Along the lines of What Was Your First Moto Win...

Related:
Create New Tag

2/15/2019 7:19 PM

Who was the fastest, or semi or very well known rider you beat in a moto at some point?

These pros had to be a beginner at some point so you know someone beat him in a moto in their amateur careers.

|

2/15/2019 7:44 PM

I beat RC to the buffet once

|

2/15/2019 9:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/15/2019 9:07 PM

I passed Steve lamson back when i was on a novice 125... he might've been on an xr70 but still

|

"If you feel in control, you're not going fast enough" ~Mario Andretti

2/15/2019 9:35 PM

I grew up racing Jed Beaton when I started racing. I could hold onto him for like a lap or two laps but would only beat him when he crashed since the races are short. We trained together when we were 9-12 years old. Now he is racing mx2 in the GPs for factory Husqvarna along with Olsen.

|

2/15/2019 10:05 PM

There have been pros out at Pala on the main track at the same time as me and I pulled off before they passed me again. Pretty sure that counts as a win.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

2/15/2019 10:48 PM

smashingpumpkins167 wrote:

There have been pros out at Pala on the main track at the same time as me and I pulled off before they passed me again. Pretty sure that counts as a win.

lol. Totally!

|

2/15/2019 10:52 PM

Colton Facciotti used to come down to a local track every once in a while when we were back on 80s, got the best of him a couple times but he definitely won some too!

|

2/15/2019 10:58 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/15/2019 10:59 PM

My first big win probably came at some local Glen Helen race but I beat some Lithuanian kid (Mat Inda) that ended up being one of my good friends and he eventually went on to race for Lithuania at the MXDN in Lommel.

|

2/16/2019 3:46 AM

I'll let you know when I actually win a damn race ?

I remember my first podium finish at Glen Helen a few years ago when I first moved up to vet B. That 3rd place felt great.

|

A wise man once said nothing

2/16/2019 6:03 AM

I passed Guy Cooper like he was standing still.

He was ACTUALLY standing by the side of the track talking to someone. I'm still counting it.

|

If it ain't yer's don't take it, If it ain't the truth dont say it, If it ain't right don't do it...Marcus Aurelius

2/16/2019 10:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2019 10:08 AM

Back in 1985 I was racing the 125 amateur (also known as B or intermediate) in the northeast and New England area. There was a racer that had the #369 who was also in that class, he would usually finish mid pack or maybe top 10. He progressed in his racing to make expert class and win a championship also. I'll get to the point, this guy was in fact Doug Henry. He got a relatively late start in MX, which makes what he accomplished all that more amazing. And a bunch of us had a front row seat to watch it all.

|

THERE IS NO SECOND MOTO IN LIFE!

2/16/2019 11:06 AM

LOL. I gave Jimmy D all he could handle at a private track once. He was on a 65 and I was a 125B rider... He was doing jumps that I would not.

|

2/16/2019 11:07 AM

The only one i remember being in a race with that later went on to be a pro racer was Heath Voss

|

2/16/2019 2:50 PM

A local bike shop had free sausages one Saturday morning, I pushed in front of a Moto gp champion.
I am sure that counts as a big win to be in front of a world champ!

|

2/17/2019 8:56 AM

mx216 wrote:

Colton Facciotti used to come down to a local track every once in a while when we were back on 80s, got the best of him a couple times but he definitely won some too!

Dude you must of been fast on 80s!! Facciotti was a bullet up in Canada racing those Kawis.

|

2/18/2019 6:45 PM

1986 I was in the NESC 250 Amateur class (B as they call it now). Got to see John Dowd win, as I went backwards through the pack.

|

2/18/2019 7:44 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2019 7:45 PM

Sir Roostsalot wrote:

Back in 1985 I was racing the 125 amateur (also known as B or intermediate) in the northeast and New England area. There was a racer that had the #369 who was also in that class, he would usually finish mid pack or maybe top 10. He progressed in his racing to make expert class and win a championship also. I'll get to the point, this guy was in fact Doug Henry. He got a relatively late start in MX, which makes what he accomplished all that more amazing. And a bunch of us had a front row seat to watch it all.

Just another weekend in New England 1986. Dowd in the 250 Amateurs and Henry in the 125 Amateurs. Creds to Paul Buckley's awesome Moto Sports magazine.
Photo

|

2/18/2019 8:04 PM

Nice find!!! Amazing they survived all those years.
You must be a real hoarder! grin NESC was and actually still is a big breeding ground for some serious talent. Used to love getting Moto Sports in the mail.

|

THERE IS NO SECOND MOTO IN LIFE!

