Alta vs CR 250 Drag, roll on, and top speed vid

soren346
https://youtu.be/IDpD7psyhdY
Not sure if this was posted. Guy's kind of annoying but it's a cool comparison.
|
7/17/2018 9:48pm
The only way to equalize the race is the gear the CR250 to the same top speed as the alta - in this case I'd guess 2 tooth smaller front would be about the right "ratio"
With same weight riders

Then you would see a more accurate representation of the two

This same concept is why 250f's can and DO pull with 450's in drag races and roll races - up a speed where the 450 takes over.

Aside from the rest of the video - thanks for sharing! In real world usage on what people ride - the alta is extremely fast!

dimetime
7/17/2018 9:56pm
No shifting. Apples to oranges.

Weeeeeee! Power Wheels for everyone!
xr70
7/17/2018 9:56pm
WTF , that guy is annoying as fuuuuuck !

The Shop

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
7/17/2018 11:00pm
dimetime wrote:
No shifting. Apples to oranges.

Weeeeeee! Power Wheels for everyone!
I didn't watch the video but that made me laugh.
NorCal 50+
7/17/2018 11:20pm
This guy might have single-handedly ruined the coolness of electric dirt bikes by his commentary alone. He could do for the Alta what Brandon did for C class fairground motocross.
VRR7
7/18/2018 1:32am
MSRP $ 12495 CR250R 2005 about $2000 - You could buy 6 CR250R

MSRP $7999 new CRF250R - Then go for a long ride ! Wait 3 hours to recharge while you fill up in 30 seconds quick fill.
Weight 227 lbs

ALTA - Typical range in the city is about 60 miles - Flat out way less
Weight 275 LBS WEIGHT " From zero to top speed (around 72mph) there is a constant hard pulling torque that in our opinion, up to a certain speed, would have no problem keeping up with almost any production 250F ( But the extra $4500 one can do a lot to a 250F )

They all have there pros and cons - I watched the redshift in Ertzberg enduro it did ok - Torque a good thing weight not so good when they had to lift it and carry it over gnarly stuff. 2T worked way better lighter and plenty oif torque and power - I was thinking how would on the trail repairs work ? If your battery goes flat and you are remote ? Worse or better than current tech ? I figure petrol is way better suited for remote travel - Electric good for close to home work.

I think the Price is the biggest issue- It is what makes 2T's desirable running costs - Cost to replace battery ?

I remember doing RC cars with my kid - Batteries would last 15min ok then you swop out and another 15 mins and then you can charge the other one and wait - It became not worth traveling to a good place because useage time was so low and painful - Fuel RC cars whole another ball game much more fun , useable and desirable.

VRR7
7/18/2018 2:49am
Different power characteristics - The Electric motor starts off with High Torque and that tapers off V The 2 stroke that starts off with low HP and Torque and builds - Once can feel it while riding the experience is different the flat curve of the electric motor V the "power band" feeling of the 2 stroke - The 2 stroke building coming into power band till fall is a much more exhilarating feel than the flat line of the Electric - 4 stroke is more flat than 2 stroke but more exponential than Electric. That power band feel that people like over the power delivery of the 4 stroke is even more pronounced when going to electric.
MXD
7/18/2018 6:33am
I clicked off it right after he said that roached out poorly jetted 01 CR250 was putting out 60hp.
MXD
7/18/2018 6:36am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2018 6:37am
OK I lied, I watched more of it. Since when did Howard Cosell have a Chinese brother who did action sports announcing?
7/18/2018 7:42am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2018 7:50am
The Alta Redshift MXR is an amazing bike. Has the power of a 350f with the handling and nimbleness of a 125. Here's a clip of me at Pala (Fox) Raceway last weekend on the Amateur track. Most of this I was riding in Map 4 which has incredible power, but i switched to map 2 somewhere in the middle for 2 laps to try it out.

