Alta was working on new body work before they closed shop

Edited Date/Time 4/4/2019 11:29am
John McInnis , former Industrial Design Lead at Alta, sent me these pics of the new shroud-forward body work Alta was working on right before they closed shop. The 2020 Redshifts were going to be refined and would have looked better. What a damn shame. RIP Alta Motors.

|
Press516
Fantasy
90th
4/3/2019 11:12am
I really thought Alta had a shot to make it...

I would say (and it matters NONE) that there is no reason I can see for the rear plates to bulge out as much as they do...

Still was not at all a bad looking bike considering how different it really was.
HackMan162
4/3/2019 11:16am
Better....yet still by far the ugliest MX bike to be produced in the last 20 years.
newmann
4/3/2019 11:20am
Press516 wrote:
I really thought Alta had a shot to make it... I would say (and it matters NONE) that there is no reason I can see for...
I really thought Alta had a shot to make it...

I would say (and it matters NONE) that there is no reason I can see for the rear plates to bulge out as much as they do...

Still was not at all a bad looking bike considering how different it really was.
Looks like they were planning for a twin exhaust. Better pitch. roll, yaw...Smile

It really was a shame to see them go away. Neat idea, obviously coming in the future from plenty of others and the tech could have been used on so many things other than dirt bikes. Not MY idea of a motocrosser, but a neighborhood stealth rider would have been a blast.
4/3/2019 11:45am
Hey Bryan, I must join up on the Alta Owners at some point, I always keep an eye on what's going on over there.

It's such a shame, I was so looking forward to buying a Redshift here in the U.K.

There is one for sale over here, but it's a 17 model MX, and I really wanted the MXR, but he is asking £8750 at the moment, a lot!.

I have some friends in the Air Force that's over here and thinking of maybe somehow shipping an Alta over, as I always look on the for sale section on Alta Owners and the prices are give away cheap.... I still would be up for buying one.

Anyways, keep up the good work bro. Cool

The Shop

OldYZRider1
4/3/2019 12:06pm Edited Date/Time 4/3/2019 1:51pm
I gotta wonder if the AMA/MX Sports hadn't shut ALTA out of proMX racing here, if they're outcome could have changed. They lost some potential marketing as a result which is so critical for a startup like theirs. IMO it couldn't have hurt to let them in. If they had done well or perhaps even had an unfair advantage, it could have sparked their marketing efforts, led to higher sales and maybe the USA could have another motorcycle manufacturer. Rules can always be tweaked as witnessed by about every other motorsport outside of AMA proMX. Electrics are so easy to change power characteristics on; the AMA/MX Sports could have changed the rules mid-season (which sounds unfair but the AMA's done it before) if Honda screamed too loud and threw a temper tantrum Wink .
mx 219
Fantasy
857th
4/3/2019 12:11pm
Why not just make it look like a regular bike? Honda didn't have any problem doing that.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
4/3/2019 12:12pm
Was anything different other than the shrouds? That's the only change I noticed.
kb228
4/3/2019 12:19pm
mx 219 wrote:
Why not just make it look like a regular bike? Honda didn't have any problem doing that.
Honda only had a prototype. No certainty(at least released to public) that the bike would hold up or handle well with that electric setup.

I agree with you tho. Honda is on the right track. Altas look fugly as hell.
4/3/2019 12:24pm
They should have Air Brushed a Cone pipe on it and installed a 2 stroke sound track they couldn't build them fast enough i bet !!!!!!!
4/3/2019 12:26pm
I cant wait for the big 6 to start selling e-mx bikes. As much as I love having a clutch and shifting, the thought of being able to ride without that is really intriguing. Hopefully within the next 5 years we start seeing them roll out.
4/3/2019 1:02pm
mx 219 wrote:
Why? A few reasons. Alta had to design a chassis from the ground up, and they obviously couldn't copy frame designs that other manufacturers used. They used the opportunity to design a frame that encompasses the motor, allowing the motor to be pushed backwards closer to center of gravity. Also, the frame actually acts as a heat sink for the motor and some other components. Also, by moving the motor rearward it allowed more room for a battery module that allows the bike to last at least a 30 minute hard moto with a skilled rider (much longer with a lesser skilled rider and/or slower paced riding type).

I'm skeptical of the CR-E prototype. The battery module appears small, so range is very questionable. Also, they've already stated they are aiming for 250f-like power, which is weaker than the Alta MXR. Also, what Honda showed was essentially a dream bike with thousands of dollars worth of works parts on it. There's absolutely no way Honda will sell the bike that way. Noone is going to spend $30K+ on the dirtbike. The bike will not perform as well as the Alta MXR and people were reluctant to spend 13K on one. It would be the same thing as if Alta displayed a MXR with 52mm Cone Valves, Trax Shock, billet triple clamps, etc etc. Its a pipe dream, and gets people drooling.
4/3/2019 1:03pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Was anything different other than the shrouds? That's the only change I noticed.
Shrouds, front number plate, front fender were all new.
Johnny Depp
4/3/2019 1:50pm
I gotta wonder if the AMA/MX Sports hadn't shut ALTA out of proMX racing here, if they're outcome could have changed. They lost some potential marketing...
I gotta wonder if the AMA/MX Sports hadn't shut ALTA out of proMX racing here, if they're outcome could have changed. They lost some potential marketing as a result which is so critical for a startup like theirs. IMO it couldn't have hurt to let them in. If they had done well or perhaps even had an unfair advantage, it could have sparked their marketing efforts, led to higher sales and maybe the USA could have another motorcycle manufacturer. Rules can always be tweaked as witnessed by about every other motorsport outside of AMA proMX. Electrics are so easy to change power characteristics on; the AMA/MX Sports could have changed the rules mid-season (which sounds unfair but the AMA's done it before) if Honda screamed too loud and threw a temper tantrum Wink .
I don't believe in coincidences, like the brand with the most clout in the AMA system recently releasing photos of their e-moto proto. You want to bet that new Honda slides right up to the AMA starting lines, "because we learned from our previous mistakes".
Dropbear
4/3/2019 2:21pm
Alta were shafted big time. They seemed from the outside they were on a roll. Its like someone wanted to buy time. I wonder who has bought their technology?
Bultaco
4/3/2019 2:31pm
mx 219 wrote:
Works proto. And did you see the first Honda prototype that was supposed to look a dinosaur? Or carved out of wood? Beyond fugly.

