Alberta MX Tracks

bmartens
I checked out Chaos MX in Two Hills this afternoon. Arguably one of the most fun tracks I've been on and the conditions couldn't have been better. Feel free to respond with your videos of Alberta MX tracks, especially in the Edmonton area.

Don't mind the garbage whoop speed.

https://youtu.be/MDgDPfuE2sc
|
Lunch_Box
6/2/2018 7:40pm
Definitely one of the better tracks around Edmonton. Im not a big fan of Calgary but their track(s) are so much better. For Edmonton we have Chaos, BUMP and Xtreme Raceways within 1.5 hours.
bmartens
6/2/2018 8:13pm
Lunch_Box wrote:
Definitely one of the better tracks around Edmonton. Im not a big fan of Calgary but their track(s) are so much better. For Edmonton we have...
Definitely one of the better tracks around Edmonton. Im not a big fan of Calgary but their track(s) are so much better. For Edmonton we have Chaos, BUMP and Xtreme Raceways within 1.5 hours.
I just moved out here from Saskatoon a couple weeks ago, and so far I wasn't super impressed with BUMP. Not a bad location, but the layout wasn't overly flowy and the jumps felt inconsistent. Just raced the Sask MRC race in Lloyd and had a great time this time around. I've ridden Wild Rose twice in the last few years, which was a great time, but the grooming both those times was mediocre. Get at me if you're heading east with your bike and I can tell you of a bunch of places to ride around Saskatoon.
Lunch_Box
6/2/2018 8:31pm
If you are up for driving there are some better tracks south. Raymond has a pretty much track, mostly sand with some hard pack sections. Probably my favorite in the province.
shiftmx_22
Fantasy
708th
6/3/2018 8:12am
Lunch_Box wrote:
If you are up for driving there are some better tracks south. Raymond has a pretty much track, mostly sand with some hard pack sections. Probably...
If you are up for driving there are some better tracks south. Raymond has a pretty much track, mostly sand with some hard pack sections. Probably my favorite in the province.
This. Not my video, but it is my track.

https://youtu.be/6zISoJy2PKo

The Shop

hamncheeze
6/3/2018 12:36pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2018 12:54pm
Wow that Temple Hill aka "Mormon Mountain" looks way nicer than the version I raced from 1978-1987! Back then it was mostly hard, and always dusty. It would have this hard base with silty dirt on top. I had some good motos there, and some really bad ones too. Back in 1986 I remember Rollerball came out to a provincial race because he was around, and I had my own personal experience of getting a start in front of him and then getting rollerballed. The sight of that big #1 and a white Yamaha fender coming up my inside was something to behold.

When I stopped after 1987 the Edmonton area had tracks in Fort Saskatchewan (my hometown), the old 1st Street/Dump area that was open and scary AF to ride at, and then a track out near Stony Plain. Over all those years I raced so many tracks in Alberta came and went. I remember racing on the ski hill at Lake Eden in 1984! It was a cool course but it was around May long weekend and the frost was coming out of the ground, and as the day went on there were these crazy wheel sucking ruts that could stop you dead. Also raced right down by the river in Devon, on the south side by the campground. Track had the finest sand ever, so many motors were destroyed. There used to be a really nice track out by Bon Accord (Flying W), but the pressure from the local community closed it down. And there was a nice track down by the river just west of Calmar, forget the name but it was ran by the Holland family. And there was a track northwest of Stony Plain that was pretty cool (Hubble Lake?), had some awesome old school grass sections. And of course Antler Lake, which hosted nationals forever. It was rarely open to ride for practice though. I was a lucky kid, my father went to school with the land owner of the Antler Lake track, so I could occasionally get exclusive access to the track. When I was really young our family used to all go out there and ride around....I never understood how lucky we were to have access to that place that very few others ever had. It never helped me much, I rode that hardpack poorly.

Red Deer had a variety of tracks - out by Pine Lake, my first race ever. Then on the fairgrounds, then a sand track out just west of gasoline alley. That's where I first saw a young Jason Frenette on a KX80 just ripping it. There was also a great track down by Alix, right where hwy 21 dead ends by the gas plant (Edit: just googled and it looks like this place exists as Tail Creek Raceway, but maybe does not have MX anymore). Calgary had Blackfoot, then another version of Blackfoot on the east side of the city (Race City speedway land I think?), then Wildrose down by Carbon, ran by Murray Coclough. Medicine Hat had the classic track by the river with the big ass hills, I used to be scared as hell on my RM80 out there! Fort Mac had a track in the trees just south of town, good layout but the black flies would eat you to death. For a couple of years there was a track in Wainwright too, out by the military base. And of course we headed east to race in Lloydminster and North Battleford.

Anyway, that Temple Hill video really brought back the memories!
MK128
6/3/2018 7:22pm
Chaos is the best that you are going to get as far prep in the Edmonton area. Great group of guys who are eager to get the support from racers, and it seems that is who they are catering to which is nice to see in this area. It has been much needed for a long time.

