Altas had a demo at local track! Spun Some laps

Related:
Create New Tag

7/20/2018 9:39 AM

Went to etown Wednesday, walking to sign up and see a handful of atlas lined up! Walk over as they are setting up. I ask if there doing demos, sign up and few minutes later im out on the alta mxr. Initially was in mode 2, comes off corners predictably and strong but flattened out once off the corner. Went to map 3. Perfect. It rips! Super strong, predictable but gets with the program. Powerslide and wheelie on command

I hit a handful of jumps first lap out and it was zero adjustment period. Way easier to gauge speed than i would have imagined. I thought knowing what gear, sound, revs, etc was important but turns out you can just feel it pretty easily .

Not having a clutch or gears took for me zero time to get used it. I didnt reach for the clutch or shifter even once. Coming out of corners with zero hesitation or bogging Rev building etc was pretty damn cool.

All in all extremely impressed. If tracks had hookups so i didnt have to bring a generator id be so down for one once the price comes down that little bit more.

Many many advantages. Im not ready to trade my husky in yet for my needs currently, but if i had a backyard track where noise was a concern, done deal id have it today its that good.

Also map 3 it was every bit as fast as my 350 and map 4 was ridiculous. Every bit of a 450 with zero shifting and zero ramp up. Just all go.

|

7/20/2018 9:43 AM

hell yeah, good write-up. i'd love to ride one to see how they are. i'm waiting for an offroad version with longer battery life, if they can get one that can last up to 8 hours then i'd be sold.

|

7/20/2018 10:25 AM

peelout wrote:

hell yeah, good write-up. i'd love to ride one to see how they are. i'm waiting for an offroad version with longer battery ...more

You could probably get a good 9-10 hours out of the current model with how slow you ride!!!

Haha, love ya bro!!

|

7/20/2018 10:34 AM

Sounds bitchin!...I want one.

|

7/20/2018 10:41 AM

Just an FYI, but I have seen prices in the 7-8k range for a display or model that was used for a year.

I am hoping to buy land (40+ acres) in the next year or so and when I do I'm either getting a YZ 125 or an Alta. I guess where the land is, neighbors, etc. will influence what I get.

|

7/20/2018 10:41 AM

I should really buy one, but I want to see what the 2019 updates are and left over 18 prices. I have the back yard track with neighbors. I try to ride during 1st shift hours and weekends. We still run pitbikes with stock exhaust later in the day.
I would like to see spring forks or figure out which spring front end will work. Then sell the new take off front end.

|

7/20/2018 10:47 AM

mikec265 wrote:

I should really buy one, but I want to see what the 2019 updates are and left over 18 prices. I have the back yard track with ...more

The aers work really really well

|

7/20/2018 10:47 AM

I should have taken off work and gone. Would love to try one out.

|

7/20/2018 11:01 AM

they came to our facility a week or so ago on a sunday many rode them my kids rode them and well that isn't happening any time soon lol

|

7/20/2018 11:12 AM

I’d love an Alta eventually, I could actually have a backyard track then. Saw one in person at breezewood a few weeks ago and the finish on them is amazing. It is weird being on the track at the same time though because I feel like I have to look around more since I can’t hear them. That may just be me though.

|

Greg D.
2018 yz250f

7/20/2018 11:17 AM

Nice write-up and feedback. I have about 5 acres that could be used for a small play track out back, but worry about the neighbors getting fed up with it. Never took the electric steeds seriously, but perhaps I should!

|

7/20/2018 11:18 AM

wardy wrote:

they came to our facility a week or so ago on a sunday many rode them my kids rode them and well that isn't happening any time ...more

Can you explain? I do not follow? Like or dislike them???

|

7/20/2018 11:33 AM

mikec265 wrote:

I should really buy one, but I want to see what the 2019 updates are and left over 18 prices. I have the back yard track with ...more

The 2019 MXR will identical to the 2018 MXR. Not even BNG! The only difference will be the VIN.

2019's will be shipping to dealers soon.

|

7/20/2018 11:50 AM

I had a similar experience at Pala Raceway last weekend. You can check out my review here: https://altaownersforum.com/threads/demod-a-redshift-mxr-at-pala-raceway.285/

I thought map 2 was solid and smooth, map 3 had more low end than map 2 but ultimately felt flat at speed just like map 2, and map 4 had amazing power. The awesome thing about this bike is that your throttle hand is basically connected to the back tire. Its so easy to modulate and control that rear tire even in map 4. Its a fantastic bike, for sure.

|

7/20/2018 11:56 AM

By the way, Phil over on the altaowners boards dyno'd both the Alta MXR and the Alta MX. Link here: https://altaownersforum.com/threads/alta-redshift-mxr-and-mx-on-a-dyno-riding-maps-demystified.158/

In a nutshell, the MX and MXR have identical power curves in maps 1-3, but map 4 is where the MXR is vastly different.

