Aluminum tank builder ?

OldPro277
11/2/2019 11:32am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2022 6:00pm
I'm wanting a craftsman to replicate an 78 YZ125 tank for my Hannah inspired 1980 YZ250. I had retro fitted a 78 YZ125 tank with custom billet mounts and have used it that way for 2 seasons,looks absolutely great and was 1.5 pounds lighter, but I HATE the plastic tank. I used Caswell tank sealer ( it was a new Clarke tank) to help keep the graphics on but the sealer hasn't adhered to the plastic very well and now is cracked ,peeling off and floating around inside the tank . Can't have that and I'm just tired of the plastic tank hassle, so its time to go the OW route.

So, I contacted my buddy Karl Landrus (KLP) ,he's done a couple of swingarms for me and I've been tremendously pleased, and I've seen some aluminum tanks he's fabbed and they look awesome as well, however he seemed less then enthusiastic about doing a tank because of his time constraints. I'm not sure if it has something to do with not being back to 100 % since the fire he suffered awhile back or if he is just cutting back on his work load, but I want an aluminum tank,dammit !!!

I hate to bug him,and I'm going to call him one more time Monday to make sure he's not a player, but in the meantime I need to find someone else that can handle this.

Also, I wasn't sure if this should be in Moto, Old School, or Tech, it kinda qualifies for all ,lol.

Someone give me some direction here, please.
|
mxtech1
11/2/2019 12:04pm
It's quite realistic to have your '78 tank 3D scanned to create a model for 3D printing a tank out of AL or even Ti. You would probably have a little it of secondary processing to polish and drill/tap the petcock mount.

The thing I like about the 3D printing approach is that you can get the exact profile of the OEM tank. Whereas a fabricator is probably going to square off some corners and have less contouring to keep time and price realistic.

Anyways, something to think about. I wouldn't rule it out until you call a few reputable 3D printing companies that could walk you through their capabilities and give you a budgetary estimate.
slipdog
11/2/2019 12:54pm
I had a buddy recently tell me he was having a guy in India doing the fab work for an AL tank because he could t get anyone else to take the job. Quality looks too notch...

PTshox
11/2/2019 12:56pm
Contact info for that guy in India?
OldPro277
11/2/2019 1:04pm
slipdog wrote:
I had a buddy recently tell me he was having a guy in India doing the fab work for an AL tank because he could t...
I had a buddy recently tell me he was having a guy in India doing the fab work for an AL tank because he could t get anyone else to take the job. Quality looks too notch...

Slip, those look OUTSTANDING. Actually looks like the YZ tank I'm needing. How do I contact this guy ? Thanks !!

The Shop

slipdog
11/2/2019 1:12pm
I'll reach out for the contact and report back!
OldPro277
11/2/2019 1:18pm
slipdog wrote:
I'll reach out for the contact and report back!
You da man !! Thanks.

Mav PM'd me an alloy tank fabricator from Italy, I just emailed them as well. I'll report on their reply when I receive one.
Sir
11/2/2019 1:46pm
slipdog wrote:
I had a buddy recently tell me he was having a guy in India doing the fab work for an AL tank because he could t...

Really? There are no fabricators in the whole of the USA that could fabricate an aluminum fuel tank or there are no fabricators that would do it for the price your friend wanted to pay?
pdub187
Fantasy
2499th
11/2/2019 3:54pm
Sir wrote:
Really? There are no fabricators in the whole of the USA that could fabricate an aluminum fuel tank or there are no fabricators that would do...
Really? There are no fabricators in the whole of the USA that could fabricate an aluminum fuel tank or there are no fabricators that would do it for the price your friend wanted to pay?
"he could t get anyone else to take the job"

Seems pretty straight forward hey.
OldPro277
11/2/2019 4:17pm
slipdog wrote:

Sir wrote:
Really? There are no fabricators in the whole of the USA that could fabricate an aluminum fuel tank or there are no fabricators that would do...
Well I can only speak for myself,( and probably a lot of you guys that build your own race bikes) , but when I'm doing a Vintage build, cost is never a priority when it comes to something that I want that is difficult to find ,lol. That being said ,hopefully none of the possible tank fabricators are reading this post Tongue ,but I would expect to pay somewhere from 700-1000 for a tank based on what Karl and I spoke about a couple years back.
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
11/2/2019 4:43pm
slipdog wrote:

Sir wrote:
OldPro277 wrote:
Well I can only speak for myself,( and probably a lot of you guys that build your own race bikes) , but when I'm doing a...
Well I can only speak for myself,( and probably a lot of you guys that build your own race bikes) , but when I'm doing a Vintage build, cost is never a priority when it comes to something that I want that is difficult to find ,lol. That being said ,hopefully none of the possible tank fabricators are reading this post Tongue ,but I would expect to pay somewhere from 700-1000 for a tank based on what Karl and I spoke about a couple years back.
That’s going rate for an aluminum gas tank. You are right in the ballpark !

