Alessi turning pro ?

jsy_ben
7/15/2015 1:36pm Edited Date/Time 7/16/2015 4:31pm
When Mike turned pro why did he not get a ride with one of the top tier 250 teams ?

I know he jumped up to the 450 early but he was still on a KTM, it just seems strange that the most hyped amateur ever at the time joined a team that at the time had done nothing ?
|
UpTiTe
7/15/2015 1:39pm
Money and a guaranteed ride for his brother.
scott_nz
7/15/2015 1:39pm
jsy_ben wrote:
When Mike turned pro why did he not get a ride with one of the top tier 250 teams ? I know he jumped up to...
When Mike turned pro why did he not get a ride with one of the top tier 250 teams ?

I know he jumped up to the 450 early but he was still on a KTM, it just seems strange that the most hyped amateur ever at the time joined a team that at the time had done nothing ?
he raced the first couple of nationals on a 450, then went factory KTM for 2 years on a 250F, he finished 2nd both years, but was DQ'd and docked points in the first year over the Tedesco debacle,
scott_nz
7/15/2015 1:40pm
and KTM had won the title on 125's not long before he went up, they had not done nothing,

the ride for his brother, and other teams may have not wanted to deal with Tony would have been big considerations,
theToothPerry
7/15/2015 1:44pm
Alessi turning pro reminds me of AC turning pro. All the hype and nothing to back it up. Whereas Villopoto was constantly beat by Alessi as an amateur like Cooper Webb was by AC. Weird how that works.

The Shop

LappedU
7/15/2015 2:16pm
A lot of the time, a great amateur career doesn't pan out to a great pro career, happens more often than not!
Mini Elsinore
7/15/2015 2:21pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2015 10:01pm
He was on track for a Honda ride at the end of 2003. Then, the relationship suddenly blew apart.
Gringoe
7/15/2015 2:29pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2015 2:30pm
Alessi turning pro reminds me of AC turning pro. All the hype and nothing to back it up. Whereas Villopoto was constantly beat by Alessi as...
Alessi turning pro reminds me of AC turning pro. All the hype and nothing to back it up. Whereas Villopoto was constantly beat by Alessi as an amateur like Cooper Webb was by AC. Weird how that works.
3rd overall 450 class his second race.....

And Adam never beat cooper constantly anything like alessi beat villo.
MR. X
7/15/2015 4:16pm
Alessi turning pro reminds me of AC turning pro. All the hype and nothing to back it up. Whereas Villopoto was constantly beat by Alessi as...
Gringoe wrote:
3rd overall 450 class his second race.....

And Adam never beat cooper constantly anything like alessi beat villo.
I remember a picture of him on a golf cart sitting next to RC that day right after he made the comment about "RC has nothing for me" Awkward
moscrop940
7/15/2015 4:43pm
If I'm not mistaken their plan was to continue into the pro ranks with the sponsors that got them there....

Didn't last long
mxj621
7/15/2015 5:21pm
Honestly, he is the only rider I actually feel kinda bad for. To have your dad making every decision for you basically it doesn't matter who was going to or wanting to help him if Tony got involved. His amateur career was amazing and his outdoor speed has been there, just either injuries or bad decisions or whatever it may be kept him from a championship. Kinda gotta have sympathy for one of the greatest amateur riders ever to literally, in my opinion have a Sub-Par career.
motokiwi
7/15/2015 6:34pm
I thought Tony had burned all his bridges with the jap factory teams? (And the KTM was a rod box p.o.s back then)

Im sure at one stage before turning pro he tested a factory honda 250f, but factory Honda wouldn't pay Tony enough or take BOTH the boys? There was some issue.
davistld01
7/15/2015 6:43pm Edited Date/Time 7/15/2015 6:47pm
Alessi flat rode the freaking wheels off that KTM 450 most of the time though. He was a hole shot artist even then, and was a real threat outdoors until that horrific crash in '08.

Edit: Whoops! I believe this 2008 crash was on the Suzuki...my bad.

http://youtu.be/tCs_NhOLRV4
theToothPerry
7/15/2015 8:23pm
I agree with all of you but I'm just saying from the moment Villopoto and Alessi raced each other and when Cianciarulo and Webb raced each other in Pro, roles were reversed. Not to take anything away from either rider. Winningest and highly touted amateurs create a hype and when they don't hit that mark its kind of ironic.
Juss
7/15/2015 9:48pm
I agree with all of you but I'm just saying from the moment Villopoto and Alessi raced each other and when Cianciarulo and Webb raced each...
I agree with all of you but I'm just saying from the moment Villopoto and Alessi raced each other and when Cianciarulo and Webb raced each other in Pro, roles were reversed. Not to take anything away from either rider. Winningest and highly touted amateurs create a hype and when they don't hit that mark its kind of ironic.
AC was kicking ass in SX till he got hurt. Not like Cooper Webb was kicking his ass like RV did MA!
7/16/2015 5:32am
Nothing to back it up? Funny shit. Here's two pics of two different riders. Same injury. One quit racing outdoors and the other one has nothing but racing in his blood.

