Airoh helmets - where to buy?

Edited Date/Time 12/18/2015 1:58pm
Who has the best deals on them? Looks like a lot of places are out of stock motosport, motorcycle superstore etc. Anyone ever purchase from the Airoh USA webstore? I'm looking into the white aviator 2.1.

Thanks!

Edit: Also, are they true to size? My 2 HJC's are large and fit great.
|
ti473
4/13/2015 8:01am
service honda

The Shop

lamy962
4/13/2015 4:12pm
Who has the best deals on them? Looks like a lot of places are out of stock motosport, motorcycle superstore etc. Anyone ever purchase from the...
Who has the best deals on them? Looks like a lot of places are out of stock motosport, motorcycle superstore etc. Anyone ever purchase from the Airoh USA webstore? I'm looking into the white aviator 2.1.

Thanks!

Just called the distributor (SpeedMob) and they said they're on backorder for a little while.. couldn't get a firm eta but it sounds like at least 1-2 months right now. As for size, I got to try one out and I'm a MD in most every helmet, HJC being one, and a LG fit me pretty good. Every head is different though so it's a tough call on the size..
4/14/2015 6:14am
Who has the best deals on them? Looks like a lot of places are out of stock motosport, motorcycle superstore etc. Anyone ever purchase from the...

Thanks!

lamy962 wrote:
Just called the distributor (SpeedMob) and they said they're on backorder for a little while.. couldn't get a firm eta but it sounds like at least...
Just called the distributor (SpeedMob) and they said they're on backorder for a little while.. couldn't get a firm eta but it sounds like at least 1-2 months right now. As for size, I got to try one out and I'm a MD in most every helmet, HJC being one, and a LG fit me pretty good. Every head is different though so it's a tough call on the size..
Thanks for the info. No one has them in stock it's crazy. Even the airoh america website says they don't stock them and estimate 20-30 days shipped Sad
Cygnus
4/14/2015 6:17am Edited Date/Time 4/14/2015 6:17am

Thanks!

lamy962 wrote:
Just called the distributor (SpeedMob) and they said they're on backorder for a little while.. couldn't get a firm eta but it sounds like at least...
Thanks for the info. No one has them in stock it's crazy. Even the airoh america website says they don't stock them and estimate 20-30 days...
Thanks for the info. No one has them in stock it's crazy. Even the airoh america website says they don't stock them and estimate 20-30 days shipped Sad
I had this same issue with shark back in 06-7. They kept saying 30 days then 30 days later they said another 30 days. I finally bought an M2R on clearance. Now I'm ready for a new lid again. Time to check the close out deals on the better lids.
4/14/2015 7:20am
lamy962 wrote:
Thanks for the info. No one has them in stock it's crazy. Even the airoh america website says they don't stock them and estimate 20-30 days...
Cygnus wrote:
I had this same issue with shark back in 06-7. They kept saying 30 days then 30 days later they said another 30 days. I finally...
I had this same issue with shark back in 06-7. They kept saying 30 days then 30 days later they said another 30 days. I finally bought an M2R on clearance. Now I'm ready for a new lid again. Time to check the close out deals on the better lids.
That's a good point. I don't want to be waiting on a new helmet half the season.
Darryl916
4/14/2015 10:15am

Thanks!

Fellow Marylander, shoot me a DM
5/4/2015 6:40am
Just wanted to update this thread as others may find it useful! I ended up buying the aviator 2.1 valor from motordiscounter on ebay. Paid significantly less than I have seen this helmet listed for in all the US stores (which are out of stock). Shipping took about 2 wks, not bad for coming overseas!

-This thing is light, to state the obvious

-Came with a nice bag, visor extender, vent covers, and go pro mount

-Very compact. the chin guard is close to your face and the goggle window is fairly small

-Too small in fact to fit my 100%'s but my dragons worked fine

-Venting is top notch

-Great fitment. I wear a large and it was true to size

-The back of the helmet comes down a bit farther than my HJC did, limits movement if wearing a Leatt

-Quality as a whole is amazing!

Overall a great helmet and would highly suggest! Of course all my Shoei/Arai wearing friends are asking why I didn't get one of those but they had nothing to say when I said do some research on the Airoh. Don't knock a helmet you've never worn!
12/13/2015 4:33pm Edited Date/Time 12/13/2015 4:33pm
I just bought a 2016 Airoh. Had to be shipped from Italy.

Kinda bummed because I ordered a medium. I normally wear size SMALL helmets. It feels a little big. I prefer really snug fitting helmets. Everyone's reviews online have said that the Airoh stuff runs small so I figured I'd order a size big. I think I made a mistake. Too expensive to ship back to Italy.