X-Fun in Italy makes gas tanks, but the welds aren’t the prettiest I’ve seen. Had one on my RM250 and it fit pretty well and looked great.

But the pics Slip posted look like the way to go, if the price is right !
OldPro277
11/2/2019 4:47pm
Sir wrote:
OldPro277 wrote:
Well I can only speak for myself,( and probably a lot of you guys that build your own race bikes) , but when I'm doing a...
langhammx wrote:
That’s going rate for an aluminum gas tank. You are right in the ballpark ! X-Fun in Italy makes gas tanks, but the welds aren’t the...
That’s going rate for an aluminum gas tank. You are right in the ballpark !

X-Fun in Italy makes gas tanks, but the welds aren’t the prettiest I’ve seen. Had one on my RM250 and it fit pretty well and looked great.

But the pics Slip posted look like the way to go, if the price is right !
X-fun is who Maverick emailed me about. I sent them an email to see if they'd do a 78 YZ. We'll see how they respond. Kinda wish Karl would reconsider, I like the dude and rather give him my money.
Chance1216
11/2/2019 7:15pm
OldPro277 wrote:
X-fun is who Maverick emailed me about. I sent them an email to see if they'd do a 78 YZ. We'll see how they respond. Kinda...
X-fun is who Maverick emailed me about. I sent them an email to see if they'd do a 78 YZ. We'll see how they respond. Kinda wish Karl would reconsider, I like the dude and rather give him my money.
I called Karl awhile back in regards to an aluminum tank for a 01 CR 250. He wasn't interested at all.
Moto Mofo
11/2/2019 7:36pm
Try Mastercross in Italy. They did an aluminum tank for my WR500 project.
Bruce372
11/2/2019 7:37pm
BTR moto Hayward.

He can even build you the whole bike custom. He sells custom cr500 parts as well
chuckie108
11/2/2019 9:02pm
Try Evan Wilcox in Big Bear California. I follow him on IG and custom fab with aluminum sheet metal is what he does. Just replicated a late 79’s works RM tank to fit a production chassis. The guys work is phenomenal.
OldPro277
11/3/2019 5:21pm
PTshox wrote:
Contact info for that guy in India?
Looks like that dude from India sells those on ebay for roughly $ 450 US.(very reasonable) I emailed him about my YZ125 tank that I need. He has 78 250 tanks on there but they have a funky flip-type of gas cap (like street bikes), although I'm sure he can fab up a threaded cap opening like the pics that Slip posted.

I'm going to try the guy in Big Bear too tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and keep them coming ,if possible. I will report back on what I find out from all these possible fabricators.
RF145
11/4/2019 12:12pm
JP Morgan is possible source. His work is outstanding.
OldPro277
11/6/2019 6:51am
Moto Mofo wrote:
Try Mastercross in Italy. They did an aluminum tank for my WR500 project.
Yo Mofo, were you happy with it ? They have what I need displayed on their website, but the pics really don't seem to be the exact shape of my 78 YZ tank. They certainly seem to be the least expensive so far.

When I get all my research done , I will post all the info I get back --as far as Cost and time frame. I will say that surprisingly there is a HUGE spread on both .
Moto Mofo
11/6/2019 8:24am
OldPro277 wrote:
Yo Mofo, were you happy with it ? They have what I need displayed on their website, but the pics really don't seem to be the...
Yo Mofo, were you happy with it ? They have what I need displayed on their website, but the pics really don't seem to be the exact shape of my 78 YZ tank. They certainly seem to be the least expensive so far.