vandy509
4/3/2019 2:54pm
I gotta wonder if the AMA/MX Sports hadn't shut ALTA out of proMX racing here, if they're outcome could have changed. They lost some potential marketing...
I don't believe in coincidences, like the brand with the most clout in the AMA system recently releasing photos of their e-moto proto. You want to...
I don't believe in coincidences, like the brand with the most clout in the AMA system recently releasing photos of their e-moto proto. You want to bet that new Honda slides right up to the AMA starting lines, "because we learned from our previous mistakes".
Agree wholeheartedly with both of you. One other thing that really, really stinks here is DC and MX Sports not allowing them to compete at Loretta's in the Vet classes. Under the guise of "we need to make sure we evaluate them and get the rules right" before we allow them to compete at that level - what a crock of s**t. It all stinks of manufacturer politics. If Davey really wanted to evaluate how the Alta would do against other bikes that race was the perfect opportunity. They could have watched them race against (arguably) the best amateur vets in the country, right in front of their own eyes and they could have some really good data to go off of. Instead they come out with "oh, we'll let them race at local tracks and see how they do, as we're working on our decision". So you're telling me they would rather take the "word on the street" from local tracks than see them perform in front of their own eyes? I bet you that as soon as any of the big manufacturers put out a similar e-bike (looks like Honda is nearly there) that there won't be any problem with them racing on the big stage. Clearly MX Sports has no problem stifling innovation and competition when it comes from an outsider trying to break into the market.

One other thing - think about where four strokes started out - you think anyone could anyone have predicted how good they are now? Maybe, but probably not. Even if they could have and they would have made changes to the rules I seriously doubt it would have been enough to keep the playing field level as four strokes had a ton of development potential still and two stroke development has pretty much plateaued - other than perhaps DI. Same thing with electric bikes, I'm sure there sky is the limit right now on development, so even if they did limit them somehow, it likely would not be enough to keep the field level for long. And we all know that the AMA/MX Sports/whoever isn't going to come in later and make any changes to limit the bikes once the manufacturers are already making them.

Sorry for the long rant, guess I need to hop on the bike and go ride to burn off some steam!
4/3/2019 3:01pm
Dam I wish Tesla would pick up the pieces. Got a buddy who works there in Georgia. Sure hope he's sliding notes and ideas under Elon's door
JWACK
4/3/2019 3:14pm
Screw the plastic.!
Should have worked on reducing operating costs instead. Maybe just maybe they would still be in business.
R.EX
4/3/2019 3:59pm
#76 wrote:
Hey Bryan, I must join up on the Alta Owners at some point, I always keep an eye on what's going on over there. It's such...
Hey Bryan, I must join up on the Alta Owners at some point, I always keep an eye on what's going on over there.

It's such a shame, I was so looking forward to buying a Redshift here in the U.K.

There is one for sale over here, but it's a 17 model MX, and I really wanted the MXR, but he is asking £8750 at the moment, a lot!.

I have some friends in the Air Force that's over here and thinking of maybe somehow shipping an Alta over, as I always look on the for sale section on Alta Owners and the prices are give away cheap.... I still would be up for buying one.

Anyways, keep up the good work bro. Cool
There is two MXRs over there somewhere, you just have to find them. They were stolen from Lyndon Poskitt right before Erzberg Rodeo last year.
ccullins
4/3/2019 4:34pm
I don’t see that it would have made any difference. Only thing is they probably would have just spent a lot more money before going under.

They where serious about their Endurocross effort. The three rounds they made it to with Ty Tremaine they had at least 4 guys/mechanics/technicians there. Plus a couple vans. They weren’t scared to spend the $.

Quick funny story on that. We where pitted behind them at round #1. They stuck their loud genarater behind their van so it was basically in our pits. After listening to that thing for a couple hours I grabbed ahold of it and wheeled it over into their pits and said it was time for them to listen to it for awhile?. Starange it got stut off once it was over there. So much for a quite eco friendly bike..
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
4/3/2019 4:39pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Shrouds, front number plate, front fender were all new.
I see the difference in shroud and front fender, but I don't see it in the number plate. What am I missing there?
4/3/2019 4:57pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I see the difference in shroud and front fender, but I don't see it in the number plate. What am I missing there?
Its kind of a hybrid Honda/KTM style with the brake line routing of a KTM but the shape/style similar to a Honda. You can see it in the 5th picture in the first post.
4/3/2019 5:02pm
It does look better. Really is a shame they didn't make it.
bugnboo
4/3/2019 6:30pm
HackMan162 wrote:
Better....yet still by far the ugliest MX bike to be produced in the last 20 years.
And people say the 2010 up yz four strokes are ugly....
FerCzD
4/3/2019 8:46pm
Honda's look way beeter
RedRider785
4/3/2019 9:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/3/2019 9:22pm
These pics look a little different that the plastics that I have seen. I am a mold engineer and got to spin around the CAD models of the new plastics that we were quoting for Alta. They looked better than these.

Post a reply to: Alta was working on new body work before they closed shop

The Latest