Alessi '03 Claimed Super Mini FOUND!!!

DanDunes818
7/17/2010 11:38pm Edited Date/Time 7/17/2010 11:46pm
mxjef wrote:
Bruce Bunch....
I thought about Bruce when I listed my top 5. There were so many fast mini riders from the late 70's early 80's era. Mouse McCoy, Bruce Bunch, Tichenor, Rick Hemi, Kyle Fleming, Healy, Kyle Lewis, Buddy Antunez, Kieth Turpin, Wild Willy Surrat, George Holland, Eric Kehoe, Danny Storebeck, Shawn Kalos, Larry Brooks, Mike Kiedroski, Jimmy Gaddis, Eddie Hicks, Jr Jackson, Ray Sommo, Damon Bradshaw , Lowell Thomson was a rocket on the 80 too.
Hell I'm probably forgetting some but that was IMO the golden era for 80 riders and seeing and racing with some of them was a treat.

I was only planning on naming a few but the names just kept popping into my head as I typed.

IMO though Eric Kehoe stood out as the best ever though.
catatonic
7/18/2010 4:18am
I usally don't pester Tony during race weekends as they are pretty busy as all get out. But Tony might get a kick at seeing pics...
I usally don't pester Tony during race weekends as they are pretty busy as all get out.

But Tony might get a kick at seeing pics of Mike's old bike. They are a pretty sentimental bunch. I will text him about the thread and maybe they can check it out tomorrow evening.
No reason to post that other than as a big "look at me".
catatonic
7/18/2010 4:18am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2010 4:19am
I usally don't pester Tony during race weekends as they are pretty busy as all get out. But Tony might get a kick at seeing pics...
I usally don't pester Tony during race weekends as they are pretty busy as all get out.

But Tony might get a kick at seeing pics of Mike's old bike. They are a pretty sentimental bunch. I will text him about the thread and maybe they can check it out tomorrow evening.
catatonic

The Shop

catatonic

Fearo
7/18/2010 5:20am
Buckelew absolutely dominated as an AM, but completely fell apart in the pro's. I can't remember which teams he used to ride for (anyone?). What's he doing nowadays anyway?
RMZ819
7/18/2010 5:30am
mxjon454.. I agree with you that Alessi was unreal on a 80 but I don't think he was the best ever. I've seen just about every...
mxjon454.. I agree with you that Alessi was unreal on a 80 but I don't think he was the best ever. I've seen just about every mini bike superstar since the mid 70's and my 80-85cc top 5 would read like this. Just my opinion of course.
#1 Eric Kehoe
#2 Ricky Carmichael
#3 George Holland
#4 James Stewart
#5 Mike Alessi
You said Mike used to dominate the 125 intermediate class out at Perris. Eric Kehoe used to spank the 125 pro class on his 80 at indian dunes back in the day. He was incredible to watch.
Oldskool wrote:
I don't disagree with your list. However, I may disagree with the order that they are listed in. Alessi has 11 LL titles. What about the...
I don't disagree with your list. However, I may disagree with the order that they are listed in. Alessi has 11 LL titles. What about the rest of the list?
I would put Jason Partridge in the top 5. This kid was RC's kryptonite. Jason Partridge was faster smoother and beat RC more than RC beat him on the Mini class. IMO if Jason P does not get hurt there would not of been a GOAT. This kid was that good. The sport got robbed of 10 yrs of great racing with his injury.
Oldskool
7/18/2010 5:40am
Oldskool wrote:
I have found and purchased Mike Alessi's 2003 Honda Super Mini that was built by Terry Varner and claimed at Loretta Lynn's by Adam Chatfield. For...
I have found and purchased Mike Alessi's 2003 Honda Super Mini that was built by Terry Varner and claimed at Loretta Lynn's by Adam Chatfield.

For several years, I have heard and read stories on the internet about the claiming of Mike Alessi's Terry Varner built 2003 Honda Super Mini at Loretta Lynn's by Adam Chatfield. The story goes that Mike protested Adam at Ponca (even though Mike won the race) and had Chatfield's bike torn down. Chatfield's bike passed inspection and was found to be legal. As retribution, Chatfield claimed Alessi's super trick Honda Super Mini while Mike and the bike were still on the podium after winning Mike's last LL race on a mini before moving up to the bike bikes. I am trying to connect with the people that were there and to verify what I have heard many times over the years.