When I get all my research done , I will post all the info I get back --as far as Cost and time frame. I will say that surprisingly there is a HUGE spread on both .
I’m very happy with the tank I got, especially for the price! Fits great. They can do pretty much anything you wanna do, so see if they will work with you if the pics you see aren’t quite what you want. I was told mine would take two weeks to manufacture, which seemed really fast. Ended up taking about a month, which is still more than reasonable, in my opinion.
LWC307
10/3/2020 8:03pm
slipdog wrote:

The guy that had these PE tanks made in India is in Australia. he sent the old tank above to this place in India to make them

https://enfieldcountyspares.com/product/new-suzuki-pe175-250-400-dirt-b…

they also have an ebay store and generally sell tanks cheaper on there.
10/3/2020 8:50pm
I was at a track last week and a guy had a rm 125 with a aluminum tank, he said his good friend does them, name of his shop is Medusa fab.
mooch
Fantasy
449th
10/3/2020 9:13pm
OldPro277 wrote:
Looks like that dude from India sells those on ebay for roughly $ 450 US.(very reasonable) I emailed him about my YZ125 tank that I need...
Looks like that dude from India sells those on ebay for roughly $ 450 US.(very reasonable) I emailed him about my YZ125 tank that I need. He has 78 250 tanks on there but they have a funky flip-type of gas cap (like street bikes), although I'm sure he can fab up a threaded cap opening like the pics that Slip posted.

I'm going to try the guy in Big Bear too tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and keep them coming ,if possible. I will report back on what I find out from all these possible fabricators.
chrisgg90
Fantasy
1950th
10/4/2020 3:05am
There is another guy in Italy, Bormi parts look them up on Facebook and give him a message. Real nice guy and His work is second to none.
Pink
10/4/2020 3:51am
slipdog wrote:

Sir wrote:
OldPro277 wrote:
I’m not sure of the specific tank you have in mind, but in general I can tell you the price is double or triple what you are willing to pay. I used to work for a custom motorcycle manufacturer, we got paid production pay and for a hand made tank paid me $800. They usually took me 1-2 days to make and he charged the customer $1800-2500. Call Wayne Ransom or Jessi James, there work is amazing but not cheap.
OldPro277
10/4/2020 6:47am
Sir wrote:
OldPro277 wrote:
Pink wrote:
I’m not sure of the specific tank you have in mind, but in general I can tell you the price is double or triple what you...
I’m not sure of the specific tank you have in mind, but in general I can tell you the price is double or triple what you are willing to pay. I used to work for a custom motorcycle manufacturer, we got paid production pay and for a hand made tank paid me $800. They usually took me 1-2 days to make and he charged the customer $1800-2500. Call Wayne Ransom or Jessi James, there work is amazing but not cheap.
Thanks for the help guys-- but my original post was back about a year ago and have already received 3 aluminum tanks from different sources . I've been wanting to report my findings , but with Covid cranking up back in March, it kinda slipped my mind until this post got revived,

1.) Enfield in India-- had them do my 78 yz125 tank. I had to send them a stocker for a "pattern" .I only had a brand new Clarke tank ,so I sent that, and a stock Yamaha cap so they could get the filler bung threaded correctly.
Tank got back to me in about 6 weeks, looked excellent and fit perfect, very ,very pleased. Only cost me approx $ 445.00---- now the bad news, they never sent back my original plastic tank or cap as they said they would, and the threaded fuel filler bung wouldn't accept an OEM cap . Cost me another $125 for a local aluminum fabricator to re-do the threads. After repeated attempts of trying to get my originals back, I basically gave up when they told me that all shipping out of the country was shut down due to Covid. Maybe it will just show up some day but I highly doubt it.
Overall, very happy with the tank.

2.) XFun in Italy-- Ordered one for my 08 Rm250, They actually stock those and had it to me inside of 2 weeks. Also looks great and fit well. Actually came with a set of 450Z shrouds --total cost was about $ 475

3) Local dude to me-- doesn't do it for a living but is quite a craftsman. Handbuilt one for a pit bike project, and although it was on an "experimental" basis, came out great and only cost $ 350.

4.) I did contact some of the earlier recommendations and found the following--- there have been guys with over a years lead time and prices as high as $2,000 +. Not sure how much nicer those 2,000 tanks are than the ones I got for 450-ish.

5.) Mastercross in Italy never replied to multiple emails I had sent

6.) Didn't know about those recent suggestions (Medusa Fab or Bormi) but may try them in future projects
RF145
2/27/2022 6:00pm
Has anyone been able to update any of the information in this thread?
Thank you

Post a reply to: Aluminum tank builder ?

The Latest