Alta MXR
Photo

Alta MX
Photo

|

7/20/2018 11:59 AM

Here's a dumb question that I can't find an answer for: Is the throttle a fly-by-wire unit or do they use an actual cable? How heavy is the return spring? (Is there a return spring???? dizzy )

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

7/20/2018 12:17 PM

Falcon wrote:

Here's a dumb question that I can't find an answer for: Is the throttle a fly-by-wire unit or do they use an actual cable? How ...more

We just had a discussion about this on the alta boards. Its a fly-by-wire:

https://altaownersforum.com/threads/throttle-tube-odi-lock-on-grips.286/

|

7/20/2018 12:21 PM

Falcon wrote:

Here's a dumb question that I can't find an answer for: Is the throttle a fly-by-wire unit or do they use an actual cable? How ...more

It feels like an ordinary throttle, perhaps a bit more precise as there is no potential cable slack issues, but definitely returns as you would expect.

|

7/20/2018 12:22 PM

snydes wrote:

It feels like an ordinary throttle, perhaps a bit more precise as there is no potential cable slack issues, but definitely ...more

I would agree with this. It feels exactly like a throttle on a gas bike, albeit a bit smoother and I think it snaps back quicker.

|

7/20/2018 12:33 PM

Yeah i didnt notice anything out of the ordinary feel wise at all. Which is a good thing!

|

7/20/2018 1:14 PM

Sweet, thanks guys. I am really starting to think this bike is the future of MX. I might get one.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

7/20/2018 2:11 PM

Since there's no clutch (and no need for one in the conventional sense), is there any way to make the power more explosive when you want it? For example, if you want a little more oversteer in a corner or need to lift the front end rapidly to get over something.

|

7/20/2018 2:23 PM

Twist the throttle more??

|

7/20/2018 2:39 PM

Zachintosh wrote:

Since there's no clutch (and no need for one in the conventional sense), is there any way to make the power more explosive ...more

Map 4 is what I will use if I need that “shot out of a cannon” feel. There are other owners who feel map 4 is too much but for me it’s perfect for a tight SX style situation. The torque really compensates for the lack of a clutch.

|

7/20/2018 2:43 PM

Awesome, Alta is definitely making a great impression by showing up to local tracks for demos. I certainly appreciated getting to check one out at Milestone and I fully agree with OP’s post aside from reaching for a clutch, I was reaching the whole time lol.

|

7/22/2018 1:11 PM

I went from a 12T front sprocket to a 14T and it made my mxr way more rideable in maps 2-4.

Also helped with the power falling flat at higher speeds in maps 1-3

|

7/22/2018 2:29 PM

Honestly love the idea of less maintenance that’s probaly the number 1 pro for me. Only con is the price but I’m sure in a couple years that will come down. I don’t mind wrenching but I would most definitely rather spend my time riding. Performance wise it doesn’t seem like it lacks at all compared to 250. Can’t lie I do like the sound of a 2 or 4 stroke tho

|

7/22/2018 3:59 PM

Kyle_McNab wrote:

Honestly love the idea of less maintenance that’s probaly the number 1 pro for me. Only con is the price but I’m sure in a ...more

It absolutely doesn't give up anything to a 250 in anyway. Honestly no way it should be allowed in 250 class in my opinion. Map 3 and 4 rip and im on a 350.

|

7/22/2018 5:41 PM

Kyle_McNab wrote:

Honestly love the idea of less maintenance that’s probaly the number 1 pro for me. Only con is the price but I’m sure in a ...more

yz133rider wrote:

It absolutely doesn't give up anything to a 250 in anyway. Honestly no way it should be allowed in 250 class in my opinion. ...more

That’s impressive ... not surprised tho Alta is killin it

|

7/22/2018 5:52 PM

A bike was brought out to a track a year ago and someone actually raced one that day and every race (4 of them) the guy holeshotted..

|

Realtor/ Moto dad/ from Sacramento CA —> Coeur d’Alene ID