Air Travel with a Gear Bag: the airlines and TSA

TeamGreen
Edited Date/Time 6/29/2022 6:20pm
I travel a lot for work and often take a gear bag with me (I squeeze a bit of Moto, Off-Road and ADV riding in to my travel/work).

When traveling by air there are a couple of good things to “know before you go”:

1. If you don’t travel a lot and you’re buying the Cheapest Ticket that you can find? Be aware that you REALLY need to know the “Baggage Fees” and be sure to look at “size and weight” requirements/limits/additional fees for your bag.

SIZE is one of the limitations/additional fee considerations.

WEIGHT: Know the weight limitations & WEIGH YOUR BAG. If your bag’s weight is right at the limit? Assume your scale is off a little bit and make it a pound or two lighter than the limit…unless you’ve got a really good scale.

Some of the larger Gear Bags can be considered “over sized” by some of the airlines.

Travelers Hint: Sometimes you can spend a few dollars more on a ticket that has considerably better "baggage allowances" & other perks. Study the various tickets that are available for your flight and the benefits that they provide.

2. TSA: assume they’re gonna go through your bag. Zippers, latches and clasps need to be UNLOCKED & all sections need to be able to be opened. Here’s a pic of my bag with the Zip-Ty’s they used to seal it up after they inspected it (also, that’s the tag they’re gonna leave in your luggage to let you know they did their thing). This DOES NOT HAPPEN IN YOUR PRESENCE. This usually happens in the “Baggage Handling Areas” that are after you drop it off at the counter.

Buried amidst all that is a back-pack with a laptop, I-pad and other electronics that they inspected.
They put another tag in the laptop to let me know they inspected it/pulled it.
They put everything back like they found it. They almost always do.
I pack so that what they want to look at (electronics) is/are easy to pull out. Pack accordingly if you can.

My bag is one of the bigger bags available and often is a little heavier than the std limit (55 pounds in my case/my airline). I travel a lot & get a few perks for being a “mileage club member” of my airline: I don’t pay additional fees for over-size or weight up to 70 pounds.

I’m gonna say it AGAIN…Know ALL the weight, size and baggage fees BEFORE you go! I’ve seen friends get some VERY UNPLEASANT SURPRISES at the airport!

My bag was just over the 55 pound std weight and they labeled it “Heavy”. That’s an add’l fee.

Note: as I recall, Southwest allows 2 bags…or they “allowed” 2 bags last time I’d inquired…for NO CHARGE.

Note II: Airports are Pure Insanity lately…lines/wait times to check your bag can be hideous…
Check your Airport/Airline web-site for these wait times.

Good luck & I’ll see ya at the races!

Manny

|
motomad724
Fantasy
1036th
6/29/2022 9:00am Edited Date/Time 6/29/2022 9:03am
I dunno there's a lot of CAPS in that post Wink

Great info. I've never known them to zip-ty bags back up. Meaning the zippers in place of a lock?

Allegiant Air charges ala-cart for everything including the seat you pick (if you choose a specific seat which you don't have to)
TeamGreen
6/29/2022 9:07am
motomad724 wrote:
I dunno there's a lot of CAPS in that post ;) Great info. I've never known them to zip-ty bags back up. Meaning the zippers in...

Great info. I've never known them to zip-ty bags back up. Meaning the zippers in place of a lock?

Allegiant Air charges ala-cart for everything including the seat you pick (if you choose a specific seat which you don't have to)
Yup. They Zip them closed after they've inspected them. I kinda like that!
DonM
6/29/2022 9:31am
motomad724 wrote:
I dunno there's a lot of CAPS in that post ;) Great info. I've never known them to zip-ty bags back up. Meaning the zippers in...

TeamGreen wrote:
Yup. They Zip them closed after they've inspected them. I kinda like that!
When I go on sailing trips in the Caribbean we always take a lot of our food (steak and meats)with us(we'll buy seafood & alcohol there) we put it in Yetis frozen with dry ice and duct tape extra zip ties inside the on the lid and the TSA will always use the ties to secure them after they inspect them.
Most airlines weight limit is 50lbs, some of the budget airlines is 40lbs...It never fails that I see someone with their bags open and re-packing their belongings to get under the weight limit!!
mvmx
6/29/2022 9:49am
Hey Manny,

Put that good info to use, still a few fleas that want to work U in the whoops of dirty jerzz...

