Alta demos at Glen Helen

Edited Date/Time 3/27/2018 11:12am
Alta was out in full force at Glen Helen this past weekend for the Trans Am Vet Classic. They were there all day Saturday and Sunday with 4-5 of their bikes on hand and were giving demo rides to anybody who had a helmet and would sign a waiver. I was pitted nearby and saw, literally, hundreds of people getting rides on the bikes over the two days.
I'm curious if anyone here got to ride one, and their thoughts on it. For me, it was the first time I saw one up close and I got to spin 5-6 laps on a little track they had set up. A couple of reps (techs?) seemed to want a fairly in depth debrief from me when I pulled off the track.
Anyone ride an Alta for the first time this weekend? If so, what'd think?

|
aeffertz
3/26/2018 9:40pm
I think it's time for a new rear tire on that last one!
Pirate421
3/27/2018 2:14am
Have not ridden one but want to try the mxr. What did you think?
Cygrace74
3/27/2018 4:15am
Not the first time for me since I regularly ride and race a Redshift MX and it's more fun than my 450, and the MXR is going to be a lot of fun this year!
3/27/2018 8:25am
Pirate421 wrote:
Have not ridden one but want to try the mxr. What did you think?
Basically, I was amazed at "normal" it--an electric motorcycle--felt to ride. Normal in the sense of within a minute or two I was comfortable hitting small jumps, mildly charging corners, and sorta skimming rollers. Twist the throttle and it goes forward like every other motorcycle I've ever ridden...just sounds like a giant RC car... One thing that stood out to me was engine braking, which was fairly significant. The chassis, suspension, and ergonomics felt, again, very "normal."
In talking with the techs/reps, I can see there are lots of nuances to riding one--changing maps on the fly, throttle manipulation, etc...
A couple hours riding and adjusting/learning and I could see racing one. Honestly, it takes me about that long switching between 4 strokes and 2 strokes.

The Shop

loftyair
3/27/2018 8:44am
If I could take the top half of that motor off, charge it while im out riding 15-20 minutes, come back and do a swap out and rest for a bit. That would be sweet for the weekend track guy. The bike would save alot of top-end weight, which I think is its worst trait, at the moment.
moto314
3/27/2018 11:12am
I rode one and was very impressed! Like mentioned above the engine braking on maps 3-4 was too much for my liking. If you could put the power from map 3 with the engine braking from map 2 it would be prefect! Pretty much felt like a very quite 350 with an auto clutch. The track was too small to really open it up so may be different on big hills or big jumps.

Post a reply to: Alta demos at Glen Helen

The Latest