Airbag for MX SX

bbhMoto
They make personal airbags for street riding, equestrian etc. Seems to provide good front, back, neck, coccyx protection.

I wonder why dirt guys don't use these. Or have they?

Deployment at 1:30 in the video.

|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
11/8/2019 1:07pm
Alpinestars Tech-Air

As for why they don't wear them, the cost is probably a factor at over $1000. Then there's the comfort issue. MX riders are a lot more active on the bike than street riders. Add in that it's probably really warm to wear, it's easy to see why guys would forgo the option to wear one.

Spooner
11/8/2019 8:04pm
They are using tech air in rally now.
JPT
11/9/2019 7:23am
Doubt they want it going off at every tip over.

The Shop

zippytech
11/9/2019 7:46am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Alpinestars [url=https://www.alpinestars.com/tech-air]Tech-Air[/url] As for why they don't wear them, the cost is probably a factor at over $1000. Then there's the comfort issue. MX riders are...
Alpinestars Tech-Air

As for why they don't wear them, the cost is probably a factor at over $1000. Then there's the comfort issue. MX riders are a lot more active on the bike than street riders. Add in that it's probably really warm to wear, it's easy to see why guys would forgo the option to wear one.

Maybe street riding but road racing you move a lot jumping from one side of the bike to the other.
11/9/2019 7:48am
I have had talks with Alpinestars and it’s in development for MX/SX but it presents more problems than road racing and rally. It’s coming, but not sure when.
40acres
11/9/2019 7:48am
Uncle Tony wrote:
Weight is always an issue in MX
To be fair, weight is always an issue in all racing.
Spooner
11/9/2019 8:53am
I have had talks with Alpinestars and it’s in development for MX/SX but it presents more problems than road racing and rally. It’s coming, but not...
I have had talks with Alpinestars and it’s in development for MX/SX but it presents more problems than road racing and rally. It’s coming, but not sure when.
A couple years ago they put the sensors on one of the GP guys with the roadrace algorithm they had at the time to get data. If they had the airbag on him I believe it would have gone off over 30 times and he never fell over in a 30 minute moto haha! Like you said, they are working on it. If I were to guess it would be much smaller, something like an A1 with an airbag built in.

Last year Shorty posted a video of the rally suit they use and it was basically one of their protection jackets with the LED panel in the arm and the airbag was all built in similar to what the roadrace setup is.

Post a reply to: Airbag for MX SX

The Latest