Airstriker vs Lectron

Jerkolantern
4/22/2019 9:07pm Edited Date/Time 5/23/2019 11:10am
Son has an 02 CR125, bought an airstriker for it from a fellow here on vital. Got it working way better than stock, but still fiddiling with jetting. The Lectron supposedly is self adjusting, but is it as good performance wise? Would love to skip the jetting sessions if it's a good product, anyone got experience with both? Thanks in advance.
|
tek14
4/23/2019 1:54am
Here is ”self adjusting” Lectron after one day in sand track. With carbs you will need to play with jetting until you get KTM TPi bike. Im sure Lectron works ok for some but its carb.

Pirate421
4/23/2019 2:02am
I don’t think lectrons “self adjust”. I had on on my 2014 Ktm and you still have to make manual adjustments, they are just a bit easier than a standard carb and you don’t need to swap jets.
Orange
4/23/2019 3:15am
Lectrons are more tolerant to temps and elevation, good carbs if you're patient enough to dial them in. I have one I'd possibly trade for a 38mm short body Keihin...

4/23/2019 5:49am
I think it depends on what you are doing with the bike. In tight woods, nothing runs as crisp and clean as a properly dialed in Lectron. You do have to dial them in. All of the adjustments are done externally by turning screws. But for motocross, I’d go with the air striker. Lectrons are lean on the top end.

The Shop

nick610s
4/23/2019 7:01am
The A/S is a great carb regardless, they are usually a couple hundred or more cheaper than a Lectron.. there has been great reviews on the Lectron but they are not self adjusting, just easier to adjust. It takes about 10 mins to change jets for me and usually can figure out a pretty good direction to go after I look at my plug. I put an A/S from a 2000 CR250 on my 04 cr125. It comes with the richer 5.5 slide to start with. It’s the long body carb but it bolts up no problems.
4/23/2019 7:20am
I think it depends on what you are doing with the bike. In tight woods, nothing runs as crisp and clean as a properly dialed in...
I think it depends on what you are doing with the bike. In tight woods, nothing runs as crisp and clean as a properly dialed in Lectron. You do have to dial them in. All of the adjustments are done externally by turning screws. But for motocross, I’d go with the air striker. Lectrons are lean on the top end.
There's only 2 external adjustments on the Lectron carb; Idle, and power jet. The only other adjust is internal and that's the metering rod, and you have to remove the slide to adjust it.
rjg
4/23/2019 2:04pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2019 2:10pm
Dont expect a Lectron carb to make it more powerful than any other of the options. It won't at all. It's strengths are altitude adjustment ( ability within a certain wide range of operation) and fuel mileage increase. It will weaken hit and make it more anemic. They are overall too lean and suffer from delivering enough fuel/lube at the highest rpms. If your rider is fast they will hurt the motor unless they let off
4/23/2019 2:59pm
rjg wrote:
Dont expect a Lectron carb to make it more powerful than any other of the options. It won't at all. It's strengths are altitude adjustment (...
Dont expect a Lectron carb to make it more powerful than any other of the options. It won't at all. It's strengths are altitude adjustment ( ability within a certain wide range of operation) and fuel mileage increase. It will weaken hit and make it more anemic. They are overall too lean and suffer from delivering enough fuel/lube at the highest rpms. If your rider is fast they will hurt the motor unless they let off
re: High rpm's

Even after adjusting the Power Jet?
4/23/2019 4:17pm
I'm giving this review on the Lectron as a guy who paid full price for the carb (nearly $500) without any discounts. I pulled the trigger on it because the thought of not having to constantly rejet was very appealing. With the stock Mikuni TMX38X, there was a very narrow window of perfection with the jetting, but when you found it the bike ran amazing; great power all around, nice overrev, etc. However, jetting in the morning would be different than jetting mid day, and then later in the day i'd have to go back to a similar jetting that i started with in the morning (30*F or so temperature swings from morning to noon). Basically every time i'd go to the track, i'd tear into the carb at least once throughout the day. I was also having issues with the float bowl not sealing properly on the stock Mikuni, so that was another reason to upgrade.