The bike has been sitting in a barn for a while and is not cosmetically up to its former glory. However, it is still complete and all of the Varner tricks are still intact.

If any one on this board knows Terry Varner or the Alessi's, I would like to connect with them prior to restoring this very special bike. I don't know Mr. Varner nor do I know how to contact him. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Here are some pictures that I took right after unloading the bike this afternoon. Of course, I haven't even begun to clean the bike so it's "barn fresh" at this point.

I don't know how to upload images in the proper way. Anyone have any pointers to make it easier and to make the pics show up better? Thanks!
RC has said in interviews that Bogard was his biggest competition on 80's. That's a pretty big compliment. Charlie was doing some schools around the Dallas area for a while. My son went to a few several years ago. I believe that he also raced some GNCC stuff to make some extra cash. He got married, had a kid and I don't know what he's up to today.
7/18/2010 6:12am
bd wrote:
Antunez was a bad ass
Buddy Antunez was AMAZING to watch on a mini... first time I ever went to Ponca he was on an R&D Suzuki, battling Tommy Clowers and Damon Bradshaw.

I hear all this talk about how fast Alessi was on an 80, and I must say I ust don't agree. YES he was blazing fast, but after hearing all the hype, I was disappointed the first time I saw him.

I believe that RC was the most amazing amateur to watch on an 80, or any amateur bike for that matter.
7/18/2010 6:24am
RMZ819 wrote:
I would put Jason Partridge in the top 5. This kid was RC's kryptonite. Jason Partridge was faster smoother and beat RC more than RC beat...
I would put Jason Partridge in the top 5. This kid was RC's kryptonite. Jason Partridge was faster smoother and beat RC more than RC beat him on the Mini class. IMO if Jason P does not get hurt there would not of been a GOAT. This kid was that good. The sport got robbed of 10 yrs of great racing with his injury.
DUDE WHAT DOPE ARE YOU SMOKING??????? The only person who could hand it to RC straight up was the dude with the crazy lever and the terrible wrist.... crap I can't remember his name... rode for PC as a pro and then faded away. Now I'm not saying that Partridge wasn't fast cuz he could haul the mail, I just disagree with the statement that he'd dust RC. I could be wrong because I was the same age as RC and that was a long time ago, but still...

And Bogie beat RC straight up a few times.

But like one poster said, yes that era was the GREATEST 80cc talent pool there will EVER be.

Jeff Dement, RR17, Antunez, Swink, both Bradshaws, man that list could go on forever....
RMZ819
7/18/2010 6:44am
RMZ819 wrote:
I would put Jason Partridge in the top 5. This kid was RC's kryptonite. Jason Partridge was faster smoother and beat RC more than RC beat...
DUDE WHAT DOPE ARE YOU SMOKING??????? The only person who could hand it to RC straight up was the dude with the crazy lever and the...
DUDE WHAT DOPE ARE YOU SMOKING??????? The only person who could hand it to RC straight up was the dude with the crazy lever and the terrible wrist.... crap I can't remember his name... rode for PC as a pro and then faded away. Now I'm not saying that Partridge wasn't fast cuz he could haul the mail, I just disagree with the statement that he'd dust RC. I could be wrong because I was the same age as RC and that was a long time ago, but still...

But like one poster said, yes that era was the GREATEST 80cc talent pool there will EVER be.

Jeff Dement, RR17, Antunez, Swink, both Bradshaws, man that list could go on forever....
Sorry, But I saw Jason beat RC many times straight up. Jason was the better rider IMO on the 80's.
RMZ819
7/18/2010 6:44am
RMZ819 wrote:
DUDE WHAT DOPE ARE YOU SMOKING??????? The only person who could hand it to RC straight up was the dude with the crazy lever and the...

