Airstriker vs Lectron

CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
4/24/2019 12:40pm
Possible 10 pager. Thread delivers for sure...
DynoDan22
4/24/2019 12:51pm
The factory two-strokes would blubber and fart until they were baking hot when the AMA passed the unleaded rule. Prior to that, in the MR2 and C12 days, the bikes ran super crisp during warm up. I know this first hand. It was miserable trying to get heat into the bike before the race started. I'm not getting into drama here but a cold engine has always needed a richer mixture on start-up. Besides engine components warming up and tolerances changing, the cold intake passage affects the fuel's ability to stay properly atomized (carbureted bikes) thus affecting AF ratio as well.
Jerkolantern
4/24/2019 1:05pm
Ok ok, I've learned that the Lectron is pretty sweet, and adjusting it is simple, I like that, the kid says he wants his hit though, it doesn't totally go away does it?
I'd like that on my 13 250sx, it's kind of a light switch, so I'm probably going to try one.
He has a 38 airstriker, is that too big? If he HAS to have his hit, I like the 36pwks idea, I just got told he broke the choke or it was broken I don't know. He's 18 questions in general aren't his bag.
Also, what's this "smart carb" mentioned earlier, I'm open to just about anything at this point.
And finally, can 15tc250- Barnett - whomever, chime in on the Lectron, just wondering. Is Barnett the dude from like 2015 that was supposedly a genius? I remember some guy with a degree in this and that got into epic battle's with other vital members who if I remember right, we're pretty damn smart. Those were awesome threads. I'm actually learning a lot in this thread, both about my kids CR and a bunch of shit I never even thought about, you guys know your fuel/air/temp shit big time!
OldPro277
4/24/2019 1:22pm
No-- it doesnt remove the hit, but like others have said, the big "hit" is caused by a typical carburetor's jetting transition inconsistencies from one circuit to another. A Lectron makes the bike feel more like a (dare I say it,lol) 4-strokes linear power curve. If the kid is more concerned with the "feel" than the actual lap-times then you may be wasting your money on a Lectron. Although it still would eliminate a bunch of wasted time on jetting/tuning.

As far as Barnett, no,he was a fairly recent jump-on in the past year and knew EVERYTHING about EVERY subject and would belittle any and all that would debate his superiority. He was laughable at best , and delusionally insane at worst,lol. As far as him being a "genius".... he was ,but only in a tight 5' circle around himself.

The Shop

Jerkolantern
4/24/2019 1:31pm
OldPro277 wrote:
No-- it doesnt remove the hit, but like others have said, the big "hit" is caused by a typical carburetor's jetting transition inconsistencies from one circuit...
No-- it doesnt remove the hit, but like others have said, the big "hit" is caused by a typical carburetor's jetting transition inconsistencies from one circuit to another. A Lectron makes the bike feel more like a (dare I say it,lol) 4-strokes linear power curve. If the kid is more concerned with the "feel" than the actual lap-times then you may be wasting your money on a Lectron. Although it still would eliminate a bunch of wasted time on jetting/tuning.

