Airoh Aviator: My thoughts

Related:
Create New Tag

12/24/2017 6:50 AM

Preface: I love the look of the Aviator 2.2, the light weight and the seemingly massive ventilation system are what attracted me initially to this helmet.

Now that I own one: Yes its super light, compared to my Moto 9 it was almost 2 lbs lighter on my kitchen scale both in mediums. On your head you notice it when you first put it on but really after that you don't. I would have assumed the venting would have been epic in the Airoh however I find that not to be the case, at least not to my expectations. About the only thing I feel coming through those vents is dirt...A LOT of dirt. I also find the interior of the Aviator to be a bit scratchy compared to the Bell, and removing the liner is a much bigger PITA. I also find the little soft pad that sits against your chin to protect it from the strap is about useless and allows the bare strap to sit against your skin.

Scary Part I race in the woods, its a fairly common occurrence to bump my head off small tree limbs, brush etc. The sound this Airoh makes is a very sharp crack sound over the dull thud I would hear when doing the same thing in my Bell. I must say I've bumped a few things pretty hard and rang my bell a little bit with this thing on. Makes me a bit nervous if I were to actually hit the ground hard.

Now this is 100% my experience, nothing scientific and I don't want to start a forum war of helmet safety, just my experience with the Airoh. Bottom line for me, I don't think I'll be purchasing another one anytime soon. Probably be going back to the Bell, however the new helmet from UFO looks pretty appealing.

|

12/24/2017 7:02 AM

I think if you are ringing you bell by bumping your head off small branches, you shouldn’t be riding a motorcycle.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

12/24/2017 10:18 AM

Almost 2 pounds lighter you say.
I'm thinking that at least 50% of that weight savings is making the helmet less safe.

|

12/24/2017 11:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2017 11:13 AM

BobPA wrote:

I think if you are ringing you bell by bumping your head off small branches, you shouldn’t be riding a motorcycle.

According to the internets the bell Moto 9 is 1450 grams and the Aviator 2.2 is 950 grams. A difference of 500 grams, or 1.1 lbs.

Edit: Did not want to quote myself.

|

Tomac and/or Anderson for 2020.....

12/24/2017 12:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2017 12:11 PM

BobPA wrote:

I think if you are ringing you bell by bumping your head off small branches, you shouldn’t be riding a motorcycle.

Trolling, It's part of the sport. Impossible to avoid.

|

12/24/2017 12:14 PM

Everythings a compromise in life. For a guy like me with neck pain after a day of racing, the light weight is worth the trade off.

|

12/24/2017 12:53 PM

Excracingteam.com wrote:

Almost 2 pounds lighter you say.
I'm thinking that at least 50% of that weight savings is making the helmet less safe.

Nah, never 50%, I would say more 27.5%

|

12/24/2017 1:23 PM

BobPA wrote:

I think if you are ringing you bell by bumping your head off small branches, you shouldn’t be riding a motorcycle.

rjg wrote:

Trolling, It's part of the sport. Impossible to avoid.

Some people eat paint chips man, they can't help it.

|

12/24/2017 1:39 PM

BobPA wrote:

According to the internets the bell Moto 9 is 1450 grams and the Aviator 2.2 is 950 grams. A difference of 500 grams, or 1.1 lbs.

Edit: Did not want to quote myself.

My Airoh Aviator 2.2 in size medium is said to be 950 +/- 50grams, real weigth on scale 1030 grams.

Bell Moto 9 Carbon claims to be 1450 in the size I use which is large, real weigth on scale 1320 grams.

Also only the smaller size shells (medium and lower) on the Aviators are 950 +/- 50g, large is 1050 +/- 50g.

|

12/24/2017 1:49 PM

My big ass head didn’t fit the Aviator 2.2. Wasn’t overly impressed with the build quality of it either. Went with a Moto 9 Carbon Flex. It seems like the build quality is solid and I like the idea of the Flex technology for some impacts.

|

12/24/2017 1:57 PM

The helmet should be weight just after a long hot ride. I found my old Arai MX Pro ( Removable chin guard was light in its day) used to give me neck pain. Found the foam was absorbing sweat and getting heavy while riding. Went to Troy Lee and the venting kept the helmet light while riding. On scale before ride Troy lee might have been slightly heavier ? Just a thought. Those Airohs are not comfortable when fitting and old ones look really bad when worn a lot. They are basically MTB helmets. Look at MTB helmets they are just a light and comparable protection.

|

12/24/2017 3:07 PM

VRR7 wrote:

The helmet should be weight just after a long hot ride. I found my old Arai MX Pro ( Removable chin guard was light in its day) used to give me neck pain. Found the foam was absorbing sweat and getting heavy while riding. Went to Troy Lee and the venting kept the helmet light while riding. On scale before ride Troy lee might have been slightly heavier ? Just a thought. Those Airohs are not comfortable when fitting and old ones look really bad when worn a lot. They are basically MTB helmets. Look at MTB helmets they are just a light and comparable protection.

Well that depends of how your head is shaped. I love the Airoh helmet, it's so comfortable. I've used both Fox and Shoei helmets lately and they fit really bad compared to the Airoh on my head.

|

#1
KX125

12/24/2017 3:30 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/24/2017 3:32 PM

We were sponsored by Just1 for 3 seasons and though they make a great helmet there was a logistic issue getting the new helmets in the states.

We are switching to the new LS2 helmet. It is just as light and has crazy ventilation. Our contact sent one for us to try out but I had to send it back for a meeting. We should ours next month.Photo

|

12/24/2017 10:55 PM

brocsdad wrote:

We were sponsored by Just1 for 3 seasons and though they make a great helmet there was a logistic issue getting the new helmets in the states.

We are switching to the new LS2 helmet. It is just as light and has crazy ventilation. Our contact sent one for us to try out but I had to send it back for a meeting. We should ours next month.Photo

That's a great looking helmet.

|

Part of Speech: Noun

Definition: A loser, poser, lame-ass. One who talks the talk, but could never walk the walk.

One who talks shit and doesn't back it up, but rather ends up eating their shit in return. A fuckin 'tard.


Usage: Slang

12/24/2017 10:56 PM

BobPA wrote:

I think if you are ringing you bell by bumping your head off small branches, you shouldn’t be riding a motorcycle.

BobPA wrote:

According to the internets the bell Moto 9 is 1450 grams and the Aviator 2.2 is 950 grams. A difference of 500 grams, or 1.1 lbs.

Edit: Did not want to quote myself.

Lynch wrote:

My Airoh Aviator 2.2 in size medium is said to be 950 +/- 50grams, real weigth on scale 1030 grams.

Bell Moto 9 Carbon claims to be 1450 in the size I use which is large, real weigth on scale 1320 grams.

Also only the smaller size shells (medium and lower) on the Aviators are 950 +/- 50g, large is 1050 +/- 50g.

I am under the impression that the Mediums and Small size Airoh's both share the same exact shell. It's the padding inside that is different.

Can anyone confirm this?

|

Part of Speech: Noun

Definition: A loser, poser, lame-ass. One who talks the talk, but could never walk the walk.

One who talks shit and doesn't back it up, but rather ends up eating their shit in return. A fuckin 'tard.


Usage: Slang

12/25/2017 4:08 AM

Jabroni wrote:

I am under the impression that the Mediums and Small size Airoh's both share the same exact shell. It's the padding inside that is different.

Can anyone confirm this?

True

|