Air forks....I know nothing , and could use advice.

jeffro503
7/19/2016 10:22pm
Hey guys , I have about 1 month left and I'll be picking up a 2016 ( or possibly 2017 ) KX450F. I haven't owned a bike with the air forks yet and just had a couple questions.

Side note : shortly after I get her , the suspension is being driven strait to Factory connection.

1.) Do you guys check the air pressure after every ride? Like if I put in 6 motos that day , do I need to check it every time?

2.) how many chambers are there to check , or exactly which ones fluctuate that I need to check?

3.) And what do you guys actually change from morning practice when the tracks are smooth and fast , to when the track gets progressively rougher with more braking bumps and so forth?

I seriously know nothing about air forks , so any advice I can get to sink into my brain before hand may help me a lot. Are the air forks pretty simple to adjust once you get them down , or are they a PIA always?
|
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
7/19/2016 10:27pm

Sorry, I couldnt resist
Riesenberg448
Fantasy
1704th
7/19/2016 10:33pm
http://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/Tech-Tips-Airfork-Setup,12532/ML512,13480

This video is pretty solid and will be a good start.

Check your pressures and fill them in the correct order. It's a feel thing, some guys love air forks, some don't mind them, and others despise them. They do have a different feel, not necessarily better or worse all together; but definitely can be one way or another for different riders.

Last piece of advice I'd have is, remember that your air pressures act in place of your coil spring, and how often with a coil did you tune with spring rate? While some tuning is okay, using your clickers is still extremely important and many times will be the solution to get to where you want to be.

Hope that helps!

PS. I'd love for you to send your suspension to Race Tech instead! If that's something you'd consider, shoot me an email to chris@racetech.com.
Superdave19
7/19/2016 11:09pm
Your Kawi forks are a three chamber system. I can tell you from experience, it takes some testing/ time to set them up properly. It's very easy to get lost in the settings, so take notes on your adjustments.

I've noticed that the inner, and outer chambers stay fairly consistent most of the day. The balance chamber (the one on the bottom of the right fork leg) does seem to drop in pressure. At least mine does. Typically the inner chamber pressure is set within a few lbs of the balance chamber.. Outer chamber usually zero to 15. Yes, it is best to check the pressures before every moto. If the pressures are off, you'll know it-

I've got a RM-Z450, but I hear the Kawi's valving is a bit better. I bet you'll still need to re-valve, but I'd at least break it in w/ the stock stuff first to find a base setting, and find out the short comings of the valving.

I'm running 164 inner, 5 outer, and 158 balance, but is likely specific to my re-valve.

Hope this helps
7/20/2016 1:53am
Im running:

Inner: 188
Outer: 0
Balance: 188

suzuki rmz 450-15, showa triple sff

checking everytime im about to go out and ride.

The Shop

scott_nz
Fantasy
597th
7/20/2016 2:57am
there is a SFF air app for iphones that i have used,

i have a 15 kx450 with the triple air fork, i found a setting i liked and stick with it, ill check it in the morning of the ride, and do my tyre pressures then as well, then leave it all day, its easy to get lost with all the settings,
Justin345
7/20/2016 5:20am
[url=http://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/Tech-Tips-Airfork-Setup,12532/ML512,13480]http://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/Tech-Tips-Airfork-Setup,12532/ML512,13480[/url] This video is pretty solid and will be a good start. Check your pressures and fill them in the correct order. It's a feel thing...
http://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/Tech-Tips-Airfork-Setup,12532/ML512,13480

This video is pretty solid and will be a good start.

Check your pressures and fill them in the correct order. It's a feel thing, some guys love air forks, some don't mind them, and others despise them. They do have a different feel, not necessarily better or worse all together; but definitely can be one way or another for different riders.

Last piece of advice I'd have is, remember that your air pressures act in place of your coil spring, and how often with a coil did you tune with spring rate? While some tuning is okay, using your clickers is still extremely important and many times will be the solution to get to where you want to be.

Hope that helps!

PS. I'd love for you to send your suspension to Race Tech instead! If that's something you'd consider, shoot me an email to chris@racetech.com.
Perfect advice. Once you find the air pressure combo that works for you, use the comp/reb clickers! So many people get wrapped up into changing the air pressure that they forget to ever touch the clickers. And like Chris said, how many times do you change spring rates in the middle of the day on your spring forks?

I always checked mine at the very beginning of the day and then mid day. Checking them every time you go out would be overkill IMO. The only time I saw the pressure rise would be when I checked it in the AM and by mid day if the temp had gone up 20 degrees, so it was worth rechecking mid day.
mxb2
7/20/2016 5:47am
jeffro503 wrote:
Hey guys , I have about 1 month left and I'll be picking up a 2016 ( or possibly 2017 ) KX450F. I haven't owned a...
Hey guys , I have about 1 month left and I'll be picking up a 2016 ( or possibly 2017 ) KX450F. I haven't owned a bike with the air forks yet and just had a couple questions.

Side note : shortly after I get her , the suspension is being driven strait to Factory connection.

1.) Do you guys check the air pressure after every ride? Like if I put in 6 motos that day , do I need to check it every time?

2.) how many chambers are there to check , or exactly which ones fluctuate that I need to check?

3.) And what do you guys actually change from morning practice when the tracks are smooth and fast , to when the track gets progressively rougher with more braking bumps and so forth?

I seriously know nothing about air forks , so any advice I can get to sink into my brain before hand may help me a lot. Are the air forks pretty simple to adjust once you get them down , or are they a PIA always?
Plenty of you tube info out there, showa app, read the manual,buy a service manual .
ricko
7/20/2016 6:43am

-NO, at first I did and nothing changed so wasted time. I check it once a month if that. No issues or major changes for me.

