All new YZ125!!

bents
Fantasy
909th
7/8/2021 9:22am
Maybe Yamaha should just tweet something in 40 characters or less so people could actually take the time to read the specs.....Read from the beginning to the end Vitards! This is a huge update and effort from Yamaha and they are going to sell all of these bad boys-brilliant Yamaha. They might be a little slow on the 2 stroke development....but they have stayed in the game unlike all of the other knucklehead Japanese brands. I hope it performs as bad ass as it looks. Awesome.
captmoto
7/8/2021 9:22am Edited Date/Time 7/8/2021 9:27am
$6899? Look for a dealer premium on that. I would pay that without looking for the best price on the west/east coast etc. usual bullshit.
It will probably need one more tooth on the rear sprocket. Smile
Racer16
7/8/2021 9:32am
NiekL wrote:
I work at a dealership and just got the info from Yamaha europe, the YZ125 2022 engine is a lot more modified than people seem to...
I work at a dealership and just got the info from Yamaha europe, the YZ125 2022 engine is a lot more modified than people seem to think:

Following parts are new:

Cylinder / head / piston / powervalve / conrod / intake / gearbox 5th and 6th / clutch / vforce 4 reed / exhaust and muffler

You forgot the engine cases too
yota
7/8/2021 9:42am
this is a joke right?

The Shop

7/8/2021 9:44am Edited Date/Time 7/8/2021 10:01am
yota wrote:
this is a joke right?
No. It’s legit.

Edit to add: Thank you Yamaha!!!!
yota
7/8/2021 9:56am
yota wrote:
this is a joke right?
No. It’s legit.

awesome. biggest news, no more graphics on the fuel tank! always hated that on mine.
MelonFan123
7/8/2021 10:12am
wrc777 wrote:
Fuel tank went from 2 gallon to 1.8. That kind of stinks for off-roaders. It would be really cool if they added e start and a...
Fuel tank went from 2 gallon to 1.8. That kind of stinks for off-roaders. It would be really cool if they added e start and a bigger tank to the X models next year when I assume most of these updates will transfer.
Tanks aren't a big deal, those are an easy aftermarket upgrade if you want more range.

E-start would be epic! But that ain't happening as it would require engine case re-designs. I think the 250X could be a legit KTM/Husky/Gas alternative if it had e-start.
7/8/2021 10:16am
I don’t like the look of it, there I’ve said it.
I agree. I thought the old one has better lines, but full coverage shrouds and modern ergos have been needed.
7/8/2021 10:23am
I agree. I thought the old one has better lines, but full coverage shrouds and modern ergos have been needed.
I think the reason I don’t like it is because I don’t like the colours. But as you probably know, if you disagree with the majority on here, you’ll get treated like a cunt. Hence the downvotes.
Spudnut
7/8/2021 10:24am
yota wrote:
this is a joke right?
No. It’s legit.

yota wrote:
awesome. biggest news, no more graphics on the fuel tank! always hated that on mine.
Wow
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
7/8/2021 10:25am
wrc777 wrote:
Fuel tank went from 2 gallon to 1.8. That kind of stinks for off-roaders. It would be really cool if they added e start and a...
Fuel tank went from 2 gallon to 1.8. That kind of stinks for off-roaders. It would be really cool if they added e start and a bigger tank to the X models next year when I assume most of these updates will transfer.
If a new crankcase was made hopefully they ha e designed it with a e start in mind
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
7/8/2021 10:28am Edited Date/Time 7/8/2021 10:29am
I think the reason I don’t like it is because I don’t like the colours. But as you probably know, if you disagree with the majority...
I think the reason I don’t like it is because I don’t like the colours. But as you probably know, if you disagree with the majority on here, you’ll get treated like a cunt. Hence the downvotes.
You got down votes because your only 2 comments are "what took so long" and "I don't like the look of it". You are acting like a petulant child, and missing the bigger picture.
7/8/2021 10:43am
Can a moto mechanic explain the new carb to me? What benefit should we see?
7/8/2021 10:48am
NiekL wrote:
I work at a dealership and just got the info from Yamaha europe, the YZ125 2022 engine is a lot more modified than people seem to...
I work at a dealership and just got the info from Yamaha europe, the YZ125 2022 engine is a lot more modified than people seem to think:

Following parts are new:

Cylinder / head / piston / powervalve / conrod / intake / gearbox 5th and 6th / clutch / vforce 4 reed / exhaust and muffler

Vforce comes stock ?
7/8/2021 11:04am Edited Date/Time 7/8/2021 11:18am
yota wrote:
Thought the same! Finally

Think I’ll stay on my 04 for now
ZOBITO
7/8/2021 11:09am Edited Date/Time 7/8/2021 11:11am
I actually like the 85 far better.
The lines are almost the same, the key word being "almost"...
Still don't like blue rims, but it's much more attractive to me than the 125.

Fourth_Floor
7/8/2021 11:10am
For the life of me I can't understand the 125 2-stroke craze. You guys have that much fun casing jumps while sounding like you're going fast? It takes a real high caliber rider to go fast on a 125 as these bikes were literally designed for teenagers coming off of 80's.

With all the modern tracks being designed around the power of 4-strokes, wouldn't it make sense to come out with a 350cc 2-stroke MX machine? "But you're not allowed to race it!" Well, your average rider on a 125 against 250 four strokes, you can find him way in the back of the pack, more than likely casing the shit out of everything, so how fun is that?

I completely get a 125 would be a fun bike if you're extremely fast, like damn near pro level. Just the challenge of being handicapped on power but still being competitive/winning races but what's the appeal for the average Joe?