Bump is catered more to the weekend rider who is there to maybe learn bike skills and progress. Super nice staff, great family facility, but if you are a somewhat serious rider, who likes to put in motos, its not the best imo. They look to be making a huge effort to prep more often, which is a nice thing to see. But I have spun a lot of laps at Bump, and ever since they re did the jumps on the track, I have not enjoyed it. The track is too high speed for the steep, low speed jumps that they have. Again, just personal opinion.

Whitecourt MX (In blue ridge, 1hr 40ish from Edmonton) is not very active on social media, but those guys really know how to prep. Track gets multiple ruts, flows nice, and they maintain it through out the day. If you are lucky to catch them on a prep day, its a must go. If its not prepped, id look for other options.

Alix (Xtreme Raceways) has the potential to be something great because of the elevation, but from my experiences, they lack the equipment to handle track prep consistently.

Personally, I like to mix in road trips to Calgary. Their sub par prep is still better then most. So you generally know what you are getting with that 2.5 hr drive. Also Drumheller (Dorva) has a great layout, and when it is prepped, is a lot of fun.

There are other tracks around, but they are drop in, get the gate code and ride as is tracks. Which i am not a fan of. So i wont even list those lol.
bmartens
6/3/2018 7:26pm
MK128 wrote:
Chaos is the best that you are going to get as far prep in the Edmonton area. Great group of guys who are eager to get...
Chaos is the best that you are going to get as far prep in the Edmonton area. Great group of guys who are eager to get the support from racers, and it seems that is who they are catering to which is nice to see in this area. It has been much needed for a long time.

Bump is catered more to the weekend rider who is there to maybe learn bike skills and progress. Super nice staff, great family facility, but if you are a somewhat serious rider, who likes to put in motos, its not the best imo. They look to be making a huge effort to prep more often, which is a nice thing to see. But I have spun a lot of laps at Bump, and ever since they re did the jumps on the track, I have not enjoyed it. The track is too high speed for the steep, low speed jumps that they have. Again, just personal opinion.

Whitecourt MX (In blue ridge, 1hr 40ish from Edmonton) is not very active on social media, but those guys really know how to prep. Track gets multiple ruts, flows nice, and they maintain it through out the day. If you are lucky to catch them on a prep day, its a must go. If its not prepped, id look for other options.

Alix (Xtreme Raceways) has the potential to be something great because of the elevation, but from my experiences, they lack the equipment to handle track prep consistently.

Personally, I like to mix in road trips to Calgary. Their sub par prep is still better then most. So you generally know what you are getting with that 2.5 hr drive. Also Drumheller (Dorva) has a great layout, and when it is prepped, is a lot of fun.

There are other tracks around, but they are drop in, get the gate code and ride as is tracks. Which i am not a fan of. So i wont even list those lol.
I actually feel the exact same way about bump. Great location, but just not the best as far as build. Looks like they keep on top of grooming pretty well.

Chaos was possibly the most fun track I've been on, if I'm honest.
MK128
6/3/2018 7:38pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2018 7:47pm
MK128 wrote:
Chaos is the best that you are going to get as far prep in the Edmonton area. Great group of guys who are eager to get...

bmartens wrote:
I actually feel the exact same way about bump. Great location, but just not the best as far as build. Looks like they keep on top...
I actually feel the exact same way about bump. Great location, but just not the best as far as build. Looks like they keep on top of grooming pretty well.

Chaos was possibly the most fun track I've been on, if I'm honest.
It is just suited to their type of rider they generally get. They don't want to rip the track deep, because to be quite honest, the majority of riders they see are beginner who prefer a safe track with no ruts. So its tough for them to cater to the smaller crowd of guys who want to pound out motos, and have rutted corners, etc.

But at the same time, a big criticism i have is that the foot print of the track is massive. It is hard to keep up with regular maintenance on a track that size.

Also, They also have 4 tracks (50cc, Liz track, Sprint track, and main track) and it is a great idea to try to encourage people to work their way through the tracks, and ultimately be skilled enough to safely ride the main track.

But if you are going to market the main track as the premier track of the facility, i would like to see it have a "premiere" prep, so to speak, as well as obstacles that are challenging to not only beginners, but the faster group as well. I dont mean full prep as often as their prep they have now. But maybe once a week or once every two weeks try to rip it deep to try and draw out the serious moto guys.

I don't mean to turn your thread into a full on review of BUMP, but its criticism (friendly criticism) that has been held in for some time. haha
bmartens
6/3/2018 7:59pm
MK128 wrote:
It is just suited to their type of rider they generally get. They don't want to rip the track deep, because to be quite honest, the...
It is just suited to their type of rider they generally get. They don't want to rip the track deep, because to be quite honest, the majority of riders they see are beginner who prefer a safe track with no ruts. So its tough for them to cater to the smaller crowd of guys who want to pound out motos, and have rutted corners, etc.

