Aldon's starving champions vs natural ability

APLMAN99
7/23/2017 8:58am
One of my college roommates had to eat at least 12,000 calories a day, and during certain times of the year as much as 15,000 calories a day, just to maintain his weight and muscle mass. It was insane, but his pre-bed "snack" often consisted of 4 or 5 microwave burritos topped with a couple cans of tuna, covered with cheese and olives, then guac, sour cream, and salsa. Basically as much food as a "normal" person would eat in an entire day.

If Baker's guys are working as hard as it sounds, then they are also putting in plenty of fuel. It's just different fuel than they would otherwise put into their bodies without his guidance.
milliebays
7/23/2017 9:12am
As a cyclist, general road cycling is near useless for motocross outside of early season base building or light active recovery. The efforts are just too different to mx.
Swann
7/23/2017 9:25am Edited Date/Time 7/23/2017 9:32am
milliebays wrote:
As a cyclist, general road cycling is near useless for motocross outside of early season base building or light active recovery. The efforts are just too...
As a cyclist, general road cycling is near useless for motocross outside of early season base building or light active recovery. The efforts are just too different to mx.
Huh? How is conditioning cardiovascular output for extended periods of time NOT useful to motocross? The training that occurs in the off-season is every bit as important as the training that occurs in-season. There really is no off-season for these guys.

Aldon trains his riders like cyclists (remember that's his origin) with a heavy mental/spiritual focus that just isn't some people's cup of tea. Aldon is not the kind of trainer that can work with everybody.

A cyclist training to push through a 50 mile climb is very relevant to motocross. I can't really think of any other form of training that would afford you that kind of conditioning. Making your muscles and cardiovascular system work at peak performance for a very long time is a very very hard thing to do, especially when you also have to deal with the mental demons). Aldon is particularly good at that science because that's the world he came from.
milliebays
7/23/2017 9:29am
milliebays wrote:
As a cyclist, general road cycling is near useless for motocross outside of early season base building or light active recovery. The efforts are just too...
Swann wrote:
Huh? How is conditioning cardiovascular output for extended periods of time NOT useful to motocross? The training that occurs in the off-season is every bit as...
Huh? How is conditioning cardiovascular output for extended periods of time NOT useful to motocross? The training that occurs in the off-season is every bit as important as the training that occurs in-season. There really is no off-season for these guys.

Aldon trains his riders like cyclists (remember that's his origin) with a heavy mental/spiritual focus that just isn't some people's cup of tea. Aldon is not the kind of trainer that can work with everybody.

A cyclist training to push through a 50 mile climb is very relevant to motocross. I can't really think of any other form of training that would afford you that kind of conditioning. Making your muscles and cardiovascular system work at peak performance for a very long time is a very very hard thing to do, especially when you also have to deal with the mental demons). Aldon is particularly good at that science because that's the world he came from.
Thats not what i said. I said there are better ways to accomplish this than cycling; it just happens to be what hes most familiar with.

Running. Rowing. Riding (moto). Three Rs

The Shop

ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
7/23/2017 11:10am
oshow wrote:
Phelps also smokes weed... I know a guy in the 80's that was great on that program
Sounds like a PED Wink
NateDawg
7/23/2017 2:55pm
PJRAUS wrote:
Been a bit of talk about how thin and wasted Aldon's riders are and if it's really necessary.. I seem to remember something about Jeff Stanton...
Been a bit of talk about how thin and wasted Aldon's riders are and if it's really necessary..
I seem to remember something about Jeff Stanton at his peak, losing heaps of weight and going vegetarian or something and how that backfired...please correct me if I'm wrong.
But this young guy..Cody Dyce..is setting the MXD class alight in the oz mx nationals.. Watched him at Shepparton .
I thought he looked fat and unfit...especially compared to his wafer thin competition....he spanked all of them in the first Moto ..then went down in the first corner second Moto..got up dead last and climbed to third in a 20 min Moto..
He looked chunky to me...but he also displayed that effortless riding style ala Stephan Everts...
What do y'all think? Is it that necessary to be so thin and wasted to get to the top?
Cody Dyce is for certain a serious talent...if he got out of OZ and headed to the USA immediately rather than wait...pull a Chad Reed and just pack his bags and go...how would he go?