Just installed a Lectron 38HV on my 2004 KX125. I'm basically a pure motocross rider to put things into perspective. Sunday i went to Cahuilla Creek to put it to the test. On a 125, Cahuilla Creek is basically WFO nearly everywhere on the track, and is sandy in some spots which loads the carb very well.

https://youtu.be/jnXMk1XCJz0

My initial impressions are that the bike feels "softer" than my well tuned Mikuni. Power is just smoother and consistent, rather than explosive. Admittedly i have only made some minor metering rod and idle screw adjustments and haven't yet messed with the powerjet. As my bike currently sits, it seems to have lost a touch of overrev that was readily available with my Mikuni. I'm going to try to see if i can dial the powerjet in some, but honestly i'm a bit underwhelmed with it right now. Just about the only advantage in my case at this point is the bike idles perfectly with the Lectron, where i really struggled to find a good idle setting on the Mikuni.

Going to give it some more time and make some more adjustments to give it a fair chance. Hoping that I can find a great setting and then never have to touch it again.
BR8ES
4/23/2019 5:10pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2019 5:13pm
It isnt called a Lesstron for nothing, some like them.. I hate them. Whereas I have good things to say about Smart Carbs, have a SC2 coming shortly.

The Keihin AG Short Body is a solid carb, but just like any carb, needs fine tuning.

Not sure how the self tuning myth has come into such frequent mentions online.
Pirate421
4/23/2019 6:23pm
I'm giving this review on the Lectron as a guy who paid full price for the carb (nearly $500) without any discounts. I pulled the trigger...
I'm giving this review on the Lectron as a guy who paid full price for the carb (nearly $500) without any discounts. I pulled the trigger on it because the thought of not having to constantly rejet was very appealing. With the stock Mikuni TMX38X, there was a very narrow window of perfection with the jetting, but when you found it the bike ran amazing; great power all around, nice overrev, etc. However, jetting in the morning would be different than jetting mid day, and then later in the day i'd have to go back to a similar jetting that i started with in the morning (30*F or so temperature swings from morning to noon). Basically every time i'd go to the track, i'd tear into the carb at least once throughout the day. I was also having issues with the float bowl not sealing properly on the stock Mikuni, so that was another reason to upgrade.

Just installed a Lectron 38HV on my 2004 KX125. I'm basically a pure motocross rider to put things into perspective. Sunday i went to Cahuilla Creek to put it to the test. On a 125, Cahuilla Creek is basically WFO nearly everywhere on the track, and is sandy in some spots which loads the carb very well.

My initial impressions are that the bike feels "softer" than my well tuned Mikuni. Power is just smoother and consistent, rather than explosive. Admittedly i have only made some minor metering rod and idle screw adjustments and haven't yet messed with the powerjet. As my bike currently sits, it seems to have lost a touch of overrev that was readily available with my Mikuni. I'm going to try to see if i can dial the powerjet in some, but honestly i'm a bit underwhelmed with it right now. Just about the only advantage in my case at this point is the bike idles perfectly with the Lectron, where i really struggled to find a good idle setting on the Mikuni.

Going to give it some more time and make some more adjustments to give it a fair chance. Hoping that I can find a great setting and then never have to touch it again.
Same there here on my Ktm. I was constantly adjusting the lectron. It idled and started amazing but never ran as I thought it should, took all the hit out of the bike and it just felt slow and kind of gutless. I went to a jd kit to try and the thing absolutely ripped. It ran so much stronger and even sounded way better. I was not a fan of the lectron at all
15tc150
4/23/2019 6:54pm
Both have their strong points, if your going keihin, order a pwk36s from a 04-16 250sx, I had one on my 02 and it worked reaaaaaallly well. Both the pwk airstryker and the lectron have their gimics as to why they are better than the mikuni, lectron works off of a not so round carburetor bore, its more of a keyhole style carb, with a smaller bore diameter at the bottom to aid low end velocity right off idle, and then open up to a bigger bore to aid top performance. the added adjustable boost jet will help sort out midrange leaning issues and that will aid roll on, but the downfall of the lectron is unless they make a 36mm carb to match your intake block, then a 38 would be useless and probably loose power due to the missmatch of the the intake block and carb, unless you get the intake block matched to the bigger carb, but as far as a 125 goes, Iv run the pwk36s on my 02 cr125 when i owned it, and once jetted propertly for the mods and conditions, it worked very well, 36mm carbs are plenty enough flow for a 125, and the bottom end loss of going to a 38mm carb unless it's a lectron, isn't worth it as it robs so much usable power in comparison to the sliver of top end you gain over a 36 with a 38mm carb. I really can't comment on how lectrons run, I know people that have them and love them, but I can tell you without a doubt that the pwk36s in that exact bike, works awesome, hope that helps! and go with what you feel confident and competent with Smile
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3665th
4/23/2019 6:55pm
It’s hard to beat a well jetted carb.
15tc150
4/23/2019 7:09pm
I'm giving this review on the Lectron as a guy who paid full price for the carb (nearly $500) without any discounts. I pulled the trigger...