2/18/2019 8:08 PM

Down to about 5 issues and maybe a half dozen Buckley pics.

Always keep an eye out in the SX or outdoors for any NESC riders.

Try to ride up to the Central Cycle Club races at least once a season.

|

2/18/2019 8:27 PM

Never beat anybody famous but when I moved up to Open Intermediate they sometimes ran us with the pro practice. At Indian Dunes Johnny O’ flew over me on a jump and Donnie Hansen went by me in corner like I was standing still. Still to this day I think those guys were Aliens because no human could go that fast. ?

|

2/18/2019 8:43 PM

nobody, I didn't start racing moto until I hit 30 and at that age, even the future stars that were on 85's were faster than me and all the other vet guys....

|


"Never do something permanently foolish just because you are temporarily upset..."
-----------------------------------My Vital MX Bike Check Page--------------------------------

2/18/2019 9:45 PM

My best couple years. I'm the only Shawn listed obviously. I'm also top finishing Honda, back when the Team Green crew had all the fast guys. Also had a lot of dicing with Andrew Short when he would come down to Texas for the amateur nationals at Lake Whitney and Oak Hill.

Photo
Photo
Photo

|

2/18/2019 11:02 PM

Shawn142 wrote:

My best couple years. I'm the only Shawn listed obviously. I'm also top finishing Honda, back when the Team Green crew had all the fast guys. Also had a lot of dicing with Andrew Short when he would come down to Texas for the amateur nationals at Lake Whitney and Oak Hill.

Photo
Photo
Photo

That’s awesome. You were in there racing some big names.

|

2/18/2019 11:30 PM

mx216 wrote:

Colton Facciotti used to come down to a local track every once in a while when we were back on 80s, got the best of him a couple times but he definitely won some too!

MX76er wrote:

Dude you must of been fast on 80s!! Facciotti was a bullet up in Canada racing those Kawis.

Facciotti used to do the craziest shit at the tracks. I don't think most people ever got to see his true potential, but at local arenacross events he was pretty amazing to watch. Especially when he was 14 riding the kx 125s. Kid was a beast.

|

2/19/2019 2:38 AM

I once caught Nathan Watson, passed him and gapped him in a race many years ago. I obviously still cling to it...

Photo


|

2/19/2019 4:39 AM

I see Eric Williams got you in the first couple Shawn. Both Williams brothers were on it back then, until they got off.... I tussled quite a few motos with their father when i first moved to Oregon.

But in the theme of the thread, i got to race one of my first hero's "The Man" at my hometown track. I squeeked through with both moto wins that day and got the chance to bench race on a tailgate with the legend after, Dick Mann. Would have been cool to of had a photo of that race, or specifically tailgate lol.

|

2/19/2019 7:51 AM

Monk wrote:

I beat RC to the buffet once

Looks like he has been winning that one a lot more here lately.

|

2/19/2019 8:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/19/2019 8:47 AM

Tumblin wrote:

I see Eric Williams got you in the first couple Shawn. Both Williams brothers were on it back then, until they got off.... I tussled quite a few motos with their father when i first moved to Oregon.

But in the theme of the thread, i got to race one of my first hero's "The Man" at my hometown track. I squeeked through with both moto wins that day and got the chance to bench race on a tailgate with the legend after, Dick Mann. Would have been cool to of had a photo of that race, or specifically tailgate lol.

Yea they were both very fast. Always seemed to be around each other every year somehow. But none of us really had anything for the the fastest guys. Wey, Fonseca, and Pastrana were significantly faster than all of us. I knew early on I didn't have the speed to be a successful pro.

|

2/19/2019 8:48 AM

I once raced and beat my old neighbor Tim Hart out at Gorman. Does it still count if he didn't know we were supposed to be racing? With 4th overall being my best finish in the beginner class I have to use that card.

|

2/19/2019 9:20 AM

I took the win ahead of Billy Laninovich and Steven Eugenio at the SMP Invitational at Barona Oaks in 1999. Notice I didn't say "beat" those guys... I got really lucky!
It was a one-off, weird race on a Wednesday. There were only four guys in the race, and I went 3-1 to Billy's 1-3 and Steve's 2-2.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.