Always wondered about this - Matthes vs. THahn

hammertime
3/24/2016 6:00am
MxKing809 wrote:
Matthes is the only guy that actually reports and doesn't suck off every rider
that's hilarious, awesome and true! a lot of people in the industry are guilty of protecting their little buddy riders. it doesn't happen in "real" sports where fans have free run to praise or shit on an athlete as they see fit. this whole little moto clique is has always been a wee bit soft and ghey!
bangmyhead
3/24/2016 6:55am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2016 6:56am
No need to bring your woman into the discussion.
Haha hit a nerve? Whistling Don't worry your wife use to be skinny bro it's all good. While he's kinda on point at times, he jumps to conclusions most the time
Boarddesign
Fantasy
2035th
3/24/2016 8:28am
haydos25 wrote:
If I'm Tommy Hahn, Deano, Weimer, Bogle or any of the other borderline jobless ppl next year then I'm all up in Matthes junk trying to...
If I'm Tommy Hahn, Deano, Weimer, Bogle or any of the other borderline jobless ppl next year then I'm all up in Matthes junk trying to get on his show. Bring me in to co-host, sponsor me for 20 bux a week and I'll run stickers, call me every week and I'll dish the scoop on who's missus is banging who behind there back, u name it I'm doing it.

Reason being is that like it or not, his show is THE BEST way for fans of the sport to get to know the personalities of these guys. Get a following, have everyone talking about u, create some buzz from all angles. Enticknap is living proof that it works. He's making money from his fucking raps now for Christ sake. Does anyone think that happens without pulp?

Be smart and use the resources. He may ride ur ass like he does weimer and filthy Phil but take it in good humour and reep the rewards, u better believe steves going into bat with his contacts for u if ur in his good books.
You get it. So many others too but can't repost a page full of quotes.

Tommy or any other rider with "beef" could get on his show and he would let them vent.. Steve "may or may not" interrupt him "Ooooorr" disagree but he would let him build / burry himself back up.

There are some sandy Vag's in this thread hating as well… "He's fat" really BRO? Great posting.
The Rock
3/24/2016 9:33am
Any of you obviously hard core fans taken the time yet to donate a five or a ten spot to Preston Petty?

The Shop

Matthes
3/24/2016 10:31am
There's a ton of moto media guys nowadays to listen to if you're not a fan of what I do so no one is forced to just absorb my take on something. I like to think my opinions come from a somewhat educated background of a life in the sport but it def doesn't mean I'm right all the time. I have an opinion like a lot of you and I'm wrong a lot as well. I'd rather offer up some thoughts about a topic one way or another than just be bland, neutral or (maybe) scared like some media guys are.

Most riders are fine with that and if they want to hammer on me, I'm fine with that. I dish it out, I have to be able to take it right?

The success of the Observations column and podcasts on Racer X, the Moto:60 show and Pulpmx Show in terms of growing numbers every single time we add the downloads up (every 4 months) indicate that fans of the sport seem to like what myself and my co-hosts are doing. I'd like to think things we've done with the show, the post race podcasts, etc, etc are being imitated more and more which is a sign we're going down the right road.

If everyone likes you, you're not doing it right IMO and many times, people won't like your content or you no matter what you do so why worry and try to please everyone?
Motofinne
3/24/2016 10:37am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2016 10:38am
Keep it up Matthes. You are one of very few that actually doesn't care what a rider or a team member thinks about your observations and opinions, we need way more of that and less of the broing down if the sport wants to become bigger. Although i would love to see you do more GP stuff in the future! And being a journalist isn't about pleasing people, it's about delivering news that people want to read and listen to! And you are doing a very good job when it comes to that.
Eric238
3/24/2016 10:42am
Matthes wrote:
There's a ton of moto media guys nowadays to listen to if you're not a fan of what I do so no one is forced to...
There's a ton of moto media guys nowadays to listen to if you're not a fan of what I do so no one is forced to just absorb my take on something. I like to think my opinions come from a somewhat educated background of a life in the sport but it def doesn't mean I'm right all the time. I have an opinion like a lot of you and I'm wrong a lot as well. I'd rather offer up some thoughts about a topic one way or another than just be bland, neutral or (maybe) scared like some media guys are.

Most riders are fine with that and if they want to hammer on me, I'm fine with that. I dish it out, I have to be able to take it right?

The success of the Observations column and podcasts on Racer X, the Moto:60 show and Pulpmx Show in terms of growing numbers every single time we add the downloads up (every 4 months) indicate that fans of the sport seem to like what myself and my co-hosts are doing. I'd like to think things we've done with the show, the post race podcasts, etc, etc are being imitated more and more which is a sign we're going down the right road.