If Yamaha came out with a YZ 350 2-stroke with all the new tech, bells and whistles nobody would be able to keep that bike in stock.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
7/8/2021 11:11am
TPS, power jet, and CDI work together.

The old spark advance was just based off one variable - RPM, essentially giving you a spark curve (think of an old school V8 with a distributor with weights and springs). You can make this work well for one load only - so you usually tune it for WOT. But then it will run poorly at partial load and make the power feel less linear or hard to ride. Adding the TPS allows you to map spark against 2 variables - RPM and throttle position. Now you have a "surface" or 3D map instead if a curve. You can do a much better job at optimizing spark advance everywhere. (This would be similar to adding a vacuum advance to that V8 distributor).

The power jet in the carb is a bit similar, but for fueling and can be used a few different ways. A solenoid turns the jet on/off based on the TPS/RPM and gives you a little more control over fueling. I haven't messed with this calibration much, but I believe it can be used similarly to an accelerator pump on a 4 stroke carb to give better response. You can probably use it to dial in WOT jetting too based on RPM.

Generally it's a better fuel/air control system paired with a better spark control system.

AH387
7/8/2021 11:16am
For the life of me I can't understand the 125 2-stroke craze. You guys have that much fun casing jumps while sounding like you're going fast...
For the life of me I can't understand the 125 2-stroke craze. You guys have that much fun casing jumps while sounding like you're going fast? It takes a real high caliber rider to go fast on a 125 as these bikes were literally designed for teenagers coming off of 80's.

With all the modern tracks being designed around the power of 4-strokes, wouldn't it make sense to come out with a 350cc 2-stroke MX machine? "But you're not allowed to race it!" Well, your average rider on a 125 against 250 four strokes, you can find him way in the back of the pack, more than likely casing the shit out of everything, so how fun is that?

I completely get a 125 would be a fun bike if you're extremely fast, like damn near pro level. Just the challenge of being handicapped on power but still being competitive/winning races but what's the appeal for the average Joe?

If Yamaha came out with a YZ 350 2-stroke with all the new tech, bells and whistles nobody would be able to keep that bike in stock.
These are fair points. And I'll admit that I raced a 125 all the way up until 07 when I got my first 4strokes (07 RMZ 250/450.) But now I just turned 40 and am a much better rider on my current 4stroke, but I still have a 125 that I love to ride. Even if I can't do all the jumps on it or have days when I struggle, I still love the bike. It's fun and my days of impressing people are over. So I just do whatever makes me happy. 125s make me happy.
7/8/2021 11:17am
For the life of me I can't understand the 125 2-stroke craze. You guys have that much fun casing jumps while sounding like you're going fast...

The fact that that something exists for "teenagers coming off 80s" should be reason enough to be really excited, but on top of that... 125s are a fucking blast to ride.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
7/8/2021 11:21am Edited Date/Time 7/8/2021 12:13pm

Different strokes for different folks. I race a 450 and am way faster on the bike, but at almost 230 lbs I still love me some 125 action.

Totally different riding style and it forces you to really charge corners hard and maintain your speed. The 450 requires much more patience and focused technique to go fast on in my opinion, but the 125 just makes you ride so aggressively to go fast.

Plus, there is something satisfying about passing someone riding bike with 325ccs more than you.
FGR01
Fantasy
1327th
7/8/2021 11:21am
Jbulz wrote:
TPS, power jet, and CDI work together. The old spark advance was just based off one variable - RPM, essentially giving you a spark curve (think...

The old spark advance was just based off one variable - RPM, essentially giving you a spark curve (think of an old school V8 with a distributor with weights and springs). You can make this work well for one load only - so you usually tune it for WOT. But then it will run poorly at partial load and make the power feel less linear or hard to ride. Adding the TPS allows you to map spark against 2 variables - RPM and throttle position. Now you have a "surface" or 3D map instead if a curve. You can do a much better job at optimizing spark advance everywhere. (This would be similar to adding a vacuum advance to that V8 distributor).

The power jet in the carb is a bit similar, but for fueling and can be used a few different ways. A solenoid turns the jet on/off based on the TPS/RPM and gives you a little more control over fueling. I haven't messed with this calibration much, but I believe it can be used similarly to an accelerator pump on a 4 stroke carb to give better response. You can probably use it to dial in WOT jetting too based on RPM.

Generally it's a better fuel/air control system paired with a better spark control system.

All this, yes. Long story short, they took the carb that the YZ250 has had for 20 years and put it on the YZ125.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1926th
7/8/2021 11:22am
I'm damn impressed based alone of the fact that has been YEARS since we have all seen an OEM revamp a majority of their MX line, all at the same time. The 250, 125, 85, and now offering a big wheel, plus mods beyond cosmetics...... Looks to me like BluCru gives a damn about what we want. It's been too long, but they have heard us shouting and are willing to respond. Be thankful for what they are offering to us, it's been awhile.
7/8/2021 11:24am Edited Date/Time 7/8/2021 1:08pm
Jbulz wrote:
TPS, power jet, and CDI work together. The old spark advance was just based off one variable - RPM, essentially giving you a spark curve (think...

FGR01 wrote:
All this, yes. Long story short, they took the carb that the YZ250 has had for 20 years and put it on the YZ125.
Which is still impressive, because it is nearly a thousand dollars less than the 250, and has the same basic suspension and bolt-on package.
sesker15
7/8/2021 11:25am
I have a 2009 eric gorr yz144 for sale!
7/8/2021 11:32am
Stoked Yamaha finally gave these bikes an update. Looks like it’s my time to score a nice used YZ 125 since everyone will be buying this new one lol

Post a reply to: All new YZ125!!

The Latest