Alpinestars tech 7 v tech 10

mxracer591
Edited Date/Time 8/28/2022 9:28pm
I know this topic has been done before but looking for more insight. I’ve been running tech 7s for a few years. Never had any issues, boots are comfortable, price is great, etc. A few weeks ago I came up way short on a double. Ended up with a displaced fracture of medial malleolus of my left tibia.

As I sit here on the couch dreaming of getting back to riding, I can’t help but wonder if the tech 10 would have prevented this? Obviously I’ll never know now… but for future reference, do I shell out the extra cash for the better boot? Any personal experience or advice? Anyone with a similar injury know how long it was until they could ride again? I’m 3 weeks into crutch life today. Have an appointment Monday to check on progress.
|
sandtrack315
8/27/2022 5:52pm
Hard to say. Might have stopped it, might have transferred the force elsewhere too though. I like the rigidity of the 10s over the Fox Instinct, but I do miss the feel of the Instinct for breaking and shifting. Have not tried the 7s. Only way to know is shell out the $. If you don’t like them, eBay them.
cwel11
8/27/2022 7:00pm
mxracer591 wrote:
I know this topic has been done before but looking for more insight. I’ve been running tech 7s for a few years. Never had any issues...
I know this topic has been done before but looking for more insight. I’ve been running tech 7s for a few years. Never had any issues, boots are comfortable, price is great, etc. A few weeks ago I came up way short on a double. Ended up with a displaced fracture of medial malleolus of my left tibia.

As I sit here on the couch dreaming of getting back to riding, I can’t help but wonder if the tech 10 would have prevented this? Obviously I’ll never know now… but for future reference, do I shell out the extra cash for the better boot? Any personal experience or advice? Anyone with a similar injury know how long it was until they could ride again? I’m 3 weeks into crutch life today. Have an appointment Monday to check on progress.
I tried the 7s a few years ago, cased a triple and was lucky to not seriously injure myself but could feel the shock up through my leg. Now in tech 10s and SG12s before that. No boot will prevent every injury. Hell I’ve broken an ankle in SG12s but if you receive a foot injury wearing the top of the line boot, you won’t have wonder if the better boot would’ve prevented it.
mbw479
8/27/2022 7:03pm
Keep telling people tech 10’s are better, I don’t want the price of tech 7’s going up.

The Shop

wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
8/27/2022 8:00pm
The ankle support on the 10 is way better than the 7. I don’t know if that would have prevented your injury or not. Sidi atojo has better ankle support that the tech 7 too. Sg12 looks like it does as well but I have not worn them on a bike to say for sure. Sidi crossfire 3 looks like it has ankle support but it really doesn’t.
8/27/2022 8:01pm
Rode at the track today with my 7’s. Cased a big jump twice! No problem. I also have sg12’s. They are great also.
Sawfish
8/28/2022 12:31am
I ride desert with tech 7’s and I’m pretty confident in the protection they offer. I’ve gotten my feet blasted off the pegs clipping rocks at speed and haven’t gotten any serious injuries from it (knock on wood).
bvm111
8/28/2022 12:41am
just get SG12s and forget about it, better boot, better quality, and last forever!
Wildeye511
8/28/2022 2:28am
I just cant do the bootie on the 10's. I really wanted to like them, but the boot feels so bulky to me compared to the 7's. Just got rid of my Sidi SRS due to being too tight, but I can tell they have great support. I would go with what is comfortable to you.
Tuplavee
8/28/2022 3:37am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2022 3:42am
Had medial malleolus fracture last year, bad case with Astars Tech 7s.

