Alpinestars tech 5 reviews? Update

Related:
Create New Tag

8/11/2018 12:39 PM

I'm in the new boot market and wondering if anyone has any reviews on the tech 5's. Back in the day I had some Fox Forma's(96), I had some Astar tech 8 that I really liked and then I had the first generation Tech 7's that I hated. I did try a pair of 5's on and they reminded me of the first gen 7's. Super stiff to me and a have a buddy that said he loved his first gen 7's but he's like a size 9 and I'm a 12. Maybe just personal preference. Being old now and not wanting to break the bank, I'd like to hear any reviews if anyone has a pair. Thanks in advance.

|

8/11/2018 1:25 PM

They're ok, I got mine in January, The soles are kinda chewed up (I ride with stock KTM pegs), I ride every other weekend.

First ride in the outer sides of the toebox stripped themselves of whatever they use to make the boots look pretty (I have the red white and blue ones) So they don't look that great now but still function good.

2nd from the bottom strap on each boot has given me so many problems, it never wants to stay latched.

If I could do it over I'd save my money for a pair of SG10s or 12s.

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

8/12/2018 6:56 AM

I went from some old wore out tech 10S to some new tech 5, was trying to save some $. Have probably 20 rides on them this year, holding up well for me. I was told the only difference between the 5 and 7 is an extra flap and the 7 has metal buckles, which you can add to the 5. I like the 5 a lot, but would step up to the 10 next time, as i loved the feel of the booty insert.

|

8/12/2018 5:30 PM

Buy anything but astars. Theyll last longer

|

8/12/2018 7:40 PM

The tech 7 is quite a bit better for not a lot more money. It gets you the aluminum buckles, floating hinge on the outside, floating shin plate, two piece sole so you don’t have to change the entire sole out. Super comfortable right out of the box.

|

8/12/2018 8:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/12/2018 8:57 PM

I just got some tech 7s this year and I came from the tech 3. I almost went with Gaerne because I hated those tech 3s since the day I bought them. The tech 7 is 100x more comfortable and the new style latches are way easier.. I'm really happy with them. I wont buy cheap boots again. Highly recommend the tech 7s.

|

8/12/2018 10:04 PM

I have tech 5's and I'm pretty happy with them. Been running them since April and the soles have a little bit of wear but not too bad, now just scuffed up and I'm running stock yz250f pegs.

I went to my local shop and tried on every brand of boots they had, astars, gaerne, sidi etc and the astars fit me the best.

I don't have any problems with the second buckle from the bottom coming undone but it doesn't feel like it clips properly either. My boots are the black ones and still look pretty good

|

8/13/2018 4:38 AM

100% go with the 7s over the 5s

|

8/13/2018 5:51 AM

I got tech 5s to save some money last year getting back into the sport since I was buying everything at once. I used them for a little over a year and sold them this past May. They were good boots and always seemed fairly comfortable to me. They had about 40 hours on them when I sold them, and they had the soles a bit chewed but still had plenty of life left. Someone mentioned the second from bottom buckle and I agree, I had some problems with them lining up, they never wanted to sit right and sometimes caused a pressure point.

If you have Ankle problems i would stay away from them. The reason I sold my Tech 5s and bought SG12s was that I cased a few big jumps and instantly had some ankle pain. I let it go a few times but when my ankles started hurting from normal jump landing I decided to upgrade.

Overall I think they are a good boot for the money but once they break in they do not offer a ton of ankle support.

|

I'm not an actual kid
Red Bud Vet Fest 2020: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gpxS0KgQFc

District 14
2017 KTM 150

R.I.P. Steel City

10/8/2018 3:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/8/2018 3:11 PM

Well I went with the '19 alpinestars tech 7. I haven't had a chance to ride in them yet. Got a killer deal on them had $250 worth of Amazon gift cards from my work. So I've got $100 in them. Photo
Photo
Photo

|

10/8/2018 3:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/8/2018 3:22 PM

Should go good with super hard to find tld camo. Well hard to find in Dad bod size. Photo

|