Ps, if your bike runs crisp when it's first fired up and cold, itle run lean when it's hot
4/23/2019 7:17pm
15tc150 wrote:
Ps, if your bike runs crisp when it's first fired up and cold, itle run lean when it's hot
Huh???? If the bike fires up and runs crisp when its cold, that means it's too rich for normal (hotter) temperatures. More fuel is required for colder engines than hotter engines, so if its not lean as heck without choke on a cold engine, chances are its too rich for normal temps.

But regardless, i'd never fire up my motor cold and rev it like that. The startup clips in that video were on warm engines.

Jerkolantern
4/23/2019 7:40pm
15tc150 wrote:
Both have their strong points, if your going keihin, order a pwk36s from a 04-16 250sx, I had one on my 02 and it worked reaaaaaallly...
Both have their strong points, if your going keihin, order a pwk36s from a 04-16 250sx, I had one on my 02 and it worked reaaaaaallly well. Both the pwk airstryker and the lectron have their gimics as to why they are better than the mikuni, lectron works off of a not so round carburetor bore, its more of a keyhole style carb, with a smaller bore diameter at the bottom to aid low end velocity right off idle, and then open up to a bigger bore to aid top performance. the added adjustable boost jet will help sort out midrange leaning issues and that will aid roll on, but the downfall of the lectron is unless they make a 36mm carb to match your intake block, then a 38 would be useless and probably loose power due to the missmatch of the the intake block and carb, unless you get the intake block matched to the bigger carb, but as far as a 125 goes, Iv run the pwk36s on my 02 cr125 when i owned it, and once jetted propertly for the mods and conditions, it worked very well, 36mm carbs are plenty enough flow for a 125, and the bottom end loss of going to a 38mm carb unless it's a lectron, isn't worth it as it robs so much usable power in comparison to the sliver of top end you gain over a 36 with a 38mm carb. I really can't comment on how lectrons run, I know people that have them and love them, but I can tell you without a doubt that the pwk36s in that exact bike, works awesome, hope that helps! and go with what you feel confident and competent with Smile
This pretty much tells all. And what I'm reading is that the Lectron is good, but not on top and it looked like the first post with the melted piston shows that, it really scares me. I'll get a pwk36s . I was hoping the Lectron was the easy answer but jetting the bike right every once in a while won't be the end of the world. Thanks again for all of the info, I'm learning...
15tc150
4/23/2019 8:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2019 8:28pm
15tc150 wrote:
Huh???? If the bike fires up and runs crisp when its cold, that means it's too rich for normal (hotter) temperatures. More fuel is required for...
Huh???? If the bike fires up and runs crisp when its cold, that means it's too rich for normal (hotter) temperatures. More fuel is required for colder engines than hotter engines, so if its not lean as heck without choke on a cold engine, chances are its too rich for normal temps.

But regardless, i'd never fire up my motor cold and rev it like that. The startup clips in that video were on warm engines.

15tc150
4/23/2019 8:23pm
15tc150 wrote:
Huh???? If the bike fires up and runs crisp when its cold, that means it's too rich for normal (hotter) temperatures. More fuel is required for...

