Altitude Preparation?

EddieC
6/3/2014 12:28pm
C.Worthy wrote:
Altitude training masks? Wonder if they actually make a difference [img]http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/titleboxing/ETMSK2-sec.jpg[/img] [img]http://marcmegna.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/training-mask.jpg[/img]
Altitude training masks? Wonder if they actually make a difference

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read and watch the video from the following link. Educate yourself, make good decisions, stop wasting your money.

http://mmatrainingbible.com/2012/08/21/the-truth-about-gas-mask-training/
6/3/2014 12:57pm
I'll throw in my 2 cents here since I see people trying to adjust to altitude the whole time. Generally, the fitter you are the better...
I'll throw in my 2 cents here since I see people trying to adjust to altitude the whole time. Generally, the fitter you are the better you adjust to altitude. However there's a difference between adjusting to altitude (basically feeling out of breath climbing the stairs) and actual altitude sickness. My buddy runs the oxygen lounge up here in Breckenridge (9,600 ft) and he consistently says there is absolutely no correlation between how fit someone is and whether they get altitude sickness. He's seen 300 lb heifers, whose only exercise is leaning out the window of their cars at the DD drive thru, with superfit kids who have come to race mountain bikes and it's the kids who have the altitude sickness. It sucks, but it's true. No matter how fit you are, if you are pre-disposed to get altitude sickness then you're basically screwed for the first 2-3 days after you come up from sea level.

Simon
disbanded wrote:
A few of my 'healthy' friends from Texas came up to visit and we spent the week in Breckenridge. I had to take 1 of them...
A few of my 'healthy' friends from Texas came up to visit and we spent the week in Breckenridge.

I had to take 1 of them to the Oxygen Bar and it fixed him up real quick. He was having headaches, dizzyness, etc.
A dose of pure oxygen and he was ready to go. Great smoothies too!

Nice - a good dose of the O2 usually sorts most folk out. That's my mate Guy who owns that place. He's just started riding moto too - BRAAAAAAAAP!!

Simon
TomZ
Fantasy
4402nd
6/3/2014 3:20pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2014 3:23pm
TomZ wrote:
Reading some of the posts above I see much of the information I have read over many years. I have learned over a period of 30+...
Reading some of the posts above I see much of the information I have read over many years.

I have learned over a period of 30+ years that altitude has a different effect on young vs old, highly trained vs couch potato and what you do when you arrive at altitude. Being a skier/snowboarder we have traveled to altitude many, many times. The young kids really felt it, the teens not as much and the oldest in our groups always felt it the most. The higher your level of fitness the less overall effect it has.

I train 4-5 days per week and have a very disciplined diet and hydration program but age is catching up to me.

Last winter my 16 yr old son and I skied some backcountry hike in terrain at 12,000 - 13,500 ft elevation. We went pretty hard the first day(it was a powder day) and for one of the first times in my life I felt the effects that night. Elevated resting heart rate, sleeplessness etc. By day four I had recovered fully and felt great but those days in between were tough. We skied each day but not nearly as hard as usual.

Adjusting to 6000 +/- ft elevation is much easier than 12k + but if it were me I would have flown directly to Denver and spent the entire week at altitude to adjust as much as possible. When races are won or lost on the smallest details, it may be the difference between hero and zero.
I'll throw in my 2 cents here since I see people trying to adjust to altitude the whole time. Generally, the fitter you are the better...
I'll throw in my 2 cents here since I see people trying to adjust to altitude the whole time. Generally, the fitter you are the better you adjust to altitude. However there's a difference between adjusting to altitude (basically feeling out of breath climbing the stairs) and actual altitude sickness. My buddy runs the oxygen lounge up here in Breckenridge (9,600 ft) and he consistently says there is absolutely no correlation between how fit someone is and whether they get altitude sickness. He's seen 300 lb heifers, whose only exercise is leaning out the window of their cars at the DD drive thru, with superfit kids who have come to race mountain bikes and it's the kids who have the altitude sickness. It sucks, but it's true. No matter how fit you are, if you are pre-disposed to get altitude sickness then you're basically screwed for the first 2-3 days after you come up from sea level.

Simon
I think there is some truth to the idea that you may be predisposed to altitude sickness. Not so much at 6000 ft as you might be at 10k +.

I believe there is some correlation between what you do prior to getting to altitude and what you do once you are there and the affects you may feel. Go too hard to fast and you are more likely to feel some altitude sickness.

Of course this is all based entirely on my experiences and those around me not actual science.

BTW Simon.......have spent a lot of time in Breck, Silverthorne and Kremmling. The situation I mentioned was in the backcountry up toward A-Basin. Very fond of the area and have good friends there.
Beast666
6/3/2014 9:23pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2014 9:24pm
When I raced pro in the late 80's I knew that a lot of the riders and mechanics made a bee line to Denver ASAP after the race prior to Thunder Valley so that they could used to and the bikes tuned for the altitude. Myself being from Albuquerque NM i did not have to prep nearly as much as the S Cal crowd.

In 87 I recall talking to Tommy Watts about how poorly his KX500 was running and he swapped out a couple of motors and was wondering if he could borrow my spare if he needed it. I told him to hop on my bike and he came back thinking that I also had an motor problem. Then I told him that it was the elevation and less dense air that caused the motor to be down on power.

With EFI the motors have less f a need for tuning that the carb motors have as the ECM can now compensate for the change in air density. This weekend the temps are listed to be around 70 with a chance of thunder storms. I am so ready for this weekend I will be there in my late 90's Kawasaki team shirt on.

The Shop

Post a reply to: Altitude Preparation?

The Latest