Am I crazy? Late thirties beginner looking to ride on Mx track

EriCS1991
Edited Date/Time 10/13/2020 4:24pm
What’s up everybody, yea so the title pretty much sums up my question. I’ve been thinking about purchasing a bike to ride trails locally as well as looking to try riding at a few local and near distance tracks. I’ve been kinda picking peoples brains as to wether I’m chewing off more than I can handle considering my age and lack of experience on a dirt bike. I’ve owned a 450 sport quad for a few years and a sport bike. I figured maybe a forum like this would be a good place to seek criticism or encouragement. im not expecting to be jumping triples or anything but just wanted to hear what your opinions are. Thanks and be gentle to the old green guy.
|
EriCS1991
6/26/2020 6:30pm
Just to reiterate, I’m not concerned with riding trails it’s the track as I’m getting some mixed opinions from some people. I actually spoke with the owner of a track and he seems to think I should go for it and that I would have a blast.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
6/26/2020 6:31pm
No. Sign up for riding lessons, keep your line, go at your own pace, and have fun.
Denn700
6/26/2020 6:37pm
I know lots of people who started in there 30’s. I am 45 and still ride.

The Shop

EriCS1991
6/26/2020 6:43pm
Denn700 wrote:
I know lots of people who started in there 30’s. I am 45 and still ride.
Ok, that’s kinda what the gentleman I spoke with who owners the track said granted he’s been riding most of his life.
6/26/2020 6:43pm
EriCS1991 wrote:
What’s up everybody, yea so the title pretty much sums up my question. I’ve been thinking about purchasing a bike to ride trails locally as well...
What’s up everybody, yea so the title pretty much sums up my question. I’ve been thinking about purchasing a bike to ride trails locally as well as looking to try riding at a few local and near distance tracks. I’ve been kinda picking peoples brains as to wether I’m chewing off more than I can handle considering my age and lack of experience on a dirt bike. I’ve owned a 450 sport quad for a few years and a sport bike. I figured maybe a forum like this would be a good place to seek criticism or encouragement. im not expecting to be jumping triples or anything but just wanted to hear what your opinions are. Thanks and be gentle to the old green guy.
Never too old. Go have fun, and remember that's why you are out there. No need to push it to beat anyone, just have fun.
EriCS1991
6/26/2020 6:45pm
Any suggestions on what to purchase? I was advised a 4 stroke 250. Only consideration I’m having is used vs something almost new. I don’t know if it’s worth buying a 10 year old bike with x amount of hours on it. Any advice on what the threshold of something not needing a rebuild is?
crowe176
6/26/2020 6:49pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2020 6:50pm
Not sure what your experience is on a dirt bike, but if you're totally green, find some trails or a riding area thats fairly open (a field or gravel pit), and just cut in a turn track. When you can rip some turns, it might make hitting a track a little less difficult. At my local tracks, the beginner riding sessions can be pretty congested with guys doing all kinds of kooky shit. If you just want to jump on a track right out of the gate, like the guys up there said, hold your line lol..
Keith72
6/26/2020 6:50pm
Get the newest bike you can afford. I'm 47 and can ride a track just fine. Been riding for about 15 years. You'll be fine. Progress and ride at your own pace.
Keith72
6/26/2020 6:52pm
KTMBRO362 wrote:
Hold your line
Especially if you are rolling a jump. Do Not cross from one side to the other.
crowe176
6/26/2020 6:53pm
EriCS1991 wrote:
Any suggestions on what to purchase? I was advised a 4 stroke 250. Only consideration I’m having is used vs something almost new. I don’t know...
Any suggestions on what to purchase? I was advised a 4 stroke 250. Only consideration I’m having is used vs something almost new. I don’t know if it’s worth buying a 10 year old bike with x amount of hours on it. Any advice on what the threshold of something not needing a rebuild is?
Depending on your budget, A low hour (-30 hours?) vet owned/maintained 250f sounds like a good start man.
6/26/2020 6:57pm
Go for it!

I didn't start riding MX til my mid 30s and I had never owned a motorcycle before, let alone an MX bike.

As said before, go at you own pace and find some guys you can ride with and learn from, also buy a good quality hemet and boots.

You already have some riding experience so you should be comfortable with the speed and have the coordination.
ElliotB16
6/26/2020 7:01pm
Nothing wrong with that. Be safe and have fun
js451
6/26/2020 7:04pm
I started riding at thirty and had my first race at 33 Smile Never too late really
6/26/2020 7:16pm
Ride at the end of the day or On slow days when it’s not busy. Just until you get your speed and able to hold a line.
UGOTBIT
Fantasy
1724th
6/26/2020 7:27pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
No. Sign up for riding lessons, keep your line, go at your own pace, and have fun.
All of this!
Slow450
6/26/2020 7:27pm
EriCS1991 wrote:
Any suggestions on what to purchase? I was advised a 4 stroke 250. Only consideration I’m having is used vs something almost new. I don’t know...
Get a bike that only requires a gas can to go ride. You'll have plenty of time to get into a "build" later on. You don't want to have to worry about sorting the bike out when you're trying to learn to ride. Depending on how big you are a 125 two stroke is not a bad option either. A 250 four stroke is fine, but try and recruit someone who knows when purchasing.