If your bike runs crisp and clean when you fire it up, it's going to run lean when it gets hot, your bike should gargle and and not even want to rev as soon as it's fired up from a cold state, like, a cold engine, as in never been fired today sorta thing. Because, as your engine gets hotter the temps are going to heat up the fuel going into the engine, and that's going to reduce the fuels ability to be compressed without detonating, so more fuel is needed to help the fuel stay cooler and more easily compressed, If your trying to roll on the Throttle, and it doesn't want to come up in rpm, like roll on like a engine should, that is a lean issue, not a rich issue, a sputter or a hiccup or a cough, inability to rev, that's a rich situation. Easy stand test is fire the bike up on the stand let it warm up to temp, and then SLOWLY roll on the throttle, if it gets to 1/8th throttle, 1/7th throttle, even to 1/4 throttle, and your engine all of a sudden lean spikes and revs out istantaneously, your carb is jetted too lean. to be honest your bike sounds like it's not revving because your not fueling it, not enough fuel in the combustion chamber to come up under load, and your engine is stalling because it's only bringing in enough fuel to sustain that certain rpm, and it can't climb past that point, till stab-o-the clutch, rpm spikes and the engine breathes enough and gets enough flow through the carburetor to make the jets pull enough fuel to get the bike to overcome the lean situation, if your not getting enough fuel, your not getting enough oil, if your not getting enough oil, your eating your cylinder
15tc150
4/23/2019 8:33pm
Even mxa says some of their 2 stroke bike reviews to go to a richer main on hot days or loamy tracks
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
4/23/2019 8:39pm
15tc150 wrote:
Both have their strong points, if your going keihin, order a pwk36s from a 04-16 250sx, I had one on my 02 and it worked reaaaaaallly...
This pretty much tells all. And what I'm reading is that the Lectron is good, but not on top and it looked like the first post...
This pretty much tells all. And what I'm reading is that the Lectron is good, but not on top and it looked like the first post with the melted piston shows that, it really scares me. I'll get a pwk36s . I was hoping the Lectron was the easy answer but jetting the bike right every once in a while won't be the end of the world. Thanks again for all of the info, I'm learning...
I’ve had ZERO issues on either of my bikes with the Lectron. I’ve purchased straight from Lectron and had the carb set up for my bike (fuel/ pipe/ ignition/ type of riding/ etc) Both bikes have ran perfect and they were both a bolt on and ride deal. (‘04 RM250 and a ‘18 KTM SX150) Riding motocross....

There are about a dozen of my friends who have purchased the Lectron and all but one is happy with them, and he’s not hating it, but he said he wouldn’t buy another one. On the other hand, a few of my friends have bought more than 1. Bikes range from 125’s, 250’s, 300’s and even an older Honda CR500. Some off-road, some MX, all with great results.

In my opinion, the Lectron May have taken away some of the hard hit that some guys like. They tend to smooth out the power and make the bike a little less of a handful. They aren’t for the very one, it’s a personal choice. But that doesn’t mean that they aren’t for faster riders either. Just take a look at their Instagram page or the results of the 2-stroke Nationals last weekend.... There were several of the faster guys, including the top 2 in the open class. (Wageman and Gardner) Bowers 500, along with Cody Schock and Mike Browns YZ250, had a Lectron on them.
LaFountain and a few others were running them too.

I’m not sure how many guys had them on at RBSR, but there were several. Carson Brown and AJ Cantazaro had them on the 125’s. They were 1st and 2nd on the podium. There were a couple in the open class too. Hell, even Bill and Chase Elliot run them... lol

My point is that they do indeed work very well for some (including very good pro caliber guys), but the way they change the power delivery may not appeal to everyone.
15tc150
4/23/2019 9:15pm
To be honest, that 2 stroke "hit" erbody likes is just a mistimed powervalve, and a poorly jetted carb
Jerkolantern
4/23/2019 9:27pm
langhammx wrote:
I’ve had ZERO issues on either of my bikes with the Lectron. I’ve purchased straight from Lectron and had the carb set up for my bike...
I’ve had ZERO issues on either of my bikes with the Lectron. I’ve purchased straight from Lectron and had the carb set up for my bike (fuel/ pipe/ ignition/ type of riding/ etc) Both bikes have ran perfect and they were both a bolt on and ride deal. (‘04 RM250 and a ‘18 KTM SX150) Riding motocross....

There are about a dozen of my friends who have purchased the Lectron and all but one is happy with them, and he’s not hating it, but he said he wouldn’t buy another one. On the other hand, a few of my friends have bought more than 1. Bikes range from 125’s, 250’s, 300’s and even an older Honda CR500. Some off-road, some MX, all with great results.

In my opinion, the Lectron May have taken away some of the hard hit that some guys like. They tend to smooth out the power and make the bike a little less of a handful. They aren’t for the very one, it’s a personal choice. But that doesn’t mean that they aren’t for faster riders either. Just take a look at their Instagram page or the results of the 2-stroke Nationals last weekend.... There were several of the faster guys, including the top 2 in the open class. (Wageman and Gardner) Bowers 500, along with Cody Schock and Mike Browns YZ250, had a Lectron on them.