Hope you're well!
M

The Shop

ti473
6/29/2022 9:58am
I travel with my bike quite a bit and my bike bag has been inspected every single time. Also FWIW, i once wasted money on TSA approved locks (the ones they should have a key for) that were promptly cut at inspection.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
6/29/2022 11:04am
if youre bag is over the weight limit, it is usually cheaper to take out a heavy item and treat it as a second checked bag (if you have the ability to do)

Oversized varies from airport to airport, your bag you checked and had no issues with may very well be considered oversized on your flight back.
Roostermx58
6/29/2022 11:07am
In the past almost 3 years, I have taken roughly 50 flights. The one single piece of advice I can give you is to pay the $85 for TSA precheck. This will allow you to pass through security fairly quickly.
Skerby
6/29/2022 11:12am
This one worked for me in bentonville. Bag is overweight so I checked it at the gate and no one weighed it.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
6/29/2022 11:15am
An important thing to note: if you are flying internationally, WASH YOUR GEAR AND BOOTS! Countries are absolutely insane about transporting soils from one ecosystem to another. They want to avoid invasive species, including microorganisms. I've heard about boots being confiscated or refused entry to/from Australia.
cse
Fantasy
2136th
6/29/2022 11:48am
Great info. We're doing an ADV tour in Europe. Plan is to check our gear bags going and then ship them back . The tour company is recommending we carry our helmets on and not leave them in the checked gear bag. I'm assuming to avoid some type of potential damage. Anyone ever heard of this?
Tonynz
6/29/2022 11:51am
Something I learnt recently is that on our national airline, Air New Zealand is that they classify a helmet as a dangerous item , so in theory it can be used as a weapon. You are not supposed to take it as carry on, should be checked in.
In saying that I have flown with my helmet as carry on on domestic flights and overseas flights many times and have never had an issue.
pbody
Fantasy
320th
6/29/2022 11:56am
Has anyone ever been charged oversize for an Ogio 9800? The dimensions are larger than most airlines limit, but since it's not perfectly square and if not overly packed, you could argue the true dimensions. So just curious what people have ran into.
DonM
6/29/2022 12:38pm
pbody wrote:
Has anyone ever been charged oversize for an Ogio 9800? The dimensions are larger than most airlines limit, but since it's not perfectly square and if...
Has anyone ever been charged oversize for an Ogio 9800? The dimensions are larger than most airlines limit, but since it's not perfectly square and if not overly packed, you could argue the true dimensions. So just curious what people have ran into.
Most duffle bags as long they are under the weight limit are not considered oversized…now fishing poles, skis ect… are considered over sized by some airlines
TeamGreen
6/29/2022 1:15pm
Sooooo stoked on the Dialogue of this thread.

My peeps ain’t fools!
TeamGreen
6/29/2022 1:16pm
pbody wrote:
Has anyone ever been charged oversize for an Ogio 9800? The dimensions are larger than most airlines limit, but since it's not perfectly square and if...
DonM wrote:
Most duffle bags as long they are under the weight limit are not considered oversized…now fishing poles, skis ect… are considered over sized by some airlines
If you can get a fishing rod broken down like a combo rod? You can carry it on.
zookrider62!
Fantasy
583rd
6/29/2022 1:41pm
pbody wrote:
my reference to bags being oversized is directly because of the Ogio 9800. I've flown with it for years and randomly received an oversized back charge from ATL.
TeamGreen
6/29/2022 2:55pm
pbody wrote:
my reference to bags being oversized is directly because of the Ogio 9800. I've flown with it for years and randomly received an oversized back charge...
my reference to bags being oversized is directly because of the Ogio 9800. I've flown with it for years and randomly received an oversized back charge from ATL.
Those rules belong to your airline: when you’re checking in, have them clarify/explain your specific concerns.

“Additional Fees SUCK!”
philG
6/29/2022 3:56pm
I got screwed over at Las Vegas, flew in with my gear bag from UK, no issues for size or weight ( like you said, know your limits) .

On the way back ... your bag is too big, you have to buy a box to put it in, and that will be $400 dollars ..

So i ask how much too big it is, and she cant tell me. So i ask how can it be too big, when you cant tell what the limit is and she calls security.. they turn up and threaten to have me arrested .