Does anyone know how they do the sizing? Do they simply change the size of the padding inside or is the shell itself a different size?

I wish there was a American dealer that might be kind and let me exchange this helmet if I covered the shipping.
12/13/2015 5:03pm
I just bought a 2016 Airoh. Had to be shipped from Italy. Kinda bummed because I ordered a medium. I normally wear size SMALL helmets. It...
I just bought a 2016 Airoh. Had to be shipped from Italy.

Kinda bummed because I ordered a medium. I normally wear size SMALL helmets. It feels a little big. I prefer really snug fitting helmets. Everyone's reviews online have said that the Airoh stuff runs small so I figured I'd order a size big. I think I made a mistake. Too expensive to ship back to Italy.

Does anyone know how they do the sizing? Do they simply change the size of the padding inside or is the shell itself a different size?

I wish there was a American dealer that might be kind and let me exchange this helmet if I covered the shipping.
Man, that's a bummer! I thought mine fit pretty true to size. I couldn't find anywhere in the U.S. that had them in stock to begin with so finding a place to exchange it may be difficult.
12/13/2015 5:21pm
Man, that's a bummer! I thought mine fit pretty true to size. I couldn't find anywhere in the U.S. that had them in stock to begin...
Man, that's a bummer! I thought mine fit pretty true to size. I couldn't find anywhere in the U.S. that had them in stock to begin with so finding a place to exchange it may be difficult.
Yeah, it sucks. I had to wait about 6 weeks for this helmet as well. Gotta love Italian customs. I definitely wont be trying to send it back thru that mess.

My options are to order thicker padding (if they use the same size shell for all their models, not sure if they do)

or

Re-Order the smaller size and then list the size that doesnt fit as well on eBay for what I paid for it. Someone would surely buy it I would think.

nytsmaC
12/13/2015 5:26pm
I seem to recall reading that the S/M used one size shell and L/XL shared another. If so you should be able to just order the different liner.
12/13/2015 5:47pm Edited Date/Time 12/13/2015 5:47pm
nytsmaC wrote:
I seem to recall reading that the S/M used one size shell and L/XL shared another. If so you should be able to just order the...
I seem to recall reading that the S/M used one size shell and L/XL shared another. If so you should be able to just order the different liner.
That's the info I was looking for. Thanks.

If I could call a local dealer I could confirm it. If not, I guess I'll have to brush up on my Italian and send a email. Merde!
brocsdad
12/13/2015 6:15pm
Buy a JUST 1 Helmet...

Crazy light and great quality
12/13/2015 7:07pm
brocsdad wrote:
Buy a JUST 1 Helmet...

I was going to. Until they cancelled the "Salvini" edition I had my heart set on.

brocsdad
12/13/2015 7:12pm
brocsdad wrote:
Buy a JUST 1 Helmet...

I was going to. Until they cancelled the "Salvini" edition I had my heart set on.[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/12/13/115112/s1200_Alex_Salvini_GP_Italy_2015_special_edition_1.jpg[/img]
I was going to. Until they cancelled the "Salvini" edition I had my heart set on.

We have been sponsored for the last year but some of new designs have not made their way to the states. They do have some new colorways coming out. I'm sure they will have something you will like.
fox1nz
12/13/2015 9:26pm
I heard the guy the used to run #6 mxgp say he would never wear a Airoh if he had to pay for it.
keith101
12/13/2015 9:43pm
fox1nz wrote:
I heard the guy the used to run #6 mxgp say he would never wear a Airoh if he had to pay for it.
Maybe listen to the #1 MXGP guy?

fox1nz
12/13/2015 9:52pm
fox1nz wrote:
keith101 wrote:
Maybe listen to the #1 MXGP guy? [img]http://static.mxonline.prod.fishcms.cz/media/image/airoh_cairoli_mxgp_9_it_2015-5.jpg[/img]

He don't buy his either. CUSTOM.
keith101
12/13/2015 10:00pm
fox1nz wrote:
keith101 wrote:
Maybe listen to the #1 MXGP guy? [img]http://static.mxonline.prod.fishcms.cz/media/image/airoh_cairoli_mxgp_9_it_2015-5.jpg[/img]

fox1nz wrote:
He don't buy his either. CUSTOM.
no idea what the hell you are trying to communicate other than to bash a helmet brand. Give up already.
12/13/2015 10:32pm Edited Date/Time 12/13/2015 10:34pm
fox1nz wrote:
Lotsa concussions in relation to these ultra light helmets. There's no doubt about that. Ur MXGP buddy's sentiments aren't something I haven't heard/witnessed.