Ramrod
7/16/2015 6:51am
I really have wished for Mike that he could race MXGP full time for a good team and not let his father muck it up. He is a great outdoor rider and if his body is still healthy enough maybe he could regain his form.

He coulda shoulda won in Canada last year but had a mechanical, ran out of gas and cut the track. Otherwise he was fast for his first try at it.
tprice07
7/16/2015 8:15am
That is the most ignorant comment I have read in a while...and I read a lot on vital.

Didn't Adam win his first supercross race?? The guy has had medical issues. I believe once this shoulder thing is fixed he will be there each and every weekend. The thing I love about the guy is that he isn't afraid to throw it down...a lot like RV and RC.

As for Alessi, I didn't agree with how they came out with the target on the back and "believe the hype" but so say he hasn't lived up to some hype is still not entirely true. Granted, with the right path the guy would have been one of the greats. He is still one of the best riders in the world.
hillbilly
7/16/2015 9:21am
Allessi getting the holeshot all the time as a Am hurt him as a pro
theToothPerry
7/16/2015 9:28am
tprice07 wrote:
That is the most ignorant comment I have read in a while...and I read a lot on vital. Didn't Adam win his first supercross race?? The...
That is the most ignorant comment I have read in a while...and I read a lot on vital.

Didn't Adam win his first supercross race?? The guy has had medical issues. I believe once this shoulder thing is fixed he will be there each and every weekend. The thing I love about the guy is that he isn't afraid to throw it down...a lot like RV and RC.

As for Alessi, I didn't agree with how they came out with the target on the back and "believe the hype" but so say he hasn't lived up to some hype is still not entirely true. Granted, with the right path the guy would have been one of the greats. He is still one of the best riders in the world.
How is that ignorant? If you cant agree Webb has been far more successful as a professional then ill just stop right here. No need trying to explaining what can be seen as clear a day to a blind person.
theToothPerry
7/16/2015 9:35am
Nothing to back it up? Funny shit. Here's two pics of two different riders. Same injury. One quit racing outdoors and the other one has nothing...
Nothing to back it up? Funny shit. Here's two pics of two different riders. Same injury. One quit racing outdoors and the other one has nothing but racing in his blood.

Youre right. Tons of professional championships. Believe the hype buddy.
UpTiTe
7/16/2015 9:40am
I agree with all of you but I'm just saying from the moment Villopoto and Alessi raced each other and when Cianciarulo and Webb raced each...
Coop is older and didn't race much against AC, and when they did AC never dominated him.
WeiserGuy
7/16/2015 10:11am
hillbilly wrote:
Allessi getting the holeshot all the time as a Am hurt him as a pro
I've said the same thing before. As well as just the fact he was so dominant and holeshots just made it worse. Hard to learn how to pass and take defeat when you've been up front your whole amateur career.

IMHO Mike should've severed ties with pops after the 2007 season and headed to GPs. KTM was picking up steam in Europe and bottom line is Supercross is hard work for Mike as outdoors has always been his forte. I think had he done that he'd be in a much different situation in his career.
7/16/2015 10:38am
Nothing to back it up? Funny shit. Here's two pics of two different riders. Same injury. One quit racing outdoors and the other one has nothing...

A lot of great riders didn't win a lot of Championships...Windham had an incredible career. Alessi has taken some nasty crashes over the years and yet still dusts himself off each time. He could have quit sx or even motocross like many pro riders when they lose factory support. Mike still lines up for both and even went oversees. He has name recognition and that means everyone knows his sponsors. He may not have lived up to the "hype" of years ago but he has proved he's not a quitter. Every Alessi thread always has a couple of guys who wish they could have had at least an amateur career like Alessi. Alessi has at least lived up to the HYPE of a motocross racer who just doesn't give up his passion to race.
Crash82
7/16/2015 11:24am
jsy_ben wrote:
When Mike turned pro why did he not get a ride with one of the top tier 250 teams ? I know he jumped up to...

scott_nz wrote:
he raced the first couple of nationals on a 450, then went factory KTM for 2 years on a 250F, he finished 2nd both years, but...
he raced the first couple of nationals on a 450, then went factory KTM for 2 years on a 250F, he finished 2nd both years, but was DQ'd and docked points in the first year over the Tedesco debacle,
He was framed!
Flatliner
7/16/2015 11:52am

A lot of great riders didn't win a lot of Championships...Windham had an incredible career. Alessi has taken some nasty crashes over the years and yet...
A lot of great riders didn't win a lot of Championships...Windham had an incredible career. Alessi has taken some nasty crashes over the years and yet still dusts himself off each time. He could have quit sx or even motocross like many pro riders when they lose factory support. Mike still lines up for both and even went oversees. He has name recognition and that means everyone knows his sponsors. He may not have lived up to the "hype" of years ago but he has proved he's not a quitter. Every Alessi thread always has a couple of guys who wish they could have had at least an amateur career like Alessi. Alessi has at least lived up to the HYPE of a motocross racer who just doesn't give up his passion to race.
Maybe it's just me but I'm still not a fan of not racing any specific series at his age. He should still be battling for wins in Canada , or top 5 in the ama outdoors.