My wife intervenes, with the paperwork that shows the bag conforms, to the airline standards, and she still insists it doesnt, despite not measuring it.

Then Mrs pulls out a tape measure from her bag , and proves its within the size.

Then she says its overweight.

So Mrs pulls out my MX boots, and removes all her dirty laundry, and puts it in the bin, and tells me to put the boots on, and then pulls a small ratchet strap out , and ratchets the thing down about 6 inches... by now there is a huge queue, and we are not stepping out.

Security guy is not happy.

Supervisor gets called, and Mrs properly loses it, floods of tears , real meltdown, the supervisor tells the woman to print our passes, which she does , and the supervisor turns and gets the hell out of there , Mrs reaches for the passes, and literally just smiles and laughs at the woman .. i was stunned... funny as fuck.

Got pulled at Berlin airport security once , for having a full slipper clutch and ECU in my hand carry. That was a challenging conversation.

TeamGreen
6/29/2022 4:27pm
philG wrote:
I got screwed over at Las Vegas, flew in with my gear bag from UK, no issues for size or weight ( like you said, know...
I got screwed over at Las Vegas, flew in with my gear bag from UK, no issues for size or weight ( like you said, know your limits) .

On the way back ... your bag is too big, you have to buy a box to put it in, and that will be $400 dollars ..

So i ask how much too big it is, and she cant tell me. So i ask how can it be too big, when you cant tell what the limit is and she calls security.. they turn up and threaten to have me arrested .

My wife intervenes, with the paperwork that shows the bag conforms, to the airline standards, and she still insists it doesnt, despite not measuring it.

Then Mrs pulls out a tape measure from her bag , and proves its within the size.

Then she says its overweight.

So Mrs pulls out my MX boots, and removes all her dirty laundry, and puts it in the bin, and tells me to put the boots on, and then pulls a small ratchet strap out , and ratchets the thing down about 6 inches... by now there is a huge queue, and we are not stepping out.

Security guy is not happy.

Supervisor gets called, and Mrs properly loses it, floods of tears , real meltdown, the supervisor tells the woman to print our passes, which she does , and the supervisor turns and gets the hell out of there , Mrs reaches for the passes, and literally just smiles and laughs at the woman .. i was stunned... funny as fuck.

Got pulled at Berlin airport security once , for having a full slipper clutch and ECU in my hand carry. That was a challenging conversation.

Next time…

U call a brother!
Nick_Lalanne
6/29/2022 4:38pm
Anything with batteries will get searched if its checked. laptop or anything like that. my son is into combat robots and we are planning on flying to some events and they all say to put the batteries in carryon.

For work my bags where always searched, then they told me its because of the laptop in it. Take that as caryon if you dont want your checked baggage gone through
TeamGreen
6/29/2022 6:20pm
SEE ARE125 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/06/29/557232/s1200_BF086EEA_DE27_487D_A155_605F21B033E5.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/06/29/557233/s1200_A4BBBDF9_EF3A_439C_B78D_E4BB61EBD30C.jpg[/img]

I get to check 2 bags/up to 70#. I’ve bought another bag…
More than a few times!
Woohoo
DonM
6/29/2022 9:04pm
pbody wrote:
DonM wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
If you can get a fishing rod broken down like a combo rod? You can carry it on.
I was thinking more of the deep sea fishing guys that bring multiple rods that even when broken down are pretty big
Broughton859
6/30/2022 7:55am
100% agree with everything in this thread.

One tip that just came up on my last trip is take off your helmet visor when checking your bag. I usually just lossened them but kept them on the helmet but on my last flight the visor was cracked in half. Luckily I had an extra but worth bringing up.

CarleyDoyle
7/6/2023 5:12pm Edited Date/Time 7/10/2023 2:18am

Hey there! Thanks so much for sharing your insights on air travel with a gear bag. I totally agree with you about being mindful of baggage fees, size, and weight limits. It's always better to play it safe and have a lighter bag than risk going over the limit. And thanks for the reminder about unlocking zippers and clasps for TSA inspections - it definitely makes the process smoother. Oh, and by the way, I recently came across this website vonbaer.com that has a great selection of leather bags. Thought you might be interested. Anyway, I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say thanks for the helpful tips and wish you all the best with your travels.

Post a reply to: Air Travel with a Gear Bag: the airlines and TSA

The Latest