PS: After i got comfortable on the bike, i was spinning faster lap times on the MXR than my KX450.

zehn
7/18/2018 7:51am
lmao so many butthurt dudes in here
ktm300hater
7/18/2018 8:02am
The Alta Redshift MXR is an amazing bike. Has the power of a 350f with the handling and nimbleness of a 125. Here's a clip of...
The Alta Redshift MXR is an amazing bike. Has the power of a 350f with the handling and nimbleness of a 125. Here's a clip of me at Pala (Fox) Raceway last weekend on the Amateur track. Most of this I was riding in Map 4 which has incredible power, but i switched to map 2 somewhere in the middle for 2 laps to try it out.

PS: After i got comfortable on the bike, i was spinning faster lap times on the MXR than my KX450.

Make dirtbike noises while you ride. Lol
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1959th
7/18/2018 8:17am
The Alta Redshift MXR is an amazing bike. Has the power of a 350f with the handling and nimbleness of a 125. Here's a clip of...

So did you get one on order yet to join the 125 and 450 in the garage?

And WOW! that Cali dirt looks amazing....
7/18/2018 9:10am
Stefan Pierer Outlines KTM’s Massive Electric Future
Rennie Scaysbrook | October 18, 2017
E-mobility, hybrid technology and the not-so-soon end of combustion engines
Stefan Pierer
Pierer’s position is one that will see KTM at the forefront of electric motorcycle technology in the coming years.
KTM CEO Stefan Pierer today laid out some of KTM’s future plans that will see a massive shift towards electrically-powered machines and machine sharing amongst consumers. He made the comments at the media launch for the 2018 KTM Freeride E-XC electric enduro machine in Salzburg, Austria, and his thoughts clearly show KTM is moving to a future that combines the classic internal combustion engine with hybrid and electric technology.

Pierer said he doesn’t believe the internal combustion engine is doomed, saying, “You have to take into consideration where the raw materials are coming from (to make the batteries for electric vehicles). Secondly, nobody has the knowledge how to handle it (batteries) after accidents. In my opinion, as a bridge technology for the next decade, it will be the hybrid. It’s a mild hybrid and combustion engine. I think the combustion engine will not disappear in the next 20, 30 years.

“The power (electric) two-wheeler is the solution for urban mobility in the future,” Pierer said. “So, in that, we have a clear focus and a clear strategy. Part of our very successful existing sport motorcycling program in off-road or on-road, we are developing two-wheelers on an electric base between 250, 400 watts up to 15 kilowatts. That’s the range. We think in 10 years’ time in Europe at least 50 percent of the total fleet is electric. That’s a clear strategy, a long-term strategy, but to afford it, you need a very successful, classic combustion (engine) program to earn the money you can invest in the future.”

2018 KTM Freeride E-XC First Look
KTM’s Freeride E-XC is the first of many new models to feature an electric powertrain.
Bicycles and motorcycles, together as one
That future appears to be a one where the bicycle and the motorcycle will once again meet at a crossroads, much like they did at the start of the 20th century, as KTM has recently collaborated with German e-mobility/electric bicycle manufacturer PEXCO.

“The motorcycle is stepping down and the bicycle is going up, and they (will) meet each other. Then it’s like setting up a family. It was our long-term strategy to step in the electric e-bikes segment, but we didn’t have the plan to do it that quickly,” said Pierer. “Our vision and future development program is a small motorcycle in the future, with a pedal. That’s the long-term vision. In the next couple of years for sure, we will do a lot in that segment.”

Hubert Trunkenpolz, KTM’s Chief Sales Officer, also outlined KTM’s plans to integrate a fractional ownership, where you essentially rent a machine for an indefinite period with other users, thus sharing the cost.

“Electric-driven cars are expensive, so are motorcycles,” Trunkenpolz said. “We tried to find a smart solution to make the motorcycle or the Freeride E-XC easily accessible. We defined the price of 7,500 Euro retail. That is pretty much on the same level as the 250 Freeride F.

“We are on the same level in terms of the price. What we then did, is the battery and the charger comes extra (for the customer). We developed a lease system where customers can lease the battery and the charger with less than 50 Euros a month. They basically run about four years.