But at the same time, a big criticism i have is that the foot print of the track is massive. It is hard to keep up with regular maintenance on a track that size.

Also, They also have 4 tracks (50cc, Liz track, Sprint track, and main track) and it is a great idea to try to encourage people to work their way through the tracks, and ultimately be skilled enough to safely ride the main track.

But if you are going to market the main track as the premier track of the facility, i would like to see it have a "premiere" prep, so to speak, as well as obstacles that are challenging to not only beginners, but the faster group as well. I dont mean full prep as often as their prep they have now. But maybe once a week or once every two weeks try to rip it deep to try and draw out the serious moto guys.

I don't mean to turn your thread into a full on review of BUMP, but its criticism (friendly criticism) that has been held in for some time. haha
No worries at all! Definitely send me a message or reply to the thread next time you're heading out somewhere. I just moved to Sherwood Park so I'm looking for new riding buddies out here.
I notice nobody in the thread has mentioned Antler Lake. Is that just because it's practically off limits to public most of the year or what? I rode there two years in a row 2012/2013 and I wouldn't mind getting out there for any practice or work days if I can.
Lunch_Box
6/3/2018 8:21pm Edited Date/Time 6/3/2018 8:22pm
MK128 wrote:
It is just suited to their type of rider they generally get. They don't want to rip the track deep, because to be quite honest, the...

bmartens wrote:
No worries at all! Definitely send me a message or reply to the thread next time you're heading out somewhere. I just moved to Sherwood Park...
No worries at all! Definitely send me a message or reply to the thread next time you're heading out somewhere. I just moved to Sherwood Park so I'm looking for new riding buddies out here.
I notice nobody in the thread has mentioned Antler Lake. Is that just because it's practically off limits to public most of the year or what? I rode there two years in a row 2012/2013 and I wouldn't mind getting out there for any practice or work days if I can.
Ya the Antler Lake track is just used for the Alberta Old Timers events. To many complaining neighbors to have more then a few races a year. They have 1 or 2 ride days that are open to non members. Chaos is the best in the area in my opinion to, family of racers that put pride into the track is seems. And since you live in Sherwood Park like myself it's the closest option.
scooter5002
6/4/2018 3:08pm
Sort of thought Calgary was a little over prepped at times, but that’s just me. Suffering from the MX Pro Sports syndrome. Was just talking with some of the board members at Wild Rose yesterday, they’re talking about a mid day water for the Hill and the East tracks, to improve conditions. They don’t water and prep all three tracks every day, it’s too much. Right now, you have to get there at the right time of the day, when there’s lines pushed in, but it hasn’t dried out to bluegroove. Everyone ride the Hill yesterday, and as usual, one or two lines max. East was filled and watered, no one rode it. Huge dry marbles by 3pm, bit of a handful. Otherwise, one line all the way around. Dry
MK128
6/4/2018 4:05pm
Sort of thought Calgary was a little over prepped at times, but that’s just me. Suffering from the MX Pro Sports syndrome. Was just talking with...
Sort of thought Calgary was a little over prepped at times, but that’s just me. Suffering from the MX Pro Sports syndrome. Was just talking with some of the board members at Wild Rose yesterday, they’re talking about a mid day water for the Hill and the East tracks, to improve conditions. They don’t water and prep all three tracks every day, it’s too much. Right now, you have to get there at the right time of the day, when there’s lines pushed in, but it hasn’t dried out to bluegroove. Everyone ride the Hill yesterday, and as usual, one or two lines max. East was filled and watered, no one rode it. Huge dry marbles by 3pm, bit of a handful. Otherwise, one line all the way around. Dry
I was there yesterday as well. The East track was well prepped, and it was a lot of fun in the morning. Mid day water would have made that track much more enjoyable. The bottom part of that track was so rocky, and marbled that it was not too enjoyable after about noon.

The hill track, although it gets dusty, holds up better I feel then the East track. But mid day water was needed.

Lunch_Box
6/8/2019 8:09am
Closest track to ride near Sherwood Park would be Chaos. Best one in the area in my opinion as well. But for options within 1 hour ish you have BUMP, Chaos, Super Daves, B3 MotoX Park, Xtreme Raceways.
three9zero
6/8/2019 9:42am Edited Date/Time 6/8/2019 9:43am
Sort of thought Calgary was a little over prepped at times, but that’s just me. Suffering from the MX Pro Sports syndrome. Was just talking with...
I no longer live in Calgary, but the moto community there is awesome and they are SO lucky to have that facility. The dirt kinds sucks in Alberta period, but the Calgary club I think does a great job with the soil they have. The best days at the track are when all the fast riders show up just as its opened, prepped, and moist.... the fast crew put in the good lines and you can rail. When the low visor/low goggle strap/baggy pant bush riding crew show up first, all the lines are dead center in the middle of the track, straits, corners, everywhere, track sucks then.......

Post a reply to: Alberta MX Tracks

The Latest