Alta at Erzberg Rodeo

Related:
Create New Tag

5/8/2018 3:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/8/2018 4:18 AM

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/racing/alta-motors-erzberg-rodeo-rumor

Ok, it's just a rumor, but I'd really like to see how the bike works in that kind of stuff!

Man, this electric bike thing is gaining some momentum. Maybe all the wishes that fourstrokes should go away become true.. just not in favour of twostrokes but electric bikes, haha
|

5/8/2018 4:16 AM

Im guessing Lyndon Poskitt it having a go... been all over his social media. Wonder ic it will have enough battery to clear Carls Dinner.

|

5/8/2018 5:28 AM

philG wrote:

Im guessing Lyndon Poskitt it having a go... been all over his social media. Wonder ic it will have enough battery to clear Carls Dinner.

It will be interesting how far it / whoever riding it gets, that's for sure.

Given that it's (very) rare for more than 5 to 10 to reach the finish, before the cut off point, the battery capacity 'question' may not be much of an issue. Well, I'd think none at all. Lyndon's a hell of personality and very, very fine Rally rider / World Traveller, but I'm a bit unsure as to how he will go in such an event as The Iron Giant.

Good luck to him (and whoever else they have) and Alta.

|

5/8/2018 7:59 AM

Well considering he tried it on his KTM Rally 450 last year, I think the Alta will be welcomed with open arms.

Eric Peronnard said on Pulp last night one of our Americans would be giving it a go on the electric bike

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

5/8/2018 8:08 AM

Doesnt the battery only last 30-45 mins? Thats not even halfway point...

|

5/8/2018 8:11 AM

The battery would make it longer than I would at Erzberg

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

5/8/2018 8:20 AM

That bike weighs waaaay too much to be dragging/man handling through difficult sections of an extreme Enduro.

|

5/8/2018 8:22 AM

The bike is too heavy for a tough endouro ..... just my opinion.

|

5/8/2018 8:50 AM

matze wrote:

Doesnt the battery only last 30-45 mins? Thats not even halfway point...

If longevity doesn't matter you can squeeze more kWh out of a Li-ion battery. But I'm wondering too if the bike could complete the race even with an Erzberg specialist on it. Gomez won the event last year in little over 2h. Don't think the Alta can go that long even with a modified battery

|

5/8/2018 10:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/8/2018 10:13 AM

Ty Tremaine rides for Alta and in his contract any race over 30 mins, he can race whatever bike he wants. That being said Alta couldn’t finish Erzberg, unless he had more than one bike

|

Dumpstin231

5/8/2018 11:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/8/2018 11:42 AM

matze wrote:

Doesnt the battery only last 30-45 mins? Thats not even halfway point...

I don't know. There's a lot of sections there that are off throttle or very little throttle. It's also got a ton of torque so it doesn't have to be ridden wide open. I don't think it makes the 2 hour mark but put it on the most mellow map and see what it does. Some guys on here have said that it lasts over an hour doing trail rides.

Is there a way to kill the battery while riding it? It wouldn't be hard to shut it off every time you have gravity on your side.

|

5/8/2018 1:33 PM

Stuntman949 wrote:

The battery would make it longer than I would at Erzberg

Same

|

5/8/2018 1:41 PM

Racerxx wrote:

The bike is too heavy for a tough endouro ..... just my opinion.

Bike weighs ~260 lbs and it's all down low. What's a 450 trail bike with fluids weigh in comparison?

~240? + 3 gallons of gas + 1 liter of oil + 1 liter of coolant = ~260lbs

Pretty close. A 300 2 stroke saves about 15 lbs or so.

It's really just the range.

the bike does have regenerative braking though, so every time the bike is going downhill you gain a little bit. 2 weekends ago my buddy rode his til it was absolutely empty - 38 miles off road(desert trails) - and then had my buddy tow him back to camp for a mile or two, and when he got to camp he was able to ride it around again due to the regen.