If everyone likes you, you're not doing it right IMO and many times, people won't like your content or you no matter what you do so why worry and try to please everyone?
Right on, Matthes. Keep it up!!

motoman617
3/24/2016 10:49am
I always look forward to reading the Observations column every week. I like the extra insight on what happened at the races. Keep up the good work.

Speaking of that, where is this weeks column?
kkawboy14
3/24/2016 11:14am
Matthes wrote:
There's a ton of moto media guys nowadays to listen to if you're not a fan of what I do so no one is forced to...

Good stuff!
3/24/2016 11:38am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2016 11:47am
Matthes i am a follower of Pulp radio show and podcast, i really enjoy the content, humor and opinions, i think your co-host and yourself together a really hard working and do a great job. But if you have read through the whole thread you will see I dislike to continual digs at riders that you have beef with. I am not talking about the content of your observation columns I mean the numerous time their names get brought up on the show and they are slandered.
Some of the post in this thread calling out Tommy as being a pussy are hilarious, I have never met Tommy and live on the other side of the world I really dont know Tommy Hahn, But I am sure the people on here calling him a pussy dont either. A true testament to your power. as also we see this power used when you help guys like Philthy and Deuce Deuce.
Matthes isnt your digs at these riders an unfare action?
A professional savvy media guy, taking personal digs at a professional MXer through a media outlet he controls
About as fare as Tommy Hahn saying to you, hey, lets sought this out on my home mx track, come out and race me, the winner must be right.

mb60
3/24/2016 2:27pm
Matthes wrote:

So where is the dang observation article from Detroit ??
JerseyFresh
3/24/2016 2:42pm
You're the man Matthes. I'm gonna say what's up at Lakewood.
3/24/2016 5:36pm
I got your back, Matthes. Thank you for all the excellent and free content. Thanks for fielding the heat and saying it like it is.
500guy
3/24/2016 8:41pm
I got your back, Matthes. Thank you for all the excellent and free content. Thanks for fielding the heat and saying it like it is.
I'm still mad at him for making them start the Chase Format.
Stephon
3/24/2016 9:06pm
ACBraap wrote:
Just goes to show how amateurish moto is. If I were Mathes, I'd write my opinion of THahn every week. It's his job, and his performance...
Just goes to show how amateurish moto is. If I were Mathes, I'd write my opinion of THahn every week. It's his job, and his performance is there to view. If THahn want's to shun certain media outlets, that's his right I suppose (I might think differently if I were a sponsor or team owner). In spite of his faults, Mathes has done a lot to show the inner workings of the sport to the fans. It's too bad it takes 5 hours each week to cover 2.5 hours of material though.
This:

"It's too bad it takes 5 hours each week to cover 2.5 hours of material though."

I listen to the archive on 1.5x or 2x and skip the commercials. I really enjoy the show and him as host. I just think it could be 2-3 hours max.
smoothwakey
Fantasy
144th
3/25/2016 12:19am
ACBraap wrote:
Just goes to show how amateurish moto is. If I were Mathes, I'd write my opinion of THahn every week. It's his job, and his performance...
Just goes to show how amateurish moto is. If I were Mathes, I'd write my opinion of THahn every week. It's his job, and his performance is there to view. If THahn want's to shun certain media outlets, that's his right I suppose (I might think differently if I were a sponsor or team owner). In spite of his faults, Mathes has done a lot to show the inner workings of the sport to the fans. It's too bad it takes 5 hours each week to cover 2.5 hours of material though.
Stephon wrote:
This: "It's too bad it takes 5 hours each week to cover 2.5 hours of material though." I listen to the archive on 1.5x or 2x...
This:

"It's too bad it takes 5 hours each week to cover 2.5 hours of material though."

I listen to the archive on 1.5x or 2x and skip the commercials. I really enjoy the show and him as host. I just think it could be 2-3 hours max.
You know you can just not listen to the whole thing right? Most media players have features such as "stop" and "pause" (if you google those terms I'm sure there will be an explaination for what they do) alternatively you could email Pulpmx and ask for a refund.
3/25/2016 5:10am
Pookie,Mrs Keefer,Britney C and a picture of Crazy Lady are needed NOW this thread has spun off the rails !!!!!!!

PULP is Incredible to a real moto fan.
3/25/2016 5:26am
500guy wrote:
I'm still mad at him for making them start the Chase Format.
Smile

I lived through the McGrath era so I am not against it but I understand. I'd argue you have to look at the whole body of work. I don't always agree with him but that's why he's good.
1-forty-8
3/25/2016 5:29am
Ya know that other thread about sx being boring.. This is how boring it's become. People are talking about something that really doesn't matter.. 2 guys don't like each other.. Big deal. Who gives a shit.

And just a little fyi Matthes, saying I'm not meant to talk about Tommy Hahn is still talking about Tommy Hahn. Is there not enough drama in your life that you had to kick the bee's nest?