As far as Barnett, no,he was a fairly recent jump-on in the past year and knew EVERYTHING about EVERY subject and would belittle any and all that would debate his superiority. He was laughable at best , and delusionally insane at worst,lol. As far as him being a "genius".... he was ,but only in a tight 5' circle around himself.
Woohoo
15tc150
4/24/2019 2:05pm
DynoDan22 wrote:
The factory two-strokes would blubber and fart until they were baking hot when the AMA passed the unleaded rule. Prior to that, in the MR2 and...
The factory two-strokes would blubber and fart until they were baking hot when the AMA passed the unleaded rule. Prior to that, in the MR2 and C12 days, the bikes ran super crisp during warm up. I know this first hand. It was miserable trying to get heat into the bike before the race started. I'm not getting into drama here but a cold engine has always needed a richer mixture on start-up. Besides engine components warming up and tolerances changing, the cold intake passage affects the fuel's ability to stay properly atomized (carbureted bikes) thus affecting AF ratio as well.
Not trying to drag you into this, but thank you lol, and as much as I'd love to fullfil some people's emotions of being Barnett, but I promise you, I am surely not him......
But thanks for the vote of confidence
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
4/24/2019 2:53pm
DynoDan22 wrote:
The factory two-strokes would blubber and fart until they were baking hot when the AMA passed the unleaded rule. Prior to that, in the MR2 and...
15tc150 wrote:
Not trying to drag you into this, but thank you lol, and as much as I'd love to fullfil some people's emotions of being Barnett, but...
Not trying to drag you into this, but thank you lol, and as much as I'd love to fullfil some people's emotions of being Barnett, but I promise you, I am surely not him......
Didn’t he just confirm why the choke is used on startup (make it richer) when cold and you have been blabbing that it needs to be leaner for the last few pages?
15tc150
4/24/2019 3:12pm
Ok ok, I've learned that the Lectron is pretty sweet, and adjusting it is simple, I like that, the kid says he wants his hit though...
Ok ok, I've learned that the Lectron is pretty sweet, and adjusting it is simple, I like that, the kid says he wants his hit though, it doesn't totally go away does it?
I'd like that on my 13 250sx, it's kind of a light switch, so I'm probably going to try one.
He has a 38 airstriker, is that too big? If he HAS to have his hit, I like the 36pwks idea, I just got told he broke the choke or it was broken I don't know. He's 18 questions in general aren't his bag.
Also, what's this "smart carb" mentioned earlier, I'm open to just about anything at this point.
And finally, can 15tc250- Barnett - whomever, chime in on the Lectron, just wondering. Is Barnett the dude from like 2015 that was supposedly a genius? I remember some guy with a degree in this and that got into epic battle's with other vital members who if I remember right, we're pretty damn smart. Those were awesome threads. I'm actually learning a lot in this thread, both about my kids CR and a bunch of shit I never even thought about, you guys know your fuel/air/temp shit big time!
I'd really like to Smile , but I really don't have any experience with them first hand, and the examples I do know of, are not myown, but they sound exactly like what the others are saying, high praise, love them, and won't go back. And these are guys on pretty well jetted bikes from the factory and they love and these things, they all said the exact same things, ordered it from the factory setup, and minor tuning tweaks from initial base tune. One more thing to add about "the hit" and "it doesn't pull up top like it did" , well no, it probabaly wont, when you add in a bunch of power where there wasn't, and you bring the midrange numbers up closer to the peak hp numbers, and fill in the power curve, in essence, it should feel lethargic and like a 4, and un eventful, that's what a linear powerband is, and if four stroke mx has taugh the mx world anything, a smooth hooked up, zero spazzing powerband is faster in the dirt than an explosive hard to control tiring powerband. Jerk-o, if I can say anything, either the pwk36s or lectron, your going to be happier than keeping the mikuni
15tc150
4/24/2019 3:13pm
DynoDan22 wrote:
15tc150 wrote:
Not trying to drag you into this, but thank you lol, and as much as I'd love to fullfil some people's emotions of being Barnett, but...
seth505 wrote:
Didn’t he just confirm why the choke is used on startup (make it richer) when cold and you have been blabbing that it needs to be...
Didn’t he just confirm why the choke is used on startup (make it richer) when cold and you have been blabbing that it needs to be leaner for the last few pages?
Iv been trying to say they NEED to be rich at cold start up, so no, not me, other peeps
4/24/2019 3:27pm
re: Same bikes, same route, same speed. MPH and RPM are two different worlds when it comes to fuel efficiency. Not saying you don't know this...
re: Same bikes, same route, same speed.

MPH and RPM are two different worlds when it comes to fuel efficiency. Not saying you don't know this but surprised it isn't taken in to account.
BobPA wrote:
I absolutely agree. I should have mentioned that I am not claiming my findings to be an end all/tell all situation. I just did not see...
I absolutely agree. I should have mentioned that I am not claiming my findings to be an end all/tell all situation. I just did not see the massive fuel mileage claims.

My friends do not like to play with jetting, one owning a 2017 300XC, and the other owning a 2018 300XC. They both bought Lectrons (through my shop actually) and were claiming they were getting “double the amount of mileage” per tank. Flash forward to last year, I also bought a 2018 300XC. We did a few dual sport rides, all over 100 miles. And a few various all day riding sessions. We always had very close to the same amount of fuel in the tank. This is completely anecdotal of course, but you would think a massive gain in fuel mileage would be noticed.
I'm about to do my first long ride with mine this weekend. There's a few places I go with with woods loops that take 2-3+ hours to finish and I used to have about 1/4 of a tank left when getting back to the truck. I'll be interested to see if I can tell a difference.
BR8ES
4/24/2019 3:48pm
Ok ok, I've learned that the Lectron is pretty sweet, and adjusting it is simple, I like that, the kid says he wants his hit though...
If simple means standard Allen heads and pulling a slide from the top, then using a special tool... then sure. My version of simple is a Smart Carb, all external adjustment.