The Airoh's might not be the most protective, but I'm pretty happy with their build quality. No complaints there, I really like the quality of the product. They may not make for the safest MX helmet but I'm not buying this for the MX track.

And if safety is the ultimate concern, MX isn't your sport. Or do like me, ride within your limits.
12/13/2015 10:38pm Edited Date/Time 12/13/2015 10:39pm
keith101 wrote:
no idea what the hell you are trying to communicate other than to bash a helmet brand. Give up already.
If he's implying that Airoh's sacrifice safety for light weight, I would be inclined to agree with him.

If he's implying that the sponsored riders get a different quality of product than what is sold, I haven't seen that. But I might be wrong. Wouldn't be new to this sport. Nearly everything else the riders use is custom/works.
keith101
12/13/2015 10:41pm
keith101 wrote:
If he's implying that Airoh's sacrifice safety for light weight, I would be inclined to agree with him. If he's implying that the sponsored riders get...
If he's implying that Airoh's sacrifice safety for light weight, I would be inclined to agree with him.

If he's implying that the sponsored riders get a different quality of product than what is sold, I haven't seen that. But I might be wrong. Wouldn't be new to this sport. Nearly everything else the riders use is custom/works.
"One who talks shit and doesn't back it up, but rather ends up eating their shit in return. A fuckin 'tard."
Moto520
12/14/2015 6:59am
Ok....so.....I have a couple of Airoh helmets. If you order from overseas you get the ECE version that is not DOT approved. Do some research on the DOT testing procedure and determine if you feel comfortable with what you read. To import the into the US....they had to make the shell thicker in order to pass the DOT standards. The US version is slightly heavier than the European version. Just research the ECE, DOT thing and it sheds a lot of light on the problems with the protection standards. The European ECE version is designed light and with a softer shell for a reason.

12/14/2015 11:32am
Moto520 wrote:
Ok....so.....I have a couple of Airoh helmets. If you order from overseas you get the ECE version that is not DOT approved. Do some research on...
Ok....so.....I have a couple of Airoh helmets. If you order from overseas you get the ECE version that is not DOT approved. Do some research on the DOT testing procedure and determine if you feel comfortable with what you read. To import the into the US....they had to make the shell thicker in order to pass the DOT standards. The US version is slightly heavier than the European version. Just research the ECE, DOT thing and it sheds a lot of light on the problems with the protection standards. The European ECE version is designed light and with a softer shell for a reason.

Thanks for that info. Good stuff. Ive personally only ever used/handled the Euro versions so I dont know the difference (heck, I didnt even know there was a difference).

I emailed Airoh and they did email me back immediately. They are very upfront about the ECE stuff.

Shells are the same size. It's the liner/padding that is different. So I'll just order new liner/padding. Crisis averted.
floridaflash
12/14/2015 12:35pm
You guys really need to do your homework when it comes to concussions and the weight of helmets, think about the speed you are going and the whip effect when your head hits the ground, the more weight you have on your head the more Gs are going to transfer. Also there is no such thing as a helmet that will stop a concussion, it is from the way our brains are in our skull, when you have a sudden stop the brain still keeps going, many car racers have died from this and have never hit there head against anything inside the car. I for one on a dirt bike would want the lightest beast built helmet I could get, from my research the ECE is way ahead of DOT standards
TeamGreen
12/14/2015 2:39pm
Airoh has recently changed importers in the U.S. & there's a new model/model change going on.

I'll ask their race-rep what's up and I'll report back.
12/14/2015 2:47pm
You guys really need to do your homework when it comes to concussions and the weight of helmets, think about the speed you are going and...
You guys really need to do your homework when it comes to concussions and the weight of helmets, think about the speed you are going and the whip effect when your head hits the ground, the more weight you have on your head the more Gs are going to transfer. Also there is no such thing as a helmet that will stop a concussion, it is from the way our brains are in our skull, when you have a sudden stop the brain still keeps going, many car racers have died from this and have never hit there head against anything inside the car. I for one on a dirt bike would want the lightest beast built helmet I could get, from my research the ECE is way ahead of DOT standards
I'll admit, I havent done any real "homework" on the issue. My opinions have nothing to do with DOT vs ECE. And I have no doubt youre right in your claim that ECE > DOT in terms of safety standards. We already see how bad the FDA regulates our food in comparison to EU food standards.

Ive just personally seen a correlation between the use of these ultra light helmets and concussions. To say one causes the other is irresponsible on my part. But Im not going to ignore the circumstantial evidence either. Has it stopped me from buying a Airoh? No. They are comfortable as hell and the best looking helmet on the market IMO. As for safety, trying not to crash goes a long ways.

Post a reply to: Airoh helmets - where to buy?

The Latest