Bought Sidi Atojos after which limit well ankle flexion and extension at least in normal riding. They basicly dont need any break in time. I did lose some degrees of full movement from my ankle and I doubt if I could ride with less supporting boots at all. 4 weeks after fracture I could already normally walk with Atojos, which I couldnt do with Tech 7s

I did try SG12s but they felt too bulky and stiff out from the box and still didnt seem to have as good flexion /extension limits as Atojos.
Next boots will be Atojos again OR Tech10s as they might be a bit comfier. Havent tried though.
Atojos do have very hard toe box also from inside, my only minus... Did lose a toe nail already😁

yamahaha131
8/28/2022 4:45am
mxracer591 wrote:
I know this topic has been done before but looking for more insight. I’ve been running tech 7s for a few years. Never had any issues...

cwel11 wrote:
I tried the 7s a few years ago, cased a triple and was lucky to not seriously injure myself but could feel the shock up through...
I tried the 7s a few years ago, cased a triple and was lucky to not seriously injure myself but could feel the shock up through my leg. Now in tech 10s and SG12s before that. No boot will prevent every injury. Hell I’ve broken an ankle in SG12s but if you receive a foot injury wearing the top of the line boot, you won’t have wonder if the better boot would’ve prevented it.
This was literally my same experience at club mx.
Meister
8/28/2022 6:28am
Long time instinct wearer, but came across these on marketplace. New never worn won in a raffle.

I'm apprehensive. Way stiffer than my instincts. Little bulkier with the bootie. Mildly tempted to sell n find another pair of instincts. I'm also the guy who has been wearing fly gear with fox boots, so the astars are better fit there lol..
yz133rider
8/28/2022 6:34am
Meister wrote:
Long time instinct wearer, but came across these on marketplace. New never worn won in a raffle. I'm apprehensive. Way stiffer than my instincts. Little bulkier...
Long time instinct wearer, but came across these on marketplace. New never worn won in a raffle.

I'm apprehensive. Way stiffer than my instincts. Little bulkier with the bootie. Mildly tempted to sell n find another pair of instincts. I'm also the guy who has been wearing fly gear with fox boots, so the astars are better fit there lol..
These are night and day more protection than instincts.
austin_bo
Fantasy
239th
8/28/2022 12:05pm
Tech 7s feel a lot like Instincts to me. Good shifter/brake pedal feel, very comfortable... both characteristics are due to the boot being soft. If you want more protection, it makes sense that a stiffer boot would give you that, but at the expense of sacrificing bike feel... ie, Tech 10 and SG12. Everyone on this forum swears by the SG12, but I find them stiff and clunky to the point where I might make a mistake on the bike. I also like getting new boots every 18 months or so, so I don't need it to last 10 years like SG12s do.
wwdiii
8/28/2022 1:07pm
Wildeye511 wrote:
I just cant do the bootie on the 10's. I really wanted to like them, but the boot feels so bulky to me compared to the...
I just cant do the bootie on the 10's. I really wanted to like them, but the boot feels so bulky to me compared to the 7's. Just got rid of my Sidi SRS due to being too tight, but I can tell they have great support. I would go with what is comfortable to you.
Same here, that’s why I went with 7’s. I have a pair of SIDI’s under my work bench in the garage I think I will like if I ever get them broken in. I keep forgetting I have them. That and it’s been to damn hot in Southeast Texas to ride.
MX558
8/28/2022 2:41pm
I was an SG12 guy for years until they redesigned their boot and I have never liked their metal toe . Three of us all broke ankles within 2 months of each other with that metal toe guard hooking on stuff . I tried the 10s but think they're made cheap . I like the 7s the best
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
8/28/2022 3:27pm
MX558 wrote:
I was an SG12 guy for years until they redesigned their boot and I have never liked their metal toe . Three of us all broke...
I was an SG12 guy for years until they redesigned their boot and I have never liked their metal toe . Three of us all broke ankles within 2 months of each other with that metal toe guard hooking on stuff . I tried the 10s but think they're made cheap . I like the 7s the best
It isn’t just the metal toe. The welt sole can get hooked anywhere around the perimeter.
MX558
8/28/2022 8:04pm
MX558 wrote:
I was an SG12 guy for years until they redesigned their boot and I have never liked their metal toe . Three of us all broke...
wrc777 wrote:
It isn’t just the metal toe. The welt sole can get hooked anywhere around the perimeter.
Totally agree, other than that they're probably the best boot out there
MPJC
Fantasy
704th
8/28/2022 9:28pm
I recently got a pair of TCX comp evo. Very happy with them. Good balance of protection and feel.

Post a reply to: Alpinestars tech 7 v tech 10

The Latest