Some like the legacy Lectron better than the HV, a all said and done, carbs need tinkering oftentimes, at least to get to that sweet spot. It is rare to bolt on and go.
Orange
4/25/2019 3:14am
Orange wrote:
Lectrons are more tolerant to temps and elevation, good carbs if you're patient enough to dial them in. I have one I'd possibly trade for a...
Lectrons are more tolerant to temps and elevation, good carbs if you're patient enough to dial them in. I have one I'd possibly trade for a 38mm short body Keihin...

It's a 38 HV
danman
4/25/2019 7:33am
Orange wrote:
Lectrons are more tolerant to temps and elevation, good carbs if you're patient enough to dial them in. I have one I'd possibly trade for a...
Lectrons are more tolerant to temps and elevation, good carbs if you're patient enough to dial them in. I have one I'd possibly trade for a 38mm short body Keihin...

Orange, what bike did you have the Lectron on?
GIwasB4
4/25/2019 8:14am
Sooo the Lectron is actually good...?
OldPro277 wrote:
Jerko-- as someone who has been on here multiple times touting the virtues of the Lectron (i have 6 currently) I can say once again that...
Jerko-- as someone who has been on here multiple times touting the virtues of the Lectron (i have 6 currently) I can say once again that they were as close to spot-on as possible right out of the box. NOW ...let me clarify a little. All of my Lectrons are on Vintage MX'ers. from a 74 Noguchi 175 thru to an 82 Husky 250. They all have performed flawlessly out of the box. Adjusted the powerjet (richened it) a couple of times on the Hannah inspired 80 YZ250G that has the engine maxxed out, and that was only on a couple of crazy hot days at very fast tracks.

I will definitely agree with the guys that say that the power delivery seems smoother and less "pipey" ---which is definitely not a bad thing for lap times, just a 'seat of the pants' more mellow delivery. I will say that all of my bikes run ridiculously crisp and seem to pull as far and long as I dare try. Now again, I'm a 60 yo Intermediate with podium speed,not an 18 yo aspiring AMA Pro. (that was back in the late 70's,lol)

Another thing is I've never tried one on a modern bike, but just got one for my newer YZ144 and haven't bolted it on yet. Hopefully will be able to give a ride report within a couple of weeks.

Get one--- I've never known anyone that regretted buying one.
Sent you a PM
OldPro277
4/25/2019 8:25am Edited Date/Time 4/25/2019 8:36am
GIwasB4 wrote:
Sent you a PM
got it- PM sent back
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
4/25/2019 10:52am Edited Date/Time 4/25/2019 10:53am
This pretty much tells all. And what I'm reading is that the Lectron is good, but not on top and it looked like the first post...
This pretty much tells all. And what I'm reading is that the Lectron is good, but not on top and it looked like the first post with the melted piston shows that, it really scares me. I'll get a pwk36s . I was hoping the Lectron was the easy answer but jetting the bike right every once in a while won't be the end of the world. Thanks again for all of the info, I'm learning...
BR8ES wrote:
I was told to stay away from a 36mm from JD JETTING if I am running moto, I bought a 38 from them until my Smart...
I was told to stay away from a 36mm from JD JETTING if I am running moto, I bought a 38 from them until my Smart Carb SC2 comes in for my 125.
15tc150 wrote:
Eric gorr told me that a 36 is plenty for a 125, and I kinda proved it on my bike when I was running A 36...
Eric gorr told me that a 36 is plenty for a 125, and I kinda proved it on my bike when I was running A 36 with the stock exhaust piping, ie. 23mm id piping, and when I swapped up to a 250sx silencer 26mm I'd piping, and the 38mm carb, I got huge power gains all over, mind you mines a 08 144 sx ported and matched engine in my 2015 tc 125 chassis. But this let me know that carburettor size works in conjunction with exhaust piping size to equalize the flow in and out. Iv never ridden a 125 thats "needed" a 38, even on my tc125 when it was a stock 125 engine ran better and stronger all over minus a TINY bit of top end loss that was completely overshadowed by the around of bottom and mid it gave the bike, revv is in porting, 125's used to come with 30-34mm carbs back in the day, did it make them any less screamy? Not really, plus I find jd jet kits to be garbage, their needle tapers are poor, and too shallow of a increase in fuel delivery, every setting I ever tried with their stuff always ran lean, sounded good revving, but lean bog even with the needle in the 5th clip, anyone that says to stay away from a 36mm carb on a 125 is probs smoking something, even my 2016 125sx, sold that with a 36mm carb, did the kid who bought it notice anything lost up top? Don't think so, it pulled harder all over with the 36, vs how stoggy it was down low with the 38. Let's put it this way. If you can get to wide open power, and the last 1/3-1/4 of throttle turn doesn't add any more pull, almost as if that last bit of the throttle does nothing for acceleration, your carb is OVERSIZED, if it takes pulling the throttle all the way back to get to redline, then your cArb is sized appropriately, too much flow in, with not enough flow out isn't a good thing
Judging by your posts, you got it all figured out ! Unsure