I’m not sure how many guys had them on at RBSR, but there were several. Carson Brown and AJ Cantazaro had them on the 125’s. They were 1st and 2nd on the podium. There were a couple in the open class too. Hell, even Bill and Chase Elliot run them... lol

My point is that they do indeed work very well for some (including very good pro caliber guys), but the way they change the power delivery may not appeal to everyone.
I'm getting confused.... Why did the guys piston melt in the beginning of this thread, did he not have the Lectron adjusted properly? I can live with or without the hit, I think he'd have better lap times without, but I don't wanna screw anything up. Obviously if the guys running them you mentioned are kicking ass they're not making less power, I'm somewhat of a novice at jetting, I'll get it right eventually, but it's frustrating for me, the Lectron seems a lot easier, but seeing melted Pistons kinda makes me say yikes
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
4/23/2019 9:42pm Edited Date/Time 4/23/2019 9:48pm
langhammx wrote:
I’ve had ZERO issues on either of my bikes with the Lectron. I’ve purchased straight from Lectron and had the carb set up for my bike...

I'm getting confused.... Why did the guys piston melt in the beginning of this thread, did he not have the Lectron adjusted properly? I can live...
I'm getting confused.... Why did the guys piston melt in the beginning of this thread, did he not have the Lectron adjusted properly? I can live with or without the hit, I think he'd have better lap times without, but I don't wanna screw anything up. Obviously if the guys running them you mentioned are kicking ass they're not making less power, I'm somewhat of a novice at jetting, I'll get it right eventually, but it's frustrating for me, the Lectron seems a lot easier, but seeing melted Pistons kinda makes me say yikes
I can’t speak for the guy who posted that, but I’ve never heard of anything like that. My suggestion is if you decide to try one, which I obviously suggest, buy it from Lectron and have it dialed in from them, before they ship it. None of my friends have touched them since they installed them, nor have I....

There’s a lot of people that buy a used one and put it on a bike that it wasn’t intended to be used on.They have different sized bodies and different metering rods. Get one dialed for your bike and you will be a believer....
15tc150
4/23/2019 10:02pm
It's not just lectrons that melt pistons, any improperly tuned carb will eat an engine, it's truly down to tuning
nytsmaC
4/23/2019 11:40pm
Some of the ‘hit’ that you feel with a traditional carb is the transitions from the different jetting circuits, basically flaws in the jetting. The lectron is smooth and seamless fueling, like what you would expect from fuel injection.

I ran a lectron 38 on my Husky CR165 (125 big bored) and it was great. It did lose a little snap off the bottom but it felt like it gave the bike an extra 1000+ rpm up top, huge gain! The only way the Mikuni even came close was running oxygenated race gas with a ridiculously big main jet. At $35/gallon, and guzzling it. The Lectron had even better too end power just running C12, and only using about 60% as much of it.

It did take some tinkering to get it perfect, by means of a custom metering rod and shortened power jet tube, but the guys at Lectron were very helpful.

I tried the same carb on 3 other bikes and had issues with all of them, I should have sent it back to Lectron for updated and reconfiguration specific to these other bikes but never got around to it.

I loved how easy this carb was to adjust. Loosen clamps, rotate sideways and pull out the slide. No need to remove from the bike to get inside the float bowl, ever.
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3665th
4/24/2019 3:35am
It specifically says in the instructions from lectron to open the the power jet for more fuel on sand tracks.
kb228
4/24/2019 4:09am
CrGuy2T wrote:
It specifically says in the instructions from lectron to open the the power jet for more fuel on sand tracks.
Everything is junk when you dont use it correctly.
BR8ES
4/24/2019 4:27am Edited Date/Time 4/24/2019 4:27am
15tc150 wrote:
This pretty much tells all. And what I'm reading is that the Lectron is good, but not on top and it looked like the first post...
I was told to stay away from a 36mm from JD JETTING if I am running moto, I bought a 38 from them until my Smart Carb SC2 comes in for my 125.
4/24/2019 5:23am
How to know IF its lean with the lectron on top?
DYno ?
Have te250, dont want a failure...
No comments from lectron ?!
BobPA
4/24/2019 5:52am Edited Date/Time 4/24/2019 6:26am
15tc150 wrote:
Even mxa says some of their 2 stroke bike reviews to go to a richer main on hot days or loamy tracks
You are backwards on your theory for warmer days. Warmer air is less dense which equals less oxygen. Warmer temps require leaner jetting.

Also your theory on cold starts is backwards. Why do cold engines want to be choked? They need more fuel....aka lean on start up. An engine that fires right up perfectly cold is most likely going to be rich when at operating temps. Nothing to do with fuel temps.

Post a reply to: Airstriker vs Lectron

The Latest