Wait... is Cody a girl or boy? Gender neutral name these days. Seriously not a joke, I can't tell if those pics are of a 13yr...
Wait... is Cody a girl or boy? Gender neutral name these days. Seriously not a joke, I can't tell if those pics are of a 13yr old boy or a butch, pudgy lesbian with man boobs. The third pic is very feminine looking. I cant make my decision on the OPs original question until I find out
Stay classy, asshole...
PJRAUS
7/23/2017 5:04pm
Well as I said in a post above, I'm not calling Aldon's riders thin and wasted myself, might have come across like that though, apologies.
I keep reading remarks like this though and especially in light of KR 94 remarks about Aldon's program, it's somewhat topical.
As for comparing AUS MXD riders to pro AMA or GP riders...we have two MXD graduates doing well in the gps right now. Hunter Lawrence and Jed Beaton.
I see that you are in America...maybe you were one of those that thought Dean ferris stood no chance of a top 20 at the high point national..
Anyway...I've been flagging at a couple of big races lately and got to see some of our best riders up close .
Recently watched Kirk Gibbs win a Victoria title round...pursuing him very closely about a second and a half back until the late stages of the motos was Callum Norton, MXD rider...Gibbs just beat Ferris at the Shepparton national..although ferris did go down in the first Moto.
As for Callum Norton, he was soundly beaten by Cody Dyce first Moto ...it got my attention . When Dyce pulled up and removed his helmet to be interviewed..he looked fresh as a daisy.
So how far off the pace of Dean Ferris would both Cody Dyce and Callum Norton be?
I will see if I can find their lap times at the my laps site...
But the point is...there are some very fast and talented kids here at the moment that are likely to be very near the speed of Dean Ferris...So to wonder out loud as to how they might go at pro AMA or gp races isn't what I would call being a "troll"
I don't run around calling people trolls...even the person who made that ridiculous remark about Cody's appearance.
The point of the thread was here is this kid displaying blazing speed and race craft and he doesn't fit the mound of the super lean pro athlete.
PJRAUS
7/23/2017 5:06pm
RangerLee wrote:
Starving? Comparing an Oz MXD rider to Pro AMA and MXGP MX racers? Both are way out there, I am going to go with the assumption...
Starving? Comparing an Oz MXD rider to Pro AMA and MXGP MX racers?

Both are way out there, I am going to go with the assumption that this was a pretty elaborate troll bait cast for deep waters, with that cause, I think it is biting well.

Aldons riders are not starving, never have, and never will. Though they are not going to enjoy a pizza (I imagine) during the season.

The only discussion I can see with merit is, does he push them too hard and burn them out early. Aldon himself has said, he can look at a 15 year career with ok results. Or a shorter, healthy career with multiple championships. Which would a rider rather have. Still Dungey had a 12 year career and the championships speak for themselves. RV and RC as well.

There has to be natural talent, I believe Aldon and other elite trainers are very much like the difference between a privateer bike and a Factory teams bike. Both are very fast and both can win, the factory bike just has a little better stuff on it that makes it handle a little better, or use the HP a little better. The elite trainers, especially Aldon will take that top rider and get just a little more out of them.
Sorry, I replied above to your comments, just forgot to quote you
FTB
7/23/2017 5:07pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2017 5:09pm
PJRAUS wrote:
Well as I said in a post above, I'm not calling Aldon's riders thin and wasted myself, might have come across like that though, apologies. I...
Well as I said in a post above, I'm not calling Aldon's riders thin and wasted myself, might have come across like that though, apologies.
I keep reading remarks like this though and especially in light of KR 94 remarks about Aldon's program, it's somewhat topical.
As for comparing AUS MXD riders to pro AMA or GP riders...we have two MXD graduates doing well in the gps right now. Hunter Lawrence and Jed Beaton.
I see that you are in America...maybe you were one of those that thought Dean ferris stood no chance of a top 20 at the high point national..
Anyway...I've been flagging at a couple of big races lately and got to see some of our best riders up close .
Recently watched Kirk Gibbs win a Victoria title round...pursuing him very closely about a second and a half back until the late stages of the motos was Callum Norton, MXD rider...Gibbs just beat Ferris at the Shepparton national..although ferris did go down in the first Moto.
As for Callum Norton, he was soundly beaten by Cody Dyce first Moto ...it got my attention . When Dyce pulled up and removed his helmet to be interviewed..he looked fresh as a daisy.
So how far off the pace of Dean Ferris would both Cody Dyce and Callum Norton be?
But the point is...there are some very fast and talented kids here at the moment that are likely to be very near the speed of Dean Ferris...So to wonder out loud as to how they might go at pro AMA or gp races isn't what I would call being a "troll"
I don't run around calling people trolls...even the person who made that ridiculous remark about Cody's appearance.
The point of the thread was here is this kid displaying blazing speed and race craft and he doesn't fit the mound of the super lean pro athlete.
"Race craft". Something most American riders don't have. I.e Eli Tomac.
BobPA
7/23/2017 5:16pm
PJRAUS wrote:
Well as I said in a post above, I'm not calling Aldon's riders thin and wasted myself, might have come across like that though, apologies. I...
When you title a thread "Aldon's starving champions vs natural ability", you sound like an epic troll.