I have a 38 Lectron on my ‘18 KTM SX150 and it runs like a rapped ape ! I didn’t request a 38, that’s what Kevin recommended for my bike. He builds the carbs, I’m guessing that he has a little more knowledge than you, but please carry on with your posts, it’s entertaining to say the least....
4/25/2019 1:02pm Edited Date/Time 4/25/2019 1:13pm
We have about a 5 mile tight woods loop that we’ve been riding for years. We usually do 6 laps for a quick trail ride. With the original carb on the CR I would normally burn over a half a tank in the 30 miles. With the Lectron the fuel level only drops about 3 inches or less doing the exact same 30 miles. This is a tight woods loop, where you’re cracking the throttle and only pin it a handful of times per lap. In these conditions the Lectron undoubtably provides better fuel mileage.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
4/25/2019 1:18pm
Am I the only guy that's never really had jetting issues before??
4/25/2019 2:51pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Consider yourself lucky.

I have a 2005 KX 250 and in the 9 years I've owned it I could never get the pilot jet sorted. The jet size I need doesn't even exist. Worked well on Main Jet, Pilot Screw, Needle and Clip position even if you were off by one or two settings. I ride woods frequently so that was SUPER important for 0-1/4 throttle performance.

My buddies 18 250SX is a diva with jetting and he changes it all the damn time. His 2012 wasn't. He would run the same jetting for most of the year.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
4/25/2019 3:06pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Consider yourself lucky. I have a 2005 KX 250 and in the 9 years I've owned it I could never get the pilot jet sorted. The...
Consider yourself lucky.

I have a 2005 KX 250 and in the 9 years I've owned it I could never get the pilot jet sorted. The jet size I need doesn't even exist. Worked well on Main Jet, Pilot Screw, Needle and Clip position even if you were off by one or two settings. I ride woods frequently so that was SUPER important for 0-1/4 throttle performance.

My buddies 18 250SX is a diva with jetting and he changes it all the damn time. His 2012 wasn't. He would run the same jetting for most of the year.
That's a bummer! We have an 05 KX250 as well that we've had since 04 and we have literally never touched the jetting on it since the day we bought it. Put an FMF pipe and shorty silencer on, stock silencer with the FMF pipe and even the shorty with the stock pipe and have never had any issues. It's always ran great. It would detonate on the every once in a while scenario that we ran pump gas, but otherwise C12 at 40:1 and it runs amazing!
77Moto
4/25/2019 5:31pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Consider yourself lucky. I have a 2005 KX 250 and in the 9 years I've owned it I could never get the pilot jet sorted. The...
Consider yourself lucky.

What size do you need? And No, I've never really had jetting problems before. I did have to drill the largest Mikuni mains out once, but that was for an Alcohol burning Spint.
4/26/2019 2:29pm Edited Date/Time 4/26/2019 2:33pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Consider yourself lucky.

77Moto wrote:
What size do you need? And No, I've never really had jetting problems before. I did have to drill the largest Mikuni mains out once, but...
What size do you need? And No, I've never really had jetting problems before. I did have to drill the largest Mikuni mains out once, but that was for an Alcohol burning Spint.
I have a Lectron now and the 0-1/4 problem went away. I can't justify race fuel for trail riding. TBH, the carb was 14 years old and probably needed a full rebuild to get everything back to spec tolerances again so I just spent that money on a Lectron to taste the kool-aid.

The bike's had a lot of changes since first getting it. Came with Gnarly/Spark Arrestor combo and a needle that went to another bike (still don't know which) that was waaaay to thin and tapered compared to stock. Now it has PC Platinum, 304 and RAD Valve. It ran best with the FMF setup but I hated the characteristics. After everything I did to it, it just liked to be ridden above 1/4 throttle.

For the record, the bike runs great. Not even noticeable at a track. I'm just splitting hairs and it was only ever noticeable in the tight stuff.
5/21/2019 11:14am
I would like to see more discussion from those who have experience with 38mm airstrykers and Lectrons on their 125's for the motocross track.

From what I've read, it seems the Lectron helps with low end bog and will provide a smooth delivery but less on top....while the 38mm airstryker will have bog down low and hit harder on the top?
IanMac138
5/21/2019 11:55am
I would like to see more discussion from those who have experience with 38mm airstrykers and Lectrons on their 125's for the motocross track. From what...
I would like to see more discussion from those who have experience with 38mm airstrykers and Lectrons on their 125's for the motocross track.