You want some coaching too, formal or informal.
wildbill
6/26/2020 8:03pm
Pin it and pray dude. Goodluck!
yz25
6/26/2020 8:11pm
Started riding a dirt bike when I was 33. First was trails with buddies but everyone knows how that works out. Figure it was better to ride alone on a public track than out deep in the trails. Hit up the local tracks. Rolled everything, kept my lines didn’t let the excited over shoot my riding ability. Had the time of my life! Tried to get better and met more people each time at the track. Seven hrs later........ never hit a trail since and try to ride at least once a week. At a Mx track. Addicted is a understatement.
Don’t over think it. Remember why you purchased the 2 wheeler and at the same time remember you have bills to pay. Believe it or not. You can still have a great time and be safe. ENJOY
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
6/26/2020 8:16pm
EriCS1991 wrote:
What’s up everybody, yea so the title pretty much sums up my question. I’ve been thinking about purchasing a bike to ride trails locally as well...
I grew up riding trials, but didn't get the chance to ride a track until I was 39. One ride day, and I was hooked. I still ride trails maybe 5-6 times a year, but MX 3-4 times a month. I started when I was 39 and now I'm 49. With the new modern bikes, its actually pretty easy to pick up. Big things: 1) Always hold your line when learning 2) Ride within your ability and slowly improve 3) Jumping gets easier when you are better at cornering, but sometimes its hard to get better at cornering when you are afraid to jump. Work on both skills equally 4) Take a lesson, or several and 5) Have fun. The sport needs more riders.

I plan to ride MX well into my 70s, maybe 80s.
EriCS1991
6/26/2020 8:25pm
EriCS1991 wrote:
Slow450 wrote:
Get a bike that only requires a gas can to go ride. You'll have plenty of time to get into a "build" later on. You don't...
Get a bike that only requires a gas can to go ride. You'll have plenty of time to get into a "build" later on. You don't want to have to worry about sorting the bike out when you're trying to learn to ride. Depending on how big you are a 125 two stroke is not a bad option either. A 250 four stroke is fine, but try and recruit someone who knows when purchasing.

6’ 210lbs
WowWowWubzy
6/26/2020 9:00pm
Go early, or go late. Less traffic. Teach my kid to keep ears and eyes open fo the fast guys. Hold your line and let em by, don’t bite off more than you can chew. If you want a 450, get a 250. Learn on sand if available. 👍🏻
Max D
6/26/2020 9:14pm
EriCS1991 wrote:
You'll be fine. Just stay in your line and have as much awareness of other riders around you as you can. If the owner of the track your riding splits the practice sessions by riding experience that can be a positive thing. Depends on how you look at it and what mood your in that day, I guess. But there usually has to be a lot of riders signed up that day for splitting the sessions to make sense. Either way, you'll be hooked! A well built MX track can be intimidating for a beginner, especially for the first few times. Just don't ride over your head and have fun!
TeamGreen
6/26/2020 9:28pm
EriCS1991 wrote:
There's a lot of good wisdom in here.

I'm 57 ad have been involved with this industry and PLENTY of friends that have picked MX up very late in life.

Drop me a PM if ya have any problems getting a bike or gear...or...whatever...

Good Luck!

Manny

Slow450
6/26/2020 10:31pm
EriCS1991 wrote:
Slow450 wrote:
Get a bike that only requires a gas can to go ride. You'll have plenty of time to get into a "build" later on. You don't...

EriCS1991 wrote:
6’ 210lbs
I'd steer clear of 125s in that case. I'm the same height and about 200-get around fine on a 250f. 250 two strokes are fun too. Usually older guys are fine learning on something that is more powerful, just take it easy. So even a 450 isn't out of the question, and if you have to go older, like more than a few years, it will be easier to find one that is tight/mechanically sound. To reiterate, you don't want a project bike.

Once you get comfortable with riding the bike look for a track with a beginner (sometimes called intermediate) track. You'll find small, easy jumps and usually almost no one riding them. As it's been stated, hold your line. Find some coaching. Youtube is a great resource for ques on the fundamentals. There's so much more out there these days for good content. Try to show up to the track with a skill or two to focus on for the day. You'll be fine.
MotofactioN
6/26/2020 10:36pm
Have fun man. I got a “late” start at 23. 24 now and I’m so glad I started going to MX tracks. Just have fun, hold your line, and remember, you aren’t out there to impress anybody.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
6/27/2020 12:12am
Don't do it,you will have way too much fun,next thing you know it will be the only thing you will think about .You will plan vacations around riding,End up with great friends,have a toy hauler in your driveway.Spend too much time on forums with lke minded people.One bike turns into several. Oh yeah don't do it.
It's Addictive.As a guy thats 59 years old and still loves to hit a track can attest to.
I don't expect you to heed my warning,so hold your line and have fun.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
6/27/2020 1:30am Edited Date/Time 6/27/2020 1:31am
Rode a couple times on borrowed bikes as a kid, (my parents weren't really dirt bike friendly) Started getting more into it when I moved out and could buy my own. Rode Honda XL's (a 75, a 175, then a 500) around town and in the local hills and deserts. My first true "MX" bike was a 1990 CR250, I didn't enter my first race until I was 34, (27 years ago) got hooked and haven't stopped since. I think a low hour 250f would be a good starting point. Good luck, have fun and hold your line ! for the 20th time LaughingLaughing Don't worry faster guys will go around you just fine, you don't need to move out of their way Cool

Post a reply to: Am I crazy? Late thirties beginner looking to ride on Mx track

The Latest