So let me set your argument up here. Dean Ferris came over and had a single good moto. Some kid may have run a lap time similar to Dean's. So now this kid, who no one knows, would suddenly be competitive for wins in the Nationals? Give me a fucking break.
PJRAUS
7/23/2017 5:34pm
BobPA wrote:
When you title a thread "Aldon's starving champions vs natural ability", you sound like an epic troll. So let me set your argument up here. Dean...
When you title a thread "Aldon's starving champions vs natural ability", you sound like an epic troll.

So let me set your argument up here. Dean Ferris came over and had a single good moto. Some kid may have run a lap time similar to Dean's. So now this kid, who no one knows, would suddenly be competitive for wins in the Nationals? Give me a fucking break.
You might need to take some basic reading and comprehension refreshers at night school..I never said anything of the kind..I just asked for people's thoughts on how a kid like that might go....didnt say he would be competitive for wins in nationals....Dean Ferris did have a good single Moto , hopefully he gets a ride there as a result.
I just checked lap times for the Shep national.
Dean Ferris's best in the mx 1 first Moto was about 1.5 secs faster than Cody Dyce in his first MXD Moto., not bad, but would be a big gap by the end of 30 mins .second Moto comparisons blew out to around six seconds difference however.
The track was pretty nasty.
Plenty of people have had lots of constructive things to say, if you don't like the thread then don post.
I like motocross, you seem to like just bang nasty
BobPA
7/23/2017 6:04pm
PJRAUS wrote:
You might need to take some basic reading and comprehension refreshers at night school..I never said anything of the kind..I just asked for people's thoughts on...
You might need to take some basic reading and comprehension refreshers at night school..I never said anything of the kind..I just asked for people's thoughts on how a kid like that might go....didnt say he would be competitive for wins in nationals....Dean Ferris did have a good single Moto , hopefully he gets a ride there as a result.
I just checked lap times for the Shep national.
Dean Ferris's best in the mx 1 first Moto was about 1.5 secs faster than Cody Dyce in his first MXD Moto., not bad, but would be a big gap by the end of 30 mins .second Moto comparisons blew out to around six seconds difference however.
The track was pretty nasty.
Plenty of people have had lots of constructive things to say, if you don't like the thread then don post.
I like motocross, you seem to like just bang nasty
Bang nasty? I'll have you know my chick is a nice lady.
haydos25
Fantasy
3325th
7/23/2017 6:12pm
I've thought the same thing about Cody Dyce when I first saw him. My guess is he could potentially be fitter/leaner and would probably benefit, but he's ultra talented and skating through this level of competition on that skill. His smooth riding style probably also contributes to that also, he doesn't need to use the energy of the other riders.

At the end of the day though, he's a 16 year old kid who doesn't need to be on an Aldon like program just yet, if he was in the US he'd still be in the B class not racing in a "professional" series. Give it a couple years, let him grow into his body a bit and then he will know a bit more about where his deficiencies are. There's rush to ramp the training to that level when you're 16 and racing the junior class in Australia. Let him get overseas first before he starts the 10 year burnout process that everyone is talking about these days.

And no he is nowhere near Dean Ferris's speed yet, pretty much nobody in the country is at this point. But he may get there one day.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
7/23/2017 6:39pm
Holy cow. There's a diet that works for elite athletes, and there's what the rest of us eat.

I know I've used this line before, but have you ever watched a marathon? The elite runners at the front of the pack look like someone promised them a sandwich at the finish line, and they're racing for it.

The diet required for that ain't for everyone. But you're talking about fueling a rocketship, not a barge.
7/23/2017 7:05pm
FTB wrote:
Right......
FTB
7/23/2017 8:10pm Edited Date/Time 7/23/2017 8:21pm
FTB wrote:
Right......
You obviously don't agree.
I'll elaborate. At Red Bud Tomac was on the wrong line for the first 15 minutes of the 2nd moto. Once he got on the better line, he still kept going back onto the bad line
Yesterday he was on a bad line all day. If I went through all of this years outdoor footage I'm sure I could point out many more examples. His line choice sux.
2015. A smart racer, a racer with good race craft, only go as fast as they need to in order to win.

Tomac should have won muliple 250 and 450 championships by now. The reason the fastest rider in the paddock hasn't won the championships he should have? Bad race craft.
His riding is awesome, his racing, not so much.

Being fast is never enough and never has been. I've always promoted Chess as a great training tool. RC (The GOAT) agrees Wink .

An example of an American rider with good race craft would be, IMO, RJ Hampshire. He is a future champion. Osbourne is another good example, but he raced GP's so I'd expect that.. If I had to name a 450 rider I'd say Bagget.

MM's race craft got him the 1,1 result yesterday. He had it totally under control from the second the gates dropped in both motos.