Sorry, But I saw Jason beat RC many times straight up. Jason was the better rider IMO on the 80's.
RMZ819
7/18/2010 6:44am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2010 6:45am
RMZ819 wrote:

bobby397
7/18/2010 7:03am
RMZ819 wrote:

RMZ819 wrote:
Robbie Horton was fast and raced RC hard as an AM. Kevin Walker did race at Loretta on Mini's, hard to win when bradshaw was at every race you attend. point is every pro now was a great Am.
bobby397
7/18/2010 7:07am
Fearo wrote:
Buckelew absolutely dominated as an AM, but completely fell apart in the pro's. I can't remember which teams he used to ride for (anyone?). What's he...
Buckelew absolutely dominated as an AM, but completely fell apart in the pro's. I can't remember which teams he used to ride for (anyone?). What's he doing nowadays anyway?
buckelew rode for NCY as an AM and YOT as a pro. had bad luck as soon as he got on a big bike, i remember him getting worked at LL's after the finish line his last year in the Am's.
7/18/2010 7:26am
Yeah Bucky was fast... I have a lot of pics of us racing throughout the years. He, myself, and Johnny Marley used to have some good battles.

He teaches motocross schools in the Surprise, AZ area and I think he has a website.
bobby397
7/18/2010 7:30am
johnny 900 was fast also, so was jacob martin
typ2vw159
7/18/2010 8:18am
Todd at THRacing claimed Sean Cantrells 50 a few years ago, and I'll tell ya if you're looking for a good 65 go shopping for Chase...
Todd at THRacing claimed Sean Cantrells 50 a few years ago, and I'll tell ya if you're looking for a good 65 go shopping for Chase Bells KX65 man they must have a ton of cash rapped up in that sucker, also Jordan baily KTM 65 is a good buy for the cost of 30% over blue book.
Two times the amount of retail!!
DanDunes818
7/18/2010 10:35am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2010 10:40am
mxjon454.. I agree with you that Alessi was unreal on a 80 but I don't think he was the best ever. I've seen just about every...
mxjon454.. I agree with you that Alessi was unreal on a 80 but I don't think he was the best ever. I've seen just about every mini bike superstar since the mid 70's and my 80-85cc top 5 would read like this. Just my opinion of course.
#1 Eric Kehoe
#2 Ricky Carmichael
#3 George Holland
#4 James Stewart
#5 Mike Alessi
You said Mike used to dominate the 125 intermediate class out at Perris. Eric Kehoe used to spank the 125 pro class on his 80 at indian dunes back in the day. He was incredible to watch.
Oldskool wrote:
I don't disagree with your list. However, I may disagree with the order that they are listed in. Alessi has 11 LL titles. What about the...
I don't disagree with your list. However, I may disagree with the order that they are listed in. Alessi has 11 LL titles. What about the rest of the list?
RMZ819 wrote:
I agree that Partridge was fast but he was not AS fast as RC. I got to see Partridge ride allot when I lived and raced in Vegas from 84- 87. I'm not saying he wasn't blistering fast but RC was the man. If Jason was faster then RC was how did RC win all these LL's titles during those years.

RC's LL's titles

1990: 65cc Stock 7-11
1991: 85cc Stock 7-11
1992: 85cc Stock 12-13
1993: 85cc Stock 12-13
1994: 85cc Stock 14-15
1994: 85cc Modified 14-15
1995: 85cc Modified 14-15
1995: 85cc Stock 14-15

I think Jason was allot closer to RC at the world minis because he lived in Vegas but RC still beat JP more then JP beat RC. I remember when JP beat RC straight up in Vegas in for the 9-11 80cc titles and it was a huge deal because RC never had been beaten before that. I'm pretty sure after that RC got the best of him.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
7/18/2010 11:03am
Oldskool wrote:
I have found and purchased Mike Alessi's 2003 Honda Super Mini that was built by Terry Varner and claimed at Loretta Lynn's by Adam Chatfield. For...
I have found and purchased Mike Alessi's 2003 Honda Super Mini that was built by Terry Varner and claimed at Loretta Lynn's by Adam Chatfield.

For several years, I have heard and read stories on the internet about the claiming of Mike Alessi's Terry Varner built 2003 Honda Super Mini at Loretta Lynn's by Adam Chatfield. The story goes that Mike protested Adam at Ponca (even though Mike won the race) and had Chatfield's bike torn down. Chatfield's bike passed inspection and was found to be legal. As retribution, Chatfield claimed Alessi's super trick Honda Super Mini while Mike and the bike were still on the podium after winning Mike's last LL race on a mini before moving up to the bike bikes. I am trying to connect with the people that were there and to verify what I have heard many times over the years.