From what I've read, it seems the Lectron helps with low end bog and will provide a smooth delivery but less on top....while the 38mm airstryker will have bog down low and hit harder on the top?
I have a Slavens HV Lectron 38 on my 19 150SX. Completely transformed the bike for me. No bogging or blurb at crack of throttle and just rips now. More linear power than stock Mikuni but at the same time, bike just feels more powerful. I strictly ride MX and love the thing.
5/21/2019 4:08pm
I have a 1986 KX125e1. Stock carb was never right and I got sick of trying to get the jetting right (although I never did bring it to a true jetting pro). I put a Lectron on it and it immediately started perfect (still does), idles perfect, runs really crisp. It was a light switch before the Lectron, its a light switch with the Lectron.

I raced it Sunday at Perris, California. I checked the plug and it was lean (tad dry, light tan) after my first moto. I richened the Lectron up 1/4 of a turn with my fingers, no tool needed. I raced my second moto and checked the plug. Again it was lean, just not as bad. I plan to call Lectron (or read the technical paper) to know how to get the plug wet.

I am open minded to all the comments above, especially those way more knowledgeable than me, but I am not yet giving up on the Lectron, mainly because it has been really good to me so far.
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3711th
5/21/2019 4:29pm
I’ve had both they seem to work the same if your jetting is correct on your kehin. Lectron is nice because there not much jetting to do with it. Both good carbs....
5/23/2019 11:07am
We have about a 5 mile tight woods loop that we’ve been riding for years. We usually do 6 laps for a quick trail ride. With...
We have about a 5 mile tight woods loop that we’ve been riding for years. We usually do 6 laps for a quick trail ride. With the original carb on the CR I would normally burn over a half a tank in the 30 miles. With the Lectron the fuel level only drops about 3 inches or less doing the exact same 30 miles. This is a tight woods loop, where you’re cracking the throttle and only pin it a handful of times per lap. In these conditions the Lectron undoubtably provides better fuel mileage.
I believe it because you don't need to open the throttle up as frequently,...you get clean torquey power down low.
5/23/2019 11:10am
If I was to explain what happen to the power delivery of my 1986 KX125 when I put a Lectron on it, it would be this graph I drew; do you guys think this sketch tells a reasonable accurate story of how a Lectron Carb compares to stock or other carbs?

15tc150
5/24/2019 9:28am
Well, if you break down the carbs for their attributes, it's pretty easy to see why each one works in the manor they do. the mikuni will always make more top end than the air striker, or lectron, it's an un obstructed hole, it will flow the most air at high rpm, but also why it's such a stooge down low, rich carb slides are needed to combat the lack of flow at low rpm. The airstriker uses a sort of wing technology with the veins they use, to concentrate a direct flow of air at the jets, to produce better signal lower in the rpm range, by increasing the velocity over the jets to pick up more fuel and add bottom and mid, but there is a catch, those two wings at the bottom of the carb, restrict airflow at high rpm, and overal; won't flow the same cfm, as a regular bore carb. Now the lectron uses keyhole design, and a boost jet to get better fuel flow at all rpm. added velocity by The use of two diameter bores, smaller on bottom and bigger up top means it will take advantage of the smaller bore to create more tunnel velocity at low rpm, then in high rpm, negate the less area of a smaller carb with a large bore up top, to add in top end power, hence why the loss in top end power is noticed by most. The lectron carbs bore is more oval shaped in the bottom 1/4-1/3, and then above that it opens up to a 38mm bore. But there is the caveat of the carb, if it's 38mm up top, and 34-36mm in the lower section of the carb, then how can it flow more air than a mikuni, the added material to make the carb work at lower rpm, once fully opened, can't flow more, and the main reason it doesn't lean out in the middle like the standard carbs, without a boost jet, is the simple fact that it has a boost jet, if you went to dicks racing and got an intellijet installed in your pwk, or mikuni, it would help the midrange lean, and smooth out the delivery in both carbs, ever wondered why yz250s run so good and can roll on effortlessly? It's the electronic boost jet they have, same with kx250's same with rm250's. One thing I can't attest for is the lectrons metering block, I haven't held one, so I can't really say anything about it, but the stick supertorque metering block for the pwk's looks pretty awesome, the stock pwk and mikuni metering blocks work, but probably not like the lectrons do. In no way am I trying to say any one is better than the other, just trying to break down what people are feeling when it comes to these carbs, and where they are gaining and where they are losing power in the rpm range.

Post a reply to: Airstriker vs Lectron

The Latest