PJRAUS
7/23/2017 9:26pm
BobPA wrote:
Bang nasty? I'll have you know my chick is a nice lady.
Sorry about that, my typing errors on the iPad get me into more trouble..I meant being .
I'm out...I seem to upset a lot of people so I will remove myself from the forum.
Going to be very busy with work and riding from now on anyway
PJRAUS
7/23/2017 9:29pm
haydos25 wrote:
I've thought the same thing about Cody Dyce when I first saw him. My guess is he could potentially be fitter/leaner and would probably benefit, but...
I've thought the same thing about Cody Dyce when I first saw him. My guess is he could potentially be fitter/leaner and would probably benefit, but he's ultra talented and skating through this level of competition on that skill. His smooth riding style probably also contributes to that also, he doesn't need to use the energy of the other riders.

At the end of the day though, he's a 16 year old kid who doesn't need to be on an Aldon like program just yet, if he was in the US he'd still be in the B class not racing in a "professional" series. Give it a couple years, let him grow into his body a bit and then he will know a bit more about where his deficiencies are. There's rush to ramp the training to that level when you're 16 and racing the junior class in Australia. Let him get overseas first before he starts the 10 year burnout process that everyone is talking about these days.

And no he is nowhere near Dean Ferris's speed yet, pretty much nobody in the country is at this point. But he may get there one day.
Thanks for the well considered reply...I think Cody is a brilliant racer...the MXD class seems to be producing some great riders
PJRAUS
7/23/2017 9:40pm
Ok , sorry everyone for starting this thread. I meant no disrespect to Aldon's champions or Aldon's...came across like I was saying they are starving and wasted..I meant that I keep reading comments like that, and then there were the comments KR 94 made.
No disrespect to Cody Dyce either...he doesn't appear to be ripped and trained to the max ,but he sure rides fast and doesn't seem to slow at all towards the end of the Moto .
Also never said that he could just land in the USA or Europe and be a major contender either...just wondering how he might go if he just packed his bags and went..like Chad Reed Did.
My opinion is that riders with the talent should get out of OZ and head for the USA or Europe soon as they possibly can ,if it's their dream to do so...I believe that they would advance at a much faster rate than they would staying here and waiting to make it to the top here before trying overseas.

Anyway sorry to all..not gonna post anymore, hope I didn't offend anyone by saying I'm not gonna post anymore either
7/23/2017 11:59pm
Are we really trying to compare the training regimen or general methodology of top world-class athletes to 16 year old kids (even really talented ones)?
motokiwi
Fantasy
269th
7/24/2017 1:48am
Send Cody to any professional top teir mx trainer for 4 years and his build would look somewhere between Eli Tomac and Weston Peick.

There is no such thing as a chubby professional athlete in modern sports like motocross - where the bar is raised on a consistent basis. If there is - he suffers at the end of every moto, every timookie
mha1406
7/24/2017 12:12pm
I walked through the pits friday night and Marvin had a steak the size of my head & 3 cobs of corn and seemed to do alright saturday. Must've been that mn sweet corn
Fearo
7/25/2017 1:55am
milliebays wrote:
Swann wrote:
Huh? How is conditioning cardiovascular output for extended periods of time NOT useful to motocross? The training that occurs in the off-season is every bit as...

I won't go as far as saying it's useless, but after having cycled my balls off cross-training for motocross these last few years, I can honestly say it's not optimal and there are better ways to train for a time-crunched athlete than doing long road rides.

There is not a snowball's chance in hell you will be getting the same heartrates while cycling than you would while riding/racing motocross, plus the forces and stresses put on your body, muscle groups used are TOTALLY different from motocross.

I think short, highly technical mountainbike trails are a great tool, but the best thing BAR NONE I have found for in-season training has to be boxing. The unique combination of crazy intensity, balance, hand-eye coordination and split-second decision making is the closest thing you will find to motocross. Laugh all you want, but try it and you will see.
willie838
7/25/2017 2:17am
wsc96 wrote:
Does anyone really know what they are doing. Counting calories and excluding certain foods?
nutrient intake, nutrient timing, closely monitored bloodwork, closely monitored heart rate.

it's super micro managed but if you're looking for the final edge available when the top of the top are seperated by very little....

well you'd be hard pressed to argue that his method isn't working.
wsc96
Fantasy
474th
7/25/2017 3:48am
willie838 wrote:
nutrient intake, nutrient timing, closely monitored bloodwork, closely monitored heart rate. it's super micro managed but if you're looking for the final edge available when the...
nutrient intake, nutrient timing, closely monitored bloodwork, closely monitored heart rate.

it's super micro managed but if you're looking for the final edge available when the top of the top are seperated by very little....

well you'd be hard pressed to argue that his method isn't working.
I wonder if they manage the nutrients with real food or supplements or a combination (guessing that's most likely) of both.

if they're burning massive numbers of calories then the claims from former clients that they don't eat enough doesn't make sense. Perhaps it's just the exclusion of certain food types that they're rebelling against.

Post a reply to: Aldon's starving champions vs natural ability

The Latest