And to the people saying Hahn should go on his show.. Why would he wanna give Matthes a ratings boost..? It makes no sense.

I can't believe this bullshit is still going on lol ridiculous.
gti
3/25/2016 6:26am
I dont think Tommy will win a main event this year. actually im very certain. I also dont think the 49 ers will win the superbowl. Isnt this ok to say?
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
3/25/2016 8:49am
It's all i listen to these days. Moto pod casts play when ever I'm driving or in my boats. Good stuff. If you and Pookie ever want a week vacation at one of my private beach houses on Sanibel during the summer months shoot me an email Steve.
GautThis
3/25/2016 9:03am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2016 9:05am
I don't know what the actual beef is between the two but it would be nice if they were to end it some day. I have worked around the Crossland team and the Cycle Trader team and I will admit that at first I thought Tommy wasn't a very social person. Turns out hes a pretty good guy and has always taken the time to help me out with video projects or just help out with any questions I had. I have a huge amount of respect for the guy and his family but I also understand that the business can probably be super frustrating as a rider.

As for Matthes I also respect the guy for what he does and I think he does a great job reporting for the sport. Not everybody is going to like what he has to say but he will report what he wants and to others it may be entertaining or whatever. I appreciate that he covers almost all of the riders and not just the top 3 and not sugar coating what's actually going on which is nice.

I know it sounds ridiculous to wish that everybody would just get along, but hopefully they can bury the hatchet and move on.
Brent
3/25/2016 9:12am
3 pages about how Tommy Hahn feels about a media person? Ok then...

Slow news day.
Mini Elsinore
3/25/2016 9:17am
526 wrote:
Pookie,Mrs Keefer,Britney C and a picture of Crazy Lady are needed NOW this thread has spun off the rails !!!!!!! PULP is Incredible to a real...
Pookie,Mrs Keefer,Britney C and a picture of Crazy Lady are needed NOW this thread has spun off the rails !!!!!!!

PULP is Incredible to a real moto fan.
Paging Yamaboy to the nearest red courtesy phone....
The Rock
3/25/2016 9:27am Edited Date/Time 3/25/2016 9:29am
Brent wrote:
3 pages about how Tommy Hahn feels about a media person? Ok then...

Slow news day.
This ^^^^^

No one responded to my Preston Petty donation question either. Guess these hard core fans are too busy discussing the drama of the week to care about a legend.
flarider
3/25/2016 9:34am
it not right that Matthes uses his media outlet to belittle people like Hahn, Grant, Diavolos and Sleeter, when they have no outlet to answer his...
it not right that Matthes uses his media outlet to belittle people like Hahn, Grant, Diavolos and Sleeter, when they have no outlet to answer his digs, doing it person to person is fair game, but through a media outlet, come on, It definitely damages these riders in the public's perception.,
Is the guys on NFL Today or ESPN saying Tim Tebow or Johnny Manziel are not "Top quality NFL QB's and aren't good enough to get a team to the Superbowl," truth or belittling?

Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
3/25/2016 9:49am
Matthes wrote:

Keep doing what your doing.
3/25/2016 10:10am
Matthes wrote:

Matthes, you are excellent at what you do. Our sport will always suffer due to our lack of not conducting it inline with other professional sports. You always speak your mind and don't hold back, refreshing to say the least. I am an avid listener and listed to all material you put out. I switched away from DMXS radio and never looked back. Sorry these moto guys don't like what you have to say, it seems we are the only sport that cant critique its athletes before feelings get hurt. You say the truth, and sometimes that hurts, but hey if you are not producing results then you only have yourself to blame. I mean look at football, all day long announcers are critiquing players. I think a lot of the problem stems from all these man friends telling them they are great when in reality some need a kick in the ass. Home school kids who never worked in a professional environment do-not understand the atmosphere of a workplace where you can be cut down and put into place. If I was a pro rider, I don't need 5 bros around me at all times telling me how great I am, utilize your team manager and mechanic. I don't even understand why you need your trainer there on race day but to say good job. We need to not be such "Sensitive Sally's" in this world/sport. Thanks Steve for all you do. Its like Kenny Watson said "Produce or cut loose" haha. Keep up the Tony A. sound drops, those never get old, I laugh every time.
visser62
3/25/2016 10:56am
If Michael Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser moved to our sport they would be crucified.
121ANM
3/25/2016 11:02am
FLmxer wrote:
It's all i listen to these days. Moto pod casts play when ever I'm driving or in my boats. Good stuff. If you and Pookie ever...
It's all i listen to these days. Moto pod casts play when ever I'm driving or in my boats. Good stuff. If you and Pookie ever want a week vacation at one of my private beach houses on Sanibel during the summer months shoot me an email Steve.
I like week vacations and beaches too. Tongue

Post a reply to: Always wondered about this - Matthes vs. THahn

The Latest