“This is around what fuel costs in a standard combustion engine. So, there is no disadvantage for a buyer who is buying a Freeride E-XC. There is another advantage for the consumer certainly because battery technology is rapidly changing and improving, so that battery the we introduced today has 50 percent more capacity than the last one. Therefore, the consumers can be always on top of the latest technology in changing batteries.”

The death of the 50
KTM
This wonderful little machine’s days are numbered.
One area of the market that will see substantial change and has launched the racing career of many an off-road champion is the 50cc motocross category, with KTM’s 50 SX machine right at the forefront of race wins. This will change however, with Pierer stating that the SX will make way for an all electric kids dirtbike.

“Within the next one or two years, we are already planning to bring the next product which will be a minibike for kids. We will replace the current 50cc range by so-called e-mini or ESX. So, two models in one that will replace that combustion two-stroke engine that we have in place at the moment.

“The very next one is then a crossover between bicycling and motorcycling. We call it the X-bike. Then on top of that, and this is already started and we will come to the market already next season, is electric bicycles under the brand name Husqvarna.”

It looks like there are interesting times indeed ahead for KTM and Husqvarna.
7/18/2018 9:12am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2018 9:14am
KTM is investing in electrics. Like it or not, it's the future.
The same thing that happened to the 2 strokes is going to happen to the 4 strokes.
4 strokers laugh now. Cry later.
murph783
7/18/2018 9:23am
I’m surprised everyone loves the power of the mxr so much. I rode one for the first time this weekend and wasn’t all that impressed. I mean it’s good, but not amazing like so many people say. I was definitely looking for some more low end hit. That said though once I got used to it I could definitely see myself going faster on the Alta with how smooth and controllable it is
7/18/2018 11:31am
murph783 wrote:
I’m surprised everyone loves the power of the mxr so much. I rode one for the first time this weekend and wasn’t all that impressed. I...
I’m surprised everyone loves the power of the mxr so much. I rode one for the first time this weekend and wasn’t all that impressed. I mean it’s good, but not amazing like so many people say. I was definitely looking for some more low end hit. That said though once I got used to it I could definitely see myself going faster on the Alta with how smooth and controllable it is
Did you ride it in Map 4? I felt that the MXR out accelerated my 450. In fact, on the Alta i was out accelerating basically everyone i came across. I was able to throttle chop it on the face of jumps just like my 450 and it behaved the same.

soren346
7/18/2018 6:21pm
40 wrote:
KTM is investing in electrics. Like it or not, it's the future. The same thing that happened to the 2 strokes is going to happen to...
KTM is investing in electrics. Like it or not, it's the future.
The same thing that happened to the 2 strokes is going to happen to the 4 strokes.
4 strokers laugh now. Cry later.
Does this sum up your first post? I have to admit I quit reading it when I noticed it never ended. Sorry.
WarrenMX
7/19/2018 10:11am
I love the Alta concept and could see myself getting one some time in the future, but not until they figure out a better looking design. Man its a fugly bike. Reminds me of those crappy knock off motocross toys your grandparents would buy for you as a kid. They were always supposed to look like one of the Japanese bikes, but never did.

7/19/2018 10:51am
I think it looks bad ass in person. And it's definitely bad ass to ride! And even more bad ass to pass all the hopped up 4strokes on Cheerful
NorCal 50+
7/19/2018 11:30am
The internal combustion engine will be with us for a while. There are 26 million ICEs in California alone, and about 250k electric vehicles.
It's still a boutique technology for rich people. About 70% of electric car owners have income of over $100k/year.
7/19/2018 11:43am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2018 11:43am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
The internal combustion engine will be with us for a while. There are 26 million ICEs in California alone, and about 250k electric vehicles. It's still...
The internal combustion engine will be with us for a while. There are 26 million ICEs in California alone, and about 250k electric vehicles.
It's still a boutique technology for rich people. About 70% of electric car owners have income of over $100k/year.
I wouldn't classify $100k/year as anywhere near rich, especially in California.

As the battery technology advances and production scales, prices will come down. I'd bet in 5 years the price for a new Alta will be below $10k OTD, right in line with current new 450's.

Post a reply to: Alta vs CR 250 Drag, roll on, and top speed vid

The Latest