Erzberg's course(from googling) says it's about 18 miles. If Alta has the new mxr battery, or even some sort of factory battery in there I'd say it's doable(for a pro hammering it), though it would be close.

|

5/8/2018 2:51 PM

Doesnt really matter how the bike does. Since very few finish anyways, if it doesnt make it, it wouldnt be percieved as a fail. If it does make it, it will be an epic win.

|

5/8/2018 4:02 PM

Get used to it. It's energy content is about equal to a tank of gas, and on Map 1 or 2 (which will be enough in the rocks) it really saves power. The real upside is the power management and the rider's ability to concentrate.

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

5/8/2018 4:15 PM

Johnny Depp wrote:

Get used to it. It's energy content is about equal to a tank of gas, and on Map 1 or 2 (which will be enough in the rocks) it really saves power. The real upside is the power management and the rider's ability to concentrate.

...and no exhaust pipe to destroy in Carls Diner!

|

5/8/2018 4:23 PM

Johnny Depp wrote:

Get used to it. It's energy content is about equal to a tank of gas, and on Map 1 or 2 (which will be enough in the rocks) it really saves power. The real upside is the power management and the rider's ability to concentrate.

Its energy content is closer to half a tank of gas at best.

|

5/8/2018 5:37 PM

Johnny Depp wrote:

Get used to it. It's energy content is about equal to a tank of gas, and on Map 1 or 2 (which will be enough in the rocks) it really saves power. The real upside is the power management and the rider's ability to concentrate.

Spizzy wrote:

Its energy content is closer to half a tank of gas at best.

About a full tank seems right. Maybe a hair shy, how many bikes can go wide open around Glen Helen for an hour straight? 30+2 leaves the pros right around empty, and it's been reported a fast guy at a fast, hilly track like GH, the battery will last about 30-45 minutes.

|

5/8/2018 5:45 PM

Why hasn’t the Alta been tested at Glen Helen? Is it because the Alta’s know that the load from the GH elevation will destroy the battery time. This to me is why the Alta can not compete at Erzberg.

|

5/8/2018 5:48 PM

I was being rather generous in my 1/2 tank assessment. I can only go by my no talent self riding my 350 and my Alta back to back. Maybe a pro carries more speed and lessens the power depletion vs an old guy like myself.

|

5/8/2018 6:25 PM

Spizzy wrote:

I was being rather generous in my 1/2 tank assessment. I can only go by my no talent self riding my 350 and my Alta back to back. Maybe a pro carries more speed and lessens the power depletion vs an old guy like myself.

Fair enough. I've only spun a couple laps on a flat track and heard other opinions.

|

5/9/2018 7:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/9/2018 7:15 AM

An Alta Enduro has already won a Hare Scramble with 1:19 track time in the 50c class in TORCS.That is without the newer MXR battery. 2-3 hours have been reported for trail riding. Spizzy, are you considering it empty when the light flashes, or when there is no more power? You don't have the MXR do you?

https://enduro21.com/index.php/extreme/3251-definitely-ready-to-go-alta-to-race-erzberg

It looks like they have developed a new map for 0 wheelspin which should stretch the power more. It will be interesting, I don't know if there is any time to charge or change batteries?

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/events/erzbergrodeo-2016-red-bull-hare-scramble May 27- June 3 2018

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

5/9/2018 5:35 PM

I do not have MXR, and routinely ride it until it has nothing left to give.

|

5/9/2018 5:43 PM

Racerxx wrote:

The bike is too heavy for a tough endouro ..... just my opinion.

p0wn wrote:

Bike weighs ~260 lbs and it's all down low. What's a 450 trail bike with fluids weigh in comparison?

~240? + 3 gallons of gas + 1 liter of oil + 1 liter of coolant = ~260lbs

Pretty close. A 300 2 stroke saves about 15 lbs or so.

It's really just the range.

the bike does have regenerative braking though, so every time the bike is going downhill you gain a little bit. 2 weekends ago my buddy rode his til it was absolutely empty - 38 miles off road(desert trails) - and then had my buddy tow him back to camp for a mile or two, and when he got to camp he was able to ride it around again due to the regen.

Erzberg's course(from googling) says it's about 18 miles. If Alta has the new mxr battery, or even some sort of factory battery in there I'd say it's doable(for a pro hammering it), though it would be close.

I have not heard anything about regenerative braking...

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

5/9/2018 6:09 PM

BobPA wrote:

I have not heard anything about regenerative braking...

They do have regen braking.

|