making no money. They don’t have to because football is super popular, mainstream and extremely profitable. We don’t have that.
kage173
5/26/2021 7:04am
I have no desire to grow the sport at the professional level. But I have every desire to grow our sport at the amateur and local level.
sandtrack315
5/26/2021 7:07am
I don't care about growth, I care about sustainability.

I want Japan/Austria to keep making better bikes (ideally, a cheaper model and a more expensive one for each CC).

I want more tracks to open, and not be insanely crowded, but profitable.

I want helmet companies to spend millions developing better helmets.

I don't really care how many people ride, but whatever the number is that does the above, that is what I want.
Crush
5/26/2021 7:10am
I almost vomited in my mouth listening to Pulp today when they said Feld had offered money to MXSports for a few of their dates.

Fucked if I want to watch a 20 round SX series. SNORE.
Jeff_Brines
5/26/2021 7:38am Edited Date/Time 5/26/2021 7:46am

Quoted for truth. I've tried lots of things. Always amazed by anyone at the top, no matter if its chess, golf, crossfit, bikes, football, whatever. Dirt...
Quoted for truth.

agn5008 wrote:
It’s not special in the sense of comparing it to other athletes. All professional athletes however are very special and should be compensated appropriately. Imagine the...
It’s not special in the sense of comparing it to other athletes. All professional athletes however are very special and should be compensated appropriately. Imagine the 20th best football player in the world having to pay his way to the games and making no money. They don’t have to because football is super popular, mainstream and extremely profitable. We don’t have that.
This is where you are mislead. Lets take a sport like baseball.

There are 16M people who play baseball in the US. This means they actively compete. 1,000 of them are in the majors, with roughly another 3000 getting paid in the minors. That's 4000 people making some kind of money playing baseball out of 16M who are competing in the sport.

For those following along, that is 0.025%. Most will obviously never see a pay check.

I can't find any statistics on the number of people who race dirt bikes in the country. But I'd wager there are about 50 paid dirt bike professionals in this country. Again, I'm saying paid as in they make some kind of salary riding their bike (not making millions). If the proportions stay true (50/0.00025) you end up with a race base of 200,000 - which I'd say is high. I sincerely doubt there are 200K people racing dirt bikes in the US.

There are a myriad of baseball players who are really good and never get paid. Same goes for dirt biking. Without understanding the denominator, its impossible to suggest if the sport's pros are actually being supported enough or not.

Don't misread, this isn't the only way to look at this - but its an important one.

RCMXracing
5/26/2021 8:23am
Good discussion. This topic has been rehashed plenty. Something I’ve thought about is how as time goes on it seems that recreational sports cater more and more to the 1 percenters, or even the 10 percenters. See what it costs to take a family of 4 on a ski vacation in the USA. Those big resorts are fine catering to the upper financial echelons.

Let’s hope MX doesn’t end up that way, especially with the advent of E-Moto bikes. It could grow on the high end, but cut out the every day Joe. I see MTB as a much more financially elite crowd. Don’t want to see moto go that way.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
5/26/2021 8:30am
Sports that have grown have entry level pros making $750,000. Sport (mx) that has not grown have half of the top 40 in the series making $0.
Titan1
5/26/2021 10:02am
This sport will never grow to be anything close to Nascar or NFL or NBA...to do that, it needs eyeballs watching on television...and that's never going to happen, because unless someone participates in the sport, its boring to watch on TV. (I participate in the sport, and have followed the sport for nearly 30 years, and I think its boring to watch on TV most of the time...so how can we expect some middle class, middle America family to be channel surfing on a saturday evening and come across a race, and actually find it interesting enough to not just watch, but keep tuning back in for future races?)

Further, the promoters of the sport insist on branding it, and promoting it, as an extreme sport, that is insanely dangerous, that the athletes are dare devils, and replaying the crashes over and over and over and over and over...Monster Energy's image doesn't help...athletes with no public speak skills and no PR skills doesn't help...the "hush hush" surrounding the income the top guys are making doesn't help...

If the sport wants to grow, I'd suggest the pro athletes (athletes...not team managers, not team owners, not promoters) stop looking to NASCAR as a model to follow...and start looking to the Pro Bull Riding (PBR)...they did it right...and now they are all getting paid.