The bike has been sitting in a barn for a while and is not cosmetically up to its former glory. However, it is still complete and all of the Varner tricks are still intact.

If any one on this board knows Terry Varner or the Alessi's, I would like to connect with them prior to restoring this very special bike. I don't know Mr. Varner nor do I know how to contact him. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Here are some pictures that I took right after unloading the bike this afternoon. Of course, I haven't even begun to clean the bike so it's "barn fresh" at this point.

I don't know how to upload images in the proper way. Anyone have any pointers to make it easier and to make the pics show up better? Thanks!
I agree. Charlie hauled ass. I always loved his style. What ever became of Charlie? Do you know? I know he did arena cross for awhile...
I agree. Charlie hauled ass. I always loved his style. What ever became of Charlie? Do you know? I know he did arena cross for awhile. Does he still race in Oklahoma at all?
You mentioned AX, he was doing that for a bit and doing pretty good, he ended up having a bad crash and I think he collapsed a lung. last I saw he was racing off road for a KTM dealership. Hopefully others that no more then I do will chime in. Ive seen him ride at a few private tracks, the guy is still unreal on a motocross track
txrider44
7/18/2010 11:13am
He knocked a hole in his kidney. Check out @ 25 sec mark, he is in 5th and does the section a bit different.

JB 19
7/18/2010 11:22am
All this talk about fast mini riders and no mention of Jimmy Button?
RMZ819
7/18/2010 11:40am
JB 19 wrote:
Richard Saxton was a amazing Amatuer rider in the late 80's and early 90's also.
BobbyM
7/18/2010 11:42am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2010 11:43am

catatonic wrote:
No reason to post that other than as a big "look at me".
trust me...every time rocket man posts tony is thinking "shut the fuck up wanker" rance is meek...tony hates meek
BobbyM
7/18/2010 11:45am
mxjef wrote:
Bruce Bunch....
I thought about Bruce when I listed my top 5. There were so many fast mini riders from the late 70's early 80's era. Mouse McCoy...
I thought about Bruce when I listed my top 5. There were so many fast mini riders from the late 70's early 80's era. Mouse McCoy, Bruce Bunch, Tichenor, Rick Hemi, Kyle Fleming, Healy, Kyle Lewis, Buddy Antunez, Kieth Turpin, Wild Willy Surrat, George Holland, Eric Kehoe, Danny Storebeck, Shawn Kalos, Larry Brooks, Mike Kiedroski, Jimmy Gaddis, Eddie Hicks, Jr Jackson, Ray Sommo, Damon Bradshaw , Lowell Thomson was a rocket on the 80 too.
Hell I'm probably forgetting some but that was IMO the golden era for 80 riders and seeing and racing with some of them was a treat.

I was only planning on naming a few but the names just kept popping into my head as I typed.

IMO though Eric Kehoe stood out as the best ever though.
to shut all you bitches up Magoo at any age would look around, do an assessment then wax all yer little local heroes ass's off
DanDunes818
7/18/2010 11:51am
Bobby I never got to see Magoo on a 80 but I'm sure he was amazing on any bike.
DanDunes818
7/18/2010 11:58am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2010 12:09pm
JB 19 wrote:
RMZ819 wrote:
Richard Saxton was a amazing Amatuer rider in the late 80's and early 90's also.
I remember on Peewees they actually called him King Richard Saxton. He used to show up at Indian dunes with his 50ft motorhome towing a 40 ft trailer painted like a slot machine w/King Richard painted on it. He probably had 30 race PeeWees in that thing..lol I raced Richard allot on PeeWees and 60's back in the day. On Peewees he owned me. On 60's we were pretty even. Last time I talked to Rich we had long conversation about a couple 60 battles we had with each other at Indian Dunes. He and I had some knock down brawls back then. I've actually been trying to find him to talk to him. if you know him let him know Danny lamb says hey..

Post a reply to: Alessi '03 Claimed Super Mini FOUND!!!

The Latest