-3 chambers, I was told to check them outer, inner, and then balance, seems to work well.

-Only chamber I have messed around with was the balance chamber on the bottom of fork, I fluctuated pressure there for how fast it rebounds back on certain tracks. I like the air, everyone makes it more of a big deal then it is, most of them people dont have air forks.
murph783
7/20/2016 6:43am
I've been setting up a couple new kxf's, haven't gotten to really test with any yet though. Anyone notice that they tend to lose a little puff of air when they take the pump off the balance chamber? Never happens on the top valves, so I'm wondering if it's an issue with my pump or something common
Markopolo400
7/20/2016 6:49am
Why don't you ride it stock a few times so you can actually tell your boinger tuner what you like/dont like instead of just getting a cookie cutter set-up.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
7/20/2016 6:56am
ricko wrote:
1.) Do you guys check the air pressure after every ride? Like if I put in 6 motos that day , do I need to check...

-NO, at first I did and nothing changed so wasted time. I check it once a month if that. No issues or major changes for me.

-3 chambers, I was told to check them outer, inner, and then balance, seems to work well.

-Only chamber I have messed around with was the balance chamber on the bottom of fork, I fluctuated pressure there for how fast it rebounds back on certain tracks. I like the air, everyone makes it more of a big deal then it is, most of them people dont have air forks.
Elevation and outside temperature effect the pressures, they should be checked before each day of practice... (At the track, so the elevation is the same as where you'll be riding) Once a month is NOT recommended...
7/20/2016 6:56am
I would recommend putting some time (break-in) on the suspension first just so you can see what was original then go from there with adjustments. Unless you are heavier or way lighter and the spring rate is off ride it stock and see what you have and adjust from there. JMO
ricko
7/20/2016 7:13am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2016 7:14am
ricko wrote:
1.) Do you guys check the air pressure after every ride? Like if I put in 6 motos that day , do I need to check...

ML512 wrote:
Elevation and outside temperature effect the pressures, they should be checked before each day of practice... (At the track, so the elevation is the same as...
Elevation and outside temperature effect the pressures, they should be checked before each day of practice... (At the track, so the elevation is the same as where you'll be riding) Once a month is NOT recommended...
I guess I should have added I only get to ride maybe 4 times a month, I'm also not putting in hard 30 min motos Sad , if I rode 3/4 times a week I would check it more. But ML512 would know more then me so I would listen to him. Wink
jeffro503
7/20/2016 8:27am
Thanks guys. So far I've learned a lot already. The air forks were one of the obstacles I was worried about with these newer bikes. Sounds like it's not that big of a deal once you get things figured out.
Titan1
7/20/2016 8:45am
ricko wrote:

#1 Is true for me as well.

I like my air forks.

Just remember, the air replaces the spring. How often to you see people changing out springs between motos to compensate for a rougher track? Never. They spring it for their weight, and then leave it alone. So it makes no sense to adjust air pressure all the time. Find a pressure setting that works for your weight (factory connection will probably give you a recommended pressure setting-if that is where the OP is sending it) and then make adjustments for the track with the clickers like you would on a traditional spring fork.

I very seldom check my air pressure unless I'm riding somewhere at a significantly higher/lower elevation or higher/lower temp than where I usually ride. I used to do it all the time, but I found that the pressure never changed, so I just stopped doing it and ride it.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
7/20/2016 8:55am
ricko wrote:

Titan1 wrote:
#1 Is true for me as well. I like my air forks. Just remember, the air replaces the spring. How often to you see people changing...
#1 Is true for me as well.

I like my air forks.

Just remember, the air replaces the spring. How often to you see people changing out springs between motos to compensate for a rougher track? Never. They spring it for their weight, and then leave it alone. So it makes no sense to adjust air pressure all the time. Find a pressure setting that works for your weight (factory connection will probably give you a recommended pressure setting-if that is where the OP is sending it) and then make adjustments for the track with the clickers like you would on a traditional spring fork.

I very seldom check my air pressure unless I'm riding somewhere at a significantly higher/lower elevation or higher/lower temp than where I usually ride. I used to do it all the time, but I found that the pressure never changed, so I just stopped doing it and ride it.
Titan nails it on the head, the air pressure is your spring. Once you find something that feels generally towards what you like, go to the clickers to fine-tune it. With the air forks (specifically the Showa SFF TAC), it feels like some have forgotten there are still compression and rebound clickers in there.
jeffro503
7/20/2016 9:04am
So changing air pressure is just like changing the fork springs.How many lbs is equivalent to one step up or down in spring rates?
7/20/2016 10:38pm
ricko wrote:

ML512 wrote:
Elevation and outside temperature effect the pressures, they should be checked before each day of practice... (At the track, so the elevation is the same as...
This is what I do. Check air. Lube chain. Etc. gear up. Ride
Indy mxer
7/21/2016 4:35am
ricko wrote:

ML512 wrote:
This is what I do. Check air. Lube chain. Etc. gear up. Ride
Same for me. I have a 16 Kawi 450 and love it. I don't get to ride every week so I check pressure the morning I'm riding. It's always off some.
I weigh 155 so I had Factory Connection do my suspension.
They did an awesome job. And whenever I need advice on adjustments, their customer service is always helpful.

I think the air forks work very well when you get them dialed in. But until then they can be confusing.
brocster
7/21/2016 4:52am
Question for the guys using the Showa app. How close were recommended pressures after entering all of you pertinent data?
cjmx
Fantasy
1180th
7/21/2016 7:14am Edited Date/Time 7/21/2016 7:18am
check the settings immediately after doing a few fast laps. The pressure will change.

Post a reply to: Air forks....I know nothing , and could use advice.

The Latest