As for me...No part of me wants, nor cares, if the sport grows. I'm perfectly happy with the size of the sport now (big enough to get live races on TV and that's all that matters to me)...but if it has to change size, I'd rather it shrink, to be honest...I liked when there were less riders on my trails...I liked when I could see a Fox shirt in the mall and be almost certain the dude rides...I liked box vans (rather than semi's) and hay bails (rather than tuff blocks)...
kijen
5/26/2021 10:29am
Somebody mentioned grow the sport equals follow the money, so true like everything else today. Jacksonville fl is so worriwd about growing, i.e. housing etc...that quality of life is going down for those that already live here. Growing does not equal making something better.
gt80rider
5/26/2021 4:06pm
Smaller equals less new tech, fewer riders, and higher prices....

Bigger means lower prices, more tech, and more people to ride with....

Which do u think is better????
willbilly
5/26/2021 5:42pm
In the 70s “everyone” rode. Bikes were cheap. Tracks and riding areas were plentiful. Would like to return to that. With $10k, high dollar maintenance bikes, don’t think it will ever happen.
CG118
5/26/2021 6:08pm
Titan1 wrote:
This sport will never grow to be anything close to Nascar or NFL or NBA...to do that, it needs eyeballs watching on television...and that's never going...
This sport will never grow to be anything close to Nascar or NFL or NBA...to do that, it needs eyeballs watching on television...and that's never going to happen, because unless someone participates in the sport, its boring to watch on TV. (I participate in the sport, and have followed the sport for nearly 30 years, and I think its boring to watch on TV most of the time...so how can we expect some middle class, middle America family to be channel surfing on a saturday evening and come across a race, and actually find it interesting enough to not just watch, but keep tuning back in for future races?)

Further, the promoters of the sport insist on branding it, and promoting it, as an extreme sport, that is insanely dangerous, that the athletes are dare devils, and replaying the crashes over and over and over and over and over...Monster Energy's image doesn't help...athletes with no public speak skills and no PR skills doesn't help...the "hush hush" surrounding the income the top guys are making doesn't help...

If the sport wants to grow, I'd suggest the pro athletes (athletes...not team managers, not team owners, not promoters) stop looking to NASCAR as a model to follow...and start looking to the Pro Bull Riding (PBR)...they did it right...and now they are all getting paid.

As for me...No part of me wants, nor cares, if the sport grows. I'm perfectly happy with the size of the sport now (big enough to get live races on TV and that's all that matters to me)...but if it has to change size, I'd rather it shrink, to be honest...I liked when there were less riders on my trails...I liked when I could see a Fox shirt in the mall and be almost certain the dude rides...I liked box vans (rather than semi's) and hay bails (rather than tuff blocks)...
Holy shit. I didn’t know I had a twin somewhere,that shared the same mind. Crazy.

Ditto brother. Ditto.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
5/26/2021 6:17pm
Just ride your motorcycle.
Nairb#70
5/26/2021 6:24pm
MX and SX has always taken a special breed of individual. I've always felt that way and taken pride in that fact. You're not just another sheep from a mold of others. I also never gave a rats ass if other people didn't get it, it made me feel a lot better knowing that I wasn't like "normal" people. So I'm happy with it just like it is, too much at stake to risk losing
karlsmith808
5/26/2021 6:25pm
Titan1 wrote:
This sport will never grow to be anything close to Nascar or NFL or NBA...to do that, it needs eyeballs watching on television...and that's never going...

I agree, my kids get all excited thinking that the Fox shirt meant he rode but they now realize that it's almost meaningless, just about anybody has them.
B Lenny
5/26/2021 6:37pm
Gumby wrote:
Unpopular opinion, but we constantly hear the same trope of “we need to do X to grow this sport into the mainstream” Maybe its just me...
Unpopular opinion, but we constantly hear the same trope of “we need to do X to grow this sport into the mainstream” Maybe its just me but does noone else see that resulting in Our riders becoming more corporatized, Moto coming under even more legal fire from the outside, and having “Black Lives Matter” spray painted down the start straight like all the other mainstream sports? With the way things are out there right now, I think I prefer moto low-key for the time being.
What is this the 1940's?..America's changing...

Post a reply to: Am I the only one that doesn’t want to “Grow our sport”?

The Latest