Also I'm still against having dad around all the time. It's at least part of the reason he's on that team right now.
7/16/2015 12:32pm
Flatliner wrote:
Maybe it's just me but I'm still not a fan of not racing any specific series at his age. He should still be battling for wins...
Maybe it's just me but I'm still not a fan of not racing any specific series at his age. He should still be battling for wins in Canada , or top 5 in the ama outdoors.

Also I'm still against having dad around all the time. It's at least part of the reason he's on that team right now.
I see your point but I just have a different opinion. He's raced for the Championships before. He even rapidly moved up to the 450f ranks. He's not on factory equipment or even receiving factory support so what does he have to prove to anyone except himself and his team. He finished second in the 450f class with this team, got to ride the Canadian series with this team and has an extremely flexible schedule. He rides SX and MX and made the effort to be competitive on sx tracks even though that's his admitted weakness. He's been honest of his chances to run the pace of the current top 450f factory riders. There is nothing to prove at his age or commit to any one series. I think it's too easy to look for negatives in any rider including Mike Alessi without seeing the positive side to every issue.
Honda88L
7/16/2015 2:27pm
I was at Steel City in 2004 right after Alessi turned 16. He went out on a 450 and I think went 4-5 to get 3rd overall behind Carmichael and Windham-as a kid. Every single person watching absolutely could not believe what they were seeing. It is my belief that and probably a few other rides built what was the hype of him as a rider. With all of this and the dynamics with him being young and his family(dad) being controlling probably made it a bit difficult on him going forward. There were so many people in that camp they just never let him grow into a consistent top finishing rider.

If you were there in 2004 it was jaw dropping and I am sure for the next year their phone never stopped ringing. I don't think that was a good thing for him in the long run. Has there been a rider since 1985 or or so that came out and competed in the premier class at the age of 16? Kind of like child actors I think.
Kawisrok
7/16/2015 2:36pm
Honda88L wrote:
I was at Steel City in 2004 right after Alessi turned 16. He went out on a 450 and I think went 4-5 to get 3rd...
I was at Steel City in 2004 right after Alessi turned 16. He went out on a 450 and I think went 4-5 to get 3rd overall behind Carmichael and Windham-as a kid. Every single person watching absolutely could not believe what they were seeing. It is my belief that and probably a few other rides built what was the hype of him as a rider. With all of this and the dynamics with him being young and his family(dad) being controlling probably made it a bit difficult on him going forward. There were so many people in that camp they just never let him grow into a consistent top finishing rider.

If you were there in 2004 it was jaw dropping and I am sure for the next year their phone never stopped ringing. I don't think that was a good thing for him in the long run. Has there been a rider since 1985 or or so that came out and competed in the premier class at the age of 16? Kind of like child actors I think.
With all of this and the dynamics with him being young and his family(dad) being controlling probably made it a bit difficult on him going forward.

Well, that and let's not forget about the incident with Carmichael in 05', pretty sure that didn't look enticing to any big teams, and that was all on his own not an influence from Dad or bro. I do agree he's a great talent though.

7/16/2015 3:27pm
Honda88L wrote:
I was at Steel City in 2004 right after Alessi turned 16. He went out on a 450 and I think went 4-5 to get 3rd...

Kawisrok wrote:
With all of this and the dynamics with him being young and his family(dad) being controlling probably made it a bit difficult on him going forward...
With all of this and the dynamics with him being young and his family(dad) being controlling probably made it a bit difficult on him going forward.

Well, that and let's not forget about the incident with Carmichael in 05', pretty sure that didn't look enticing to any big teams, and that was all on his own not an influence from Dad or bro. I do agree he's a great talent though.

i don't remember that, what happened?
Kawisrok
7/16/2015 4:31pm
Honda88L wrote:

Kawisrok wrote:
With all of this and the dynamics with him being young and his family(dad) being controlling probably made it a bit difficult on him going forward...

shredder23 wrote:
i don't remember that, what happened?
My bad, I said Carmichael when I meant Tedesco, sorry.

Post a reply to: Alessi turning pro ?

The Latest

The Latest